• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC's Community Official Thread - the next Arrested Development/Office/30 Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of my favorites of all time. I only like Senor Chang half of the time but he was on fire tonight. Star Wars line was my favorite. :lol

I think I'm off from a lot of you though as I didn't find last weeks that funny.

Brera

Banned
Mine!

7605w.gif

As soon as I gets mah avatar back that is!

Medalion

Banned
My bad, I always thought of the actor who played Senor Chang as a recurring main character, but not really part of the core group of Greendale gang. Yer right, he is main cast, but he doesn't get enough time on screen.

Señor Chang's deal is the same sort of problem I have with Michael and Dwight from the Office. For some reason people think that absurd, loud, and obnoxious "comedy" is just gut-bustingly hilarious, but it's mostly terrible. I find some of his offhand comments to be really funny (his Star Wars comment was great), but he's easily my least favorite character next to Shirley.

I much much prefer Jeff's smug one-liners and Troy's dumb school-like humor to this new trend of obnoxious humor that is present in these new comedies.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
DeathbyVolcano said:
Señor Chang's deal is the same sort of problem I have with Michael and Dwight from the Office. For some reason people think that absurd, loud, and obnoxious "comedy" is just gut-bustingly hilarious, but it's mostly terrible. I find some of his offhand comments to be really funny (his Star Wars comment was great), but he's easily my least favorite character next to Shirley.

I much much prefer Jeff's smug one-liners and Troy's dumb school-like humor to this new trend of obnoxious humor that is present in these new comedies.

I don't think Chang would be as tolerable if he was given larger doses of dialogue to play with.

big ander

OneEightZero said:
I don't think Chang would be as tolerable if he was given larger doses of dialogue to play with.
OT: was there a tag-fishing thread or something? I feel like I'm seeing a lot of new tags around.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Señor Chang's deal is the same sort of problem I have with Michael and Dwight from the Office. For some reason people think that absurd, loud, and obnoxious "comedy" is just gut-bustingly hilarious, but it's mostly terrible.

i think you just summed up community as a whole right there.. just look at all the annoyingly stupid avatars it spawns

No, definitely not, as Community is not at all reliant on that type of humor unless you're one of those Chang fans, which I'm not. It's a self-aware, smartly written show. It and Modern Family are some of the best comedies of the last couple of years.

DeathbyVolcano said:
No, definitely not, as Community is not at all reliant on that type of humor unless you're one of those Chang fans, which I'm not. It's a self-aware, smartly written show. It and Modern Family are some of the best comedies of the last couple of years.

it thinks its way more clever than it really is.

Well I tried giving this show a chance and I definitely can not get into it. I also don't understand how it can get such a rabid fanbase. Nowhere near the quality of 30 Rock (currently as well) let alone near the brilliance of AD.

But eh. Haters gonna hate I suppose.

Weenerz

Banned
brianjones said:
i think you just summed up community as a whole right there.. just look at all the annoyingly stupid avatars it spawns

And yet, you just love hanging out here every week. Don't like the show? Don't come into the topic and try to shit all over it.

rallaren

You don't laugh at Señor Chang.. you laugh with him. :D

I think the show was best in the beginning anyways and I felt the writing took a dive after the first couple of episodes. I miss the psychologist! :lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
brianjones said:

The show is fantastic. If you don't like it, your opinion is duly noted and rejected. Thanks for participating, it is a forum after all and all opinions should be heard. We've heard yours, now I don't expect to see you in this thread again.

dietertong said:
I think he's talking about Professor Duncan?
Yeah, what ever happened to Duncan? Did he just not test well and was nixed from the show? Personally, I thought he was really annoying in the first episode and am glad he was taken out.

Costanza

Banned
Hmm, next week is that Pottery ep. Doesn't sound too great.

Beginner Pottery
Jeff unexpectedly takes interest in his new pottery class when another student shows natural talent. Meanwhile, Pierce brings Britta, Shirley and Troy along for a ride at his boating class.

I'm pretty sure this one was switched WAY out of order since it was supposed to air weeks ago but they replaced it with Romantic Expressionism.

snesfreak

Banned
brianjones said:
So why are you here? Don't like the show? Then stop posting in this thread, you're as bad as the idiots that shit up the NBA Jam thread with all the port begging...

big ander

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, what ever happened to Duncan? Did he just not test well and was nixed from the show? Personally, I thought he was really annoying in the first episode and am glad he was taken out.
He's returning later this season. Probably the finale.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Watching the latest ep now

holyy shit @ pierce immediately recognizing jeff was hitting on his step daughter. :lol

"I ate my twin In Utero." :lol

Katherine McPhee looks like a course correction of Elisha Cuthbert.

This "stay" scene is crazy. :lol

Happy sideways vagina!

"You do know we're on the same team."

Windmill :lol :lol :lol

"I don't understand you, Britta! I DON'T UNDERSTAND AT ALL!!" me neither Troy...me neither...

Not too fond of Pierce's daughter being a total bitch or Britta going that far to make a point, but otherwise it was great.

Medalion

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

wtf dude, just cuz you don't get Senor Chang don't go bashing people who enjoy him

I leave this thread for an hour and it turns into a hatorade fest :lol

big ander said:
He's returning later this season. Probably the finale.
Hmm, strange. I'm guessing that he didn't test well or something or maybe his schedule got busy and he wasn't written into the episodes. It's weird that they're bringing him back and taking the show full circle.

mj1108

brianjones said:

I think it's actually too clever for you to understand.

Please go watch something that matches your level of understanding of jokes....like The Marriage Ref.

Costanza said:
Hmm, next week is that Pottery ep. Doesn't sound too great.

Beginner Pottery

I'm pretty sure this one was switched WAY out of order since it was supposed to air weeks ago but they replaced it with Romantic Expressionism.

Yup, this was supposed to air weeks ago. I'm hoping it was just swapped out for continuity's sake.

Weenerz said:
And yet, you just love hanging out here every week. Don't like the show? Don't come into the topic and try to shit all over it.

This. Why waste your time in a thread about a TV show you don't like?

Also, I was going for Team Amber but she was so... easy.

big ander

backflip10019 said:
Hmm, strange. I'm guessing that he didn't test well or something or maybe his schedule got busy and he wasn't written into the episodes. It's weird that they're bringing him back and taking the show full circle.
Yeah, I think he's just super busy. Harmon was talking about how they filmed the finale, which has Oliver in it, early, just so they could fit it around his schedule.

finally caught the episode; watched it twice

'Didn't expect them to break off Jeff's relationship already

Annie wasn't too big in this episode, but she was a darling in her scenes. 'Looked cute when she was slapping Jeff and saying, "gross" after he did the deed with Amber

Love the shot @ Glee they took... :lol

Medalion said:
wtf dude, just cuz you don't get Senor Chang don't go bashing people who enjoy him

I leave this thread for an hour and it turns into a hatorade fest :lol

I never bashed people who do, I just think Chang is mostly terrible.

Burai

shitonmychest57
backflip10019 said:

I was just hoping he wouldn't ever come back. John Oliver cannot act. At all. He's awful. Very, very funny guy but not at all suited to any sort of acting work.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Medalion said:
Did Britta get spanked a 2nd time at the dance? Wasn't sure what happened there...

Nope. Grandma was going to spank Troy after agreeing with Britta that Grandma was a horrible woman.

Medalion

Banned
I'll tell you one of the real reaosns I love Senor Chang, is because he's a male asian character not playing to asian male stereotypes in an american sitcom. He holds his own against everyone and at times trumpts the main characters, and is genuinely hilarious (subjective for some people apparently).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Medalion said:
I'll tell you one of the real reaosns I love Senor Chang, is because he's a male asian character not playing to asian male stereotypes in an american sitcom. He holds his own against everyone and at times trumpts the main characters, and is genuinely hilarious (subjective for some people apparently.
Nailed it. Dude is awesome. His bits with his brother this week added great depth to his character. And his brother was even more subversive - fucking Jewish! :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Katherine McPhee looks like a course correction of Elisha Cuthbert.
this statement... makes total sense :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom