• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Rorschach

Damn, Matrix, that sucks. I fear, knowing my luck, that the same thing happens to me. I've had more broken xboxen than you, but I never had the luck of them coming back broken out of the box. Although, they seem to be getting older every time I get it back. :lol

Kolgar said:
I've searched the best I can and only found two or three instances of Elite owners getting red-ringed.
There's a separate thread for elites. :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153089

You'll notice less since it's spread amongst different threads and there are less elite buyers since most people here have premiums.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Some part of me thinks its better it happened out of the box,as much as it sucks,atleast it didnt break on me after I went out and bought some new football games and started GAF league play.

the light behind the power button on the console has gone blinking like crazy once now too.

do they even test things before they leave the repair center?

my problem with the power button on the console only turning it on if you hit it just right should've never left the repair center like this.

atleast this one works for now. jesus i fell really bad for matrix and anyone else who waits a ****ing month only to a completely broken one back.

EctoPrime

My 360 will no longer get past the startup logo with the hdd attached, as the warranty guy said just send the 360, the sata socket better be the bloody problem.

How common is error 67? The tech guy was talking like it was the first reported case of it.

comrade

So trying to get my Microsoft Points has turned into a huge ****ing ordeal. I never received a call from Microsoft and its been 11 days and I was supposed to geta call back in 5-10. I've been hung up on twice by supervisors after I've been placed on hold. Some idiot rep told me I had to have a Gamertag to be able to purchase Points. This is getting really lame.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WickedLaharl said:
the light behind the power button on the console has gone blinking like crazy once now too.

do they even test things before they leave the repair center?

my problem with the power button on the console only turning it on if you hit it just right should've never left the repair center like this.

atleast this one works for now. jesus i fell really bad for matrix and anyone else who waits a ****ing month only to a completely broken one back.

Thanks,I feel bad for everyone.

My refurb was also doing the blinking power light on the console like yours.The center button wouldnt stop blinking green.Also from the the hour I had it on,it was running way hotter than my first console ever did.

Bildi

EctoPrime said:
How common is error 67? The tech guy was talking like it was the first reported case of it.
E67? Well I bought (and returned) two consoles with manufacture date of July 2006 because they both had E67 straight out of the box.

I just got a refund after that. I'd had enough of that sh*t for one day.

Matrix - my first refurb lasted 5 HOURS. I got to play for 5 HOURS! Read it and weep sucker!

EctoPrime said:
My 360 will no longer get past the startup logo with the hdd attached, as the warranty guy said just send the 360, the sata socket better be the bloody problem.

Call back into support with your reference number and direct the agent to bring up Knowledge Base Article 917874 to troubleshoot your specific issue further.

Dave Long

Banned
Did anyone call them today for a 3-year warranty repair that has a major malfunction that is NOT the three red lights of death? Are they really sticking to that and that alone as a free repair?

Matrix

Bildi said:
Matrix - my first refurb lasted 5 HOURS. I got to play for 5 HOURS! Read it and weep sucker!

:lol

PG2G

I joined the broken 360 family this morning. Launch unit...

Started checkerboarding in Forza 2, then in the dash, then in the boot screen.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't heard of checkerboarding until the Wednesday before last when it happened to me while viewing extras in the Darkness (my 360 is from launch). I kept trying to restart it to see if that would help and got the red rings on a few tries.

Called up support and they wanted to charge me $140, I said no because the red rings are too common of a problem to expect me to pay for it and asked to talk to a manager. I got put on hold and the original CSR came back on and said that they'd do it for free.

They sent me the coffin while I was out of town, so I just got it to UPS last night, and it should go out today.

No Bungie Day goodies for me. I miss it already :(

My xbox broke (what a surprise) and I shipped it out on June 25th. Just wondering, how long did it take for you guys to get it back? And how would one go about getting the tracking number for the package? Thanks.

ok i got my coffin on the way.

they said dont send any harddrivers or cables or faceplates

should I take off the stock face plate then? or did they just mean if I had a designer one or somthing installed.

Bildi

noire said:
Called up support and they wanted to charge me $140, I said no because the red rings are too common of a problem to expect me to pay for it and asked to talk to a manager. I got put on hold and the original CSR came back on and said that they'd do it for free.
Seems like they haven't informed all support staff of the three year warranty. I suspect even once they are informed there will be cases where they'll f*ck us around with crap like 'it might be the power supply'. I had this last time I called - how the F*CK can 3RLD be the power supply or be caused by it? It f*cking can't, that's how.

deMonkey

It's really beating a dead horse at this point but chalk up another victim. I bought my 360 Premium on launch day along with a two-year warranty from Best Buy. I had no problems until today when I went to fire it up. Red Rings of Death...

I have been playing Forza 2 an hour or so each day for the last week, but that's the heaviest use this console has seen since I bought it. The worst part is no Best Buys within 100 miles have any 360s in stock and one store claimed they have not received any for at least week, suggesting some sort of supply issue.

I may just go through Microsoft at this point instead. :(

rs7k

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok i got my coffin on the way.

they said dont send any harddrivers or cables or faceplates

should I take off the stock face plate then? or did they just mean if I had a designer one or somthing installed.

Keep the stock faceplate on. I assume they'll want it for their refurb cycle :lol

Bildi

rs7k said:
Keep the stock faceplate on. I assume they'll want it for their refurb cycle :lol
Hang on dude! They always tell me to take the faceplate off. Generally you just send the broken part. Which is just the 360 itself of course. :lol

Matrix

They never told me to take the faceplate off :\

well i've got another coffin on the way because the one i got back yesterday might have a loose power switch.

they said it will take 4 to 6 ****ing weeks this time! you're makin' me cry here msft!

Matrix

WickedLaharl said:
well i've got another coffin on the way because the one i got back yesterday might have a loose power switch.

they said it will take 4 to 6 ****ing weeks this time! you're makin' me cry here msft!

I think the gaming gods hate you and I.

Rorschach

Bildi said:
Hang on dude! They always tell me to take the faceplate off. Generally you just send the broken part. Which is just the 360 itself of course. :lol
The instructions say only if you have a custom one. I've sent mine off with the stock one and the refurbs I got back had their own, so...

noire

Unconfirmed Member
ZombieSupaStar said:

I think that the print out that they gave me with instructions had the stock faceplate on the console in the photos. I left mine on.

Bildi said:
Seems like they haven't informed all support staff of the three year warranty.

In all fairness, my case was prior to the announcement. I like to think that my shrewd haggling was the cause of the announcement. ;)

MikeB

Banned
Smarthouse:

In Australia Microsoft refused to return calls on the issue and their PR Company even went as far as saying that there was no problem and that SmartHouse was exaggerating. So we decided to contact retailers selling the Xbox 360. They reported massive problems with the console with several claiming that the return rate was over 30%

As an example the Sony PS2 had a return rate of between 1 & 2% The PS 3 which has only been in the market for 6 months is less than 1%.

So much for some XBox 360 fans FUDding the PS2 (and PS3 initially).

Asian manufacturers of the Xbox 360 who have been pressured by Microsoft to lower costs by as much as 15% say that the problem is caused by poor Microsoft design and the Company buying low cost components
One Asian manufacturer that SmartHouse spoke to on Friday said "Microsoft have known of this problem for a long time. They are trying to blame component manufacturers but it was a combination of bad design and them (Microsoft) wanting everything cheap.
A lot of manufacturers were pushed to deliver components without much testing of the components working together inside the console
Am I the only one who rather have a more expensive sturdy XBox 360?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
And another one...

070707191000vg2.jpg

This is my second. Add this one to the master list.

aaaaa0

MikeB said:
One Asian manufacturer that SmartHouse spoke to on Friday said "Microsoft have known of this problem for a long time. They are trying to blame component manufacturers but it was a combination of bad design and them (Microsoft) wanting everything cheap.

BS. Microsoft took full responsibility.

http://microsoft.shareholder.com/webcast/MediaPresentation.asp?MediaID=26282&MediaUserID=0

Charlie Debona (Sanford Bernstein): I was wondering if you could comment on whether this was a design issue or an assembly issue. And to the extent it's an assembly issue, do you have any recourse to your manufacturers?

Robbie Bach: You should think of this as an issue that's Microsoft's responsibility. The partners who have done assembly and component work for us have done good work; we're very proud of working with them; we're going to continue to work with them. So you should think of it as a Microsoft design issue. Again, since it's multiple things, I hate to even point at design. To get at the heart of your question, it's really our responsibility, not anybody else's.

New 360s won't have the problem, they're fixing anyone who gets the problem free of charge, and giving back the money to anyone who paid for a repair.

Yeah they screwed up, but how much more do you want them to do?

arne

MikeB said:
Smarthouse:

So much for some XBox 360 fans FUDding the PS2 (and PS3 initially).

Am I the only one why rather have a more expensive sturdy XBox 360?

pick a thread dude!

I was confused at first.

JdFoX187

Banned
Well mine has officially kicked the can. It freezes all the time during regular Xbox 360 games and sometimes won't even get past the loading screen. Also shows three red lights sometimes. On the phone with the shitty customer service now.

be strong when you get told that it is going to take 4 to 6 weeks.

i'm now considering getting all multiplatform games for ps3 because of this shit.

PS360

Banned
aaaaa0 said:
Yeah they screwed up, but how much more do you want them to do?

How about covering things under this new warranty other than the 3 red lights? It's not the only problem with the console.

JdFoX187

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
be strong when you get told that it is going to take 4 to 6 weeks.

i'm now considering getting all multiplatform games for ps3 because of this shit.
I've been arguing for who knows how long now with a supervisor. He even threatened me. Said and I quote, "If you don't back off, sir, I will not process your request and you will not get your console repaired."

rs7k

JdFoX187 said:
I've been arguing for who knows how long now with a supervisor. He even threatened me. Said and I quote, "If you don't back off, sir, I will not process your request and you will not get your console repaired."

Ouch.

I got my 360 back 3 business days after I sent it, isn't their policy five days or less? Or did they change it for the influx of 360s they'll get after the announcement? My friend just sent in a repair order for his launch 3RLOD 360 that broke on him many months ago (refused to pay $140), and they told him it would take four weeks.

JdFoX187

Banned
rs7k said:
Ouch.

I got my 360 back 3 business days after I sent it, isn't their policy five days or less? Or did they change it for the influx of 360s they'll get after the announcement? My friend just sent in a repair order for his launch 3RLOD 360 that broke on him many months ago (refused to pay $140), and they told him it would take four weeks.
I was told now "four to six weeks at the earliest. Things do sometimes happen." That's not a very good disclaimer. I've been a supporter of Microsoft. But when a supervisor calls me stupid when I start quoting numbers off NPD and other news stories and says I'm "misinformed" about the return rate, it's very tiresome.

Guy even tried to push off the "three to five percent" return rate on me and I laughed in his face.

i wonder what theyre gonna do to mine tho, just reflow the board and slap a new heatsink on it?

also the lady I talked to said that they knew about the 3 year coverage and kept asking me if it WAS 3 RED FLASHING LIGHTS, CONFIRM?

about 5 times ....lol jesus...

Four to six weeks is the current turnaround time in North America, guys. There's a lot of repair volume, don't ya know.

Make some noise in this thread if you're stuck in limbo after your console's been at the service center a week and I'll do what I can to speed things up.

Choabac

Quick heads up. Once again, apologies if old and/or too off topic.

Hot the on heels of the 3 year red ring warranty from MS, EB Games Australia will now no longer be providing any new extended warranties for X360. Customers already with extended warranties are unaffected; this just applies to future customers.

snacknuts

we all knew her
My launch 360 got the RROD yesterday. I was watching a Freaks & Geeks DVD at the time - paused it for about five minutes and the screen just went black. Restarted it and got the RROD.

*sigh*

Danielsan

It's been 15 business days (3 weeks) and still no word from Microsoft in regards to my Xbox360. Something tells me I won't be seeing it back for at least another 2 weeks. I'll give them a call tomorrow to ask them when I can expect my 360 back. If will take much longer then I expect some form of compensation from them.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I had a b&m warranty. Didn't realize how hard to find Cores are, but I found one near by at Hechinger Mall in DC. Works perfectly.

Now when this one dies, I'll be forced to go through MS...which takes far too long. But whatever.,

rs7k

Playing Oblivion and textures keep disappearing/appearing. The hassle of getting my first replacement was nothing, since it was only a few days, but I shudder to think about 4-6 weeks. Hopefully this one is still alive by the time Bioshock comes out.

Tokubetsu

Well according to UPS, my 360 has been delivered to their warehouse or whatever....time to wait to see if my xbox.com/service thing updates.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Four to six weeks is the current turnaround time in North America, guys. There's a lot of repair volume, don't ya know.

Make some noise in this thread if you're stuck in limbo after your console's been at the service center a week and I'll do what I can to speed things up.

shouldn't people who get a messed up console back from repair get preferred treatment anyway? i mean we've been through this already only to have to wait an additional 4 to 6 frickin weeks. our process should be sped up by default.

thanks for all of your help, i'm just a sad panda :<

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Forza 2 kept freezing my 360 until finally:

68m09qu.jpg

Top Bottom