• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

Flatline

Banned
It does not matter what Microsoft say's neogaf will still bitch non stop about how horrible they are and sony is Jesus.

Microsoft-"this show is about the console and it features. E3 is all about games".

Neogaf- "thats PR bullshit".

Microsoft- "We have 15 exclusive games in the works".

Neogaf- "Thats damage control PR bullshit".

Everything is some kind of MS conspiracy against gamers around here.

Most of the bad publicity isn't from the terrible conference but the anti-consumer crap MS announced after it and the console's mediocre-at-best specs. So even if your strawman was accurate you'd still be wrong.

I'm not outraged at the lack of games, they always maintained that the games would be shown at E3. I'm just dissatisfied with the reportedly weaker hardware. Now I have very little driving me to a X1. I use regular analog cable, don't watch any TV. So yeah, I need a robust games system and PS4 is communicating that much better.

I wont do it, but part of me wants (or wishes someone else would) start a thread to raise this key question:

Will any detractors (me included) admit to crawling back to XONE when the inevitable sea of exclusives are announced at E3.

Let me reiterate my thoughts from other threads, I'll bet my left arm that Microsoft will still maintain every ounce of marketshare they gained with 360, and can only go up. They're too aggressive to fail.

I was just curious about how others will react when the games come.

I for one want to think I can hold out.

trmas

Banned
Sony isn't Jesus, but they are all we have to keep MS from taking over gaming. Nintendo cannot do it. Sony is definitely not Jesus, but they aren't MS either.

abadguy

Banned
Giantbomb: Talking Xbox One With Microsoft's Albert Penello

People wanted a thread for this, so here it is.

I said it before and i'll say it again, this is what they should do from now on. I know they are proud of their little Apps and NFL deals and that is great. Have a separate show a week before just for that stuff and go on and on about it all they like. Save E3 for the games.

Sony isn't Jesus, but they are all we have to keep MS from taking over gaming. Nintendo cannot do it. Sony is definitely not Jesus, but they aren't MS either.

Just like MS is all we have to keep Sony from taking over gaming. Competition is always a good thing.

Taker666

I'm sure they will have a great E3 content wise.

I guess it all comes down to if the public will be willing to accept the shiny 30 pieces of silver ..and disregard the pungent shit that comes with it.

I think that this reveal, inherently reveals their strategy. Of course they will have games on E3. But the focus on the all-in-one entertainment box seems their primary goal rather than a console.

Sony seems to want to build that all-in-one entertaiment box but focussing on games. PS4 is a console at is core and then a entertainment box. Xbone looks a entertainment box at is core and then a console.

-PXG-

Ummmm... If that is true, then what a terrible, terrible terrible move. First impressions are critical. They blew it.

This could not have been any worse. This is exactly how not to reveal a new console

I wont do it, but part of me wants (or wishes someone else would) start a thread to raise this key question:

Will any detractors (me included) admit to crawling back to XONE when the inevitable sea of exclusives are announced at E3.

Let me reiterate my thoughts from other threads, I'll bet my left arm that Microsoft will still maintain every ounce of marketshare they gained with 360, and can only go up. They're too aggressive to fail.

This is what I've been saying in other threads.

If there's something at E3 that really peaks the interest of one of these anti-Microsoft posters, I can bet they'll drop their tirade and be the first in line on day one.

jmood88

Most of the bad publicity isn't from the terrible conference but the anti-consumer crap MS announced after it and the console's mediocre-at-best specs. So even if your strawman was accurate you'd still be wrong.
In what way are the specs mediocre at best?

Marleyman

Banned
What. What?

So you chose to reveal the console in a manner that you knew your target audience wouldn't like? What in the fuck are they thinking? You can't spin this shit. It's fucking awful, this only makes them look worse and even more incompetent.

They chose to reveal the console and 2 weeks later reveal the games. It isn't that big of a deal to wait 2 more weeks is it?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
First impressions are everything, and the Xbox One left a terrible first impression on the hardcore gaming audience. That's really all there is to it.

I'm interested to see how they recover at E3.

This spin is making me a little dizzy though...

Heysoos

I'm not mad about the lack of games at the conference, I knew it was coming. They told us so multiple times that all that would be at E3. What I am disappointed at is their vision for the Xbox and what they built it around.

DaBoss

I personally won't.

I definitely think they won't keep the same amount of marketshare they gained with the 360. In fact, I think it will have a terrible start since the informed/core gamers are the ones who will buy it at launch. I believe many of them won't be going for this kind of BS. They can definitely still change it and make it consumer-friendly, but I don't see MS doing that.

MYeager

It was just a bad conference.

I didn't think it was a bad conference in terms of showing all the other media stuff it can do and leaving the game portion for E3.

However the fact that there is confusion among different talking heads from MS about how video games will function on their system and hearing that it hasn't been set in stone yet is concerning to me. They should have been prepared for those questions and had a clear response ready instead of this evasion and mixed messages.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This is what I've been saying in other threads.

If there's something at E3 that really peaks the interest of one of these anti-Microsoft posters, I can bet they'll drop their tirade and be the first in line on day one.

Actually most won't because it is the anti-consumer DRM that upsets people the most. I don't care if god developed a new halo game I am not buying a system that is this anti-consumer. Nope not going to pay 59.99 for a long term rental that has to be checked in every 24 hours to big brother.

This statement is funny. So MS is saying they realize nobody likes the focus on multimedia stuff? Why focus on it so much then if nobody likes it?

FordGTGuy

Banned
This statement is funny. So MS is saying they realize nobody likes the focus on multimedia stuff? Why focus on it so much then if nobody likes it?

People do like it, the people they were trying to reach yesterday.

The average CoD player that would watch a Spike TV Xbox Reveal...

Also even though I'm a huge gamer I like the media stuff too... most people are just pissed that the focus at the event wasn't games which we knew before hand.

Marleyman

Banned
One thing that really bugs me is that Sony hasn't been picked apart from their conference. Nobody questioned their used game policies or their pricing structure. Where was this outrage months ago? Will it ever show up around here?
no

jmood88

He's talking to giantbomb, a video game site, and he knows that a lot of gamers complain when any non-gaming stuff is brought up.

Yeah, as i thought, but still. Could've been handled better, bro.

Also, there is already a thread.

Quote:
"This #XboxOne conference was the part of E3 people don’t like. We took that over and made it into an event"

I wanna do some word associations:

Event.
Debacle.
Clusterfuck.
Disaster.
Tragedy.
Comedy.

reminds me of Shakespeare plays.

as an employee of a marketing department...

Intentionally revealing your new product with all the features that your target audience won't like it's plain stupid.
Yup. It's not like they had a gun to their head that forced them to start with these aspects.

This and the constant bumbling and backpedaling on hard but incredibly predictable issues reeks of poor preparation TBH.

To put it more simply, a lot of people didn't expect much but they somehow managed to underdeliver.

freddy

Banned
Lets face it. You can have as many posters as you like come in with fancy words and pretty sounding logic to make things seem better than they actually were. At the end of the day the reveal was very poor and so are the excuses as to why it was poor. Shit job all around.

Marleyman

Banned
Lets face it. You can have as many posters as you like come in with fancy words and pretty sounding logic to make things seem better than they actually were. At the end of the day the reveal was very poor and so are the excuses as to why it was poor. Shit job all around.

What would have made it not shit to you?

People do like it, the people they were trying to reach yesterday.

The average CoD player that would watch a Spike TV Xbox Reveal...

Also even though I'm a huge gamer I like the media stuff too... most people are just pissed that the focus at the event wasn't games which we knew before hand.

I dunno, I think it's an indication that people are comfortable underselling the "average CoD" as some idiot that doesn't give a shit about:

• not being able to play used games
  • questionable function of used/rental games
  • always on kinect camera function
  • 24 hour mandatory update check

Also, these are what seem to be what are turning people off - not necessarily MS's lack of any new games to show.

Basically saying, "hey, no biggie, our reveal was for idiots that are easily fooled" is not good at all. Respect the customer.

FordGTGuy

Banned

How is it a excuse to say GAF didn't like a reveal because we knew it was going to be entertainment focused before hand with not many games.

In fact most people didn't think we would get as many games that we did.

You would think GAF would be happy that the entertainment stuff is now out of the way and E3 will be more focused on us.

The worst stuff didn't even come out during the conference.

This I definitely agree with.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I dunno, I think it's an indication that people are comfortable underselling the "average CoD" as some idiot that doesn't give a shit about:

• [*]not being able to play used games
    [*]questionable function of used/rental games
    [*]always on kinect camera function
    [*]24 hour mandatory update check

Also, these are what seem to be what are turning people off - not necessarily MS's lack of any new games to show.

Basically saying, "hey, no biggie, our reveal was for idiots that are easily fooled" is not good at all. Respect the customer.

Did you event watch the reveal? None of those things were mentioned at the reveal for a reason.

Also I'm not defending them, the only thing that is holding me to Xbox right now are my fingers grasping for a new Forza.

ReaperXL7

So then there will be zero services talk at E3? I really somewhat doubt that as they have not gone into any major details about the new Xbox Live yet. Will stuff like Netflix, Facebook,Hulu still be locked behind a paywall? Which XBL features are getting an upgrade? How will they work?

I really doubt E3 is just going to be a string of game announcements, and even then the first thing I thought when they said 15 exclusives was how many are kinect games? How many are XBLA games? I dont doubt they will have some solid announcements that can muster some excitment for the Xbone, but with their clear focus I think its easy to assume there will be a connect focus for many of their announcements.

Anth0ny

I'd love to believe that.

I'd love to believe they could shut up about TV, sports and non-games for one entire conference.

freddy

Banned
What would have made it not shit to you?

Some games. No anti-consumer drm. No compulsory Kinect. I'll stop there because you don't care anyway.

How is it a excuse to say GAF didn't like a reveal because we knew it was going to be entertainment focused before hand with not many games.

You would think GAF would be happy that the entertainment stuff is now out of the way and E3 will be more focused on us.
It was a mistake to show what they did as a first impression of a games console.

I for one am holding judgement till after E3. I didn't expect Microsoft to really reveal any games with it being so close to E3. So far from the two events that were shown, I am leaning more towards a PS4.

I get why a lot of people are upset over the used games stuff and security issues. I really never buy used games and don't like lending my games out to friends. So I really don't have an issue with it. Even with that said, Microsoft really has to bring the heat in the games department to get my full attention.

Microsoft could have saved the conference if at the end they showed a sizzle trailer of games then after tell people to come to E3 to see these games with gameplay

ITS NOT THAT HARD
Us during E3:

Where are the new game announcements? We've seen all these before! Sony just won!

I woke up yesterday hyped, went to bed pissed off, but now I'm starting to recognize Microsoft's biggest fuckup wasn't the hardware they chose, the lack of games shown or the fact that you need to be an NFL loving American to really get full use out of the XB One, it's that they suck at how they communicated their message with us, and with people within their own fucking organization.

Damn, ok I'm still pissed.

FordGTGuy

Banned
So then there will be zero services talk at E3? I really somewhat doubt that as they have not gone inyo any major details about the new Xbox Live yet. Will stuff like Netflix, Facebook,Hulu still be locked behind a paywall? Which XBL features are getting an upgrade? How will they work?

I really doubt E3 is just going to be a string of game announcements, and even then the first thing I thought when they saif 15 exclusives was how many are kinect games? How many are XBLA games? I dont doubt they will have some solid announcements that can muster some excitment for the Xbone, but with their clear focus I think its easy to assume there will be a connect focus for many of their announcements.

Their clear focus was said before the event even happened, Aaron Greenburg said this would be a hardware/UI/entertainment event with a few games and that E3 is going to be where the games are shown.

In fact after the Xbox Reveal I remember someone saying that their lineup will be shown at E3.

Us during E3:

Where are the new game announcements? We've seen all these before! Sony just won!

So you can see in the future? Please do tell...

Also it's already confirmed that there are 8 new IPs and we only saw one at the Xbox Reveal.

Liha

Banned
What`s Xbox One? I don´t need a second TV receiver incl. voice commands. OH before I forget, 99 % of this things will never come to austria - europe.

Let's show a bunch of stuff people don't want to see. That's one way to do it.

At this point are the games even a problem anymore? We all know the games are coming. Common sense. Its the used DRM and required online that's pure BS. Such a turn off for me. Until i get a clear cut answer on those subjects i don't care what exclusives they're making.

Plus they did this "15 exclusives" spin at the Kinect reveal. 8 exclusives! All Kinect nonsense. lol So i'm lowering my expectations.

This I definitely agree with.
The problem is most of the features they showed already have alternatives. I can check my fantasy team on the many portable devices I own, not to mention that scroll those stats along the bottom of the screen during football games. I already have a remote to switch inputs between TV and games. Also, I will probably have to pay an annual fee over my cable bill just to watch TV and clutter up my TV by looking at twitter while I'm watching a movie.

Also none of these features even apply to people outside of America at launch.

jmood88

The problem is most of the features they showed already have alternatives. I can check my fantasy team on the many portable devices I own, not to mention that scroll those stats along the bottom of the screen during football games. I already have a remote to switch inputs between TV and games. Not to mention I will probably have to pay an annual fee over my cable bill just to watch TV and clutter up my TV by looking at twitter while I'm watching a movie.

Also none of these features even apply to people outside of America at launch.
The point is that you use the Xbox to eliminate the need for other devices.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still don't understand why they didn't do a live demo of just one game. I was expecting CoD or Forza but both were just trailers. Literally one game running on the console that shows off what it can do and maybe some of the OS features at the same time would have made things much easier to tolerate.

Their clear focus was said before the event even happened, Aaron Greenburg said this would be a hardware/UI/entertainment event with a few games and that E3 is going to be where the games are shown.

In fact after the Xbox Reveal I remember someone saying that their lineup will be shown at E3.
This should have been the first thing out of their mouths when the conference started.

The XBox One will be the must have gaming device later this year, and we have a record number of studios working on new games, and eight new IP's... all of which we will be showing you during E3 in just a few weeks! Today, we'd like to show you not just the hardware, but also what else the XBox One will do to expand your entertainment experience™!

So you can see in the future? Please do tell...
I remember the past. You don't remember the Nintendo conference? This is exactly what happened.
We've seen that trailer already, we already guessed the studio was working on that franchise, that was already rumoured... it was leaked last week, where's the new stuff!

It's just how the internet rolls.

The point is that you use the Xbox to eliminate the need for other devices.
But I already own those other devices, and they're useful outside of the things I mentioned. I haven't been itching for a reason to throw away my phone and laptop. Why would anyone with a phone/laptop/tablet/remote control throw all of those things to the wayside to buy a (Probably at least $400) device that they need to pay an additional fee for just to get the same functionality they already have at my fingertips?

freddy

Banned
I still don't understand why they didn't do a live demo of just one game. I was expecting CoD or Forza but both were just trailers. Literally one game running on the console that shows off what it can do and maybe some of the OS features at the same time would have made things much easier to tolerate.

Maybe there's some truth to them being way behind on development. I always thought it was strange they let Sony reveal all those months ago and sat silently by.

Top Bottom