• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF: Create the Official Box Art for the EU Release of BlazBlue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I am all over this, I'll give it my best shot. Hopefully it will turn out better than my SF IV cover.

Arc, thanks a lot for the opportunity!

Raging Spaniard said:
I am all over this, I'll give it my best shot. Hopefully it will turn out better than my SF IV cover.

Arc, thanks a lot for the opportunity!
I loved your SFIV art. And the NeoGAF shoutout is <3

Hey ARC, would people be able to co-create? say i think of the box art, draw it up on paint & then somebody does a perfessional version. would you guys allow that? because i cant 'shop that degree.

neoxdonut

My entry is below.

3822306425_9847196a01.jpg

Bigger size> http://www.flickr.com/photos/neoxdonut/3822306425/sizes/o/

sifu

Neo Member
This is my attempt...
PS3 version
BlazBlue_EU_PS3.jpg

XBox 360 Version
BlazBlue_EU_X360.jpg

I guess the EU cover won´t have a great difference between the US one (for example the background). So I left it there...
I would have put the Aksys Games Logo on it but there was non-available. Only the ArcSystemWorks.

Enjoy!

Corto

This ARC initiative is full of win! I don't have the shop foo to create something cover worthy but I will check this thread every day! hehehehe *hint- BlazBlue cover needs more taokaka* meeeeoowww

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Good to see some entries already. Mine is going to be drawn and painted from top to bottom, so I worry that it might be a harder sell ... but well see!

Raging Spaniard said:
Good to see some entries already. Mine is going to be drawn and painted from top to bottom, so I worry that it might be a harder sell ... but well see!

I liked your SF4 cover. I was jealous when I actually saw it in a copy of the game and it hit me how many people get to view your art :D !

I'm definitely going to try this too, I want to paint something. Awesome opportunity Arc!

pulga

Banned
This is really awesome for ARC to do this. Too bad I don't have a single artistic bone in my body, but I'm sure we'll get amazing entries from the usual suspects.

Definitely want to participate.

I want to draw and paint from top to bottom too, but as Raging Spaniard says, it may be a tougher sell. Hmmm decisions decisions...

Raging Spaniard

thebaroness said:
I liked your SF4 cover. I was jealous when I actually saw it in a copy of the game and it hit me how many people get to view your art :D !

I'm definitely going to try this too, I want to paint something. Awesome opportunity Arc!

Hey you went to Fullsail! I went to Fullsail!(2004 though) Heck I even interned there for a while. with the OP crew :)

Small world, looking forward to your entry.

Canti

Wow I always miss stickies. I totally quit on the SF4 thing as I thought there would be thousands of entries and I couldn't finish my piece in time. Hopefully I can do something by the deadline.

Anth0ny

This is absolutely awesome. I'm sure the box art will look fantastic.

GAF should be in charge of more box art :lol

This should be very interesting, is this limited to EU citizens only (I don't see any mention of it in OT)? I'd like to take up the challenge just for fun.

tomasdk

Wow, I never thought this would be released in europe. Now I have to start thinking about getting a x360/ps3. :D
As my arts skill is nonexistent I look forward to see what more talented peole will come up with. Alreaty saw some great attempts here.
And while here, pelase please ARC release GGXXAC+ in europe. :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is really awesome for a dev to be involved with the community. I already bought the PS3 US version. This is really an awesome game, please contribute the best way you can.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
the 4shared password is wrong, or I'm totally unknowledgable about the subtitle (I thought it was (blank) Trig?). In any case, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring and try to win a US copy (though having Arc System Works print my boxart for my copy would be a huge fanservice thing. :lol )

Ah, it's case sensitive. Doh.

TheSeks

Eh, I'm not quite sure if I'm happy with how this turned out. But I just spent roughly 4-6 hours on this. I'm sure it looks quite amature (and uncreative) but a) I liked the wallpaper idea of black/blue for the Japan desktop wallpapers and b) I liked the character portraits in Black/Blue. Unfortunately this posed problems in moving the wallpapers over because the color portraits with them were close.

I also couldn't fit one character into the space provided without it looking awkward (there isn't an odd number of characters, sadly). So one had to be dropped and since he was too close to his "shadow" part, I had to drop the Potemkin clone.

*sigh* Looking at the artwork that the 4share account had was pretty neat, but not a lot of it is useful for fronts. Esp. given that most of it isn't transparent (I'm too scared to try to cleanup the "Blazblue" logo more, so you can see the artifacts/white spots that are still there without messing with it. Next time Arc, please provide transparent logos/character art if you can. It makes working with them in photoshop much eaiser). The yin-yang and a couple other symbols cover up the character portraits that were sticking out and I couldn't blur/color in without it looking too bad (they were huge!)/looked manipulated. I like how the color channel function of CS 1 made them go from black/white to black/blue. I think I matched the general blue tone of the wallpapers and I think I did an okay job playing it by ear, but I'm not too sure it's a "winner material" with those in it. :(

Lastly, the bottom I like, it covers the "Blazblue" logos that the wallpapers had and gives color portraits of the characters with a background that doesn't look tacky/fits in. I'm not too sure if the PEGI/ESRB/whatever rating logo will fit there without killing the one character on the left/right though. *sigh*

I kinda wish we had the PEGI/ESRB/Playstation/Playstation Network/X-box 360/X-box Live logos/headers so I could've fit them in and tried to mess around with the space provided. I'm not sure if even if those were provided that the size I used would've let them fit without manipulation to look stretched/fitted in. :|

Oh, well, at least I tried. (I do have the .psd and would love to clean up the Blazblue logo if you guys have a transparent one, Arc. I'm not to sure how well that'd fit into the "Blue" style I have going on (probably would blend in too much), but providing it and messing around with the box some more would be nice.

I'd love to do the back artwork just to mess around (since the 4share account has photos in-game, so that'd make some killer back-box work). But after spending hours on the front I'm kinda drained and scared to show it to GAF (since I know GAF has done better artwork before).

Oh well, wordy and I'm close to hitting the character limit so I'm shutting up now and providing a link since the image is HUGE.

Click me to see Sek's amature photoshop skills!

Raging Spaniard

ARC said not to worry about logos, theyll deal with them as they need them.

Just worry about the overall design and make sure theres space for titles and logos, a bounding box for the placeholder should do, if you really want to get into that.

TheSeks

Raging Spaniard said:
ARC said not to worry about logos, theyll deal with them as they need them.

Just worry about the overall design and make sure theres space for titles and logos, a bounding box for the placeholder should do, if you really want to get into that.

Well, the Blazblue logo fits where I placed it without looking too terrible. It's just the blue/white looks out of place with the blue/black motif I have going on. :/

Maybe not cleaning EVERYTHING around the logo (leaving a white "buffer") wouldn't make it look too bad. I'm happy with how I went about with the box, and it took a lot longer than I thought it would. But overall there's a couple of things nagging me in terms of space for logos/boxes.

Oh well. Maybe I'll go back to it later before the end of September.

kay

I haven't seen the logo on the download site but I looked at it on the picture you uploaded. There shouldn't be white in the background, only around the edges. Here is the logo I used.
1552pmf.jpg

TheSeks

kay said:
I haven't seen the logo on the download site but I looked at it on the picture you uploaded. There shouldn't be white in the background, only around the edges. Here is the logo I used. >>image<<

No. I used that logo. I magic-wanded the logo to try to make it transparent to fit the image. The thing is, the "white" inside the logo is still there because I'm scared to try to manipulate the logo in there and ruin the borders/stuff around the letters. :lol

There is also some "White" left around the outside because it was too close and I was worried about ruining the logo more than anything. I'd be more happy if there was a tiny amount of "white" around the logo as a border in addition to a transparent background. It wouldn't look so out of place and it wouldn't have the white "artifacts" it has now.

Get what I mean?

kay

"Try to make it transparent"? It already is transparent, or I still don't get what you mean. Ah well, the logo will be added by ASW so it really is just for reference.

TheSeks

kay said:
"Try to make it transparent"? It already is transparent, or I still don't get what you mean. Ah well, the logo will be added by ASW so it really is just for reference.

Is it? I copied it into photoshop and it throws a white background around it. I guess I should open the logo/save it and see.

Huh, CS1 throws up some error about it being an ivalid file/corrupted marker or something in it. I dunno. :|

TheSeks

kay said:
Tinypic changed the extension to jpg,

Ah, explains it. I was wondering why it kept wanting to be a .jpg when saving it. :lol

Okay, that works. Time to re-edit my image with it. Yay!

sifu

Neo Member
TheSeks said:
Ah, explains it. I was wondering why it kept wanting to be a .jpg when saving it. :lol

Okay, that works. Time to re-edit my image with it. Yay!

Or just take the the "360 Package.psd". There´s a layer with the logo only...no need for magic wand :D

Really interesting. Props to Arc. Hoping to see some great entries. I have to say though, making this a sticky gives me a feeling that it will be missed by more people than if I was a normal thread. No one looks at stickies.

It would be nice to get some more screen shots of characters in action poses.

The ones provided for the Astral Heats are covered in flash. :p

There doesn't seem to be many floating around the net either.

2ev6t8z.jpg

My entry (small ver)
Big

Looking at it now, I can see a few bits where it needs improving. The guy in red needs stretching a little, you can see the background above and below him a bit. And it looks a little oversaturated perhaps. But I forgot to saves the .psd version >_< So I'll see how I do and let the box art pros clean it up on the 1 in a million chance I win XD

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Here's my meager contribution:

And with labels:

I have an even larger size ready too, if the need should arise.

Raging Spaniard

Android18a said:
2ev6t8z.jpg

My entry (small ver)
Big

Looking at it now, I can see a few bits where it needs improving. The guy in red needs stretching a little, you can see the background above and below him a bit. And it looks a little oversaturated perhaps. But I forgot to saves the .psd version >_< So I'll see how I do and let the box art pros clean it up on the 1 in a million chance I win XD

Theres no need to feature the same two characters twice, I would change Ragna and the other blonde dude at the bottom with two other characters, since theyre already up front and center.

Okay, I didn't like the characters at the bottom anyway, it looked cluttered and messy. I tried simplifying...

awtawo.jpg

Huge Size

For some reason it looks a lot brighter and more vivid in Firefox than on Photoshop. It's meant to be a little less eyeburning.

Android18a said:
Okay, I didn't like the characters at the bottom anyway, it looked cluttered and messy. I tried simplifying...

For some reason it looks a lot brighter and more vivid in Firefox than on Photoshop. It's meant to be a little less eyeburning.

Yes. Much better.

The reason it looks brighter and more vivid in firefox is because photoshop is embedding a color profile into the image. Check under your color profile settings.

TheSeks

Cleaned up logo boxart. I think this is my final edit to it, I like how it turned out (even if it looks amateurish), and the blue motif for Blaz"BLUE" follows it. :lol

Doubt I'll win, but what the hell, worth trying.

ARC Euro

TheSeks said:
CAN I HAZ AMERICAN COPY IF I WIN EU BOXART!? (AKA: Americans included?)

I'd fire up Photoshop if that was the case, but...

Hello TheSeks,
Sincere apologies for delay of reply.
There is no restriction on nationality of a creator.
As long as you create something European might like!

thank you for your interests.

best regards,
ARC Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom