• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

MCD

Speevy said:
My 3rd 360 just redringed.

False alarm though, a power surge did it, and not the GPU. It still works now.

Yes, power surges do that all the time, i often see my 360 red ringing at a blackout.

MCD

kaching said:
Weird - it happened off a cold start, only seconds into the game launch (sitting in the Tower hub of Overlord, which can't be all that taxing compared to the main game). Like I said, I rebooted, didn't see the problem, and proceeded to play for several hours without it resurfacing.

That's because of overheating? Really?

Maybe, that's how my 360 died (white/red lines on screen) and freezing every 10 min while playing any 360 game.

yours could be a false alarm, if it works, then it works, don't worry about it.

frogg609

I'm still waiting for my box so I can ship it to MS. I had called over 2 weeks ago, but apparently the first genius I talked to never filled out my work order, so I called back last week.

Hopefully I can mail it in soon. I would like to actually play the Darkness.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my 4th 360 has been having issues as of late. first, the entire road surface would dissapear will racing on the ring in forza 2. then the system started booting randomly with strange graphical artifacts (a sure sign death was coming). strangely enough though, still no red lights, however... the damn dvd tray wont open!

this sucks ass. anyone have any suggestions for at least a temporary fix? i'd like to get my game out at least before sending it in for "repairs"

Bildi

I think there's the usual hole next to the DVD tray where you can insert a paper clip, if you pull the faceplate off.

On the plus side, hopefully now you get a reliable 360. I've been willing my 3rd 360 to break (even though there's still two years of warranty left) but NOW the bastard refuses to die.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rors,I just got the same email as you,saying they havent received my 360 :\

And here's something else to add...I've had a few problems with my 360 freezing before. It happened with the Halo 3 Beta mostly. Anyway, I bought a used copy of The Darkness today and it's freezing on me on in the opening level. Once it freezes, I can't use the Xbox Guide button, and even opening the disc tray doesn't take me back to the Dashboard. Do you think it's my disc or the console?

Mar

Well I only just joined the 360 club, and on the same day joined the "My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread" club. E68 error straight out of the box.

I have another one now. I hope I have better luck with this time.

Trasher

ToyMachine228 said:
And here's something else to add...I've had a few problems with my 360 freezing before. It happened with the Halo 3 Beta mostly. Anyway, I bought a used copy of The Darkness today and it's freezing on me on in the opening level. Once it freezes, I can't use the Xbox Guide button, and even opening the disc tray doesn't take me back to the Dashboard. Do you think it's my disc or the console?

Did the Halo 3 beta freeze for you during actual gameplay or in the pregame lobby? It would freeze all the time for me in the pregame lobby, but never during a game.

voltron

Finally happened to me yesterday. I bought my conosle at the Australian launch last March so it was just over a year old. Its actually red ringed 4 times in various game but always turned straight back on without hesitation.

Yesterday playing DiRT the graphics went all weird and pixelly. Eventually after a few attempts at turning the machine on with the GPU ****ing up it eventually red ringed and that was that.

An interesting thing I noticed is although I dont have to technically pay for the delivery to Microsoft in Sydney, it appears if youre taking advantage of the 3 year extension like I was you dont get an express post box sent to your door. You have to find your own box - this ended up costing around 5bux.

I guess I should feel thankful that its happened now before the hardcore gaming run of insanity Microsoft have got this year starting with Bioshock next month.

Rorschach

ToyMachine228 said:
A quick question. Figured it belongs in here. If I want to clear my 360's HD, it doesn't clear DLC right? Just auto-updates?
Why not just do it manually? That way, you only delete what you want.

Matrix said:
Rors,I just got the same email as you,saying they havent received my 360 :\
I guess it's going around. I had just called a couple of days prior, so I'm not too worried. This better not mean further delays, though. ><

Bildi

voltron said:
An interesting thing I noticed is although I dont have to technically pay for the delivery to Microsoft in Sydney, it appears if youre taking advantage of the 3 year extension like I was you dont get an express post box sent to your door. You have to find your own box - this ended up costing around 5bux.
I believe this is for all returns in Australia. You don't get a box although I think they will organise one if you ask. I prefer it this way because at least you don't have to wait for them to send you a box.

It's really only the first return that's an issue. For the second and subsequent returns you can use the box that Microsoft shipped your repaired 360 back to you in.

voltron

Bildi said:
It's really only the first return that's an issue. For the second and subsequent returns you can use the box that Microsoft shipped your repaired 360 back to you in.

If I have to send it back for subsequent returns I wont be nearly an cheery as I currently am about the issue. But if I think youre ight about the boxes - friend just told me the very same thing.

VinZuku

A few weeks ago I was playing (don't laugh) Enchanted Arms on my 360 and I got the red rings. It's funny how when it finally happens to you it's just so...despiriting. I was able to just turn my system off then power it up again and take the disc out. There was a pretty good rain storm that day so I'm going to try and chalk it up as being a surge. Before the rings I never had one single problem with my 360 and we're talking a launch system here. Anyway, I haven't played an actual disc-based game on the system since and that was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've mostly been playing the new Pac-Man and Prince of Persia. As for Enchanted Arms I ended-up trading it in with several other 360 games for a PS3. I still love my 360 but ever since the rings I just feel different about it. Kind of like a best friend who kicks you in the balls after you just had ball surgery. Sure it apologized but our relationship will never again be the same.

Even Old Grandma's 360 kicked her in the...balls. Check out Thursday, May 17th.

http://www.oghc.blogspot.com/

knitoe

My Oct. 2005 died a few days ago. Didn't have any issue until it locked up while I was browsing my cars in Forza 2. Once I restarted, got the 3 red rings. Don't know what I am going to do w/o 3 hours of X360 each day for next 4-6 weeks. Tempted to get another X360 in the meantime, but maybe, it's better to play with the PS3 instead of letting it just collect dust.

Bildi

voltron said:
If I have to send it back for subsequent returns I wont be nearly an cheery as I currently am about the issue. But if I think youre ight about the boxes - friend just told me the very same thing.
Hopefully they've sorted their sh*t out and the new heatsink helps.

Regarding the boxes - when I rang to get my first 360 fixed, at the end of the conversation I asked if they could send a box out and he said 'I suppose we could'. But I told them to forget it. So yeah, if you ask, I guess they might.

DMczaf

It finally got me. :(

karma.jpg

I'm sorry Matrix!

DMczaf

OK WTF!

I turned it on without the A/V cable plugged in. While it was flashing all 4 red lights I plugged it back in and the damn thing turned on normally!

Im looking at the Dashboard and scared to touch it! :(

DMczaf said:
OK WTF!

I turned it on without the A/V cable plugged in. While it was flashing all 4 red lights I plugged it back in and the damn thing turned on normally!

Im looking at the Dashboard and scared to touch it! :(

What demon possessed you to try THAT?

DMczaf

I paniced and started doing what ever I could to make my 360 come back to life :lol :(

I turned it off and turned it back on and it gave me the 3 red lights again. My 360 can work! I just saw it working!

Edit: I tried to turn it on again and it works. My 360 is possessed!

Xbox 360 "sold out" (read: recalled) in Australia

According to an inside source, about two weeks ago all EB Games stores in Australia were told to return every Xbox 360 they had in stock. Indeed, a look on the EB Games Web site shows that the Xbox 360 is "sold out" at every store we checked.

It's another setback for Microsoft's console, with buyers worldwide being given an extended warranty just over a week ago due to a "design fault." Coping with the increased number of repairs is expected to cost the company in excess of $1 billion.

There is no word yet whether the alleged return of Xbox 360s in Australia is a result of this same design fault or another problem entirely.

A salesman at one of the EB Games stores in Sydney told GameSpot AU that all the stock received within the last two weeks is being recalled, but also speculated that "it could go back as far as a month."

Both Harvey Norman and Dick Smith have the product in stock as of the morning of July 16. EB Games refused to return our calls and a spokesperson for Microsoft declined to comment, telling Gamespot AU that, "We're not going to comment on that."

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
I paniced and started doing what ever I could to make my 360 come back to life :lol :(

I turned it off and turned it back on and it gave me the 3 red lights again. My 360 can work! I just saw it working!

Edit: I tried to turn it on again and it works. My 360 is possessed!
Uh-oh. Another asterisk in the 2k league list!

Tokubetsu

I moved recently and changed my address on the xbox.com/service site, I even emailed Sean, my ms rep again to make sure..it's been two days and no response ='(. He did say it'd take several more business days for them to ship out my 360 (I don't know if it has been repaired or not yet.)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
That bitch is dying Dm,the end is near *tear drop* Mine worked off and on for 1 day and then ....death :(

DMczaf

Matrix said:
That bitch is dying Dm,the end is near *tear drop* Mine worked off and on for 1 day and then ....death :(

My 360 is a survivor! He won't go down without a fight!

What caused all my problems was the Harry Potter demo. I was playing that and it crashed. I turned off the console and then turned it back on and it started giving me an E 79 error (Hard Drive failure) so I think Harry Potter killed my HDD (turned out my HDD was fine) I take out the HDD and turn it on again and now I'm getting 1 red light of death. Weird. Now I turn it off and turn it back on and i finally get the 3 red lights.

After I saw the 3 red lights, well you know the rest. Right now is working, no problems.

Kaeru

Banned
DMczaf said:

What caused all my problems was the Harry Potter demo. I was playing that and it crashed. I turned off the console and then turned it back on and it started giving me an E 79 error (Hard Drive failure) so I think Harry Potter killed my HDD (turned out my HDD was fine) I take out the HDD and turn it on again and now I'm getting 1 red light of death. Weird. Now I turn it off and turn it back on and i finally get the 3 red lights.

After I saw the 3 red lights, well you know the rest. Right now is working, no problems.

This makes playing 360 games so much more exciting!

warcrow

Banned
Two weeks ago my 360 red ringed. I put in The Darkness and during the first load it froze. I then rebooted it and it froze once more. I rebooted once more and there was artifacting during the 360 bootup and my head dropped into my hands (I was really looking forward to playing the game).

Thankfully I purchased the extended warranty from EB when I picked the console up, so all I had to do was walk in and swap the machine with a new one--which I did.

1 down......

JB1981

Sooooo

2nd 360 shit the bed about a week ago.

The UPS deliveryman came to the house during dinner. My mother answered the door and the guy hands her this big-ass box and goes: "Here's your coffin!" (no lie i swear).

The guy proceeds to tell me that he's personally been through 3 of them and sees dead 360s constantly.

He was nice enough to wait for me to pack everything up and took the box back with him.

I get an email from MS 3 days later.

Wait time?

4-6 weeks. Ouch.

Hopefully they're doing something significant to these things.

So I bought a used copy of The Darkness and it was freezing...Thought it might be the disc. Got a new one and it's still freezing. Think my 360's ****ed? I haven't had any other problems but games occassionally freezing, but The Darkness does it like 3 minutes into the game. It's always during gameplay. My 360 was made in December of 05. Haven't had any problems. I got red rings once, but my console wasn't dead. Think I should send it in?

Frillen

Nothing beats my waiting time: 10 weeks now!

They called me yesterday and said they had finally shipped the system, but I don't trust them :S

Kolgar

So my friend's copy of Gears won't play anymore and has a perfect concentric circle carved into it, but I suspect it happened when he tripped over the USB cable on his Play'n'Charge and knocked the system a bit during play.

He says the drive isn't carving up any other discs. Think he's in the clear or is it likely his drive mechanism got damaged?

MickeyPhree

Mine just took a dive on me(got mine April 2006). Got home from work, played some Halo2 till the fiance wanted the tv. Come back and play 30 minutes later and the system will not read discs. It tried for five minutes and then gave me the three rings of death. I've repeated this over and over the past hour and nothing works. Thanks Microsoft, this blows.

Tokubetsu

Kolgar said:
So my friend's copy of Gears won't play anymore and has a perfect concentric circle carved into it, but I suspect it happened when he tripped over the USB cable on his Play'n'Charge and knocked the system a bit during play.

He says the drive isn't carving up any other discs. Think he's in the clear or is it likely his drive mechanism got damaged?

I think it's just because he moved it. The console comes with a huge warning sticker that says you mustn't under any circumstance move the console while a disc is in the tray.

voltron

DMczaf said:

My 360 red ringed a total of 4 times over the past year. Each time it turned back on wihout hesitation - even though everytime it had frozen, the screen had gone all weird and the 3 red lights blinked on. The last time this happened was well over 6mnths ago though.

Then 2 days ago it finally happened for good. I thought my 360 was invincible after surviving 4 rings - I thought maybe it was building up a resistance:D

Anyway, the point is - your 360 is no doubt on the way out too. You should send it off sooner rather than later to have a clear run through the years massive games - starting with teh Bioshocksuz!!

Choabac

adamsappel said:
Xbox 360 "sold out" (read: recalled) in Australia

According to an inside source, about two weeks ago all EB Games stores in Australia were told to return every Xbox 360 they had in stock. Indeed, a look on the EB Games Web site shows that the Xbox 360 is "sold out" at every store we checked.

It's another setback for Microsoft's console, with buyers worldwide being given an extended warranty just over a week ago due to a "design fault." Coping with the increased number of repairs is expected to cost the company in excess of $1 billion.

There is no word yet whether the alleged return of Xbox 360s in Australia is a result of this same design fault or another problem entirely.

A salesman at one of the EB Games stores in Sydney told GameSpot AU that all the stock received within the last two weeks is being recalled, but also speculated that "it could go back as far as a month."

Both Harvey Norman and Dick Smith have the product in stock as of the morning of July 16. EB Games refused to return our calls and a spokesperson for Microsoft declined to comment, telling Gamespot AU that, "We're not going to comment on that."

Haha, inside source? Every casual working for the company in the country knew about this. Not really an exclusive scoop.

Oh even then, Gamespot couldn’t find out the reason for the recall. The reason (as I posted before), was because the last few shipments of X360’s had faulty HDD in them, which threw up a red ring on boot up.

A new (and tested shipment) of X360's are back in stores now.

Rorschach

sext0n said:
I've been sitting on hold since i posted my original messaged. I don't know how much more I can take.
It takes a long time these days. There are a LOT of broken 360s and on top of that, you have the new policy. That's also why you have the new "If you're calling about ... Please hang up now" messages before Max totally helps you out!

DMczaf

voltron said:
My 360 red ringed a total of 4 times over the past year. Each time it turned back on wihout hesitation - even though everytime it had frozen, the screen had gone all weird and the 3 red lights blinked on. The last time this happened was well over 6mnths ago though.

Then 2 days ago it finally happened for good. I thought my 360 was invincible after surviving 4 rings - I thought maybe it was building up a resistance:D

Anyway, the point is - your 360 is no doubt on the way out too. You should send it off sooner rather than later to have a clear run through the years massive games - starting with teh Bioshocksuz!!

Its gone :lol

Coffin comes in 4-5 business days.

Matrix said:

420redsdrago.jpg

"If it dies, it dies."

voltron

Choabac said:
Haha, inside source? Every casual working for the company in the country knew about this. Not really an exclusive scoop.

Oh even then, Gamespot couldn’t find out the reason for the recall. The reason (as I posted before), was because the last few shipments of X360’s had faulty HDD in them, which threw up a red ring on boot up.

A new (and tested shipment) of X360's are back in stores now.

Yo Choa!

So whats the deal with refurbished consoles and the EB ESA now? Were they recalled too? Is EB still offering the ESA?

voltron

NEWS on the "Falcon"

According to the Mercury Falcon is the name for the latest internal electronics in the Xbox 360. It will have an IBM microprocessor and an AMD/ATI graphics chip that are manufactured in a 65-nanometer production process. These are cost-reduced chips that do the same thing as their 90-nanometer predecessors, but they're smaller.

With smaller chips, Microsoft gets a bunch of benefits. They won't generate as much heat. So the risks of overheating — one of the main reasons behind Microsoft's billion-dollar write-off for repairs and extended warranties — are much lower. The chips may also cost half of what it took to make them before because they use less material and fewer manufacturing steps to produce.

Microsoft is in the process of qualifying the new Falcon chips and motherboard this summer. I expect it will launch Xbox 360s with the new Falcon innards this fall. That is why the company has been able to say that it has solved its manufacturing quality problems. Microsoft is likely to spend a little more money on heat sinks to make sure that the overheating problem doesn't resurface with Falcon.

Matrix

DMczaf said:
Its gone :lol

Coffin comes in 4-5 business days.

420redsdrago.jpg

"If it dies, it dies."

I told you dude :lol

Welcome to hell :(

Choabac

voltron said:
Yo Choa!

So whats the deal with refurbished consoles and the EB ESA now? Were they recalled too? Is EB still offering the ESA?

Hey man!

From memory, all 360 sku's were recalled, even the pre-owned ones. EB is no longer offering the ESA to new 360 owners, but they will still honour existing ESA's.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
I told you dude :lol

Welcome to hell :(

How many days did it take from calling for the coffin and getting a 360 back? (besides the extra part of you getting a broken one and having to go through the whole deal again)

Top Bottom