• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

iclash

So my Xbox finally died, RROD. I went through the whole repair process and got my replacement today. I checked serial numbers on the box, and they don't match. With a different system, I've had no DRM problems. My downloaded games seem to be working normally. Also, my system seems to be less noisy when running. Hopefully this means I got a good repair job, and not less cooling fans.

iclash said:
So my Xbox finally died, RROD. I went through the whole repair process and got my replacement today. I checked serial numbers on the box, and they don't match. With a different system, I've had no DRM problems. My downloaded games seem to be working normally. Also, my system seems to be less noisy when running. Hopefully this means I got a good repair job, and not less cooling fans.

If your DRM wasn't transferred, your Xbox Live Arcade games won't work when you're not signed in to the account that purchased them on Xbox Live. Sign offline and see if your games are trial or full versions.

iclash

AnEternalEnigma said:
If your DRM wasn't transferred, your Xbox Live Arcade games won't work when you're not signed in to the account that purchased them on Xbox Live. Sign offline and see if your games are trial or full versions.

You are right, it makes me sign into my profile to play the games. How do I get my DRM transferred? Thanks for the info.

iclash said:
You are right, it makes me sign into my profile to play the games. How do I get my DRM transferred? Thanks for the info.

You have to call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and explain that your DLC licenses weren't transfered like you were told they would be. Expect to be on the phone for about 45 minutes. My phone call was 45-50 minutes.

It took them about two weeks to do mine.

I personally think it's sick that they still put that piece of paper in there telling you about your DLC licenses when they haven't done that bullshit from day one of it "starting".

Druz

My 360 just RRODed. Warranty expired in 2008, I was on a 2006 model. It's 3 rings so I'm getting it repaired for free but I'm still pissed

BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEGINNING of inevitable red ringing in the future and I'm not going to pay to get it fixed ever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
HELP PLEASE:

Unrelated: I had one of my 360's RRoD yesterday. I'll be sending it in.

But now my second model (with a voided warranty, but has been working for a year after voided [also no modifications whatsoever]) just decided not to turn on.

I turned it on, it booted fine, and I went to start a DVD. When I started a DVD, it froze when it auto-signed me in. I had to manually turn it off.

Now it won't turn on. If I hit the power button, the middle light comes on and I can eject discs, but no lights around the middle light turns on. No RRoD, no nothing. It just doesn't turn on.

What's going on? =O

Also, is it at all possible that in my disassembling and reassembling of the 360 (mainly just to see what was inside) that I somehow disconnected the red lights but kept the green lights connected? Is this a possibility? Maybe it is RRoDing, but I just can't see it?

Please help me.

Edit: Well, it took a few minutes, but it just RRoD'd. That's literally the second one in two days. The second one. In two days. The fuck?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, after two RRoD'd 360s, I'm on my third and final 360. The reason I have three is because I purchased two of them insanely cheap and then just hung on to them. The weird thing is, I used one of them for about a year. The first one that RRoD'd, I only used for a week. That RRoD'd yesterday. The other one I've used for a year. That RRoD'd today.

Is there a way that bad power supplies can cause a RRoD?

Either way, with my luck, I'll have a third RRoD'd Xbox any minute now. *sigh*

Cynar

AnEternalEnigma said:
You have to call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and explain that your DLC licenses weren't transfered like you were told they would be. Expect to be on the phone for about 45 minutes. My phone call was 45-50 minutes.

It took them about two weeks to do mine.

I personally think it's sick that they still put that piece of paper in there telling you about your DLC licenses when they haven't done that bullshit from day one of it "starting".

or you can transfer them yourself now

http://www.xbox.com/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Psychotext said:
Not a lot you can do about it unfortunately. Most likely the contact between the heatsink and the GPU / CPU is poor and even when the fans kick in it's not enough to stop it overheating.

You could try pointing a fan at it, but it's not likely to help much.

Sucks, It would have been better that it had just RRoD'ed, now I'll have to live with the doubt of when it finally dies...

JayDubya

Banned
dum, dum, dum

Another one bites the dust.

dum, dum, dum

Another one bites the dust.

And another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust.

RRoD numero dos, here.

FUCK. I was really loving me some Resident Evil 5, too, after finally having time to play it. It's been less than 3 years though, so I guess now I wait for the coffin, and then I guess I don't get to play for 18-25 days. Man.

Is there a limit on how many replacements you get under the 3 year warranty terms? It still said the repair would cost nothing, which is good.

JayDubya

Banned
Psychotext said:
Wow... MS received my console yesterday and it's on its way back to me today.

That's one hell of a turn around time.

Shit, if it's that fast at the moment I think I'd better go buy some ink and ship that bad boy in via my own box today rather than waiting for the coffin.

The blurb online said to expect 14-21 days.

AnEternalEnigma said:
FACT #1: Even in instances where your DRM licenses have been moved over automatically to a newly exchanged console, you've got to redownload the content in order for the move to be "recognized" by your console. (And when I say redownload, I don't mean delete and redownload... just going through the Download Again option which takes about 5 seconds is all you need).

FACT #2: If they weren't transferred over automatically, the DRM Tool is all you need to use to get that taken care of. Just make sure you've already attempted the above step before you use it. It's only if you've used the tool previously and you're facing license challenges post-repair that a manual escalation process is necessary.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
FACT #1: Even in instances where your DRM licenses have been moved over automatically to a newly exchanged console, you've got to redownload the content in order for the move to be "recognized" by your console. (And when I say redownload, I don't mean delete and redownload... just going through the Download Again option which takes about 5 seconds is all you need).

FACT #2: If they weren't transferred over automatically, the DRM Tool is all you need to use to get that taken care of. Just make sure you've already attempted the above step before you use it. It's only if you've used the tool previously and you're facing license challenges post-repair that a manual escalation process is necessary.

FACT #3: I attempted to re-download the content and it still didn't work. I still have yet to hear from one person that actually had their licenses exchanged during the repair.

FACT #4: I had already used the DRM tool the day it came out because I was on my 3rd console at that point. And since you can only use it once every 12 months...yeah.

My 360 is back with me. Took 5 working days after I sent it... very impressive.

[Edit - That's freaky... they replaced the DVD drive as well as the motherboard. To the best of my knowledge there was nothing wrong with the DVD drive.]

[Edit 2 - Bah, it's a Zephyr]

:(

FreshOne

Relaxed Muscle said:
Didn't want to open a new thread for this:

So my 360 is having overheating issues (2 red lights), my xbox is not that enclosed, It was ok until today when the fans went crazy for no aparent reason, and BAM! 2 red lights, let the console rest a bit, was ok for a few minutes, fans were working normaly, and then BAM! 2 red lights, this time with no warning at all. So how much until it dies? There's something I can do to delay it?.
My Xbox started doing the same thing this weekend. It'll boot up and stay for on for a minute or so, then the fans go into turbo mode trying to cool things down, then it dies and I get two red lights. It's out of warranty and the 3 year extension won't cover the two red lights. Painful.

I'm thinking I'll find a Jasper and pray this thing will break out a third light so I can send it in for free.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
nd1j69.jpg

Welp, it finally happened.
So I went online and did the repair request thing and selected "standard" for my return type. (the one that says they send you a box)

I got an email like 25 minutes later with instructions on how to print my e-label and instructions on how to pack it in my own box...

I'm kind of confused? Have they stopped sending out coffins? Or Is the email they sent me just a generic one everyone gets and my box should arrive in a few days?

Jtwo said:
I got an email like 25 minutes later with instructions on how to print my e-label and instructions on how to pack it in my own box...

I'm kind of confused? Have they stopped sending out coffins? Or Is the email they sent me just a generic one everyone gets and my box should arrive in a few days?
You can request a coffin, but I don't believe they send them out by default any more.

If you got an e-label, that's what you should be using.

That's weird. I got an E74 on May 20, didn't notice the "Standard" option, and stupidly chose Label Ship. Got the label 9 days later (?), realized my mistake, cancelled the first repair, started a new one and chose "Standard" and they sent me an email saying the coffin is on its way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Psychotext said:
You can request a coffin, but I don't believe they send them out by default any more.

If you got an e-label, that's what you should be using.
I actually just got a shipping notice from ups, so I'm guessing they sent me one.
The default in the drop box was elabel, but I changed it to "standard" (the one with the coffin.)

Psychotext said:
That's freaky... they replaced the DVD drive as well as the motherboard. To the best of my knowledge there was nothing wrong with the DVD drive.]

they replaced my dvd drive as well even though it wasn't the reason i sent it in.

needless to say i was pretty shocked :lol

Well, my 360 bit the dust last night. It is just over a year old too, as I waited for the Falcon units before buying. When I send the system in for a repair, do I get a new system or just a repair? And if it's the latter, what are the chances it bricks again?

brendanrfoley said:
When I send the system in for a repair, do I get a new system or just a repair? And if it's the latter, what are the chances it bricks again?
Most likely they'll just replace your motherboard... as for chances of it happening again? Until they use up all the old motherboards and start sending out Jaspers, who knows.

I can't say I'm happy with that, but I have no other choice. I knew the risks of owning a 360 and had accepted the fact it would RROD at some point. It's still a great console, content wise.

NH Apache

Banned
So I have a console that refuses to give me an error code.

On any games other than Soul Caliber and Halo 3, the console freezes 15-30 minutes into playtime.

I've tried Fable 2, Mass Effect, Too Human, Turok, and COD. As well as 1 vs 100 Beta. Consistent freezes shortly into playtime.

And I'm pissed because since I can't get an error code, I'm screwed, right? I got the xbox Xmas of 2006.

BTW, I also followed the steps laid out here: http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?id=907586&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Sigh. Any suggestions?

My elite died five weeks ago. It freezes and locks up at random (short) intervals in game and on the menu screen of the console.

I get black and white jagged lines across the screen and completely have to reboot the system.

Four weeks past the one year warranty.

Fuckin' Microsoft.

...that's number FIVE by the way.

mernst23

So, I decided to cut my losses by trading out my RROD'd Xbox (launch console and out of warranty) and opted for a new Arcade console. Got someone to trade me Halo 3, Orange Box, COD3, and Bioshock for the RR'd xbox too. Essentially I paid $60 for a quieter and more functional drive, a fresher controller, an HDMI port, and that sega tennis/arcade compilation game. Not bad if I say so myself.

Alright 2nd Xbox, do your worst.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that was fast.
Just got my coffin 10 minutes ago.

Now I begin my temporary life without an Xbox. :[

EDIT:
Just left my poor xbox with the strange woman at the UPS store.

RobbieNick

Fuck.

I'm on my third 360. Today, it decides it's not going to send a video signal at all. The HDMI cable works, but no signal is shown. I find the old composite cables that came with it and I get sound, but no picture. I tried the whole "Press and hold Y and Right Trigger" bit. Nothing. I even used my VGA cables that I rarely use. Still no go.

On top of that, I can't find my receipt and warranty! It's not in the box, or my receipt with my important papers. Due to it not being rrod, I can't send it to MS without waiting forever and paying through the nose. SHIT!!

This is my third, damn 360. I'm getting tired of this shit.

Luckily, I have a place close by that repairs consoles. It's still green ringing, and I get sound, so hopefully, it's a minor repair.

Just had my first failure with my first box manf. Jan 06.

it RROD'd a couple months ago, towel trick got it working again for a few months, RROD'd again, tried the x-clamp thing, but ended up getting the E74 error.

RIP, jan 06 - june 09.

About a month ago, I posted here lamenting the death of my (near) launch 360. Up until now, I was able to nurse it along via the towel trick, but now it consistently gives the RRoD, even after towel tricking.

Even though it's out of warranty, I might as well call support to see if it's at all possible to get it fixed for free. If not, I'll have to consider either forking over $100 to MS for repairs, or getting a new Arcade system-- more expensive, but it's a potentially more reliable console with a shiny 3-yr warranty.

donny2112

Psychotext,
I saw the most recent stats from April, but it doesn't mention Jaspers specifically. I saw one of your posts discussing a power supply issue with a Jasper, but other than that, are Jaspers looking to finally be a solution to the fatal system error crashes? i.e. Is it more likely than not, based on what's known so far, that Jaspers will typically last something long like 10 years?

I know you can't predict an additional 9.5 years into the future, but have there been any indications of inherent problems with the Jasper design?

Thanks. :)

There is one "Jasper failure" in the latest set of stats, but it's a PSU failure so technically there's been no Jaspers reported dead here so far. There were only two or three falcon failures reported here in the first 5 months after they were available, so it's probably too early to say.

The guy who works for MS customer service and posts in here certainly seems considerably more confident about the Jasper though.

Just got off the line with Xbox support. No luck getting it repaired under warranty, but it was a long shot since I'm several months past the warranty expiration date.

I believe my best option would be to pick up a new Jasper Arcade, so that I can at least use my old 20gb HDD.

Outside of a Fall 2008-onwards manufacturing date, and the 12.1-amp rating on the back label, is there any other sure-fire way of spotting Jaspers in stores? Those should be enough in any case.

segarr

Well, my THIRD 360 just died on me...

I'm not even sure if it's under warranty or not. Is there a way to check online?

Is it true that they just discontinued the coffin program?

What a fucking pain in the ass....

segarr said:
Well, my THIRD 360 just died on me...

I'm not even sure if it's under warranty or not. Is there a way to check online?

Is it true that they just discontinued the coffin program?

What a fucking pain in the ass....

If you have your console registered on Xbox.com, going to the repair page will tell you whether your console is still in warranty or not.

They still send you a box if you set the repair up on Xbox.com.

I abandoned this depressing thread and my list-keeping duties a long time ago, and Psychotext's stats are far more detailed anyway, but I'm reporting in for my refurb's RROD. My launch unit died in August 2006, and back then people were still claiming there wasn't anything systemically wrong with the console. Sigh. Good times.

Anyone know what the repair status "Console Shipped Out" is supposed to mean? It's before they have even repaired mine. Does it mean they're sending me a replacement?
repair.png

To be clear, my 360 has already been delivered to them. Mine was a Falcon btw.

It means they update their status indicators slowly. I wouldn't worry about it.

You're seeing the indicator that says your box is still in transit to them.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
My 360 died about a week ago today. Cracked it open, put on new thermal paste, reseated the heat sinks and its still going strong!

xBigDanx

OK I'll try here first and see what answers I get...

My 360 is giving me the 2 red lights. Seems this means the console is overheating. The problem is, it's not hot. I've given it 24 hours and it still does it after about 1 minute of being on. It's a refurb from MS (my first one RROD'ed on me).

Will MS cover this one? Or will I have to pay to get it fixed? If so, I'm considering going out and buying one of the new ones (was planning on buying a 60gb hard drive this week so it won't be a total waste)

Top Bottom