• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Football 07 PSP screens

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/702/702723p1.html

What is exclusive to the PSP game is a mascot game, where everyone from the Michigan State Spartan known as Sparty to the Stanford Tree lineup and take the field to see just who is the toughest man in a silly costume.

In terms of Wi-Fi multiplayer, you will be able to challenge friends online and utilize full-scale stat tracking while at the same time staying up to date on the real-life scores with the help of ESPN Radio and an ESPN Ticker that scrolls scores at the bottom of the screen.

But that's not all from ESPN. Exclusive to the PSP version of the game, you will be given specific achievements to accomplish. Earn all of the goals to unlock real college football highlights from ESPN, including some of the biggest hits and craziest scores the college game has ever seen.

ncaa-football-psp-first-look-20060421030107467-000.jpg
ncaa-football-psp-first-look-20060421030102936-000.jpg
ncaa-football-psp-first-look-20060421030058217-000.jpg

Zep

Banned
"First things first, though, the game features the Turn the Tide momentum meter also being featured in both current and next gen NCAA 07."

Didn't he say yesterday that this wouldnt make it in the nex-gen version?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'd be nice if they integrated the online with PS2 and/or PS3 versions. Probably too early to do it with a PS3 NCAA, but Sony has done it with other PS2/PSP games. Something to think about for 08, at least!

This looks very good, though. Shots are a bit "PR clean" but it's impressive nonetheless.

These pics are shamefully doctored. Really though, that's a goddamn disgrace. You know PSP games have tons of jaggies, where are they in these pics? Definetly PR clean for the stupid among us.

Chris_C

DMczaf said:
Oh yeah, I need to know why PSP has better grass textures then 360

3608po.jpg
psp1uk.jpg

The PSP is a more powerful system. It goes at 333, the 360 only goes at 3.2x3= 9.6 So the PSP is actually 34.6875 times faster than the 360. My friends brother told me this, and his nieces son works at EB.

bluemax

Banned
Oh crap, NCAA on the go? This is going to ruin college students everywhere. Seriously if the reviews are good on this I may finally update my firmware beyond 1.5

Monorojo said:
These look better than last year's PS2 version.

Proof that PSP > PS2 graphics wise?

? Really? Hmm I don't know about that. The screens look nice and clean and touched up, but I would say it is still a little bit off the PS2 games, but it is a lot closer than I would expect.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Mrbob said:
WOW. I can't believe this is being done on the PSP. Can't wait to see how Madden 07 turns out! PSP is a beast. :D

I'm astounded game websites are still accepting screenshots from publishers way beyond the resolution of PSP with high AA and touting them as PSP screenshots myself.

PSP is indeed a beast, but there is no need to go and try and dupe the public. Kudos to Namco for releasing "actual" PSP screens.

Mrbob

Mario said:
I'm astounded game websites are still accepting screenshots from publishers way beyond the resolution of PSP with high AA and touting them as PSP screenshots myself.

PSP is indeed a beast, but there is no need to go and try and dupe the public. Kudos to Namco for releasing "actual" PSP screens.

Heh, this reaction is probably why they dupe screenshots. ;) Videos will be out soon enough. What if PSP can handle 4XAA and 16AF?!? :D

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob said:
Heh, this reaction is probably why they dupe screenshots. ;) Videos will be out soon enough. What if PSP can handle 4XAA and 16AF?!? :D
nope. hell, the 360 can't even seem to be able to handle 2x AF... they can barely swing trilinear filtering. just look at the ground on any 360 game... the blurring is fucking awful. it's one of my biggest pet peeves. i would trade away any graphics in the world to ensure I have at least 4x AF... but yet, we don't get any AF at all.

though the 360 does seem to be doing 4x FSAA as far as i can tell.

but, so no, psp aint touchin 16x AF and 4x FSAA. unfortunately.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Mrbob said:
Heh, this reaction is probably why they dupe screenshots. ;) Videos will be out soon enough.

There is no reason why they could capture not video at the same res as the screens. We may not see anything representative until the game is released (and even then game websites pretty much just take whatever screenshots are given to them).

What if PSP can handle 4XAA and 16AF?!? :D

Well, the PSP can handle some AA. Some games have it already, so 2x1 or 1x2 AA is achievable.

2x2 is also probably possible in some circumstances (we are aiming for 2x2 AA in one aspect of our upcoming PSP title).

Beyond that and you are pretty much hampered by fillrate and bandwidth issues.

Mrbob

What is the deal with Xbox platforms and grass though?

Seriously. Madden and NCAA games, the grass looked like shit on the Xbox version vs the PS2 game. Now the grass looks better on the PSP than the 360 version. What kind of hardware limitation has ms implemented in their console where it is unable to reproduce more realistic grass in sports games? :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob said:
What is the deal with Xbox platforms and grass though?

Seriously. Madden and NCAA games, the grass looked like shit on the Xbox version vs the PS2 game. Now the grass looks better on the PSP than the 360 version. What kind of hardware limitation has ms implemented in their console where it is unable to reproduce more realistic grass in sports games? :lol
i agree... though that may be laziness on EA's part.

but it's two parts. one part texture quality, other part Anisotropic Filtering (lack thereof).

but there does seem to be a glowing problem with all 360 titles not using any (or very little, 2x) anisotropic filtering. just look at the ground in madden, oblivion, kameo, etc. etc.

i fucking hate it. with a passion. a blurry ground is so annoying, especially since i've been using 4x + AF for many years now on my pc and i just can't go back.

maybe a developer can explain why they don't use AF on the 360 (?) but if PS3 does, so long 360. i can't tolerate blurry ground textures any more.

Speevy

Banned
shpankey said:
i agree... though that may be laziness on EA's part.

but it's two parts. one part texture quality, other part Anisotropic Filtering (lack thereof).

but there does seem to be a glowing problem with all 360 titles not using any (or very little, 2x) anisotropic filtering. just look at the ground in madden, oblivion, kameo, etc. etc.

i fucking hate it. with a passion. a blurry ground is so annoying, especially since i've been using 4x + AF for many years now on my pc and i just can't go back.

maybe a developer can explain why they don't use AF on the 360 (?) but if PS3 does, so long 360. i can't tolerate blurry ground textures any more.

I have no idea about this technical stuff, but I want to chime in here. I do notice the blurry distant textures on some games. Inane_Dork from TeamXbox is a programmer who I've always trusted. He posted the following on 3/31.

A user posted this.

Originally Posted by Rover
Memory bandwidth is probably the best explantion I've heard so far too, since AF is a memory bandwidth hog.

And Pete responded:

It would be if the large majority of samples weren't already in the texture cache. As it is, it increases memory bandwidth demands but not by huge amounts.

Each sample takes a cycle on Xenos. 2x AF takes two cycles, etc. Xenos is designed so that the math ops outweigh the texture ops by about 3:1. Most current shaders are closer to 1:1 or 2:1. So, when you factor that together, enabling AF will increase the load where the bottleneck already (likely) is, thus slowing down the rendering.

I have no idea what any of that means, but if you understand it, I guess that's your answer.

shpankey

not an idiot
i sort of do... i guess. :lol

thanks for the answer though, at least i know now that there IS a reason for it.

bluemax

Banned
I'm not sure how I should feel about the fact that I can understand that more or less. EE357 for the win I guess.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mario said:

Yeah, seems weird they feel the need to do this when, even if they didn't glam up these screens, there'd still be visible improvement over Madden 06 for the PSP.

Mook1e

Mario said:

QFT
799x453 PSP screens FTL :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speevy said:
I have no idea about this technical stuff, but I want to chime in here. I do notice the blurry distant textures on some games. Inane_Dork from TeamXbox is a programmer who I've always trusted. He posted the following on 3/31.

A user posted this.

And Pete responded:

I have no idea what any of that means, but if you understand it, I guess that's your answer.

It's as reasonable explanation as any other, and I've seen it proposed by others too, but not a particularly encouraging one. It's basically a complicated way of saying "if you want better filtering, reduce your texturing requirement". If your texture units are already unacceptably bottlenecking your game, increasing your shader complexity to a 3:1 or higher ratio versus texturing won't relieve that bottleneck, it'll simply move the same or a worse bottleneck to the shader ALUs. Hitting that 3:1 ratio at an acceptable framerate would require reducing your texturing while maybe also increasing your shader activity, but not solely the latter.

edit - I'm not entirely convinced there isn't more to this than meets the eye, though. I just don't see how some of these titles can be saturating its texturing capability (on paper) without even turning on AF.

Mrbob

I'm still gonna BLIEVE and hope these pics are true, because we have seen a big step up over Madden 06:

This:

madden-nfl-06-20050820084809325.jpg

to this:

ncaa-football-psp-first-look-20060421030107467.jpg

and this:

madden-nfl-06-20050820084810028.jpg

to this:

ncaa-football-psp-first-look-20060421030100295.jpg

I'm excited that the preview states NCAA 07 plays much better than Madden 06 as well. If I can get the true console NCAA and Madden experience on the road, hot damn that is exciting. :D

Top Bottom