• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My best friend/roommate got overly aggressive on a work trip. How can he recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some clarification I've gotten;

The supervisor he intimidated is from the office he was visiting. Not good lol

That 15 dollar an hour raise he negotiated? At this point it was just a verbal agreement. The contract hadnt been signed yet. It was supposed to be signed next week.

His current contract expires at the end of the month.

My guess is they'll ride out his current contract and won't renew.

milanbaros

Member?

That 15 dollar an hour raise he negotiated? At this point it was just a verbal agreement. The contract hadnt been signed yet. It was supposed to be signed next week.

I think he will be fine if he is good. All sorts of shit goes on at work dinners/drinks but no one has been fired. People are here to make money, not play nice. Obviously he would need to properly apologise.

Money's on this.

Nobody's indispensable. They can find another contractor to do the job for his current rate (if not lower) with the added bonus of having never drunkenly intimidated female managers. Win win for the company.

As of right now he is refusing to apologize because of reasons.

Hope his resume is current.

Wish I could say something helpful, but jesus fucking christ your friend fucked up. And refusing to apologize is just being boneheaded to a suicidal degree.

You really need to convince him to make things right. His future with this company is dead in the waters. Now he just has to hope he doesn't get blacklisted across the wider industry.

And that is why I wonder why you want to support him financially. 80k are still much, even if he pays for his mom and sister. From what you said he didnt save anything, because he burns through the money and he wont even apologize because he thinks he didnt do anything wrong or pride or whatever.

He doesnt really sound like a great and bright person...

He knows what he did is wrong.

He just hates feeling weak or not being capable. It's why he hates playing board games because he doesn't want to look stupid.

It's weird. I know. I should impose a rule that if I'm going to pay for him and his mom he has to play Dungeons and Dragons with me. Been trying to get him to for a while now.

He just hates feeling weak or not being capable. It's why he hates playing board games because he doesn't want to look stupid.

It's weird. I know. I should impose a rule that if I'm going to pay for him and his mom he has to play Dungeons and Dragons with me.

He needs to get over himself like right now. Not apologizing makes him look hella more stupid than apologizing would.

It's weird. I know. I should impose a rule that if I'm going to pay for him and his mom he has to play Dungeons and Dragons with me. Been trying to get him to for a while now.

You should actually tell him to do his best to keep the job or at least apologize or you wont support him financially. I mean its your choice and your money. Not my problem, but imagine if he apologizes there is a slight chance he can keep his job, if not you have to support him financially which will also be a burden to you, just because of his pride...

Seriously. Tell him to man up and be an adult. Not a child...

no I am not going to abandon my best friend when he's down, so don't tell me to move out now. He's helped me through shit, and I'm gonna help him through shit.

Sometimes you've got to cut people loose. It's part of life. Try to help this guy as much as you can but dude sounds like a waking catastrophe waiting to happen and your loyalty isn't going to protect you if you're in the blast radius.

Lol but he looks weak by not manning up and apologizing. Apparently his job doesnt mean that much to him if he isnt willing to shallow his pride and try to savage it. Ya fucked up, now fix it.

I don't disagree at all. But then again I wouldn't have gotten myself into his situation in the first place.

But then again I am not as aggressive. He got to where he was by being pretty hands bull by th horns. I got to where I am at by not being as much. But by that same token that is why he's pretty much about to be fired.

I guess slow and steady.

You should actually tell him to do his best to keep the job or at least apologize or you wont support him financially. I mean its your choice and your money. Not my problem, but imagine if he apologizes there is a slight chance he can keep his job, if not you have to support him financially which will also be a burden to you, just because of his pride...

Seriously. Tell him to man up and be an adult. Not a child...

I told him as much but he isn't exactly in the rational mindset. Again I've gotten this all over text. He's not answering my calls. He did call his mentor, and she said he was all over the place. One moment screaming. One moment laughing. One moment crying. She was legit scared for him and immediately called me up.

Bye Felicia

7x401HR.gif

Refusing to apologize? Dude is done.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member

He actually may have an out here since apparently the offended party isn't his direct supervisor. Going through HR to get someone fired who isnt directly under you requires jumping through hoops and inter-departmental politicking, unless it's for clear-cut offenses like sexual harassment, racism, etc. To be sure, your buddy did commit a fire-able offense, but it may fall under a murkier disrespect/hostility category that can somewhat be stretched as a heated argument about work. Plus it technically occurred outside of the office. His direct boss may vouch for him, too.

So if this supervisor figures your buddy isn't worth the hassle, this thing can blow over with just a reputation hit, but nothing permanent on record. Best move here is a sincere apology to her to nip this in the bud. The fact that he refuses to do so is amazingly dumb and tantamount to career suicide.

TKM

He actually may have an out here since apparently the offended party isn't his direct supervisor. Going through HR to get someone fired who isnt directly under you requires jumping through hoops and inter-departmental politicking, unless it's for clear-cut offenses like sexual harassment, racism, etc. To be sure, your buddy did commit a fire-able offense, but it may fall under a murkier disrespect/hostility category that can somewhat be stretched as a heated argument about work. Plus it technically occurred outside of the office. His direct boss may vouch for him, too.

Nah, he's a contractor. Even if his direct boss fought for him, HR will push for termination to protect the other employees. Fool is toast.

So if this supervisor figures your buddy isn't worth the hassle, this thing can blow over with just a reputation hit, but nothing permanent on record. Best move here is a sincere apology to her to nip this in the bud. The fact that he refuses to do so is amazingly dumb and tantamount to career suicide.

Thing is none of that matters. With this new info they don't even have to go through the motions to fire him. His contract is up and there just might be an unforseen indefinite freeze on signing his new one. They literally can just ride his contract out now because the hot head was stupid enough to pull this shit before his new one was official.

Do you guys who act weird when drunk bottle things up when sober? Like, drunkenness is your release valve?

I'm the opposite. Normally I'm pretty social. When I drink, I get quiet and moody.

I purposefully sabotage all my relationships when drunk.

Mainly because i know a relationship which is largely based around booze and sex isn't going to come to much anyway.

onken

I've worked in corporate basically my whole life and I've seen all kinds of stuff out of hours that people get away with. On the other hand...

sounds like this guy has his work cut out for him lol

Thing is none of that matters. With this new info they don't even have to go through the motions to fire him. His contract is up and there just might be a indefinite freeze on signing his new one. They literally can just ride his contract out now because the hot head was stupid enough to pull this shit before his new one was official

Yeah, this guy is done. There's no way his job can be so in-demand that there's literally no other candidates out there.

Also, 80k is more than enough for 3 people in Southern California, you're not gonna be living the high life, but you're not gonna be destitute either.

bender

What time is it?
I learned what a human factors engineer is so at least some good came out of this situation.

Has your buddy ever been fired? Maybe this will be a learning experience for him.

Rektash

Sounds like your friend has some serious growing up to do. No matter how you slice it, if you risk your job by not knowing your limits and refuse to apologize after the following fuck ups there is something wrong going on. Humility is is a pretty essential skill to have in the grown up world, especially so when you are not your own boss. He got where he is by beeing straight forward, direct and aggressive "bulls by the horns". Sounds like it's time to graduate from that and learn there can be more than one mode you can operate in. Now in this case it kinda sounds like it's too late to do anything about him keeping his job, so at least make your friend realize that he himself was in fact the center of this whole problem.

I wouldn't take the "dump him" advice in this thread serious though. People go through some tough stuff in life. Helping out people can be rewarding not only for you on a personal level but can of course strengthen your friendship as well. There is a limit on what you can do and what you are comfortable doing though, so you should probably think about what those limits are for you.

Also, reading through your last couple posts it sounds like your friend actually might need some professional help.

riotous

Banned
Lol!

Wait...

Sound familiar? lol

As far as the OP; sounds like he's screwed and deserved it. If he is really making $80k I don't he's that irreplaceable. Maybe a bad assumption but I just sort of assume $80k isn't the salary of an irreplaceable engineer.

You can get away with being a bit of a tech diva for sure if but he doesn't sound like someone who can get away with it.

red731

Can't feel for him due to his circumstances (alocohol) and the year old thread.
Also being fired is like kick in the head since it's not good.

spekkeh

Banned
Damn, internally messing up is one thing. You can apologize and they might see it in light of all your good qualities and give you a second chance. Messing up a client as a contractor (edit: oh it's another office of the same company, still not good), yeah that's end of your job.

He still needs to apologize though, first because it's the human thing to do, second if it really is a small field it might be a very difficult career ahead.

I have to say though, reading this and the other thread, your friend seems to have narcissistic issues. I'm not a clinical psychologist so I don't know what the best way to deal with this is, but for once I would say you should probably not be very understanding for him. If he gets fired, make sure he knows that everything that happened is hundred percent on him. It's not because of this or that bitch who wouldn't take it lying down and screwed him over. No he fully deserves what he's getting. Don't sugar coat it, getting fired is probably a good thing for him right now.

Pau

I should impose a rule that if I'm going to pay for him and his mom he has to play Dungeons and Dragons with me. Been trying to get him to for a while now.
I think a better rule would be: "I'll pay for you and your mom but you have to go to a therapist and deal with not owning up to your mistakes and dealing with them and your anger issues towards women."

You should impose a rule that he actually has to try and save his job (ie dropping this wounded pride crap an actually being humble and apologetic to those he needs to be apologetic to). If you let him just be a prideful fuck who can't even do the bare minimum to save his job, all you are doing is giving him a safety net to never change because you'll be there to financially support him (if you were his dad maybe that's understandable but you aren't his fucking father).

What am saying is your unwavering support hurts him and those he interacts with

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best way he can recover is by updating his resume and begging for a neutral reference.

ito007

He needs to apologize and it's obvious why. Even if it's not going to salvage the relationship, it's worth it to be a decent person. It'll relieve everyone's conscious in the end

Maximus.

Your friend is an idiot. Doesn't matter how close you feel with your bosses, never a good idea to get super drunk around them.

Why the fuck would you drink in a working environment, it seems your friend has to learn the lesson the hard way.

In China its normal during business meetings actually. I remember in 2011 I was quite drunk for lunch, because the Colleges where I held speeches invited us for lunch and wanted to see how much a German can drink.
And in the afternoon I still had to hold the speech in front of 200 students.

When I said I want to decline drinking, every party, the college, the CEO of the company I worked for etc. said I cant do that, since it would be impolite.

daviyoung

Banned
I've done something similar. Got drunk and laid into my boss for being a shit to everyone.

I didn't get fired but I could have done very easily if his boss didn't understand where I was coming from. I was young and passionate at the time, but you're kind of playing with fire when you bottle up your rage and unleash it at an inappropriate time.

It's always best to crop dust momentarily than potentially shit your trousers.

Show him this thread. Let him see the endless walls of detailed breakdowns on why he's so messed up, helpfully provided by GAF. If that doesn't shatter his ego well enough to allow new views in, than nothing will and you should abandon ship before he starts to resent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom