• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Bartop is Ready , this is a tutorial without Solder

dovella

That's why I'm questioning my choice now, I already have a raspberry pi 3 in a box and all, but I wanted to buy another one for this, so I'm still open to change.

Though I've been playing a lot with the Pi 3 so far and it runs great, I didn't try arcade titles on it with MAME on it yet though, but as for console emulation from NES to PSX, it's pretty solid.

By the way, your cabinet looks absolutely great! :)

No , raspberry emulation is not perfect ,
All Capcom game like Final Fight, Street Fighter etc. work at 30 FPS
Many Snes Games not work ,
Many Snes game not work fine .

say that the emulation of Raspberry is solid, it's just a myth. .

I love Windows, Mame (No Nag) retroarch and amazing front end is LaunchBox (Big box edition for Cabinet ) https://www.launchbox-app.com/

Jimrpg

I do not understand why many people follow the fashion of using a raspberry that can not emulate everything well.
The price of a Mini PC or Intel Stick is almost equal to that of a raspberry, and then everything works perfectly (if we know work)

When I got my Pi 3, I didn't know there were some incompatible roms. Is there a list of this somewhere?

For $35, it has done the job so far (for what I need anyway), however when I looked at the list of games for Mame emulation, it is rather short. I suggest if people are considering Pi 3 for arcade emulation to look at the following Google Doc for working Games List

dovella

When I got my Pi 3, I didn't know there were some incompatible roms. Is there a list of this somewhere?

For $35, it has done the job so far (for what I need anyway), however when I looked at the list of games for Mame emulation, it is rather short. I suggest if people are considering Pi 3 for arcade emulation to look at the following Google Doc for working Games List

Some friends have built a cabinet with raspberry, I got to try them out and the MAME emulator, NES, SNES, and I was not satisfied. Maybe I'm too picky.

Moraizen

Some friends have built a cabinet with raspberry, I got to try them out and the MAME emulator, NES, SNES, and I was not satisfied. Maybe I'm too picky.

Definitely not. As far as I'm concerned, if the point is to create a mini arcade machine, and given the effort and money that will be spent on the thing, the emulation should be as great as possible within those conditions. Whenever I see this kind of topic being discussed, the only name I ever see being mentioned is the Raspberry, I wasn't even aware it sucked for MAME until I saw this thread.

I would guess that most folks just care about the stuff being in a playable state, without caring too much about how smooth it performs. Either way, you being "picky" is very useful for guys like me, so keep up the great work :^)

dovella

Definitely not. As far as I'm concerned, if the point is to create a mini arcade machine, and given the effort and money that will be spent on the thing, the emulation should be as great as possible within those conditions. Whenever I see this kind of topic being discussed, the only name I ever see being mentioned is the Raspberry, I wasn't even aware it sucked for MAME until I saw this thread.

I would guess that most folks just care about the stuff being in a playable state, without caring too much about how smooth it performs. Either way, you being "picky" is very useful for guys like me, so keep up the great work :^)

I was born in 1976, I owned all consoles and many still possess, I played all the coin op, and perfectly know the original functionality.
He even thinks that I hate the formulation made by Nintendo Wii and WiiU of Nes and SNES games.
Perhaps they are picky, but if the emulation is not perfect, I can not play :).
A mini PC with CPU Baytrail and 2 gb costs less than $ 100, why should I use a raspberry if I am realizing my dream as a child?
I add that I find it tough to add or remove the ROM of raspberry, the front end at best is bruttisimo.
Since I realized something special, I prefer to act in the best way. Then every one is free to do what he wants;)

Seik

Banned
Alright so I'm heavily considering the z64.

Is there a way to make it boot retroarch right off the bat or will I absolutely need a mouse to start emulators? It's one of the charms of the raspberry to be able to use the stick/buttons right off the bat.

But yeah I just checked that compatibility list and Killer Instinct doesn't seem to work on the Pi, which is an absolute must for me. :(

dovella

Alright so I'm heavily considering the z64.

Is there a way to make it boot retroarch right off the bat or will I absolutely need a mouse to start emulators? It's one of the charms of the raspberry to be able to use the stick/buttons right off the bat.

But yeah I just checked that compatibility list and Killer Instinct doesn't seem to work on the Pi, which is an absolute must for me. :(

Mouse ? See my video in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-YvnnqtpE (Go to 4:10 min )

MAME No Nag version skip all boot screen of MAME Game .
Do I remember that MAME ROM must be the same version of MAME (as well as some of the ROM Bios).

I mean, the great thing is to have options. Cheap Intel on a sticks are still a bit more expensive in practice than pi, if you're building for 8 and most 16 bit it's fine. If you want to go a slightly more expensive route, that's there.

And if you're already going to be spending hundreds of dollars on a cabinet, it's not really a bad thing if you want to splurge for more... Including a full mini atx or itx board.

dovella

I mean, the great thing is to have options. Cheap Intel on a sticks are still a bit more expensive in practice than pi, if you're building for 8 and most 16 bit it's fine. If you want to go a slightly more expensive route, that's there.

And if you're already going to be spending hundreds of dollars on a cabinet, it's not really a bad thing if you want to splurge for more... Including a full mini atx or itx board.

Product like this , is low cost

Top Bottom