• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Wizpig

My 360 returned.
In the box there was this piece of paper with "Here's 1 free Gold month kthx, oh and we also registered your new 360 in case you'll need the repair center again" written on it.

Problem is:

1- My Xbox.com says i actually haven't got ANY 360 registered... why? [i didn't register the old one, so that's not the problem... but what about the new one?]

2- I didn't get any "1 free Gold month" card in the box :|

Well, these are minor problems i guess, but... tips?
Oh and... yeah, they REPLACED my system, it's not the old one

edit. Ah, yes, obviously i forgot the most important question: 3- if i play subscription-based games [Phantasy Star Universe, Final Fantasy 11, that kind] should i warn them somehow that my 360... is a new 360?
Could that cause some subscription problems?

I'd wager they didn't actually register it... just put in the standard bit of paper. Doesn't take long to do online if you need to though (I'd do it now whilst it's not broken).

iclash

So I never thought it would happen to me. I've never had a console die, even my PS2. I tried to turn on my 360 this morning and got the dreaded RRoD. There were no warning signs. It worked fine last night while playing Vesperia, this morning it was dead. So I called customer service to get the repair process going. I still have a year left on that extended warranty for the RRoD. I wanted to talk to a live person, but the automated system pushed me towards website. So I regisetered my 360 and ordered a coffin. So, for those of you that have done this before:
  • Do they repair my xbox or do they send me a refurb?
  • I know DRM has been a hassle in the past, there will be no problems if they simply repair my xbox, but on a refurb, what happens to my downloaded content?
  • I read that they have a new process for repairs that seems to be more reliable, is this true?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

iclash said:
  • Do they repair my xbox or do they send me a refurb?
  • I know DRM has been a hassle in the past, there will be no problems if they simply repair my xbox, but on a refurb, what happens to my downloaded content?
  • I read that they have a new process for repairs that seems to be more reliable, is this true?
  • Varies - They might repair yours and send it back or give you another machine.
  • They reset the licences on your DLC. Should be no problems.
  • Unknown.

Wizpig

Psychotext said:
I'd wager they didn't actually register it... just put in the standard bit of paper. Doesn't take long to do online if you need to though (I'd do it now whilst it's not broken).
Yeah, they also "forgot" the Live Gold thing :(
Thanks.

Anyone can answer question 3, by the way?

hgplayer1

so my Elite gives me 3 red lights on pretty much a daily basis but has yet to die.

sometimes it takes a few restarts and then it works, sometimes it works on the first try.

this has been going on for months.

anyone else have this problem with theirs?

Tek

B-Rad Lascelle said:
You shouldn't have much to worry about here... you're not getting an Opus sadly, but otherwise your system should hold up.

You are right...so far. I got a letter telling them they were sorry that my 360 died and a comment card. Was I supposed to get something telling me what they had to do to fix it?

The games that locked up before are working fine. Although I think they might have just cleared the internal memory if they do such a thing. My time was reset as was my xbox. I got the original startup video and such.

but its working so far..hope it keeps up

so I guess that if I have another RROD after this limited warranty that expires in Aug then I'm SOL or does the 3 years from the original date still hold up?

lachesis

I got my 360 back. I mean, someone else's 360 back as a replacement. RROD. I thought my warranty period was over (the new extended one) - but for some reason, they replaced it... took about 2 weeks.

It's an older model like mine - no HDMI either. Well, I guess if I really wanted one, I probably would have to buy one for HDMI... but I understand the PSU unit itself is different, so I really can't complain about it. Hope this new one (my 3rd unit) would last long long time. 1st one lasted few months. 2nd one lasted about couple years... not sure how long this would last.

As per my PS3 which was also not recognizing anything, I got the box and was just about to send it back... but while I was trying to back-up the personal data from my 60gb, it wasn't even recognizing any USB. Thus, I thought if I upgraded the firmware, it might be helpful.. so I did update the firmware, and viola. whole thing was working again. ;) Kinda glad, because the total usage for PS3 was maybe a few hundred hours or even less...

Idioteque

Okay, I finally got a RROD today. How much will microsoft charge me to fix it? I think my warranty has expired (bought the console in May 2007).

Idioteque said:
Okay, I finally got a RROD today. How much will microsoft charge me to fix it? I think my warranty has expired (bought the console in May 2007).
If you bought it in May 2007... nothing. RRoD warranty is 3 years (Or May 2010 in your case).

(Oops, I should have refreshed the page before replying. :lol )

Soooooooo i was playing LO and the screen went weird and glitch and lines fill the screens.

I went back to the dashboard and is back to normal.

I then tried re5 and the Lines become redder but no graphic glitches.

I turned off the xbox360 for around 2 hours and tired LO again.

I played for around 20 mins and all seem find and normal........

Still..... is my 360 dying?
E74 error?
How long will it last?

The manufacture date is 2008 - 4 -10.

*See's Mass Effect 2 E3 teaser*
*Gets hyped*
*Decides to celebrate end of finals with ME. Deletes loads off harddrive so I can install Mass Effect*
*Installs, and clicks play*
*Gets to ME title screen and awesome music starts*
*Screen displays artefacts and crashes*
*restarts console*
RROD........ :-(

2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks and 3 days.
It was a good run.

Zeouterlimits said:
*See's Mass Effect 2 E3 teaser*
*Gets hyped*
*Decides to celebrate end of finals with ME. Deletes loads off harddrive so I can install Mass Effect*
*Installs, and clicks play*
*Gets to ME title screen and awesome music starts*
*Screen displays artefacts and crashes*
*restarts console*
RROD........ :-(

2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks and 3 days.
It was a good run.

that blows

Well my ethernet port on my Red 360 just died today, had the thing all of 2 months. I'm kind of afraid to send it in cause I'm not sure if I'll get a red one back.

Well, after two years of tracking the results and two otherwise healthy 360s it finally happened to me.

360 Elite (Zephyr)
Manufactured 2007-06-22
1 Red Light (Bottom Right) - E74

I'M FINALLY ONE OF YOU! :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Psychotext said:
Well, after two years of tracking the results and two otherwise healthy 360s it finally happened to me.

360 Elite (Zephyr)
Manufactured 2007-06-22
1 Red Light (Bottom Right) - E74

I'M FINALLY ONE OF YOU! :lol

Holy shit, I thought you started tracking because you were one of us.
Your 360 lasted quite a long time.

GaryD

KilgoreTrout said:
I just barely sent my RROD'D Xbox in like 5 days ago, and it's already done with "repairs".

Seems a little quick, I'm a little bit nervous that they are gonna send me the same one back, unfixed.

They change the guts and give you the same shell back.

FTWer said:
Holy shit, I thought you started tracking because you were one of us.
Nah, I did that because it was clear the situation was completely screwed. (Plus I'm a stats geek)

I just hope I get at least a Falcon back rather than another Zephyr. I don't want to go round and round on the refurb train.

Sorry to ask this here, but does anyone know how if there's a way I can get MS to let me use the DRM tool again? I last used it about ten months ago and I've just had to get a new 360, so :(

Harteex

Tranced Shadow said:
Sorry to ask this here, but does anyone know how if there's a way I can get MS to let me use the DRM tool again? I last used it about ten months ago and I've just had to get a new 360, so :(

I don't think so.
But just making sure, you know you can still play your games, as long as you're online, right?

Harteex said:
I don't think so.
But just making sure, you know you can still play your games, as long as you're online, right?

Yeah, but it's a PITA because I'm in a University residence and they only allow one thing hooked up to the network at a time. No LANs or wireless allowed either.

I can get my PS3 on by sharing my laptop's connection through the wireless card, but the 360's too fussy to use it as a connection apparently...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mine just red ringed like 10 minutes ago. Booted up Sacred 2 and it froze, the graphics were all pixelated and blocky. Restarted the 360, and it froze on the start up screen. Tried again and there they were, just blinking away like an angry cylon. Between KZ2/LBP freezing on me and now thins, I'm not having much luck with hardware.

Artadius

Mine died last night getting ready for some Sacred 2 co-op action. 3 red rings.

Mfgr date: October 24, 2006

If they replace your guts, do you at least get back anything that is more reliable or can I expect to be sweating bullets again with my replacement parts?

Pachinko

So I bought my xbox 360 a day before Dead or alive 4 was released, which you might recall was back in 2005. December, it was built in october of that year. After a year of putting gaming on the back burner I've recently started playing my xbox again, like a fair bit actually an hour plus a day instead of less then an hour a week and well some of you may recall I made a thread this past weekend asking about freezing games during an install. Turns out it was in fact a sign of impending death on the part of my console as today while playing lost oddysee from the disc (something that worked for 3 whole hours last friday night) it froze within 5 minutes of playtime, wouldn't properly turn off. Then wouldn't properly turn back on and finally on attempt number 2 at turning the console on I got my very first Red Ring of death.

So what do I win GAF ? 3.5 years it lasted from the manufacturing date , a little less then 3.5 years of use before an RROD. Am I one of the final dinosaurs left ?

Now the only question is what I should do now... grab an RE5 bundle to get a red 360... 400 bones, get it fixed - 150? (as it's past 3 years I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay), buy an arcade and slap my old hard drive onto it.

I'm leaning towards just replacing this thing with an elite simply to have a 120 gig hard drive but then how does the DRM situation work these days ?

Pachinko

yeah I'll give 'em a call but I was kind of under the impression that 2005 models were just the first batch covered for 3 years was all. I'm kind of looking for an excuse to buy an elite anyway.

SpacLock

My buddy's Xbox has RROD'd about 3 times in a row. He can play a game for about 3 minutes before it RRODs again.

He wants to send it in but he's not sure if they'll fix it or not since it's fine before you try to play a game. Has anyone had this problem? If so, have you sent it in and did they repair it?

SpacLock said:
He wants to send it in but he's not sure if they'll fix it or not since it's fine before you try to play a game. Has anyone had this problem? If so, have you sent it in and did they repair it?
Plenty of people get intermittent RRoD. I'm yet to hear of anyone here that sent their 360 in with that and didn't get it fixed.

(Though I'm sure a couple of hundred people will post about it now! :D )

my first xbox360 died for the third time...this time they sent me a new one with different serial number etc etc... I'm sure this console is going to die too :D

Xbox 360 Premium/Pro
Manufacturing Date: 09/21/2006
E74 error this afternoon :(

Anyone sent in a system without HDMI and gotten an HDMI one back?

BigKaboom2 said:
Xbox 360 Premium/Pro
Manufacturing Date: 09/21/2006
E74 error this afternoon :(

Anyone sent in a system without HDMI and gotten an HDMI one back?

Not that I've heard. I've had to do three repairs and all three consoles I got back didn't have HDMI. The only way you'll get one is if someone fucks up.

NG28

WickedLaharl said:
damn the turn around times are pretty quick nowadays. i sent the coffin out on wednesday and it will be delivered back to me on monday

How far are you from Texas? I live in PA and sent mine out yesterday. UFC is sitting on my desk next to me making the wait stupidly unbearable.

part of the reason why the process has been fast for me this time is because i've had more than 3 repairs so everything has been shipped via next day air

pr0cs

hgplayer1 said:
so my Elite gives me 3 red lights on pretty much a daily basis but has yet to die.

sometimes it takes a few restarts and then it works, sometimes it works on the first try.

this has been going on for months.

anyone else have this problem with theirs?
I had that problem with one of mine, 2006 model I believe.
The problem (for mine) was the wireless controller module, eventually it won't ever turn on again (if it's the same problem).

The problem for me lasted a good 6+ months. Nothing more than an annoyance but eventually the thing simply won't ever go past 3RL. When it's running it should be stable as hell but one day you'll turn it on and the 3rl won't ever go away.

I'd just take it in for a replacement (if you bought a store warranty) or set yourself up with 1800myxbox.

Had my 360 since the uk lunch and it rrod on me 2 times, second time it was april this year and was replaced with a new 360 (both times it took around a week for ms to sort it out). Just need a hd transfer cable to transfer data from the 20gb 360 to a new 60gb 360 which i bought to replace the original 360 (too loud!!).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So, I'm a little confused. My 4th Xbox just got the RRoD. I go to the website and it tells me that the warranty has expired and the cost of repair is $110. Doesn't the warranty reset with each new console? I received this 360 less than a year ago.

RSTEIN said:
So, I'm a little confused. My 4th Xbox just got the RRoD. I go to the website and it tells me that the warranty has expired and the cost of repair is $110. Doesn't the warranty reset with each new console? I received this 360 less than a year ago.
Your manufacturer's warranty resets (to 90 days post any free repair, 1 year for any paid repairs).
The 3-year coverage (for 3RL/E74 issues) does not.

Didn't want to open a new thread for this:

So my 360 is having overheating issues (2 red lights), my xbox is not that enclosed, It was ok until today when the fans went crazy for no aparent reason, and BAM! 2 red lights, let the console rest a bit, was ok for a few minutes, fans were working normaly, and then BAM! 2 red lights, this time with no warning at all. So how much until it dies? There's something I can do to delay it?.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Your manufacturer's warranty resets (to 90 days post any free repair, 1 year for any paid repairs).
The 3-year coverage (for 3RL/E74 issues) does not.

Ok. Thanks. That sucks :\

Relaxed Muscle said:
Didn't want to open a new thread for this:

So my 360 is having overheating issues (2 red lights), my xbox is not that enclosed, It was ok until today when the fans went crazy for no aparent reason, and BAM! 2 red lights, let the console rest a bit, was ok for a few minutes, fans were working normaly, and then BAM! 2 red lights, this time with no warning at all. So how much until it dies? There's something I can do to delay it?.
Not a lot you can do about it unfortunately. Most likely the contact between the heatsink and the GPU / CPU is poor and even when the fans kick in it's not enough to stop it overheating.

You could try pointing a fan at it, but it's not likely to help much.

Top Bottom