• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do we need a receipt to get it warrantied through MS? I just bought a broken 3LOD one on eBay.

Bildi

Bboy AJ said:
Do we need a receipt to get it warrantied through MS? I just bought a broken 3LOD one on eBay.
When I rang they just asked when I purchased it and never asked for proof.

Bebpo

Banned
jordan0386 said:
/thread

re title...My Xbox 360 Died and MS will BOHICA for it

EDIT: o_O...I loved you so...Jan 07-Jul 07

we will meet again

This thread will die when MS fixes the systems, which might be happening any day now because of this announcement.

But, until that happens people will keep having their systems die on them and post in this thread.

Considering all the old systems out there, even if starting today all systems were 100% fixed when repaired or bought in stores, I'd give this thread another 12 months of daily bumping still.

Microsoft wins if this thread disappears a year from now. If it's still being bumped daily in 2 years, gamers lose.

Nikashi

Banned
Haha, okay, let's calculate how much this thread will cost MS in total, I'll start.

$168.00 + $10 (Kameo) + $20 (1600 free MS points to placate me)

= $198.00 CDN

= $187.42 USD

Keep the total going and we'll see where we end up. :D

Bildi

Nikashi said:
Haha, okay, let's calculate how much this thread will cost MS in total, I'll start.

$168.00
I've missed some piece of information or someone's clever maths - where is the $168 from?

AirBrian

Quick question:

A buddy of mine just got his 360 back from MS last week, and yesterday it started not reading any discs. No error message...dashboard is fine...he can play his arcade games...but it just won't read any discs. Any ideas?

EDIT: It is going back to MS, he's just looking for a fix until his coffin arrives.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
MS CAN DIE DIE DIE DIE

I WENT A MONTH WITHOUT MY SYSTEM AND TODAY I GET A ****ING REFURB MAN THATS BROKEN!

THE DAMN F-ING DISC TRAY WONT CLOSE AND MY THE SYSTEM WONT SPIT OUT THE COLOR RED,EVERYTHING IS YELLOW AND BLUE,BUT THE GOD DAMN DISC TRAY OPENS WHEN I TURN THE SYSTEM ON,HAS NO OPTION TO CLOSE IT AND WHEN I DO PUT A GAME IN IT SPITS THE GAME BACK OUT.

I'M TEMPTED TO TAKE A HAMMER TO IT!

ok enough yelling,this is absurd.Now I have to call them again and wait for another coffin and go another damn month without one.

This is a nightmare :(

Piscopink

adamsappel said:
Okay, I updated the list. 687 dead consoles, from 512 individual posters. Refurb failure rate holds at 34%.

I'm wondering how the 360 Elite is holding up compared to the regular 360... is the failure rate still the same? The 360 Elite has that new motherboard layout and some other internal improvements, but do they work is the $64,000 question. Are there many stories of 360 Elites breaking down out yet?

360eliteanimated.gif

LJ11

Matrix said:
MS CAN DIE DIE DIE DIE

I WENT A MONTH WITHOUT MY SYSTEM AND TODAY I GET A ****ING REFURB MAN THATS BROKEN!

THE DAMN F-ING DISC TRAY WONT CLOSE AND MY THE SYSTEM WONT SPIT OUT THE COLOR RED,EVERYTHING IS YELLOW AND BLUE,BUT THE GOD DAMN DISC TRAY OPENS WHEN I TURN THE SYSTEM ON,HAS NO OPTION TO CLOSE IT AND WHEN I DO PUT A GAME IN IT SPITS THE GAME BACK OUT.

ok enough yelling,this is absurd.Now I have to call them again and wait for another coffin and go another damn month without one.

Wow, that's ****ing terrible. Such a ****ing disaster.

Matrix said:
THE DAMN F-ING DISC TRAY WONT CLOSE AND MY THE SYSTEM WONT SPIT OUT THE COLOR RED,EVERYTHING IS YELLOW AND BLUE
If you are using component, you sure the red is plugged in and not loose? I've done something like that before moving a DVD player around.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yep and with E3 coming up and football games,I feel like weeping :(

Mrbob

Matrix said:
MS CAN DIE DIE DIE DIE

And this is why MS extension to 3 year RROD means nothing to me, when you gotta go through refurb hell like Matrix. :/

Get Batman on the job!

Matrix

Im doing this one more time,if I get another broken one back....

im asking for my warranty money back,im qutting live and waiting to buy a new system when everything is fixed.

I'll sell the 3rd broken one on ebay ,if it comes back ****ed up too.

Manp

after 27 working days and 36 days in total my 360 is still at the repair center... that's a joke.
the operator told me to call back on Monday to talk with a supervisor and get a free game or something...

i really don't want a free launch game that would cost me 10€. i want my console back! :°°°

:)

Matrix

Illuminati said:
If you are using component, you sure the red is plugged in and not loose? I've done something like that before moving a DVD player around.

haha whoops yea it was loose,color is fixed,doesnt matter cause the disc drive is broken.

Guess I can play arcade games now till I get a coffin shipped to me.

scarybore

Just finished 2 hours of being on the phone to get my 360 fixed again, mostly because the waiting time at the moment is horrific.

First time I rang Microsoft I was told that since I just got my 360 back from the repair center and it was still faulty, it would be easier for them to give me a number that I can take along with my console to any retailer that sells a 360 and they would exchange the console on the spot. Cue a phone call to a retailer who had never heard of any such system and so they could do nothing to help.

After a 45 minute wait listening to that annoying music on the customer service line I was finally able to talk to someone, where the conversation went from tennis, rugby, Abba and to throwing PCs out of windows. My thanks go to a very helpful lady who was able to get me a wireless controller and Crackdown as compensation for my troubles as well as sorting out for my 360 to be fixed/replaced.

She also said my 360 would be on rapid response and would likely be a 10 day wait rather than the usual 25 but I take that with a pinch of salt.

Matrix

jesus 2 hours :eek:

Im going to try to call tonight and hopefully get someone I can understand.

They better give me a game/controller,a working system,and rapid response >_<

Those of you calling into 1-800-4MYXBOX can expect extensive wait times for the next while. It's unavoidable given the news NeoGAF wanted to hear. Current wait for an agent is hovering around 70 minutes.

You can also expect turnaround time on repairs to be extensively increased in light of the media exposure and demand on the service center. Those of you already planning to score consoles off eBay or trigger your own 3RL errors in order to get "maintenance" done on your otherwise healthy systems may be looking at doing without for 4-6 weeks instead of what was a 2-3 week turnaround before yesterday.

This could be one of those 'be careful what you wish for' scenarios, guys. Just letting you know.

blahness

My 3rd 360 (1 month old) is having a problem with the gpu putting up black square artifacts randomly across the screen in vertical strips. I really want to hold off calling for a coffin because my console is still playable and i dont want to miss the e3 stuff. Anyone else have this problem with the artifacts? how soon may i be to another dead console?

Grecco

2Hrs? pftt i just waited 3hrs for my call

And they tried to weasel out of it saying they couldnt ship to my location. After alitle argument they decided to ship me the coffin anyways. Plus he told me their system had crashed already because of soo many calls today. :lol Oh well As long as i get my Xbox fixed by September its cool

Matrix

What B-Rad Lascelle just said just pisses me off even more.It should be different for the people that get a broken system sent to them and cant even use it the first day.Ive already been without my system 1 month,now I have to do it all over again cause of awful customer service and wait even longer.

edit- This disc tray opens up even when I turn the console off :lol

Matrix said:
What B-Rad Lascelle just said just pisses me off even more.It should be different for the people that get a broken system sent to them and cant even use it the first day.Ive already been without my system 1 month,now I have to do it all over again cause of awful customer service and wait even longer.

edit- I cant find any info about disc trays not closing on xbox.com :\ This disc tray opens up even when I turn the console off :lol
Check your PMs.

Rat Salad

Banned
SSM25 said:
asking again.........

Because it froze? C'mon-all systems will freeze occasionaly. I've had my PS3 and 360 freeze a few times,they both works great 99% of the time. And yes I am using a 360 that I originally purchased a few months after its launch,no problems here. Same thing with the PS3 as well.
A freeze every now and then is a pretty common happening,its been that way for consoles for years.

SSM25 said:
asking again.........

Doesn't mean anything. Game software crashes are not unheard of. For example many people were experiencing crashes in Rainbow Six before the game was patched. It had nothing to do with their consoles.

However if it starts crashing often, or it displays checkered corrupted graphics on screen when it crashes, then you're on your way to my avatar.

985boi

Matrix said:
jesus 2 hours :eek:

Im going to try to call tonight and hopefully get someone I can understand.

They better give me a game/controller,a working system,and rapid response >_<

What time do you usually call them? I called them last Thursday around 2 p.m. and the call last around 15 minutes all together.

Kolgar

Piscopink said:
I'm wondering how the 360 Elite is holding up compared to the regular 360... is the failure rate still the same? The 360 Elite has that new motherboard layout and some other internal improvements, but do they work is the $64,000 question. Are there many stories of 360 Elites breaking down out yet?

360eliteanimated.gif

I've searched the best I can and only found two or three instances of Elite owners getting red-ringed.

Some Elite owners even claim to have the third heatsink. Manufacture dates after about 3/24/07, though one guy with a 3/27 date says no and I can't see one in mine, either. Granted, I can't see sh*t using the method described here:

http://forums.xbox.com/13223656/ShowPost.aspx

Also, most everybody who's getting refubs back is claiming to have a third heatsink.

Matrix

985boi said:
What time do you usually call them? I called them last Thursday around 2 p.m. and the call last around 15 minutes all together.

Ive only called them twice and that was almost amonth ago when my first console red ringed and it only lasted like 10-15 mins,but now it appears it takes longer now according to two people in here.

B-Rad Lascelle has helped me out this time.

"http://forums.xbox.com/13223656/ShowPost.aspx

Also, most everybody who's getting refubs back is claiming to have a third heatsink."

My busted refurb I got today didnt have the extra heatsink.

Piscopink

Kolgar said:
I've searched the best I can and only found two or three instances of Elite owners getting red-ringed.

Some Elite owners even claim to have the third heatsink. Manufacture dates after about 3/24/07, though one guy with a 3/27 date says no and I can't see one in mine, either. Granted, I can't see sh*t using the method described here:

http://forums.xbox.com/13223656/ShowPost.aspx

Also, most everybody who's getting refubs back is claiming to have a third heatsink.

Thanks for the info.

I dug a little deeper and found this:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technol...moore_tries_to_cool_hot_xbox_360_problem.html

Moore does a lot of apologising, but not much useful stuff emerges. A couple of atoms of info from Gamespot are that problems are not related to specific software (it's nor Forza 2) and that the Elite version has been affected less than the Core and Pro.

Also, today on the Xbox forums someone posted this:

i just bought my xbox360 elite, no manufacturing date.

good or bad? i checked the usb port in the front, and the sticker next to the av
And the reply...
Re: i just bought my xbox360 elite, no manufacturing date.

Crack that sucker open and let us know if they are using the 65nm chip yet so I can get an Elite finally!!

Is he full of crap or is this true?

i got my 360 back today and it has already flatout refused to power on twice already. i try to power it on from the controller... no dice, push the button on the console... nothing.

unplugging it seemed to get it working again for now but this ****ing sucks.

Matrix

WickedLaharl said:
i got my 360 back today and it has already flatout refused to power on twice already. i try to power it on from the controller... no dice, push the button on the console... nothing.

unplugging it seemed to get it working again for now but this ****ing sucks.

Refurb,right? :(

Norse

The system you got back isnt the one you sent in so you eed to sync the controller before it wil turn on/off your 360. My premium controller didnt work with my elite until I sync'd them. If you got a refurb, you might just need to resync the controller once. Then things will work as they are supposed to. /cross fingers.

Bildi

Kolgar said:
I'm not disputing your point at all, but popping into this thread regularly I don't recall anybody having the extra heatsink yet. I don't visit other forums much so I don't know what's going on there.

985boi

So I finally packed my 360 into the coffin today. I notice that when I was moving the 360 around, I hear noises like some screws are loose inside the system. Thats weird because I don't remember hearing it when I first got my 360. It's not like I moved it around a lot or even dropped it ever.

Bildi

985boi said:
So I finally packed my 360 into the coffin today. I notice that when I was moving the 360 around, I hear noises like some screws are loose inside the system. Thats weird because I don't remember hearing it when I first got my 360. It's not like I moved it around a lot or even dropped it ever.
I think all 360s have that. All five 360s that have been in my possession at one time or another have had it. Admittedly four of them have broken so maybe it's not a good thing? :lol

arne

Bildi said:
I think all 360s have that. All five 360s that have been in my possession at one time or another have had it. Admittedly four of them have broken so maybe it's not a good thing? :lol

it's the ball bearing or whatever mechanism that detects where the system is vertical or horizontal.

you guys are worse than my dad, who hears me tapping my foot in the car to music when I go visit my folks and he starts to think something is wrong with the car instead.

Bildi

arne said:
it's the ball bearing or whatever mechanism that detects where the system is vertical or horizontal.
That makes sense. I always wondered what it was so thanks for solving that mystery! It's been quite an adventure but I guess out work here is done.

scooby.gif

arne

Bildi said:
That makes sense. I always wondered what it was so thanks for solving that mystery. It's been quite an adventure but I guess out work here is done.

scooby.gif

and i would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!

WTFing

Banned
Bildi said:
I'm not disputing your point at all, but popping into this thread regularly I don't recall anybody having the extra heatsink yet. I don't visit other forums much so I don't know what's going on there.
You must unlock the heatsink achievement, and i didn't, i fail so my refurb MUST survive without it.
Matrix and Wicked, i had the same treatment ;(
Norse, i sincerely appreciate your apologies. You are the only one i think, others now try to convince us that 3 years is omg and the only thing that matters is the way MS are dealing with us. All i am asking since my first 360 died, is a working system. MS, put a heatsink, a sponge or a towel in your 360 but I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO CALL YOU AGAIN. Thank you.

Top Bottom