• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game sitting in your backlog. Play for an hour. Come back & post impressions.

Have a huge backlog because of a lack of free time and because for whatever reason, I decided to replay some older games like the 2000's Tomb Raiders and now LA Noire. I also dabbled into Hitman: Absolution but it's not holding my interest.

Game from backlog: Alien: Isolation

Probably the newest game I have in my library. Tried it for the hour and....really dug the atmosphere and graphics. I really like the retro-future look they have going and I really wish more games that had a future look tried something new (old?) like this. Sci-Fi games are starting to look same-y so it's nice to see this game take it's inspiration from the Alien movie and really run with it.

Didn't get very far as I spent most of my time just walking around and looking at everything. I'm wondering if I should ditch my replay backlog and just jump into the new games I have such as this. Granted, the only newish game I really want to play is Arkham Knight, and well, I can't even buy it at the moment, so I might just jump into Alien: Isolation.

Decided to take a stab at a GoG backlog game: Might & Magic VIII. As a huge M&M fan I actually purchased this game on release day many years ago, and yet never got around to actually playing it for more than five minutes, later selling it with much of my PC collection at the time. Picked it up on a GoG sale and figured I would finally try it.

Actually very fun! Strangely, the graphics feel more manageable... it was so extremely dated when it originally released that I couldn't get into it at all. But now it seems since I am *expecting* it to look dated as an old GoG game, I can deal with it.

The gameplay IMO holds up pretty well, classic M&M formula. I actually prefer the "blobber" style of the 1-5 (and 10) games; while the freedom works well enough, the (rare) vertical components where you need to look up and down just don't work that well. My favourite part of the 6-style games was the spellbook and magic variety, and this one doesn't disappoint, loving all of the spells and the spellbook interface.

Boy, those are some ugly graphics though ;)

Bought and played 4 hours of MMX4. Holy shit I was way better at this game when I was 15. Could not even beat Web Spider with Zero. After game over number 4 I switched to X.

Easy time kicked in as I remembered the order(Well my order anyway.) only trouble I had was sigma 2 and 3. Took around 8 lives total. (Also, did 100%)

Next, I had to finish Zero. Web Spider got crushed, split mushroom, dragoon, etc. General(just hug the left wall...) and Boss Rush time was hard for me, since I cheesed the Manta fight(he took sadly... 3 lives) instead of learning. Then I game over'd once on sigma 1-2-3.

Been running through the game a ton since the initial 4 hours. Can now get past boss rush(with Zero) without a game over, in about an hour, 100% too! A far cry from two days ago, and I'm on my 4th run total, between x and zero.

omg_mjd

A few hours into Shadowrun Returns. The story still isn't grabbing me and the game is pretty much a linear SRPG. I was hoping for an adventure game or a more open RPG like the SNES game (which I played non-stop to completion when I was a kid).

Great art though, and sound design. I already bought Dragonfall (before playing this) which is supposedly much better, so I'm looking forward to that.

Tenebrous

A few hours into Shadowrun Returns. The story still isn't grabbing me and the game is pretty much a linear SRPG. I was hoping for an adventure game or a more open RPG like the SNES game (which I played non-stop to completion when I was a kid).

Great art though, and sound design. I already bought Dragonfall (before playing this) which is supposedly much better, so I'm looking forward to that.

Dragonfall is much better in pretty much every way.

ghibli99

Fallout 3. Got it working in Win10 (it actually recommended I install the GFWL thing without me having to look around for it, which was neat)... this is my first time playing it. What an intro, and what a cast!

Onamonapenia

Neo Member
I've been putting off playing SMT: Nocturne for a few months now, mostly because I got it like halfway through this summer and wasn't sure if I'd have time to play once school starts but I guess there's no reason not to start now.

EDIT: I put about an hour into it, right before the first boss, and I'm really digging it so far. The concept of recruiting the enemy onto your side is a cool concept that I don't think I've seen before. It's weird playing this game right after play Persona 3 and 4, seeing all of the Personas again in this game with a different context. The soundtrack is also great, I especially dig the battle theme. It also had a trailer for Digital Devil Saga on the disc too, though it was really hitch-y, and I was afraid it was going to freeze and crash on me. I'll probably see if I can finish this in the 3 weeks I have before classes start up again.

WarpathDC

Perfect Dark Zero. 10 year old backlog lol. Played it for an hour the other day via rare replay. Still sucks camel c*ck.

It holds up well graphically for a 360 launch game though

gaiages

Banned
I played the Steam version of Half Minute Hero today.

It was a ton of fun! My first "hour" went into about 80 or so minutes, at which point I only stopped playing because I had to make some dinner. After than, I went back to it! I've played for about 3 hours and I'm near the end of Hero 30. :) I've yet to take any of the branching paths yet, though. I'll probably go back to that once I've finished the mode. Or maybe I'll try another one of the modes. I'm surprised that it has sucked me in so much; I wasn't expecting a bad game, but not one that was this good, either. :p

chemicals

Ok I used the wheel and added 12 games.. It picked Bad Company 2..

Just finished my hour of the campaign. Wow i really like this game! I will definitely keep playing. First Battlefield game for me.

Vyse24

About to play Majora's Mask for the first time. Impressions in an hour or so.

Well the controls on the classic controller are something I'll have to get used to, but so far so good. Think I'm gonna enjoy playing this one.

maxcriden

About to play Majora's Mask for the first time. Impressions in an hour or so.

Well the controls on the classic controller are something I'll have to get used to, but so far so good. Think I'm gonna enjoy playing this one.

How are you enjoying the game? I would have recommended the 3DS version instead, but hopefully you can enjoy the N64 VC iteration well enough. :)

think I'm going to play Touch My Katamari

Never played a game in the series before, got this cheap physical a while ago and I have an insane vita backlog and this is apparently quite short so looks like a good place to start.

I know it has kinda iffy reviews but mst of them seem to be saying it's a bit samey compared to other games in the series but that's not a problem for me so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it :D

HF2014

So, got the Evil Within. Read on this forum that somes compare it to silent hill, so hell, why not lets try it.

My impression

1 - Gory beginning, expected to be scared, but it aint the case. Pretty linear beginning.
2 - The gameplay. Close to be horrible. Find some kind of potions to boost yourself. Find torches to burn bodies ( yop it was in the plan at the beginning anyway of the detective, he knew that need to be done....) . Teleport yourself in a mirror to go back. Yop, im really into it...
3 - the good thing is that i was able to resell it tonight for 25$. I took my money and run, scared to be catch by the one who wanted to buy it from me eh. Its a shame this game was made by the Resident Evil mind, seriously.

So iv done it, next one, going to give a third try of more than one hour to Killzone Shadowfall.

Top Bottom