• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game sitting in your backlog. Play for an hour. Come back & post impressions.

Parapraxis

I want to tackle Dead Space 2 & 3 but my copy of 2 is lost (maybe was stolen along with other games). :(

Maybe Ass creed 3 or FEAR 3 later today

weekev

Banned
Ok I have 2 games I will try this, one is The Order which I have onlyhad for a week, the other is splinter cell blacklist which I have had for a year and still not put into my WiiU yet despite really wanting it, I havent played it so far because time and kids and more appealing games.

Update

Only ended up playing the order cos I got addicted to rocket league so no time for splinter cell. The Order looks fantastic, its a beautiful beautiful game, the lighting, the character builds, the environments and attention to detail are fantastic.

The amazing artists have been let down by basically everyone else involved in the project. I have only played for an hour but so far the storyline is terrible, the voice acting is awful, the gameplay feels like an early 90s arcade cover shooter with added in qte. Will give it another go tomorrow but i have actual good games waiting to be played eg Splatoon post update.

Going to bed in a few, but will do this with Shadow Hearts: Covenant when I wake up.

I want to tackle Dead Space 2 & 3 but my copy of 2 is lost (maybe was stolen along with other games). :(
That sucks man, Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite third person shooters ever, hope you find or get the chance to try it some time.

Parapraxis

That sucks man, Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite third person shooters ever, hope you find or get the chance to try it some time.

Oh yea, playing this game has been a challenge.
It was the game that was in my old PS3 when it died (had to take the console apart to get the disc). The game save was lost with the console, so I had started a new game for I believe the 3rd time when seems to have disappeared for good lol.

Franconstein

Neo Member
I know I'm LTTP, but I was going to play "one hour" of both Burial At Sea DLCs for BioShock Infinite. I finished them both.

My impressions are... "holy shit!" Like, I got mind-raped since the opening scene of the first episode, right until the ending of the second.

They changed it a lot. Scavenging felt more real, and everything that happens is just... perfect. It ties in all the games in the series, explains a lot of stuff people had been wondering about after completing the game, and it's just overall excellent. I really felt like they did a great service to the fans, and they actually IMPROVE on the game. First time in years that I feel like a DLC is actually an expansion, like in the good old days.

BioShock_Burial_at_Sea.jpg

Pejo

Did this last night with both Dying Light and Shadow of Mordor

Dying Light - After I got the Dualshock 4 issue resolved, this game was like a more vertical Dead Island. I loved Dead Island, so I'm sure this will take up a bunch of my time eventually. Combat feels much more difficult, but that's probably only because I have only 1 point in the combat tree so far. Graphics are insanely good (playing on PC). I need to get the GF a copy so we can play together though, we had a blast playing through Dead Island co-op.

Shadows of Mordor - Really liked the intro sequence, thought it was really well done to introduce the concept and character. I didn't do any of the mission objectives yet, I've just been running around exploring my options with stealth, combat, gathering, etc. Love the bow and arrow. The combat is extremely similar to the Batman games, but it kinda fits. I don't really like having to do those execution moves all the time when they're on the ground, but I see there's an option for an in-combat finisher. I think that will make the combat more fun.

Resonance of Fate

I only was able to do the tutorial. There seems to be quite a lot the battle system. To be perfectly honest, I am not really in the mood for these kinds of games at the moment. I am still trying to wrap my head around Dark Souls.

That said, I am really liking the art direction here. I really want to tackle this game in future when I have time.

This is funny cause I did this last night

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Fucking incredible. Played about 2 hours of it and it's so much crazy fun

Ok this is a pretty neat idea OP! Nice one.

So, if anyone wants to help me decide, here is my backlog and it's pretty big mainly because I was very much a casual gamer (Fifa, CoD, AC and the occasional other game) up until the launch of the PS4.

To make it easier, games in bold are ones I've started VERY briefly but haven't returned to.
You can chose whatever game you want as I'm deciding what to move onto as I just finished and platinum-ed Wolfenstein The New Order (great game btw, would definitely recommend).

PS3
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum
Dark Souls
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Sly Cooper Thieves In Time
Metro Last Light
Prototype 2
Sly Cooper HD Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy
ICO/SotC HD Collection
Jak and Daxter HD Trilogy
Prince of Persia HD Collection
Red Dead Redemption
Borderlands 2
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Dishonored
Yakuza 4

Need to purchase first
Fallout 3
Batman Arkham City
Persona 4
Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 HD Collection
Valkriya Chronicles
Okami HD
DmC HD Collection + DmC 4
Heavy Rain
God of War Saga (1, 2, 3, Ascension, Ghosts of Sparta, Chains of Olympus)

PS4
AC Unity
Every PS+ game ever apart from Rocket League, Strider, Resogun and Pixel Junk Shooter

Need to purchase first
The Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Dying Light
Far Cry 4
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

Steam
AoE II HD Edition
Contraption Maker
La-Mulana
MirrorMoon EP
One Finger Death Punch
Outlast
Pixel Piracy
Shadow Warrior + Viscera Cleanup
Space Engineers
Stronghold HD
Super Splatters
Torchlight II
Unepic

So, if anyone wants to help me decide, here is my backlog and it's pretty big mainly because I was very much a casual gamer (Fifa, CoD, AC and the occasional other game) up until the launch of the PS4.

To make it easier, games in bold are ones I've started VERY briefly but haven't returned to.
You can chose whatever game you want as I'm deciding what to move onto as I just finished and platinum-ed Wolfenstein The New Order (great game btw, would definitely recommend).

PS3

Batman Arkham Asylum

If you haven't actually played this yet, get on it. Can be argued to be the best of the series.

Didn't see this til I was at work so when I get home I will grab a sealed game from my console pile and put it in.

Franconstein

Neo Member

PS3
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Red Dead Redemption

Question: why did you only briefly play those games and haven't returned? I know you said you've been casual, but no game sucks you in once you've tasted them? Those all are very good games, especially Arkham Asylum if you want to still be a casual gamer.

I would strongly recommend the Bioshock games, but stopping and starting isn't a good way to experience them, since you need to be immersed to feel those worlds come to life.

MikeyB

So many to choose from. *'d ones are my top picks. Will decide tonight and report back. Choices informed by very limited gaming time.

PS3
-BioShock 2
-Driver: San Francisco (started and loved years ago but put aside)*
-Dirt 3
-God of War 3
-Vanquish*
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Duck Tales
-Dark Souls

PS4
-Bloodborne
-Spelunky
-SoundShapes

PSTV
-Soul Sacrifice Delta

3DS
-Shin Megami Tensei IV*

Will report back.

Awesome idea.

I fired up my 360 yesterday and started to play AC Rogue for the first time.

Basically it feels just like AC4 Pirate Simulator, which is a GOOD thing to me as I loved AC4. I feel right at home with the ship and exploring islands/settlements. I even bought the "time-saver" packs for activities and collectibles for $1/each since I'm a sucker.

The story is alright so far, I'm still in the beginning, I'm still
an assassin, not turned Templar yet
and having a great time as I knew I would. I was mainly holding off on the game as hopes it would come to current gen, but alas, I got tired of waiting and this thread motivated me.

I'll be playing more tonight to try and get a bit farther, I think I will likely try and beat this game before putting an hour into another game.

Troy

Banned
Little Big Planet PS4. I bought it digitally last year but never got around to playing it. Tried it last night. Whooo boy that's one awful game. That'll teach me to blindly buy games digitally again.

Anbec7

I really loved the idea of this thread, hope it becomes something else:

So I tried 2 games yesterday

Majora's Mask 3D (Never played the original so I bought this in hopes of correcting it)

While one of the "darkest" Zelda's I kind of see why people get hyped over it, got atmosphere and pacing while learning the mask mechanics, I still haven't got used to the rewind time thing but I will play this when I have more time.

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Bought it due to the hype of the Phantom Pain but didn't play it until today.
I see that for a prologue it tries hard to explain most of what is new, I loved the menus and the iDroid functionality. My stealth skills are a little poor but I managed to beat the first mission with a C rank.

For this one I can begin to wonder if we ever see something as crazy as this, thanks Kojima. I can't wait for the Phantom Pain now.

velociraptor

Batman Arkham Asylum.

Piece of shit won't even start. Crashes to desktop. I've given up.

FFS.

I like PC games but I also hate them. I'm having the same issue with AC Unity. Too bad I can't refund it from Steam.

rdaneel72

Just did this last night.

Started up Fantasy Life on my 3ds and played about an hour so far.

Impressions? I picked the wrong life/job. (wizard)

This game is awesome!!!

You can change lives at any time. Don't try to play the whole game as one life; mix and match, build up your gathering and crafting lives a little, the skills you learn will carry over to combat lives.

And don't just burn through the utterly forgettable story. The real game is leveling up your different lives.

I hope you stick with it.

alright it's been almost an hour on Gunpoint and I don't know if I am being an idiot because I am tired ( which is why I said I was going to take a nap) or if I'm just an idiot in general or what
Most of the time spent playing has been just trying to get the game completely full-screened without huge black borders that take up a large amount of my screen. I screwed around for awhile and go it the way I wanted it, and then when I was on my next mission it reverted back to the old way. Now I can't get it back to a proper full screen. Also why does changing the resolution restart the mission? This is a pain in the ass. Do I just need a nap or what?
The game itself seems like,it would be fun to play

gaiages

Banned
alright it's been almost an hour on Gunpoint and I don't know if I am being an idiot because I am tired ( which is why I said I was going to take a nap) or if I'm just an idiot in general or what
Most of the time spent playing has been just trying to get the game completely full-screened without huge black borders that take up a large amount of my screen. I screwed around for awhile and go it the way I wanted it, and then when I was on my next mission it reverted back to the old way. Now I can't get it back to a proper full screen. Also why does changing the resolution restart the mission? This is a pain in the ass. Do I just need a nap or what?
The game itself seems like,it would be fun to play

Honestly, when I played it I just dealt with the borders. I don't remember them being super big, though, either.

But then again I'm also a console pleb that doesn't try to mess with settings too much in the first place because I rarely know what they're asking.

Your pick gaf!

Dishonored, Prison Architect or Ground Zeroes.

Ground Zeroes, since The Phantom Pain is coming soon.

Question: why did you only briefly play those games and haven't returned? I know you said you've been casual, but no game sucks you in once you've tasted them? Those all are very good games, especially Arkham Asylum if you want to still be a casual gamer.

I would strongly recommend the Bioshock games, but stopping and starting isn't a good way to experience them, since you need to be immersed to feel those worlds come to life.

Oh lol, my post must have been a tad confusing sorry. What I meant is I used to be a casual up until 2013 (launch of the PS4). Annoyingly, as I've been more invested into gaming, I've had less time to game due to studies and important exams etc and school, so a lot of games I start, but I don't finish or progress simply due to not having enough time to do so. So I end up going to play shorter games i.e. new ones on PS4 then coming back to the PS3 games every once in a while, also because I prefer playing on the PS4 due to controller and it being a better system (obviously as it came out like 8 years later lol).

But it's not by any means because they're bad games (since they're obviously not!) or that I hate them, it's just finding the time to complete one whole game at a time, so I end up playing multiple games at a time, and spreading it out sparsely ;)

Hope that cleared it up, and thanks for the recommendation.

Transistor, got it on PS+ a while back, haven't touch since then. Plot is kind of interesting, gameplay is was okay, lots of trial and error, didn't like the fact that when you die you lose one your abilities. The Art style is great and music is haunting. I don't know after 1-2 hours Im not having a lot of fun playing it.

Well I just started Silent Hill 3 today and played for 45 mins.

Enjoying it so far and enjoying the streamlined introduction compared to the first two games.

After just completing SH1 I can say they finally hit a sweet spot with the combat. Playing as Heather is distinct as you don't do as much damage and running is usually a better option.

Can't wait to pour more time in so I can get on the salt wagon about Silent Hills.

Mazzo

Even if I don't have much time to game at all? (E.g., The game getting most of my gaming time lately has been Child of Light... I've been playing it for a month.)

You can stop on the spot as the game is saving your progress all the time. I used to play in short sessions because that way I avoided doing stupid stuff that got me killed xD

Can't decide if I should try out Xenosaga or Red Steel 2. I need something to kill time since I'm kinda burnt out on Fire Emblem after beating sacred stones and don't plan on playing Radiant Dawn for a while.

Alx

Ok, I've had Bayonetta2 sitting on a shelf for months and haven't turned on the WiiU since forever. Let's do this.

Kirye

Had Breath of Fire 2 on my Wii U VC backlog so I figured I'd finally give it a go when I saw this thread.

I like it, but is it just me or is this game REALLY grindy? I feel like the difficulty jumped from one area to the next.

matmanx1

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.

Bought it on a Steam sale who knows when. I didn't even realize I owned it until a couple of weeks ago when my friend was telling me I should play it.

I started it up last night and played for right at an hour. I can already tell I like the vibe even thought the graphics are sort of "meh" at this point, even maxed out. I like the interactions between the characters and the dialogue choices, as well as the choice of how you want to play each mission in terms of lethal vs non lethal.

The bad guys in the "tutorial" sort of acted like your standard third person cannon fodder enemies but that's the only real flaw or nit pick I have thus far.

Short term verdict: I want to play more.

Alx

Ok, I've had Bayonetta2 sitting on a shelf for months and haven't turned on the WiiU since forever. Let's do this.

I'm back. After enduring a (much too) long system update, I could play the first chapters of Bayo2. Those were fun. It feels like the character starts much more powerful than in the first episode though, there is less of the feeling of progression at the moment. The gameplay is still very tight, but the music is not as good as the old "fly me to the moon".

Hikami

Going to try this with The Last Remnant

Alright, just played it and well.. maybe it gets better later on but I'm not really feeling the game from what I played. The main character's actions/personality are annoying, animations are awkward, and the story isn't all that engaging.
Combat system was pretty interesting but that's about it. JYB voices the MC which I also liked but there's not enough here to want me to keep playing.

Actually did this a few days ago with Costume Quest 2.

Hadn't played the original, but I had heard good things. Played it for about a hour and a half and it seems pretty fun. I like exploring the world, and the humor is well done. Just wish it wasn't all text based, but I guess it's probably due to budget restrictions.

leroidys

Played Panzer Dragoon Saga for 3.5 hours. Great game so far, but it has more cutscenes than I was expecting given how minimalist the storytelling is in the other games. The battle system is fun but so far enemy variety isn't great. The few encounters that I've had with multiple enemy types at the same time have hinted at much more interesting fights to come, however.

The CG and graphics are extremely dated, but other than the draw distance which is about 4 feet, hold up well artistically. Excited to play more.

EDIT: Oh and the soundtrack is really good.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
5157_thumb.jpg

Another VR Missions update cause why not? After a couple more hours play I'm up over 60% complete but am totally stuck on Advanced Mode Nikita missions. The practice ones at that! I just don't got the control skill ta do these, n/m the time attack versions so I'm skipping 'em for now.

What's the "beat" condition for this game? Getting 100%? Unlocking all the modes? Clearing all the practice missions (think of it like beating a game on easy difficulty)?

inm8num2

Finished Tengami in an hour - that was a really good 'casual' puzzle game. I loved how relaxing the isolation of each setting was. Puzzles were pretty good, albeit easy. The page-turning or paper-folding mechanic was a clever way to interact with the environments.

woopWOOP

Alright, tried Magical Starsign for the Nintendo DS for a little over an hour last night. It being a RPG means I can't have opinions about the general story or grindiness of it all, but first impressions:
  • The game has pretty neat magic system, where the partymembers' elemental magic is powered by some magic planet in space. If this planet is aligned a certain way it gives that magic user a boost during battle. This alignment seems to change constantly and can even be checked on during battle. The main character either has light or dark magic (you can choose which at the beginning) that gets strong during the day or night. As such, there's also a day/night system in place which is pretty neat.
  • Dialogue is pretty entertaining. It's similar to Paper Mario or Earthbound in that sense. For instance, the mole people have a library and checking every square gives you a goofy story or dance instructions or whatnot.
  • The sprites, character art and background art are really nice! It's giving me major Seiken Densetsu 3 vibes. Tho tiny, the character sprites have nice little animations and I appreciate the facial expressions with the textboxes.
  • The game has CGI videos similar to Kirby Super Star Ultra. Similar as in that it looks pretty barebones and awkward. Still, it really reminds me of early PSX-era graphics so it all feels charming to me.
  • Controls are a little odd. Like oldschool RPGs, talking is done via the L or R button. Movement is done via either the D-pad or XYBA-buttons. This allows both lefties and righties to play with one hand tho, which is kind of awesome. However, all of the selections in the menu, during battle and also selecting yes or no in a textbox is done through touchscreen only, which is a little awkward and kind of makes the whole "play with one hand" setup useless. I'd like to be able to select my menu and whatnot with button presses is all I'm saying.
  • Again, backgrounds and character sprites look nice, but your character feels like it's just sliding/floating through the world, again kind of similar to oldschool RPGs. It's kind of bugging me.
  • If you walk into a wall the game automatically has you walk to the right side and continue on without having to press the correct directional buttons. For example, you walk North and there's a pillar in the way, the character automatically moves East or West to avoid the pillar when you try to continue to walk North when up against it. This is handy with the fancy backgroundart not clearly being made out of blocks so there won't a lot frustrating moments where it isn't clear where you can walk or not. On the other hand, signs placed in the open field still have to be correctly faced to read. Because of the aforementioned movement system, moving from the left or right and trying to move up to look at the sign makes your character walk away from the sign instead (can't go North, goes East or West instead). Pretty annoying :V
  • The enemy sprites during battle are also nicely designed, with rather detailed attack animations. The magic animations look pretty cool and feel impactful, tho it takes awhile for the animation to complete and it takes a few magic attacks to kill each enemy. I hope the game doesn't get too grindy, otherwise the wait time might hurt the overall enjoyment.
  • The game just looks cute as shit, especially the partymembers.
So yeah, I had fun going through the beginning of the game. Now that I have started it, I'm probably going to have to finish it. Hopefully the game won't become frustrating to the point that I quit. The presentation's really nice atleast.

BrunoM

Subbed

Good idea with this now let's see

I got a few ps3 vita and ps4

I may just open up destiny in still wrapt lol sense I got my second ps4 just got it for that damn white lol

OK gonna jump into it will be back with how I feel about it

gaiages

Banned
Alright, I got a goodly amount of ideas from people, so the first game I tried was Hotline Miami, as three people recommended it.

I played for about 40 minutes at first, but I said "well, it has to be an hour", so I played another chapter. I am now on Chapter 6.

Overall, I like it a fair bit. I thought I wouldn't like it too much, because of the fact that dying was so easy and I thought it relied on stealth (I'm the type of person that sucks at stealth because I'm impatient), but the game wasn't quite like that. It's very much 'strike first or be killed', and while I fell into the 'be killed' part a lot of the time, the length of the 'levels' made retrying quick and relatively painless, so it was still fun even though I'd die... a lot.

My only problem is with how seemingly random some things are. Like some guys will take completely different routes each time, while others will take the same route. Or sometimes guys will not see me standing right in front of them, but other times they have eyes in the backs of their heads. It's not something I personally tick against the game itself, it just seems a little odd for a title that really relies on precision and speed to have a seemingly random element like that.

But, I'll definitely play this one to completion. It leaves a good impression for me :p

Magical Starsign is overall a pretty easy game. I believe your choice of MC's magic (or maybe it was gender?) has an "effect" on difficulty, but I don't think it's a huge spike between Light and Dark, anyway. Glad you enjoyed it :3

Shredderi

I tried OP. I tried. Installed and started up Volgarr the Viking and made it to 48 minutes. Game is fucking brutal on my ass. I do like it though but I can't take that kind of beating anymore right now.

I finally unwrapped Lost in Shadow for the Wii this morning, I had thought that game looked neat upon announcement and picked it up cheap a few years ago. I think I played maybe an hour and 15 minutes before I died the first time, and was immediately annoyed at how far back I had to go when I restarted. The mechanics so far are pretty straightforward, lots of manipulation of the environment to enable the platforming aspect. I don't like how quickly the focus on combat appears to be ramping up. I may drop the difficulty down to avoid more of that. It's very barebones and the health restore upon a kill is minimal so every hit on you hurts quite a bit. Either way I think I'll give it a whirl, according to the menu I'm already something like 16.7% done so the game doesn't seem to run past 6 or 7 hours for 100% of finding all the stuff.

Top Bottom