• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most satisfying gore & violence

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
it's not gory, but this is always a fun way to kill enemies:

whee4z7i.jpg

Manhunt had very satisfying sniper headshots. The character models had some sort of skull-structure under their faces and it would cave in really gruesomely. I was shocked the first time I blew somebody's face off. And saw their skull.

Nessus

Host Samurai said:
RE4 hands down best head shots ever.

Agreed, but the gore/violence in general.

The shotgun was really satisfying, as was the rifle, etc.

I need to replay that.

Piggus

TheVampire said:
Yep

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8918/63810634.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hehe glorious.

Also, [url=http://www.totaljerkface.com/happy_wheels.php]PLAY THIS! ;D[/url]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Munin said:
ITT people not understanding the difference between "most satisfying gore" and "most gore".

ITT who gives a fuck

this thread is for celebrating all gory and violent games, no discrimination at all

sonicmj1

RE4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 would be my standouts for satisfying gore.

The fantastic feedback to your actions in those games is what makes the action so satisfying.

11r3cy8.jpg

Blood had some cool death animations in it. Kicking around a zombie head was new for me as well.

revolverjgw said:
Manhunt had very satisfying sniper headshots. The character models had some sort of skull-structure under their faces and it would cave in really gruesomely. I was shocked the first time I blew somebody's face off. And saw their skull.

You're right. That game had some great gore, and the shooting parts were surprisingly fun for a melee centered game.

Strike

RE4 and God of War (series)

Honorable Mentions:
shadow-of-rome.624148.jpg

Shadow of Rome - I can't think of any other game where you could actually make an npc piss themselves out of fear or the choice of whether to crush/break/sever limbs.

930277_20080924_embed003.jpg

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - Very surprising amount of gore for a military shooter.

jns

It has to be Ninja Gaiden 2 on xbox. The best part is when the gore becomes part of the gameplay, I'm looking at those wearwolves who throw servered limbs to knock me out of my combos >:E

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
1XePg.jpg

Vvvvvvrrrr-roooomrooomrrooom

I do feel bad for not mentioning the Dead Rising games (not many available pics of the hugely superior sequel), so many awesome ways to cause violence

Raide

I loved Diablo 2's gore. Was fun hitting some mini-boss and watching it explode over a 10-foot radius. :D

Glad Turok 2 got mentioned, since it has some of the best cerebral-gore in the world!

I still think Quake + Quad Damage = Ludicrous Gibs. Looked awesome and sounded great!

Soilder of fortune was pretty fun at the time.

God of War is really visceral and makes you feel like a powerful killing machine. Same with Ninja Gaiden 2.

Gears' headshots and melee chainsaw kills definately.

Dead Space all the way. Strategic dismemberment is inherently satisfying. Flipping the head shot paradigm on its, er, head was genius. Hell, just throwing lifeless corpses around in zero gravity is delightful. The combat in DS2 was even sweeter with the added impaling, even though they overplayed it well before the end.

lilltias

Actually, getting a critical hit in Baldurs Gate is really fucking satisfying. Bones and body parts flying in all directions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
abracadaver said:
the gore effects in dead rising 1 are better than in dead rising 2

I dunno, man, I can't think of anything in DR1 that compares to smashing a spiked bat into the side of a zombie's head

SalsaShark said:
Satisfying gore is all about sound design most of the times.

definitely, those squishy mushy crackly sounds are very important

nib95

Banned
In recent memory, Geras of War sniper headshot

gow_headshot.jpg

And Killzone 2/3's shotgun headshot spring to mind

2h7ge8j.jpg

The satisfaction of a well times and aimed exploding headshot. That awesome sound...lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can't say I really care much about gore or violence, but the fact that playing Dead Space was basically like walking through a squishy goopy liquidy bog wearing rubber galoshes entertained me to no end.

Grayman

The Quake 2 rail gibs are the most satisfying with their squish sound and spray.

Fallout 2 had really good sprite deaths like burst fire tearing a torso to shreds.

Dascu

MadWorld has some very brutal kills. You can rip out beating hearts, impale enemy's skulls and spinal cords on a machete, decapitate your foes or just slice them up with your chainsaw.

87hy0.jpg
rdP5U.jpg

amYAd.jpg
LHN8G.jpg

6c4lD.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fallout-NL said:
11r3cy8.jpg

Blood had some cool death animations in it. Kicking around a zombie head was new for me as well.

You're right. That game had some great gore, and the shooting parts were surprisingly fun for a melee centered game.
It is definitely a toss up between Blood and FEAR.

FEAR2_4.jpg

Meatiest shogun in the history of videogames.

Special award goes to Diablo for some crazy disembowelment animations.

Top Bottom