• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mainly concerned about it because it's a footprint I prefer to the Fightsticks and I still trust Hori's PCBs to MadCatz's, even if I have a hateful relationship with the previous bulky-style HRAP series.

Kronotech

So I'm finally gonna buy SFIV and of course will be gearing up for MvC3. I've gone through this thread a bit and over to Shoryuken to get some info but I'm not familiar with the lingo of the sticks/parts. I'm no fighter pro although I'm no scrub either :)

GAF, help me find a good arcade stick on eBay! My price range is $100 but I'd get the TE if it's highly recommended and worth it.

STREET FIGHTER IV 4 RYU FIGHTPAD CONTROLLER - $49.99
Are the fightpads even worth it? Only 6 buttons as opposed to the typical 8?
SF4388280041.jpg

Street Fighter 4 IV PS3 Arcade Fight Stick - $59.97
Looks standard and pretty nice.
SFIVPS3ArcadeFightStick.jpg

ARCADE FIGHTER FIGHT STICK - $64.99
Generic stick
DGPS3-1357-ARCADE-FIGHTER-1.jpg

Hori USB PS3 Real Arcade Pro 3 Fighting Sanwa Stick - $89.99
I read Sanwa is the way to go. Good price for Sanwa, I would say.
ps3j-realarcadepro1.jpg

SFIV FightStick PS3 TE - $139.99
The best of the bunch I suppose.
MISC_MadCatz_PS3_SFIV_FightStickTE_.jpg

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Kronotech said:
So I'm finally gonna buy SFIV and of course will be gearing up for MvC3. I've gone through this thread a bit and over to Shoryuken to get some info but I'm not familiar with the lingo of the sticks/parts. I'm no fighter pro although I'm no scrub either :)

GAF, help me find a good arcade stick on eBay! My price range is $100 but I'd get the TE if it's highly recommended and worth it.

Out of the choices, I'd say just get the TE. They go on sale all the time as well, MarkMan will post about discounts during major tournaments.

STREET FIGHTER IV 4 RYU FIGHTPAD CONTROLLER (Mad Catz Fight Pad)
- actually, it does still have 8 buttons (6 face, 2 shoulders)... but most PS3 pad players I know do just fine with a DualShock 3

Street Fighter 4 IV PS3 Arcade Fight Stick (Mad Catz SE)
- only pick this up if you can find it for sale at less than $50... the stock parts will wear out much faster than pricier sticks, but at least it's easy to replace them with real arcade parts (around ~$30) because the case opens up easily and the wiring is all quick disconnects

ARCADE FIGHTER FIGHT STICK (some brand I've never even heard of)
- nah, don't bother with this at all. Knock-off parts that will die quickly and it'll be much harder to mod than the Mad Catz SE (probably requiring dremeling, desoldering, etc.).

Hori USB PS3 Real Arcade Pro 3 Fighting Sanwa Stick
- I'm a big fan of HRAPs, but you should know that for this model specifically the joystick lever is a Sanwa JLF, but the buttons are Hori knock-offs. Hori buttons work okay, but aren't as responsive/sensitive as arcade parts.

SFIV FightStick PS3 TE
- Authentic Sanwa parts for everything (Sanwa JLF for joystick lever, OBSF buttons for face and start/select) and a nice heavy case. There really is good reason that everyone uses TEs nowadays.

I'm thinking about selling half of my sticks. I have 10+ and it seems excessive. Do you think Ebay is a good outlet for selling them (Qanbas, HRAP3, HRAPEX, TEs, etc)?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Spiderjericho said:
I'm thinking about selling half of my sticks. I have 10+ and it seems excessive. Do you think Ebay is a good outlet for selling them (Qanbas, HRAP3, HRAPEX, TEs, etc)?

Sell some here and on SRK trading outlet.

The rarer/harder to find ones though, take those to ebay.

MarkMan said:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs079.ash2/37290_402649548882_507353882_4431258_7427095_n.jpg[IMG]

^ a friend's TE stick!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPZ[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can use Facebook images like that. I always have to hit quote and copy/paste the image URL when you use Facebook. Maybe it works for people who are on your facebook friend's list or something. Until I realized there was an image that wasn't being displayed, I thought you'd gone insane for a couple posts :lol

Linkhero1

foomfoom415 said:
I don't think you can use Facebook images like that. I always have to hit quote and copy/paste the image URL when you use Facebook. Maybe it works for people who are on your facebook friend's list or something. Until I realized there was an image that wasn't being displayed, I thought you'd gone insane for a couple posts :lol
I can see it with no issues.

Byshop

ExMachina said:
Out of the choices, I'd say just get the TE. They go on sale all the time as well, MarkMan will post about discounts during major tournaments.

STREET FIGHTER IV 4 RYU FIGHTPAD CONTROLLER (Mad Catz Fight Pad)
- actually, it does still have 8 buttons (6 face, 2 shoulders)... but most PS3 pad players I know do just fine with a DualShock 3

Street Fighter 4 IV PS3 Arcade Fight Stick (Mad Catz SE)
- only pick this up if you can find it for sale at less than $50... the stock parts will wear out much faster than pricier sticks, but at least it's easy to replace them with real arcade parts (around ~$30) because the case opens up easily and the wiring is all quick disconnects

ARCADE FIGHTER FIGHT STICK (some brand I've never even heard of)
- nah, don't bother with this at all. Knock-off parts that will die quickly and it'll be much harder to mod than the Mad Catz SE (probably requiring dremeling, desoldering, etc.).

Hori USB PS3 Real Arcade Pro 3 Fighting Sanwa Stick
- I'm a big fan of HRAPs, but you should know that for this model specifically the joystick lever is a Sanwa JLF, but the buttons are Hori knock-offs. Hori buttons work okay, but aren't as responsive/sensitive as arcade parts.

SFIV FightStick PS3 TE
- Authentic Sanwa parts for everything (Sanwa JLF for joystick lever, OBSF buttons for face and start/select) and a nice heavy case. There really is good reason that everyone uses TEs nowadays.

From my own experience I pretty strongly agree with each of these assessments. The TE stick is the best by far and well worth the price difference. Avoid the knock-off stick. The fightpads are OK depending on what characters you use but if you're shelling out the bucks they are no substitute for a real arcade stick.

Only diff is I'd say I'm -really- not a fan of the Mad Catz SE. I've seen too many of these things break down over what I felt to be way to little use. Store display models are always busted, friend's of mine have broken units where the buttons start doing weird things like delayed input, etc. Go for the TE if it's in your budget.

-Byshop

Eric WK

First time arcade stick buyer checking in. Just ordered a SSFIV TE S on Amazon that will be here tomorrow and I'm already losing sleep considering customization options. :lol

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, but here's my idea for some custom art and I'd love some feedback. It's Scott Pilgrim themed. I think I nailed the placement of Scott and I got the fonts right, but the font color might not be final. I'm thinking Seimitsu transparent buttons with power ups or character heads underneath - any ideas for colors on those and the ball top?

Thanks!

whmlnc.png

Caj814

So. . .any signs that there will be another madcatz sale during the Evo 2k10 weekend?Been meaning to get one as an extra stick but been waiting for another good sale to come along.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Caj814 said:
So. . .any signs that there will be another madcatz sale during the Evo 2k10 weekend?Been meaning to get one as an extra stick but been waiting for another good sale to come along.

Guaranteed.

It will be our greatest sale ever.

Hope you guys save up. We'll have NEW stuff up for grabs.

Also....

via SRK:

evoGoldFightStick.jpg

The EVO Championship Series is proud to reveal that the 2010 World Finals will also feature Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, playable by the general public for the first time anywhere. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 producer Ryota Niitsuma will also be making a special appearance alongside his new game, so stop by to play it for yourself and tell him what you think!

In addition, EVO proudly announces the Mad Catz® Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick™ Tournament Edition as the official controller for the EVO 2010 World Finals. "Tournament players world-wide have turned to Mad Catz® Tournament Edition controllers for their premium components and impeccable build quality," said Tom Cannon, founder of the EVO Championship Series. In support of EVO’s spirit of top-level competitive play, Mad Catz® will contribute to the Super Street Fighter IV cash prize and produce a super-limited run of exclusive Tournament Edition "golden sticks" to be awarded as prizes to the top eight competitors in the Super Street Fighter IV tournament. The only way to get one of these sticks is to place in the top eight, so practice up! For more information on Mad Catz® products please visit madcatz.com.

All three days of tournament action will be streamed live on the Internet. To produce the live stream, EVO has partnered with Level|Up, universally renowned for their pro-gaming broadcast expertise and ability to make all the amazing on-screen action accessible to a global audience. For more information about Level|Up, please visit levelup-series.com.

Discuss.

July 9-11. Be there.

<3

GeorgeC

Banned
That gold stick looks a lot like...

Well, no, it basically IS a variant of the Asian white TE stick.

(Too bad they never released the white PS3 version. I would have gotten it!)

Good for the eight people who will win the stick.

Would have liked to have seen a US release of the white TE stick -- for both PS3 and XBox 360.

I'm guessing MS paid for a 360 exclusive in Asia?

Regardless of what happens next year, I know I've got plans to get a Hori V3 SA after it hits the US and probably another Agetec DC Arcade Stick to mod...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey guys, I'm selling this customized HRAP3-SA.

4v4nq9.jpg

I sold my PS3 so I don't need it anymore. I'd like to get $75, so that's how much it would cost plus whatever shipping is. I don't know how much shipping costs for something like this but maybe someone here does. I don't know if it'd cost more or less to ship in the original box, which I have if you want it.

It's not the most perfectly executed customization, but I think it's really cool (way better than boring gray label) and maybe you do too. Either way, this is about half as much as what you'd normally pay for one.

Let me know!

Edit: Sale now pending

Agyar

GeorgeC said:
That gold stick looks a lot like...

Well, no, it basically IS a variant of the Asian white TE stick.

(Too bad they never released the white PS3 version. I would have gotten it!)

Good for the eight people who will win the stick.

Would have liked to have seen a US release of the white TE stick -- for both PS3 and XBox 360.

I'm guessing MS paid for a 360 exclusive in Asia?

Is the plain white Madcatz TE a Round 1 or Round 2 stick?

I believe there's some differences in the PCB between the two rounds and I'm tossing up as to which flavour of TE to purchase at the moment. Being Australian, the prices can vary wildly and I'm trying to find the best price online for each model. The cheapest seems to be the TE S, but I'm hesitant to pick this one up as I've heard conflicting reports about the comfort and the 360 buttons look a bit ugly on it. The Round 2 sticks, however, are about 50 AUD more in price. The other option is the white TE for slightly less than the Round 2s.

mannerbot

Agyar said:
Is the plain white Madcatz TE a Round 1 or Round 2 stick?

I believe there's some differences in the PCB between the two rounds and I'm tossing up as to which flavour of TE to purchase at the moment. Being Australian, the prices can vary wildly and I'm trying to find the best price online for each model. The cheapest seems to be the TE S, but I'm hesitant to pick this one up as I've heard conflicting reports about the comfort and the 360 buttons look a bit ugly on it. The Round 2 sticks, however, are about 50 AUD more in price. The other option is the white TE for slightly less than the Round 2s.

The Round 1 and Round 2 sticks have the same PCB. If the Round 2 stick really is 50 AUD more, and the TE S button colors really bother you that much, why not just get the TE S and buy buttons?

Shuusui

I'm useless at SSFIV, but I have enough amazon credit to bring this deal down to $65... pull the trigger on something that will most likely make me worse at the game?

Nabs

Shuusui said:
I'm useless at SSFIV, but I have enough amazon credit to bring this deal down to $65... pull the trigger on something that will most likely make me worse at the game?

yep. go for it. there's a learning curve, but it's not really that serious. you can also use the stick on your computer. well, the 360 one for sure. the ps3 one may not work out the box.

Fugu

Nabs said:
yep. go for it. there's a learning curve, but it's not really that serious. you can also use the stick on your computer. well, the 360 one for sure. the ps3 one may not work out the box.
PS3 one works fine as long as you have a chipset that supports it. AMD and nVidia chipsets don't agree with them because they're USB 1.1.

lolmark

Finally got the artwork and replacement plexi for the TE-S sticks.

My brother's Championship Edition Artwork. 6 button layout.
DSCN0479.jpg

Mine: Lady Gaga "Discostick TE-G" :D
DSCN0482.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Well, I got my first TE stick (SSFIV). Love the stick, but have some issues with it. For one, the nuts that are embedded in the housing will fall out. This pissed me off as all I was trying to do was fasten the screws back on after changing the gate. I had to tape down several just to get the screws to catch. Not doing so would result in a nut rolling around inside the case. Shit kept happening on the 6th screw, which was frustrating as hell!

Also, what was the point of having the art work sit on top of the stick? Even though it's only like 1/5 of a cm, it's pretty noticeable, and it can chaff your palms pretty easily. Seems like a very odd design decision. Like everything else about the stick though...except LT/LB and RT/RB buttons being backwards. What was the point in changing that?

Anyone cop one of these yet?

albattop_group.jpg

Nabs

Fugu said:
PS3 one works fine as long as you have a chipset that supports it. AMD and nVidia chipsets don't agree with them because they're USB 1.1.

if you have an old chipset, you could be ok. i had to purchase a usb card for it to work on my pc.

Ryn

edit: nm though question, will the "Seimitsu LB-39 Clear Joystick Ball Top" (bubbletop) fit the top of a madcatz tournament edition fight stick?

Is there an easy way to just replace the ball top on my original madcatz SFIV TE stick with a bat top? I've been trying to google around without too much luck - most things I'm finding are talking about doing sanwa mods to SE sticks. I'm just trying to figure out what I would need to buy - is there a way to just get the ball off and replace it with a bat? Or do I have to buy a whole new stick assembly?

unagisensei said:
Is there an easy way to just replace the ball top on my original madcatz SFIV TE stick with a bat top? I've been trying to google around without too much luck - most things I'm finding are talking about doing sanwa mods to SE sticks. I'm just trying to figure out what I would need to buy - is there a way to just get the ball off and replace it with a bat? Or do I have to buy a whole new stick assembly?
you need to open the stick from the top using a 6mm hex key and use a flathead screwdriver to hold the lever in place ath the base while you twist the balltop off. You'll have to remove the shaft cover as well to accommodate the bat top, but it slides right off once the balltop is gone.

vocab

unagisensei said:

I think you just need the adapter. It's 50 cents on lizard lick.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Anyone going to EVO?

Just want a heads up of what I need to bring...

How many people are interested in purchasing TE sticks, parts, shirts, etc. at EVO 2010?

Please let me know what you're interested in.

I have the following that I can bring...

• Super Street Fighter IV TE "S" for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Street Fighter IV TE for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Street Fighter IV Round 2 TE for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Marvel VS Capcom TE for Xbox 360
  • Tatsunoko VS Capcom FightStick for Wii
  • Team Mad Catz Shirt (the one that Daigo wears) Small - 2XL
  • FightStick parts (lol, surprise; I won't reveal which ones but expect some ALL new stuff)
Free Aura Blue TE keychain with every purchase at EVO as well.

36482_438149918351_581818351_5776393_540565_n.jpg

And of course it will be for a special EVO only discounted rate.

I'll also have an online sale too for those that can't make it. But it won't be as sexy.

knee

MarkMan said:
Anyone going to EVO?

Just want a heads up of what I need to bring...

How many people are interested in purchasing TE sticks, parts, shirts, etc. at EVO 2010?

Please let me know what you're interested in.

I have the following that I can bring...

• Super Street Fighter IV TE "S" for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Street Fighter IV TE for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Street Fighter IV Round 2 TE for Xbox 360 and PS3
  • Marvel VS Capcom TE for Xbox 360
  • Tatsunoko VS Capcom FightStick for Wii
  • Team Mad Catz Shirt (the one that Daigo wears) Small - 2XL
  • FightStick parts (lol, surprise; I won't reveal which ones but expect some ALL new stuff)
Free Aura Blue TE keychain with every purchase at EVO as well.

36482_438149918351_581818351_5776393_540565_n.jpg

And of course it will be for a special EVO only discounted rate.

I'll also have an online sale too for those that can't make it. But it won't be as sexy.

If I somehow win a little money in vegas, I may be buying a stick and mailing it home. :lol

CPCunha

I'll be taking a trip to london this week and im in dire need of help!
Please GAF, direct me to a UK shop where i can find the Hori Real Arcade PRO V3 SA (hrapv3sa)!!

thanks in advance!

Garcian

CPCunha said:
I'll be taking a trip to london this week and im in dire need of help!
Please GAF, direct me to a UK shop where i can find the Hori Real Arcade PRO V3 SA (hrapv3sa)!!

thanks in advance!

I can't imagine you'll find one anywhere - to my knowledge there's only one import shop left in London (Game Focus on Goodge Street) & I doubt they'll have one. This internet lark has pretty much killed off bricks & mortar import shops in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom