• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies you have seen recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hairspray is really good. Amanda Bynes and her dude in it make one hell of a hot couple, but not as hot as Michelle Pfeiffer. How does she do it?

Jasoco

Banned
Cdammen said:
(EDIT 1) Oh yeah. Spiderman 3 - I watched half the movie then turned it off... ungh...
You missed the good half. YOu missed the Peter Parker Strut. Watch it again. It's so bad it's hilarious. Plus it all makes sense if you read the comics.

Anyways, right now I am watching Equilibrium. Dammmmmn this is awesome. Fahrenheit 451 meets 1984 meets The Matrix. He just cut off his face!! WTF??

Xzior

Jasoco said:
You missed the good half. YOu missed the Peter Parker Strut. Watch it again. It's so bad it's hilarious. Plus it all makes sense if you read the comics.

Wait... what... how? explain pls.

Dali

Just finished Perfume. Great movie even though the ending was telegraphed.
When Jean spilled some of the hooker essence on him and his asshole boss had a sudden change of disposition, it was fairly obvious he was going evade punishment for the murders with his perfume.

Anyways, right now I am watching Equilibrium. Dammmmmn this is awesome. Fahrenheit 451 meets 1984 meets The Matrix. He just cut off his face!! WTF??

That was an awesome action movie. With all the Bale, group-think, cock-sucking going on, I really don't understand the Gaf contingent that hates this movie.

Odysseus

Banned
it's been dvd-rewatching weekend

i went through lord of the rings thursday-saturday, and am on leg 2 of the indiana jones trilogy, uh, right now. if i ever hit play.

Jasoco said:

Funny you mention this-- after seeing the horrible Underworld, my wife and I expressed how we had hoped it's be more like Equilibrium.

master15

Being back home, gave me the allowance of watching a lot of DVD's of late.

Mission Impossible Really enjoyed this, certainly my favourite of all 3 films. Great sound-track and suprisingly the effects and CG still looks pretty good even now. Red light, green light- DePalma really knows how to craft special scenes.

Mission Impossible 2 I like Tom Cruise, I really do but not so much so I can stomach this film. There are elements and scenes I do like but it pales to in comparison to the original and so many leaps of logic in this film, it's just not worth thinking about. John Woo really, really needs to find himself again because everything post Face Off I've seen of his, has been complete crap.

The Mexican Really, really love this film. Big fan of Gore Verbinski's non-Pirates films like the Weatherman. Fantastic score, some nice performances and a film that's certainly very off-kilter and not predictable.

Blow out After hearing Taratino talk about how Travolta's performance in this film convinved him to cast him in Pulp Ficiton and being a Depalma fan I thought I would give it a shot. Not a bad little film filled with typical touches you expect from the director. Didn't see the ending coming and I kind of liked it actually. Lithgow is pretty bad-ass in his short role too.

Sicko Not bad but not even remotely presented evenly. NHS is filled with problems Michael, big problems.

Matrix Hey, love this film and action sequences. Why did you have to be so shit Revolutions? :(

Terminator 2 My favourite all-time action movie. Enough said.

Alucard

Banned
LordMaji said:
:lol :lol

Fuck you Michael Bay! :lol

Seriously. It may have had something to do with the fact that I saw the movie while travelling on a plane, but I hated just about every single moment of it. Action movie cliches, a bunch of stuff blowing up, and people yelling from beginning to end. It was utterly annoying and obnoxious, and I was cringing for almost the entire movie.

Transformers - TOTAL CRAP.

DTJAAAAM

I finally got around to watching the Usual Suspects since it was available On Demand. Loved it! I've viewed it quite a few times since then, I'll probably track down a DVD copy before it is removed from Comcast.

icarus-daedelus said:
What did you think of it?

I thought all along that Platoon was the name of the main character in the movie before I saw this movie. So naturally I thought the famous Dafoe scene which appears on many covers was the ending of the movie where the main character dies. Didn't know who played that role either. To be honest I didn't know anything about this movie or who starred in it (Charlie Sheen? Wow didn't expect that) with the exception that Oliver Stone directed it. And I was surprised at how many famous faces I saw.
It's a great Vietnam movie but I liked Born on the Fourth of July better.

Mama Smurf said:
Hairspray is really good. Amanda Bynes and her dude in it make one hell of a hot couple, but not as hot as Michelle Pfeiffer. How does she do it?

checkerboard girl! One of my favourite movies this year. Great cast and performances all round.

Jasoco

Banned
Duderz said:
I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time the night before Thanksgiving.
Me too. I just had to see what the hype was about. I had only seen snippets before.

Right now I am watching Blade Runner. Before that I watched Willow. And before that, The Fountain. Right after I watched Equilibrium.

harSon

Banned
B0009KA7B8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Was pretty surprised with this movie, was actually very well done and pretty awesome.

bittersweet_life_cover_gross.jpg

I've actually seen this before but I had purchased the DVD a few days ago. Simply put this movie is GOOD, one of the best Korean films I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it then please do.

No Country For Old Men- Awesome.

harSon

Banned
ghost_dog.jpg

Awesome Movie. At first glance the movie may seem like a joke, believe me it's not. The movie is beautiful and extremely well done.

Dali

harSon said:
ghost_dog.jpg

Awesome Movie. At first glance the movie may seem like a joke, believe me it's not. The movie is beautiful and extremely well done.

Oh snap. We should have a lttp thread for you. I love this movie. It's possible I've seen this movie more than any other, but I don't really keep count of such things.

Anyway the movie is sort of a joke, or at least includes comedic elements. I remember the very first time I saw it, I was like, yeah Ghost Dog is a badass taking out the entire mob. Then I actually watched it and was a little less impressed with what he was doing. He was picking off a group of people that were basically just a bunch of old guys. Maybe they used to be big timers, but now they are broke and didn't even get respect from the restaurant owners they were renting space from. The whole way the broken down mob thing was treated was kind of funny.

My favorite part would be the relationship between Ghost Dog and the French guy. Also the hagakure quotes were interesting and made me want to pick it up, but I still haven't done that yet.

harSon

Banned
Dali said:
Oh snap. We should have a lttp thread for you. I love this movie. It's possible I've seen this movie more than any other, but I don't really keep count of such things.

Anyway the movie is sort of a joke, or at least includes comedic elements. I remember the very first time I saw it, I was like, yeah Ghost Dog is a badass taking out the entire mob. Then I actually watched it and was a little less impressed with what he was doing. He was picking off a group of people that were basically just a bunch of old guys. Maybe they used to be big timers, but now they are broke and didn't even get respect from the restaurant owners they were renting space from. The whole way the broken down mob thing was treated was kind of funny.

My favorite part would be the relationship between Ghost Dog and the French guy. Also the hagakure quotes were interesting and made me want to pick it up, but I still haven't done that yet.

Yeah his relationship with the Ice Cream man was brilliant. Really, really underrated movie. The movie is pretty deep despite its comedic elements.

Stridone

Banned
2001: A Space Odyssey. Finally saw it. Brilliant movie, really. I'm surely watching this one again soon.

Also, Sunshine. Not a masterpiece like 2001, but I loved it nonetheless.

Here is what I have seen in theaters recently and rented from Block Buster:

American Gangster - way cool movie, but a little dissapointed from what I was expecting.

Chuck & Larry - Hilarious lol

Welcome To The Jungle - Think blair witch project but throw in a jungle setting in new ginea with wild tribesman as the hunters.

Saphirre Falls - Western movie thats pretty good.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow did anyone else see the 2005-ish Volvo in American Gangster? its about 1:40 or so into the movie when Denzel is making the phone call to Bangkok from the cafe, calling about
the end of the war

i just thought it was funny that they missed that.

I saw Hannibal for the first time the other day. At first I had no idea what it was I was just watching the open credits and when it said Ridley Scott I got interested. The movie was alright, but the lack of Jodie Foster was kind of annoying. Everytime someone was talking to Clarice I kept thinking "that bitch is not fucking Clarice Starling where the hell is Jodie Foster?" Also this movie made me realize that I don't really like Ray Liotta. Actors who sound and talk the exact same way in every film they're in piss me off, which is probably one of the reasons I loved what happens to him in the end of the movie.

Jasoco

Banned
For the first time:

Barton Fink
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Butterfly Effect
Pan's Labyrinth
Black Snake Moan
Prozac Nation
Jacob's Ladder
Willow
Blade Runner
The Fountain
Equilibrium
Ratatouille

For a second time:

Labyrinth
Primer

For the millionth time:

Donnie Darko

I love movies. What can I say.

Blackface

Banned
element said:
So I have been renting a fair amount of movies and thought I'd make a thread to see what others have been watching recently.

Planet Terror
Holy shit was this movie lame. I had to turn it off because I got bored, only to finish it a couple hours later.

Rise
This is that Lucy Lu vampire movie. It actually isn't that bad, accept for the freaking movie jumps all over the place, present, flashback, future, past, flashback, mind hurting, WTF, what is going on. The director should he slapped in the face with film canisters for a month after that.

The Devil's Backbone
I really enjoyed Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth, so I decided to check out his earlier work, and another great storytelling film by del Toro. Pacing was right on, and some very creepy moments without being 'bloody'. I look forward to del Toro tackling Lovecraft with At the Mountains of Madness.

The Reaping
Another lame ass movie. This one was going no where fast, but I decided to finish it. Not really creepy at all, or entertaining.

I actually liked this movie. It reminded me of another John Cusack, Identity. For some reason I thought this movie was going to be scary, perhaps the trailer sold me on that. But it was an alright suspence film.

Next
Next movie please...

I finally saw 300. It was pretty good, not the awesome movie that some were calling it. I am interested in seeing what Zack Snyder with The Watchmen....hehehehehe
_1185732509.jpg

the point of Planet Terror was to be lame and sarcastic.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I saw Enchanted sunday night. Best disney movie since Mary Poppins, for real!
Amy Adams! So dreamy! Starstruck am total!

I also saw It's A Wonderful Life for the first time wednesday night. It was good, but the formatting on my friends TV was screwed up (edges cut off) and some of his roommates friends were talking and making fun of it the whole time so I couldn't really get into it. However I do like to imagine that
the dude remembered where he left his money and the evil bad guy goes to jail for stealing what is almost pocket change to him.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time the other day. I cant believe how long its taken me to watch this movie. I loved it.

I watched snatch again. I've watched it way too many times. It never gets boring, its such an entertaining movie. Its got action, its funny, its got brilliant characters and its full of great quotes.

Cdammen

Superbad - So many good jokes and the ending was just perfect. McLovin is such a pimp.

2 Days In Paris - I enjoy low-key dramas/comedies/farces and this one was quite good. At times it felt as if the couple was played by Woody Allen and Diane Keaton.

Fletch - Really LTTP on this one. I've seen the second movie but never this one. I never get tired of Chevy Chase :)

And now I'm gonna watch Gen-Y-Cops (second time) and Hardboiled (lost count on this one) with some friends.

Kjellson said:
The dialogue scene preceding this screenshot... made me feel sick. It was so disturbing hearing him talk about the dream, hearing the music by Badlamenti and feeling the tension build up. ***** is a master of suspense.

(EDIT) Why is L_y_n_c_h banned?

YakiSOBA

Watched 'Two For The Money' last night with Al Pacino and Matthew Mcconaughey -- pretty good movie, I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for something random to watch :)

YakiSOBA said:
Watched 'Two For The Money' last night with Al Pacino and Matthew Mcconaughey -- pretty good movie, I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for something random to watch :)
always thought that was a terrible title for this movie. I just dont think the use of a cliche term as a movie title fits this particular movie's tone

Tim-E

I watched Southland Tales for the second time last night. Watched it for the first time earlier in the week. I really enjoyed it. It's sort of all over the place and going into the movie without being familiar with the graphic novels, some things won't make a lot of sense. But a lot of the main stuff in the graphic novels is explained in the first part of the movie. Most people will call this movie a mess, and it is, but I thought it was incredibly entertaining and compelling. It reminds me of Donnie Darko in some ways, and considering it's coming from Richard Kelly that makes sense. I've been a big Darko fan for years now and I had been looking forward to this movie for some time, which explains why I liked it so much. A lot of people complain about the cast, but I think they all fit pretty well in their roles in the movie.

A lot of people are going to hate this movie, but oh well. I enjoyed it. If you have any sort of interest in it, give it a shot at least.

bengraven

Just watched 28 Weeks Later last night. What a disappointment. Terrible cinematography, but good acting and a few decent shots. And what an obvious way to begin the new outbreak. A room full of hundreds/thousands of people being locked in with one infected person about to enter?

Vard

Le Samourai

Pretty awesome. I found the story itself to be simple yet very... intriguing. It slowly built up over time. Some great shots; I loved the way the city looked and was depicted. A hit-man (why is this as one word censored on GAF; the movie?) with the samurai way of life is a nice mix.

Anno

Cdammen said:
(EDIT) Why is L_y_n_c_h banned?

This

Just got back from seeing Lions for Lambs. Strange movie, and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I have the feeling it's trying to tell me something, though I'm not sure what. That or I'm just looking into it too much. Kinda bad date movie though =/

Brendon

I just got back from seeing Enchanted with the gf. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I'd definitely never watch it again unless she wants to. Still, for a movie night with a gf, wife, kids, nieces, or any other women it's not bad. Just remember to tell them that it was okay even if you liked it :D

In return, tonight we get to watch 28 Weeks Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom