• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2017 GOTY |OT| Results

Mr. Cormack if it's possible can we get the full list down to games that were voted once? Can we also get the list of users which votes were the closest to the final results?

Of course if it's not too much work and you thing is somewhat interesting.

But im more than happy and pleased with what you did, add impressed to the compliments too. i would dare say even if things were the same i would have welcome this new format as a refreshing change. Thank you sincerely.

Fbh

Solid list though I'm a bit sad Yakuza 0 didn't make it into the top 10.
Can't disagree with Breath of the Wild at number 1. Even as someone who wasn't too hyped about it at the start of the year it ended up being my personal Goty too. There were other amazing games this year like Nier Automata, Horizon and Yakuza. But Zelda managed to take something that I normally look at as a negative feature and turned into the star of the show: The open world.

Osukaa

Damn i've only played 1 game in the top 20 list -_- at least it was #1 though. I have to say I can only give my opinion on Zelda and I still have not finished it yet. The game with all its faults and things I don't like is just so different than the games in the series. I guess its a game that I know will be built upon the foundation it has laid and thats what makes me really excited. Well deserved and congrats Nintendo.

Great job on the list! Very nice presentation.

Disappointed to not see Xenoblade 2 higher, but I guess I should be glad the game turned out as well as it did, considering how bad the trailers and initial details of it seemed.

Genuinely shocked to see Horizon Zero Dawn as #2. I mean, it's a decent game but I think it being in even the top 20 is debatable.

EDIT: Also, where is Splatoon 2? (Very sad to not see 3DS included in this as well)

Last edited:

breadtruck

I have always become quickly bored with, or straight-up hated open world games; yet I loved, completed, and even went back to both Zelda and Horizon.

Well deserved in the top two spots.

down 2 orth

Lol seeing "non-shit" pop up for Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I was hoping Nier would reach a higher spot, but there were understanably a lot of good games this year.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mr. Cormack if it's possible can we get the full list down to games that were voted once? Can we also get the list of users which votes were the closest to the final results..

Yeah I just wanted to get the bulk of the work up. I'm trying to stick a front end over it which will let you choose the game and return votes, with the same for affinity data. Just ran out of time this weekend

Great job on the list! Very nice presentation.

EDIT: Also, where is Splatoon 2? (Very sad to not see 3DS included in this as well)

There is a 3DS list, honestly I just assumed it was not really worth posting but there have been a couple of requests so I'll include the proper graphic later this week. In the meantime here are the actual 3DS standings:

Metroid: Samus Returns: 152
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: 49
Fire Emblem Warriors: 34
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon: 29
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King: 27
Dragon Quest XI: 24

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was my number 1 as well. Love the freedom, the numerous possibilities, exploitations, stat buffs, and the whole sense of journey and growth. The orchestrated music was on point during cut-scenes, and there were serviceable in-game tracks. Unfortunately, I didn't feel anything from the combat themes. They were the most disappointing songs from the soundtrack. They were neither blood pumping, nor dramatic, just present. Play-control for the game was good. Took a while for me to adapt to things like having a jump button and the new ways of accessing tools and weapons, but I caught on eventually and the controls became invisible to my experience. For a sequel, I'd love to see further improvements to combat and enemy variety, plus more full scale Hyrule Castle-like dungeons.

Nier Automata was a pleasant surprise for me in 2017. I was a bit disappointed with some of the characterization of our three main androids and the criteria necessary to experience the full story, but the great music, play-control, and action packed boss fights kept me very engaged with the game in my play-through. Glad I didn't skip the game. Was originally not planning to play it due to the original game having strong swearing and characters I couldn't enjoy, never mind the mediocre game-play. Nier Automata demo was what ultimately convinced me to give it a chance, as the game-play was on point, and I was hopeful 2B's whole robotic 'don't show much emotion' angle would allow me (the player) to carve more of her character to sync with mine.

These two were probably the most memorable of the year, for me. I've got enjoyment from many other titles as well, but they didn't stick to mind as much as these two did.

Overall good year for gaming as that top 20 shows. I agree with a good number of those picks.

Last edited:

ajim

This is awesome. Thank you. Love the word clouds, such an awesome touch.

Great to see Nier getting love and beating persona 5!

philm87

Excellent presentation of the results.

I guess Prey would have been number 21 based on votes, great game that missed out.

I think the platform awards are a clear show of why the PS4 is so much more popular than Xbox!

I'm so happy to see Yakuza getting some great recognition. Equally hilarious is how a fringe franchise has more fan votes than some quite big names. It's so great to see this series grow.

Rellik

I'm so happy to see Yakuza getting some great recognition. Equally hilarious is how a fringe franchise has more fan votes than some quite big names. It's so great to see this series grow.

Who'd have thought it would take a prequel to get more people on board for this series.

It's good to see more people aware of Yakuza now because there was a time where I thought we weren't going to get anymore of them in the west.

Last edited:
What a fantastic year for gaming overall.

I have some major issues with BotW (the lack of story, primarily) but it was undeniably the best game of the year for me. It's good to see Nier Automata and Persona 5 get represented too. It's easy for releases from earlier on in the year get overshadowed by the big hitters in the final half. So those titles are clearly strong enough to stick with people well beyond the initial hype wave. That says a lot about how great they are.

There are some oddities in the list that I didn't expect to be there and Prey's ommision is a strange oversight. But overall, it's a great list; all genres are well represented. Well done GAF and major kudos to OP for putting in the hard yards to make this happen.

Bring on the rest of 2018 :D.

Last edited:

masterkajo

Thank you for the work you put into this. It was easy to vote and hassle free. A well deserved first spot for Zelda and I am pleased to see Divinity II: Original Sin on top (PC) as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom