• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog, Lose the Speedrunning

I just think when they go to such pains to create an atmosphere and cultivate character it's a bummer to forego all that for an achievement. You should get trophies for taking 50 hours in a playthrough, taking pictures and shit.
What...? Now I know this is all a lark. At least I hope it is.

I just think when they go to such pains to create an atmosphere and cultivate character it's a bummer to forego all that for an achievement. You should get trophies for taking 50 hours in a playthrough, taking pictures and shit.

That could be said for all chievos. Quit worrying about how others play a game and just play your game. Leave everyone else alone.

"I think you should watch movies with popcorn and drink in a dark room, any other way to watch movies is wrong and is not what the director wanted."

I was going to agree, but then I see this.

Leave speedrunning emphasis to the sequel to The Order and duller, less-inspaired software. You're better than this.

So it's about speedrunning only in games you don't want them in, not about the actual thing I feel.

Sounds like you are complaining more so about the fact that tthere's a trophy tied to it than the act that it's a thing...

Honestly doesn't bother me at all... I just don't care about speed runs, so I ignore them and I don't care about unlocking every trophy. That being said, I can't think of a single person I know who has speed run a game that they never played before...

Which basically goes against your argument that people are never experiencing the well designed and scripted story beats of the game.

Son Of D

And if that trophy was a thing people would just find a safe area and leave their game on overnight instead of playing the exact way you want them to play.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Beyond the fact that this is optional op so this is silly but I don't think these games were even built with speed running in mond, in fact they're absolutely horrible for it. So I don't get it actually

MTC100

Banned
They need to include trophies like that, which encourage multiple play throughs to try and lower people selling their games back too early.

That's the sad truth and the only reason why trophies(or better Achievements as MS "invented" the system) even exist.

solidraul

Neo Member

Forcing to play 50 hours in a 10 hours game is worst than speedrunnig

I, too, sneer at such plebian fare while I pretend to be Indiana Jones and shotgun people.

Gave me a big laugh that, A+.

Also, the whole thing with a lot of speed running is that it's subverting games anyway - playing them in an (almost always) unintended way. So it's not like Naughty Dog are going to tailor their game content towards that outside of trophies in the same way that speed runners aren't going to flock to Uncharted simply for trophies. It's like getting annoyed about cut scenes being skippable. If you don't want to skip them, don't skip them. If you don't want to get a speed run trophy, don't speed run it...or do it on your like second or third play through or whatever, as is clearly intended.

I agree that speedrunning seems to contradict everything that's fun and cool about the Uncharted series specifically. But it's one of those things where if it's fun for somebody else, more power to 'em.

thefil

Everything said by others about how this is an absurd concern is absolutely true.

I will add that for the vast majority of people, their life will be in no way changed by whether they do or do not experience an Uncharted game in your canonical way. It's not exactly the most reflection-prompting narrative.

Jolkien

Not like the target time for the Uncharted 4 speed run trophy was hard to begin with, just do a second play through put it on the easiest setting, and mostly run and hip fire your way through the game.

It's exactly this. It feels like such a waste. Uncharted is certainly more conducive to speedrunning than a stealth TPS like TLoU, but I don't want it anywhere near their design docs.

And while I understand it stops people from trading in their games or whatever, a speedrun isn't that big a barrier to trade-ins, just 6 hours or so (I mean, yes, per attempt). And after finishing a speed run I personally would be more likely to ditch software, having bastardized a traditional playthrough.

What a rigid intolerant way of thinking. People can play how they want. If the games have the mechanical depth to make a run interesting then they're better games for it imo.

Unless you think ND is compromising their games to accommodate speedrunning. Is that what you're contending? Based on what?

This is what ND stans actually believe

It's laughable.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's not like it's ever been possible to plat any of those games in a single play through anyway, so what's the issue in having a trophy for something that actually requires you to challenge yourself on a separate play through?

whoszed

I'd say that ND already went wrong with trophies with the first TLoU because you had to finish the game at least 3 times in order to get the Platinum. 1 time on Hard and 1 time on Crushing should be enough like it was in Uncharted 1-3.

Trophies for collecting doodads are worse. These games were not meant to be exploration heavy, their levels were not designed with that in mind. For that reason unless you're using a guide, "looking for treasure" amounts to you making Drake awkwardly hug walls, shimmy along invisible walls, and try to make dumb jumps he can't do because there might be a treasure up a ledge (and there isn't but you don't know that yet).

That's a far worse culprit for damaging the storytelling aspect. The game and story beats grind to a complete halt every time you enter a new area because you're hunting for Cleopatra's golden tampon or some shit.

OP I'm one of those that get really irked when a '100%' next to a game (not just a plat) is behind the barrier of a ton of MP trophies, absurd DLC (hello, Fallout 4), or a speedrun trophy. I guess just decide how much you care about it and if speedrunning isn't your thing, there are plenty of video guides for UC4 in particular to help you achieve it with ease.

Additionally, there is (or was) a very easy save game exploit to allow you to get the speedrun trophy without going through the whole game a second time . You've got options.

The amount of threads we get lamenting optional content is ridiculous.

Haha also this

Hybris

I love how people who care about trophies always want the easy road to platinum and don't want to be inconvenienced by the ones they don't like. Completely missing the point of trophies should be an accomplishment. Take a step back and ask yourself why you are even collecting them in the first place...

Linkark07

Banned
It is optional. People do what they want; some prefer to ignore trophies just for focus on the narrative, others do trophies because of the platinum, others just speedrun for beat their own record. You want your platinum trophy? Sorry for you, but you gotta do that speedrun That said, nobody is forcing you to get that platinum trophy.

If you said they shouldn't have speedruns in something like Uncharted 4 because it's chock-full of lengthy segments that wouldn't be fun to speedrun (highly scripted/restrictive stuff, etc.), I'd have agreed with the OP.

But this "ND are above this kind of thing" is bs

Boss Mog

If you care so much about that trophy you can easily get in like 5 minutes since there's a glitch in the game disc code. They patched the glitch though, so you'll have to delete the game and reinstall it and play offline without downloading the update to do it. But basically once you've beaten the game you can start a new game save as soon as possible exit out go to the level select and pick the epilogue, load it up finish it and you'll get the speedrun trophy and the hardest difficulty one as well if you want.

Eh, you are making a pretty baseless assumption by stating they have changed the design of their games to accommodate speed running, especially in such a manner that it would impact the story pacing. Naughty Dog is well aware that much of the love and acclaim for their games comes from the storytelling, they aren't going to let a speed running trophy impact that. You are confusing their design priorities.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ND creates the most atmospheric, well-written, well-acted software available. To encourage players to skip through emptionally-charged scenes and context-sensitive environments robs a player of that immersion and world building, and lessens a title's impact every playthrough thereafter having already experienced content with nothing but a time trial on their mind.

Or this could be something for people to do after they've played the game already and already know the story.

MUnited83

For you.
Trophies for collecting doodads are worse. These games were not meant to be exploration heavy, their levels were not designed with that in mind. For that reason unless you're using a guide, "looking for treasure" amounts to you making Drake awkwardly hug walls, shimmy along invisible walls, and try to make dumb jumps he can't do because there might be a treasure up a ledge (and there isn't but you don't know that yet).

That's a far worse culprit for damaging the storytelling aspect. The game and story beats grind to a complete halt every time you enter a new area because you're hunting for Cleopatra's golden tampon or some shit.
tell me about it. Also annoying is when you can indentify two paths available and you don't know which one is progression and which one leads to treasure. And then if you go to the progression part you will get locked into a cutscene that will put you somewhere else and not able to go back to get the treasure. It is quite annoying.

tootie923

You can literally cheese the speed run lol. Un patch the game, beat first chapter, save and quit. Reload the final chapter and it will unlock.

That being said, it's only a trophy.

That's what I did (thanks, playstationtrophies.org!). I did a speedrun for The Evil Within and it was just unnecessarily stressful. ND games are not good fits for speedruns.

I'm not against these trophies, I just don't get them even if I replay the game several times (which I do), I always play the same way.

We all consider Naughty Dog games as movies translated to the gaming medium, they're probably the best at this so, consider this:

Imagine having to watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to get a message "congratulations, you did it" only that to get that message you have to fast forward the three movies in 1.5x speed rate and watch it. Fun, isn't it? That's how I feel about these speedruns in Naughty Dog games, or cinematic games in general.

I wouldn't do it in Horizon, Batman, Last Guardian, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, I don't know... most (probably all) single player adventure games.

You act as if there's a large number of people speedrunning the game on their first playthrough and even if there is people doing so, why does it bother you? I don't understand your point at all.

Linkyn

When it comes to trophies of any kind, the best thing you can do is just ignore them on your first run. Just play through and enjoy the game first. Trophy hunting comes afterwards.

Murkas

OP I'm gonna speedrun the shit out of TLOU2 on my first playthrough just to piss you off.

What an odd thing to be annoyed about.

I don't believe Naughty Dog is the type of developer that would let something like that effect a central design. Aside from having some of the most dedicated creatives heading the games with little resource constraint, the narrative driven approach to the central gameplay they've adopted and kept since the first Uncharted basically demands that designing around 'speedrunning' is only going to conflict with what they're trying to achieve. If anything, there's only a need to be worried about the opposite. Their games are some of my favorites of all time, but they have become more and more constrictive for player agency in terms of what is allowed at what time, what options you have during specific sequences which are essentially 'walking scenes', or close enough. I'd like TLOU2 to address more freedom in every possible scenario, so that we don't have to play hide and seek in a boss battle, or snipe to protect the exact same route of the people we're protecting each time we play, etc. Considering how varied the game could be on playthroughs and their original intentions regarding each battle being a real, dynamic test of tactics and skill, I have no doubt the sequel will do so much more in this regard. If it is even close to an evolution from UC1 to UC2 in terms of gameplay quality, it may be the best damn game of all time, story be damned.

Anyway, tangential rant over. You have nothing to worry about. A speed running trophy is just a fun thing to add in for people who have played the game and want to challenge themselves in a certain way.

Top Bottom