• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

look mister this thread is about super-nerdy crap like complaining that your favorite game isn't high enough, not hyper-nerdy crap like saying you're glad something is low THERE IS A DIFFERENCE*

*not really but still

sm owns and is fun and ur probably bad at video games[/spoils]

edit fucked that up but don't care

Amir0x

Banned
i think this thread is pretty much exactly for commenting on the various games and their rankings. The conversation had switched to people discussing Silent Hill's abysmal ranking, which I think is pretty accurate to the quality of the game. GAF got it right, in other words! Bravo GAF.

Hey, at least I purchased it. You guys who actually liked it can't blame me for it not selling, if it didn't sell.

i didn't vote for it because i hadn't even played it yet since it came out so late. gaf's gaming media-inspired "QUICK GET THE VOTES IN AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE" tradition screwed it over. I'd have lent it 2 points at least :crycry

anyway you're just upset because you kept looking at all the drug and booze references and the game gave you a bad personality profile. seriously, i laughed at the "ABC's of Drugs" poster at the school and my Harry's response reminded me of something you would say, which is probably indicative of my own psychological problems that i'm glad the game did not comment on

Amir0x

Banned
If anything, I'm more upset that the game features nothing that has traditionally made a Silent Hill game fun. That obviously biased me a bit up front. But if it was only that, I could admit it was a good game. And I'm not talking about updating the gameplay, because Silent Hill games obviously could stand to get their features polished and to have a stronger foundation. But basically Shattered Memories threw out the baby with the bath water - removing not only what has always made the series flawed, but everything that ever made it good.

To add to that, it added a host of its own issues - from the seriously redundant and irritating chase sequences with had zero fun factor, to the boring to explore ice world, to the admittedly high potential psychological profiling which ended up resulting in a host of surface cosmetic changes and dialogue changes on par with some low level western RPG. It was an extremely shallow result to what could have been an amazing feature.

The controls themselves generally worked pretty well, some of the individual moments in the game were clever (
the car flooding being the most memorable
), but the game design was seriously unappealing. It wasn't just a poor Silent Hill game.

Anyway, I guess this is becoming a little too in-depth a conversation for this topic. I just didn't want to interrupt the circle jerking in the official thread :p

John Harker said:
It didn't sell. It's probably your fault since you did purchase it.

Hurray!

Only one I can really argue with is Killzone 2. That game was instantly forgettable.

The list as a whole kinda shows this forum's Sony leanings, but I can't argue. Sony had a good year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so fucking tired of opening threads and seeing boring, cliche post after post on tangential, mostly off-topic, thread derailing things brought to you by Amirox.

No one else would get away with this shit.

Tain said:
what the buttershit is this garbage

this is the worst

Eh, it was bound to happen since it is likely the most played game on that list by a massive margin. I haven't played enough of S&P2 to decide on its quality, but the rest of the list is how I'd rank them.

S&P2 is pretty awesome though.

Damn I just saw this thread.
UC2 was really the only game that could have taken GOTY. Well deserved.
Great list through and through.

I can't imagine how much time this took you Timetokill(obviously) but thanks for the effort you did a great job.

Xater

BlazingDarkness said:
I was pretty disappointed with the PSP releases this year, many of them were PSP versions of PS3 stuff, and Persona PSP really aged badly - I think Dissidia was the only one i'd have put forward for nomination.
Having said that, this year is very different - i wouldn't be surprised if PSP games took the top spots for GAF's handheld GOTY

That's just a crime! That's why this happened :(
Code:
64 Half-Minute Hero 15

I think it's awesome that KZ2 won best FPS. At least GAF remebered that it came out.

I have to say though that I am not a fan of the voting system this year either. Gives the small games no chance to stand out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Btw, the NeoGAF GotY award for best MMO given to League of Legends may end up being used in their upcoming ad campaigns.

Amir0x

Banned
^ That's really cool.

Rez said:
I'm so fucking tired of opening threads and seeing boring, cliche post after post on tangential, mostly off-topic, thread derailing things brought to you by Amirox.

No one else would get away with this shit.

I didn't think there was any other thing to discuss except why one thinks a game should or should not make a list! My mistake for believing it'd be better to provide in-depth commentary on why a game should or shouldn't make a list, instead of ":lol @ KILLZONE 2!!!" or "Suck it Modern Warfare 2 ahhaha!"

Anyway, to summarize, GAF GOTY List is a good list. It made good decisions this year. Demon's Souls should be #1 on all lists, though.

Nasreddin

Thanks, timetokill. Great work!

One of the best GOTY lists this year, although there were few big titles I was interested in. But 2010 will be awesome!

swap Killzone 2 with Silent Hill: SM and I'm happy.

13 year old centric generic dudebro shooter (yeah, I know about the ending, but still) vs the best written story of the year, or at least one of the best.

tough choice :lol Good thing one was a PS3 exclusive.

EviLore said:
Btw, the NeoGAF GotY award for best MMO given to League of Legends may end up being used in their upcoming ad campaigns.
That is just way too cool :D

Xater said:
There was a "no" missing sorry. :lol
I guess I don't understand the sentiment, then. A lot of the smaller games stood out this year. This format arguably helped them, actually.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It was a lot of fun for me to do!

Miburou

SonOfABeep said:
Only one I can really argue with is Killzone 2. That game was instantly forgettable.

The list as a whole kinda shows this forum's Sony leanings, but I can't argue. Sony had a good year.

SonOfABeep said:
swap Killzone 2 with Silent Hill: SM and I'm happy.

13 year old centric generic dudebro shooter (yeah, I know about the ending, but still) vs the best written story of the year, or at least one of the best.

tough choice :lol Good thing one was a PS3 exclusive.

If at first you don't succeed...

trk_rkd

Banned
Good list. Gaf, I approve. Except I'd put shadow complex up a few places (loved that game) and assassin's creed II down a few places (totally didn't get what people saw in that, missions might have been better but controls and stealth mechanics were just as clunky as the first game... just my opinion).

glad kz2 pipped fucking mw2.

trk_rkd

Banned
Miburou said:
I know I'm gonna probably regret asking this, but what exactly is so worse in MW2 compared to MW1?

singleplayer storyline was awful, hysterically over the top, whereas it was quite good in the first one. contrary to what IW said the AI is still pretty predictable, does the same thing every time. unlimited respawns have just been replaced by hundreds of enemies, not really an improvement there. aside from graphics it generally did not feel particularly improved over cod4. no russian mission was a pathetically desperate attempt at being clever, looked absolutely ridiculous following a fucking snow mobile chase.

multiplayer: overemphasis on kill streaks vs the first one. way too much autoaim for shooting to be satisfying. level design *generally* not as interesting as cod4.

more than anything i think it just feels a little stale.

Miburou said:
If at first you don't succeed...

succeed at what? the silent hill discussion picked up and I really, really loved that game. It's just a shame that because so few played it compared to that hyped piece of shit killzone, it gets ranked far lower. A real shame.

SonOfABeep said:
succeed at what? the silent hill discussion picked up and I really, really loved that game. It's just a shame that because so few played it compared to that hyped piece of shit killzone, it gets ranked far lower. A real shame.

When you come to this thread and comment how a meta 90 "hyped pos game" pwned a meta 76 game just because it way hyped, isn't it, I don't know, normal to say at least why the #1 game is a pos and the 2nd one is such a master piece deserving to get #7 overall in a selection of over 200 games?

ah fuck, I missed the voting :(
Was it a sticky thread as well? I swear I notice these less :lol

I would have made Afrika game#315 :/

:lol :lol @ the bitter tears of anti-KZ2-people.
Though I'm a bit surprised as well, it sold less than its (partly even multiplatform) competitors, came out in February and had quite some backlash.

stupei

Lagspike_exe said:
When you come to this thread and comment how a meta 90 "hyped pos game" pwned a meta 76 game just because it way hyped, isn't it, I don't know, normal to say at least why the #1 game is a pos and the 2nd one is such a master piece deserving to get #7 overall in a selection of over 200 games?

Your point about actually providing reasoning, explanations, and support would have probably been better made if your own supporting evidence was something other than metacritic.

I would've preferred Ass Creed II were a little higher. Granted, I'm not halfway through the game yet, hence I didn't vote for it, but it just keeps getting better.

Other than that, great list. Uncharted 2 was fantastic. Killzone 2 absolutely deserved it, as well.

stupei said:
Your point about actually providing reasoning, explanations, and support would have probably been better made if your own supporting evidence was something other than metacritic.

I didn't play Silent Hill, because, in general, I don't play horror games, so the only way I can compare both games is through press reviews.

Miburou

SonOfABeep said:

At getting whatever reaction you're looking for by repeating the same thing, except going a step further each time.

You're like "Killzone is forgettable", and then some posts further "hellooo? I said Killzone is for 13 year olds". And finally "Are you people deaf? I think Killzone is a hyped piece of shit". It's just amusing. :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ5 DS was a bit too low IMO... do people just not like remakes or something? Still funny how a remix of a game from 1992 is more poignant than most of the big budget releases of the year. Also, guess my tastes in RPGs is vastly different from the average GAFfer - Dragon Age looked extremely sterile to me (haven't played it yet, so I'm willing to rescind my opinion when I finally do) and I have never even heard of Torchlight (euro PC game or something)?

djtiesto said:
DQ5 DS was a bit too low IMO... do people just not like remakes or something? Still funny how a remix of a game from 1992 is more poignant than most of the big budget releases of the year. Also, guess my tastes in RPGs is vastly different from the average GAFfer - Dragon Age looked extremely sterile to me (haven't played it yet, so I'm willing to rescind my opinion when I finally do) and I have never even heard of Torchlight (euro PC game or something)?

Coming in 34th place isn't bad at all, considering it's a remake of an old game like you said, and it's also a handheld game... handhelds have always gotten a bit less love on GAF, and actually if you look at the awards listing Anihawk posted earlier, there's been a decline over the past few years in votes for handheld games. I think the "new, exciting" feeling has sort of worn off of the DS/PSP stuff and, as a forum for mostly core gamers, tends to favor the bigger console and PC releases.

Also, you'll see that it ended up on the Top 20 in the "High Quality" list, meaning those who voted for it tended to vote for it pretty highly. I think it got quite a bit of respect here.

So again, I think where Dragon Quest V ended up is pretty high and definitely a statement of recommendation from GAF.

Best GOTY list this year by far. Kinda bummed I missed the voting.

Also great discussion and loved the number analysis on the data. A lot of hard work has been put into doing this.

Much appreciated!!

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Long time lurker here, just saying great job with this whole thing timetokill, and congrats to the winners. :D

Wish LKS did better though, but I wasn't expecting it to.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Congrats Uncharted 2!

Love that game. :D

u_neek said:
Where is Hakuna Matata/Afrika on the overall list? Got at least 1 point from me

Ah, that's right, I had it on the list but I see I didn't include it in the final. It got just your 1 point from what I recall. I'll add it back in.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
EviLore said:
lol wtf? that's pretty cool.

Top Bottom