• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"NBC has killed the Bill Cosby pilot amid the mounting accusations of rape..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, there will never be irrefutable evidence of innocence when it's 15+ accusers alleging attacks that occurred across multiple decades, which is why I am completely okay with saying that Cosby is a rapist.

As am I, but I understand where the apparent defenders are coming from.

Relevant to that interview info, apparently Cosby is usually that intimidating off camera.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/...ays-given-me-the-creeps/#.VG2BFpsyJDY.twitter

Rapist or not, dudes still super scary. That's enough to ruin my perception of him right there. I'd hate to see what was mailed to the interviewer in the YouTube video.

That's pretty unsettling. He's a huge control freak by the sound of things.

There are just too many accusations out there, for so many years, from so many women, for there to be no issues. Its just too classic a presentation. Man in power, with nasty habits, uses his power to protect himself and allow himself to continue to indulge his vices. While casting himself as a protector or a teacher. It's sadly typical.

Cheebo

Banned
In hindsight Paterno was guilty.

As of now, we don't know if Cosby actually committed a crime.

Public opinion is stronger than its ever been...I just hope it doesn't ruin an innocent person's life is all.

You do realize these came out over a decade ago? There is nothing new to research/look into. And Cosby was taken to court on the charges, you know that right? And when he found out 12 additional women were going to testify against him settled at the very last second to the case dropped. He settled because his own lawyer said he was going to lose the case and he better settle now or else these 12 new women would have their stories out in the public. Due to this these 12 additional women never had their story nor names released due to Cosby settling out of court at the last minute. Those events listed are facts and have been widely reported.

Does that sound like someone who is innocent? It almost sounds to me like you never knew that this already was in court and Cosby settled at the last second to avoid a certain guilty verdict. That this is somehow "new news" against him.

andthebeatgoeson

You do realize these came out over a decade ago? There is nothing new to research/look into. And Cosby was taken to court on the charges, you know that right? And when he found out 12 additional women were going to testify against him settled at the very last second to the case dropped. He settled because his own lawyer said he was going to lose the case and he better settle now or else these 12 new women would have their stories out in the public. Due to this these 12 additional women never had their story nor names released due to Cosby settling out of court at the last minute. Those events listed are facts and have been widely reported.

Does that sound like someone who is innocent? It almost sounds to me like you never knew that this already was in court and Cosby settled at the last second to avoid a certain guilty verdict. That this is somehow "new news" against him.
Well, one accuser said she knows of multiple, anonymous accusers, so there might be more to research. How would we feel if 10 more people accused him of rape?

I'm glad that ap video came out. Although I should expect Bill Cosby to be a master at PR.

That's pretty unsettling. He's a huge control freak by the sound of things.

I'd imagine Lisa Bonet could put the final nail in his coffin but won't. He displayed the same fatherly facade towards her and dropped it the minute she started to rebel a bit. There has to be more to the tension between them.

Kill3r7

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are a plethora of reasons (costs, time, uncertain outcome, cross examination, bad press, outside forces) why two parties settle out of court. Feel free to speculate all you want but a settlement =/= guilty.

PS I think Cosby did it but please understand that the vast majority of civil lawsuits are settled out of court.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You do realize these came out over a decade ago? There is nothing new to research/look into.
There is still a lot of information that could come out. There will be details, locations, dates etc that can be checked and confirmed or denied. The drugs used had to come from somewhere - prescription or not - it is likely that someone could confirm that they exist without breaking confidentiality. There will be more details coming out, this is a big story now and people will be digging like crazy.

Diablos

It's just sad. I grew up watching Bill Cosby and it sucks coming to terms with who someone really is. He was such a great entertainer.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
eddie-murphy-laughing-o.gif

"Tell Bill to kiss MY ass"
richard1.jpg

Are there any interviews, comments from the other acters/actresses of the (original) Cosy Show about this topic/the accusations?

Lum1n3s

Since the 1980s yeah
Lol his new career is over that's for sure what with the cancelling of his new shows and what not.

I wonder how Ben's Chili Bowl in DC is dealing with this especially since they proudly display that he always eats there and is practically their sponsor.

Nairume

Banned
I'd imagine Lisa Bonet could put the final nail in his coffin but won't. He displayed the same fatherly facade towards her and dropped it the minute she started to rebel a bit. There has to be more to the tension between them.
And then when it comes out, her husband can go berserk and give Cosby a crown of gold.

Haha damn they canceled his show, dude is getting raped left and right. He should have just stayed in the closet or whatever he's been doing for the past 20 years

SonnyBoy

Question:

When Cosby settled out of court, did the accusers have to agree to this? Or is that something his lawyer could force upon them? Do all of the accusers have to agree to settle out of court?

I'm just trying to understand that process. And why they'd opt to settle, than to prosecute someone who did these things and put him in jail. Especially after the process has already begun.

ampere

I still can't believe Cosby did all this. I hope the women he hurt are OK.

Hannibal once again proving that social progress can be made through comedy. Hannibal is a funny guy, I hope he does well.

Neoweee

Question:

When Cosby settled out of court, did the accusers have to agree to this? Or is that something his lawyer could force upon them? Do all of the accusers have to agree to settle out of court?

I'm just trying to understand that process. And why they'd opt to settle, than to prosecute someone who did these things and put him in jail. Especially after the process has already begun.

I thought they were Civil cases, not criminal charges?

The accuser has to agree it to, as it is them signing a contract stating "I will drop the case and never discuss the case in public".

Why either set settles, or remains silent, is complicated, and there are plenty of valid reasons on either side to go for a settlement rather than a drawn out court case.

Someone made a point earlier about how Cosbys' career is now being destroyed by a comedian who he likely influenced and paved the way for.

I find shit like that so fascinating.

Interesting take, though I think this is pretty much par for the course in all human endeavors to some extent. There's a reason the earliest cultures were riddled with hero's journeys that involved the hero having to kill his father.

What an asshole.

And the reporter comes off spineless.

It's also strange how he keeps saying "we" as if he's hiding behind his wife or management as a "team" rather than taking these things on himself.

It's not the job of a real reporter to stand back up to him there. He handled it really well. Didn't promise anything and just sat there and collected damning footage. He let Cosby write the story. At that point you take it back to the studio, talk to your legal team, and then do what they did here.

What do you think he should have done?

Kill3r7

Question:

The settlement is for a civil suit. Both parties have to agree of their own volition, free of any duress and coercion and with full knowledge of each and every provision contained in the agreement and the consequences thereof. There is also a no admission of guilty provision and typically a suppression order (gag order). The whole purpose of a civil lawsuit is to get just compensation.

As far as I know there hasn't been a criminal case filed against Cosby regarding these accusations.

Dyno

Why either set settles, or remains silent, is complicated, and there are plenty of valid reasons on either side to go for a settlement rather than a drawn out court case.

This is how legal proceedings - as dense and arcane as they are - can complicate our perceptions of even the simplist of human motivations. Unless you're in the industry you don't really understand the law and our ignorance extends to the true goal of others, something we really should have no trouble understanding in another circumstance.

There is some truth to what you're saying but the bigger truth is this: the rich can pay to get away with it and they do so. Bill bought his silence and freedom. Even if you feel there were other motivations, silence and freedom were the biggest by-products of the out of court settlement. Simple logic tells us that the biggest effect was the chief motivation. Hoary legal proceedings do their best to obscure that.

Kill3r7

This is how legal proceedings - as dense and arcane as they are - can complicate our perceptions of even the simplist of human motivations. Unless you're in the industry you don't really understand the law and our ignorance extends to the true goal of others, something we really should have no trouble understanding in another circumstance.

There is some truth to what you're saying but the bigger truth is this: the rich can pay to get away with it and they do so. Bill bought his silence and freedom. Even if you feel there were other motivations, silence and freedom were the biggest by-products of the out of court settlement. Simple logic tells us that the biggest effect was the chief motivation. Hoary legal proceedings do their best to obscure that.

Silence sure but he didn't buy his freedom as this was a civil case and as thus his freedom was never in jeopardy.

SonnyBoy

The settlement is for a civil suit. Both parties have to agree of their own volition, free of any duress and coercion and with full knowledge of each and every provision contained in the agreement and the consequences thereof. There is also a no admission of guilty provision and typically a suppression order (gag order). The whole purpose of a civil lawsuit is to get just compensation.

As far as I know there hasn't been a criminal case filed against Cosby regarding these charges.

Understood. Thank you for the explanation.

Dyno

Silence sure but he didn't buy his freedom as this was a civil case and as thus his freedom was never in jeopardy.

This is true but I think a successful court case of any kind would have begun a feeding frenzy, criminal and civil.

guggnichso

Banned
Yes, as far as serving jail time goes, he needs to be tried. But as people have explained, as far as public opinion goes, there are no laws, and people will feel however they feel.

Which is acutally a very bad thing. Also all this "where there's smoke, there is fire" talk. I'd really like for people who say that to take a step back and look at what it acutally MEANS they just said and what implication this line of thinking has on a larger scale.

Kill3r7

This is true but I think a successful court case of any kind would have begun a feeding frenzy, criminal and civil.

You hit the nail on the head, that a favorable decision for the plaintiff would have have begun a feeding frenzy by the media and other potential accusers which in turn would have sullied his reputation and cost him millions upon millions of dollars. This is precisely the reason why the vast majority of civil cases settle. There are too many variables and even a positive outcome can be significantly damaging.

That said, from everything I've read so far the SoL had run out a long time ago on these cases.

Which is acutally a very bad thing. Also all this "where there's smoke, there is fire" talk. I'd really like for people who say that to take a step back and look at what it acutally MEANS they just said and what implication this line of thinking has on a larger scale.

There's a point where you just can't ignore the evidence out there. You're going to form some sort of opinion. That point may vary from person to person, but expecting people to be these amorphous blobs of non-opinion until "all the facts are in" is unrealistic. Public opinion is not held to the same standard as legal guilt. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for bad.

Kill3r7

There's a point where you just can't ignore the evidence out there. You're going to form some sort of opinion. That point may vary from person to person, but expecting people to be these amorphous blobs of non-opinion until "all the facts are in" is unrealistic. Public opinion is not held to the same standard as legal guilt. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for bad.

Sorry but all the info out there is not evidence but overall the gist of what you are saying is corret. The public is free to think as they want. It still doesn't change the fact that we are a very judgmental society and tend to display a mob mentality.

Why don't you tell us?

Sorry but all the info out there is not evidence but overall the gist of what you are saying is corret. The public is free to think as they want. It still doesn't change the fact that we are a very judgmental society and tend to display a mob mentality.
The mob mentality is what allowed him to get away with this for decades.

riotous

Banned
For me: I just hope that anyone involved who was hurt at some point heals. Who cares if I think Bill Cosby is a rapist or not?

And I hope either way this story might be a reminder to powerful men to be more wise with that power (and women, although less of a history of that, not trying to be sexist.) I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying the exposure that fame gives and how it attracts sexual attention.. but.. be kind dammit.

Wake up...

Crawl out of bed...

Load up GAF...

This is literally the first post I read...

I'm going to go crawl back into bed.

Woke up

fell out of bed

dragged a comb across my head

found my way downstairs and drank a cup

and looking up I noticed I was late.

I applaud Hannibal for being the lone X-Wing to finally step up to the plate and take down the filthy, disgusting, decrepit Death Star that is Bill Cosby. As soon as I heard his routine I pumped my fist and said FINALLY and was reminded of this post I made in one of the Saville scandal threads two years ago:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=43969547

Agent Unknown said:
So, basically this guy was like a British version of Bill Cosby.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=43969745

Agent Unknown said:
^^^^^

It's REAL, just google "Bill Cosby rape." Bill Cosby has allegedly drugged and molested many young women. Just that like Savile and the BBC, the American MSM has been covering for Cosby for decades because he's "America's favorite dad."

Edit: One example of many articles on this, Cosby's dark stuff started coming out in the early 2000s, but he successfully paid off all his victims:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20059561,00.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom