• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am on hold now. Is it not worth waiting right now? Because I won't be able to call at that time tomorrow.

Speevy

Banned
I really wouldn't recommend turing on your 360 until after they deliver the E3 demos. It would suck not getting to play with everyone else.

Bboy AJ said:
I am on hold now. Is it not worth waiting right now? Because I won't be able to call at that time tomorrow.

I would call back early morning, when I got the chance

you could practically call them, on the cell, where ever you may be...all you would need is the serial number...then take down their reference number

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Forza 2 killed my 360. I'm on with a rep now. It booted up but then froze. Then it started giving me a yellow and green tint. Now no picture period.

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.

WTFing

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
shouldn't people who get a messed up console back from repair get preferred treatment anyway? i mean we've been through this already only to have to wait an additional 4 to 6 frickin weeks. our process should be sped up by default.
thanks for all of your help, i'm just a sad panda :<

ntm.gif

wait until someone talk about free controller or Kameo ...

Bildi

Rorschach said:
The instructions say only if you have a custom one. I've sent mine off with the stock one and the refurbs I got back had their own, so...
Maybe it's a regional thing. Here in Australia they ask that we remove the faceplate. Good to know that if you send a faceplate with your 360 they actually send one back...

guise

It turns out Gamestation UK have a 1 year instore warranty. Got my Xbox replaced yesterday, and i had my first lockup after a few hours :lol - not surprising since the manufacture date was only a few days after my old Xbox so im not expecting this one to last much longer then 3 months

One interesting thing is i received a call from Microsoft yesterday, asking some questions getting feedback on their customer support process - since I had placed a call to them on the weekend immediately after I got the RRoD. Obviously I rated their tech support very, very badly considering the loser who I spoke with was reading from a manuscript, refused to believe I had a problem (because I did the towel trick and temporarily got my Xbox working while on the phone) and hung up on me at the end of the call before i could initiate the returns process. And this was specifically for that call, not to mention the countless headaches I had from them when I tried to get a refund for an arcade game.

But it seems like MS are beginning to wake up and realise their tech support is a sham.

Danoss

Mine just died. I turned it on to check out the E3 content, but not before checking my friends list first. Half way through seeing who was online, it freezes. I press restart and am promptly met with 3 red lights.

Looks like I'm calling Microsoft tomorrow. I really shouldn't have told that person yesterday about how good my launch 360 has been. At least it died now and not in the holiday period to come.

I got a call from UPS today.

Apparently my console arrives back. Tomorrow.

I shipped it to them on 24th OF MAY!

So, its been gone now for nearly 7 weeks.
I'm still waiting for my consolation Viva Pinata prize, but so far it looks like a booby prize, because althought they "shipped it" on the 29th of June, ITS STILL NOT HERE.

Hey Moore, my CONSUMER EXPERIENCE SUCKS.

Thanks.

Rorschach

Looks like I'm getting my 360 back on the 23rd at best. That's over a month and a half turnaround time. Gonna miss out on two of my sports leagues (this is the worst!) and I'm missing out on e3 bonanza, Bungie day, gta freebies, etc.

By the way, how the hell are you guys getting offered free stuff like games and controllers? I could barely get them to compensate live time. Although, I'm not too keen on yelling at the poor folks on the other side of the phone since it's not their fault and they're just doing their job.

After this e3, the PS3 is looking rather appetizing...especially for the future 360 downtimes I'm bound to suffer through. I used to think multiplatform titles would easily go in favor of 360, but I that would mean there's a risk I wouldn't be able to play them. -_-;

Rorschach said:
I could barely get them to compensate live time. Although, I'm not too keen on yelling at the poor folks on the other side of the phone since it's not their fault and they're just doing their job.
Yelling is a bad idea, as like you said, they're people just doing their jobs. Most of the time you can appeal to their sense of reason and if you push the right buttons they'll give everything they're allowed to give.

Hellraizah

What I find more offensive than Xbox 360s dying left and right, poor Microsoft service, etc. is that people are STILL supporting the console.

Of course, I know what people will say "But the games are so good!". Well, a good game you can't play when you WANT to play it ain't worth shit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My brother sent off his 360 last week, and he's really impatient, so he phoned them yesterday and they're sending him a free wireless controller. :lol

Orlics

Hellraizah said:
What I find more offensive than Xbox 360s dying left and right, poor Microsoft service, etc. is that people are STILL supporting the console.

Of course, I know what people will say "But the games are so good!". Well, a good game you can't play when you WANT to play it ain't worth shit.

The console will be fixed soon, and it isn't as if people spend more time waiting for their systems than playing it. You're grossly exaggerating the matter. I for one wouldn't give up hundreds of potential hours of Halo 3 for two weeks without my wittle Xbawks.

Orlics said:
The console will be fixed soon, and it isn't as if people spend more time waiting for their systems than playing it. You're grossly exaggerating the matter. I for one wouldn't give up hundreds of potential hours of Halo 3 for two weeks without my wittle Xbawks.

if only it was two weeks :<

i'm currently looking at 2 to 2 1/2 months of down time b/c i got an f'd up console back from repair.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow i feel like a dick cause i argued with people earlier about my console not breaking.

well it did today. but the thing that pisses me off is that i havent used it in months, and our house is air conditioned all summer so the heat could not have possibly gotten to it. my friend just turns it on, and bam no display. i'm like wtf and then a few seconds later the lights.

its just sad that it broke, i wanted to have it last this whole gen. just so i could say it did. :lol

oh well, well my question is, should i send in my console now or wait a few months til say September and send it in then? i wanna make sure I get the redesigned version. and i dont care how long it takes to fix, cause if theres a good game out and my console is broken, i'll just go get one from walmart or something and then return it.

edit: ok nvm. mine is still going strong. apparently my friend switched mine with his and i caught it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hey guys! GUESS WHAT?

MY 360 ****EN BROKE!

YAY!

**** you Microsoft! With your billions of dollars and your inability to make a quality console.

Now I gotta go through the process of sending it in. I really wanted to play The Darkness too but its too bad the game was developed for a time bomb being passed off as a console.

Um, this is weird. Yesterday I received an e-mail stating MS had shipped me a coffin for my 360. The thing is, I haven't requested one. The last time I spoke with Customer Support was last winter when I sent my 360 in the first time. I've had my "repaired" 360 for the past four or five months. Has anyone had this happen before? I have had the red rings of doom yet, but my system is tempermental about reading discs. Certain games give it dirty disc errors every half hour (The Darkness, Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and some games work with no problem (Crackdown, Overlord.) I'm not sure if I should take this as a sign and send it in, or if I should hold off.

Jugendstil said:
Um, this is weird. Yesterday I received an e-mail stating MS had shipped me a coffin for my 360. The thing is, I haven't requested one. The last time I spoke with Customer Support was last winter when I sent my 360 in the first time. I've had my "repaired" 360 for the past four or five months. Has anyone had this happen before? I have had the red rings of doom yet, but my system is tempermental about reading discs. Certain games give it dirty disc errors every half hour (The Darkness, Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and some games work with no problem (Crackdown, Overlord.) I'm not sure if I should take this as a sign and send it in, or if I should hold off.

They probably sent you my email...I called and got an order since 7/8...no coffin yet

Yeah, I sort of feel like I should take it as a sign and send it in anyway as I've avoided half the frustration of getting them to ship me a coffin. I'll wait and see if it actually arrives, and call MS support if it does.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Yea I got an email yesterday saying they shipped my box.... but I received the box like last week and they already received my broken Xbox on saturday.. so i am confused about that too..

also in the email i didnt have a serial number...

chemicals

mine broke over the weekend. Was playing Gears when it froze.. then got RROD.. did the towel trick.. now it plays regular xbox games and XBLA games fine, but still freezes when I try to play any 360 title. I'll be calling M$ to order a coffin tonight.

Guy Legend

MaX_PL said:
wow i feel like a dick cause i argued with people earlier about my console not breaking.

well it did today. but the thing that pisses me off is that i havent used it in months, and our house is air conditioned all summer so the heat could not have possibly gotten to it. my friend just turns it on, and bam no display. i'm like wtf and then a few seconds later the lights.

its just sad that it broke, i wanted to have it last this whole gen. just so i could say it did. :lol

oh well, well my question is, should i send in my console now or wait a few months til say September and send it in then? i wanna make sure I get the redesigned version. and i dont care how long it takes to fix, cause if theres a good game out and my console is broken, i'll just go get one from walmart or something and then return it.

edit: ok nvm. mine is still going strong. apparently my friend switched mine with his and i caught it.

Good friend you got there....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I was playing Overlord the other night and as I started the game, I was seeing white snow across the display (lots of individual pixels sparkling white), it even impacted the 360 OS menu overlay when I hit the home button. I shut down the 360 and restarted and haven't seen the problem since, with several hours of 360 use since then.

I haven't kept up with the exact symptons of 360 failure - is this one of them?

My third 360, my third, not one crash or freeze, perfectly working since last summer 360, just stop mid song in Guitar Hero II and flashed three red lights at me. I cried a little then turned it off and back on and it has kept working for the last ten minutes. I know this is the start of something bad…

…it will probably be fully dead by the end of July :(

kaching said:
I was playing Overlord the other night and as I started the game, I was seeing white snow across the display (lots of individual pixels sparkling white), it even impacted the 360 OS menu overlay when I hit the home button. I shut down the 360 and restarted and haven't seen the problem since, with several hours of 360 use since then.

This is what killed my first console. If the same thing happens yours that happened mine then the white dots will get more frequent, start to fill up the whole screen, and finally causing your game to crash accompanied by a really loud beeping noise through your speakers. You then wont be even able to get the game to even start with the white dots kicking in even before the 360 fully boots up.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I need to get my 360 fixed in time for Mass Effect (which is still a ways off). The PS3 I just bought will be substituting it.

Goodbye sweet prince! Hope Microsoft sends you back a changed man!

;_;

MCD

kaching said:

GPU overheating issues.

after 10/15 min. of playing, you may encounter it and your 360 may freeze, basically the same as 3 red lights (you may see it later if not sooner).

I'm sorry.

Station42

Bildi said:
Why not send it back to Microsoft? Their new hardware might be slightly more reliable than the old.

just can't wait ._.

but, the unpredictable happened...360 raised from ashes, and yet it lives!!!!...i tried and tried to restart the console, but nothing I thought, since the problem of the crash is some bad connected component on the motherboard, lets try to overheat the console, so instead of using the "towel" technique, i just stocked the console in a tight plastic box, and let it on for 6hrs or so...well, it just worked, and no more red rings...hope it's gonna last. XD XD

Ha ha, this thread is so ridiculous. It's like everyone is being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Anyway, I have another question. I've noticed that when my 360 starts giving me a lot of disc read errors, if I turn off the system and remove the hard drive, and reboot the system for a few minutes sans hard drive, it works without a problem. All issues I have booting a disc from the dashboard are gone as long as the hard drive is removed. Usually when I put the hard drive back on, it works for a few hours without a hitch, but once it's been on for awhile it starts acting up again. Has anyone experience anything like this? Would formatting my hard drive be worth trying? I am considering purchasing a memory card to back up my info before I format, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything like this since formatting seems kind of drastic.

Manp

after 46 days (32 working days) my 360 is still at the repair center...
there must be definitely something wrong with Microsoft

:)

Manp

Jugendstil said:
Um, this is weird. Yesterday I received an e-mail stating MS had shipped me a coffin for my 360. The thing is, I haven't requested one.

you should keep it anyway. it may come in handy sooner than you think :p

:)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
McDragon said:
GPU overheating issues.

after 10/15 min. of playing, you may encounter it and your 360 may freeze, basically the same as 3 red lights (you may see it later if not sooner).

I'm sorry.
Weird - it happened off a cold start, only seconds into the game launch (sitting in the Tower hub of Overlord, which can't be all that taxing compared to the main game). Like I said, I rebooted, didn't see the problem, and proceeded to play for several hours without it resurfacing.

That's because of overheating? Really?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^

Motherboard flex (due to extreme heat and the mobo not being secured properly) causes the GPU(?) to lose contact/unseat with the motherboard.

Things that may lead to 3RL errors while your console is perfectly fine...
* Overheating the console (keeping it on for extended periods without proper ventilation)
* Overheating the power supply (keeping it on a carpeted surface, near a heat source or plugged into a surge protector)
* Defective power supply or cord (simple enough to replace this)

Typically the common thread surrounding any of the above is that if your system locks up or you get a 3RL error or you see graphical imperfections and you're able to get back into gaming briefly "right away" by powering it off and on, that it's one of the above scenarios and not a system poised to keel over.

DRE issues aren't typically linked to overheating and are probably indicative of a problem unless you're testing out some scratched-to-hell title from Gamefly.

Food for thought.

Malleymal said:
Yea I got an email yesterday saying they shipped my box.... but I received the box like last week and they already received my broken Xbox on saturday.. so i am confused about that too..

Odds are your repair order was recreated to get your console moving at the service center and the person who set it up inadvertently shipped another box out to you. I wouldn't worry too much, but it might not be a bad idea to call in and get a status update.

Rorschach

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Things that may lead to 3RL errors while your console is perfectly fine...
* Overheating the console (keeping it on for extended periods without proper ventilation)
* Overheating the power supply (keeping it on a carpeted surface, near a heat source or plugged into a surge protector)
* Defective power supply or cord (simple enough to replace this)

Typically the common thread surrounding any of the above is that if your system locks up or you get a 3RL error or you see graphical imperfections and you're able to get back into gaming briefly "right away" by powering it off and on, that it's one of the above scenarios and not a system poised to keel over.

DRE issues aren't typically linked to overheating and are probably indicative of a problem unless you're testing out some scratched-to-hell title from Gamefly.

Food for thought.
If I got both the 3RL and DRE (with brand new games, no less), is it likely I'll get a different console than the one I sent? I had DRE issues and then 3RL when I tried to play XBLA to pass the time waiting for my shipping box shipment. They keep getting older every time I get one. :p

Malleymal said:

I got an e-mail saying that they haven't received my console. UPS.com says they did and I called to make sure that they did and they said they had. It didn't contain a serial number either.

Dear *********,

Xbox Customer Support ID#: ***********

Serial Number: [<---left blank for some reason....]

This e-mail is to let you know that we have received your request for service. However as of today, we have not received your Xbox console and would like to verify that you wish to continue with the service.

If you have not received the shipping materials or are having a problem with the shipment, please contact Xbox Customer Support. If your Xbox console no longer requires service, please let us know and we will cancel the order for you. If we do not receive the Xbox console within 30 calendar days from the date you first requested service, your order will be automatically cancelled. If you wait longer than 30 days, this service request will no longer be valid and a new service request will be required.

If you have questions about this service, please contact Xbox Customer Support by calling:

Within the U.S.: 1-800-4MY-XBOX

International (direct dial to U.S.): 425-635-7180

Hearing Impaired (TDD device): 1-866-740-9269 or 425-635-7102

I'm thinking it has to do with the "errors" that my account suffered that originally impeded the delivery of my coffin.

Well, it finally happened, should've known it was only a matter of time. My 360 was starting to freeze every once in awhile but without any red ring. I just came back from a vacation and i'm greeted with 3 fantsatic red rings of light. Call in yesterday and my coffin is on the way. I was told it would take 4-6 weeks but that for me it would be closer to the 4 weeks. Damn, I thought my launch unit could beat the system. I was never really hot, wasn't extremely loud like some people state, no disc read errors, just a couple crashes/freeze ups every once in awhile.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
purnoman3000 said:
Damn, I thought my launch unit could beat the system.

I think we all thought that :D

Mine was fine before the sudden 3 red lights. Never crashed, was loud, but bearable, etc, etc.

Top Bottom