• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
I’m hoping there will be enough posters to combat homophobia and racism on these boards and call people out on it. Who’s with me?
frabz-you-have-my-sword-d5956b.jpg

HariKari

I’m hoping there will be enough posters to combat homophobia and racism on these boards and call people out on it. Who’s with me?

Of course.

I'd personally prefer the diddy guy be engaged and have his views challenged thoroughly at every turn vs banning him and pretending like that type of person doesn't exist in the world. The sort of thing an OT should be for, essentially.

prag16

Banned
So can we actually elaborate on who the "certain people" are and who are the "others" they treat so horribly?

I mean it's all well and good repeating this page after page, but I'm pretty sure that even.after hundreds of pages of debate on this since the forum came back up, nobody is saying who they're actually talking about?

"The people kept on saying the thing to them and it wasn't nice imo" can only advance this debate so far.

In one of the other topics RIGHT NOW (the "sickening, people showing true colors" thread I think) there is a guy who said he thinks gay/straight is more of a spectrum and he's seen people move along it in his time (including himself). He mentioned people devoted to a church moving towards the straight side. That's probably what pissed people off. But he did immediately denounce conversion therapy, calling it torture.

He was met a several posters saying things like "Fuck you." and "Go fuck yourself.", etc. This is along the lines of what people are talking about. And in the past it very often takes a lot less than this to elicit that kind of reaction. To claim stuff like that never happened around here means you're living under a rock.

EDIT: I guess somebody posted one of his posts above at the top of the page. An opinion like that in and of itself shouldn't be bannable. Sure if he goes into OTs related to LGBT and gets really militant about it he absolutely should be banned at that point.

In one of the other topics RIGHT NOW (the "sickening, people showing true colors" thread I think) there is a guy who said he thinks gay/straight is more of a spectrum and he's seen people move along it in his time (including himself). He mentioned people devoted to a church moving towards the straight side. That's probably what pissed people off. But he did immediately denounce conversion therapy, calling it torture.

He was met a several posters saying things like "Fuck you." and "Go fuck yourself.", etc. This is along the lines of what people are talking about. And in the past it very often takes a lot less than this to elicit that kind of reaction. To claim stuff like that never happened around here means you're living under a rock.

Way to rally around a bad poster.

Jenny

Banned
Already said so in another thread but:

If NeoGAF is the kind of forum that will keep people that say disgusting shit like "ex-gays" then I'm glad ResetEra is a thing.

You either fight against this or you're part of the problem.

RinsFury

It feels more and more like our voices are being drowned out in the tornado of hate, it's hard to continue posting here when so many despise you for who you are. I had no idea that even on GAF their numbers were this large.

You get NeoGAF already isn’t, right?! The community left is GamerGate/4chan and those too simple/ignorant to understand what’s happening. Hatred is not okay to stand by and let roll.

Also those nice detailed threads you enjoyed were made by hard working progressive members that already left or are going to. Conservative red neck assholes aren’t going to put the work in for detailed write ups and elaborate OTs. They are too lazy and complain about anything that their delicate snowflake eyes can’t handle seeing about social and environmental issues.

RinsFury

You get NeoGAF already isn’t, right?! The community left is GamerGate/4chan and those too simple/ignorant to understand what’s happening.

You can't label everybody staying back that simply. For some of us this community was our home on the internet, and we are still willing to fight for it. I also greatly value the rich history of GAF, do you really want to see the forum taken offline forever and have all of those threads lost to time? I don't.

Shifty

The idea that you can't respect what needs to be respected while also limiting political discussion is preposterous.

You can't label everybody staying back that simply. For some of us this community was our home on the internet, and we are still willing to fight for it. I also greatly value the rich history of GAF, do you really want to see the forum taken offline forever and have all of those threads lost to time? I don't.

At any moment Evillore can and probably will destroy all of that history. He already destroyed a large number of communities with the OT fracture. It's be one thing if the site had moved to another groups hands. But as long as one person can easily destroy it all it will always be in peril and the stink of this will never wear off

Canucked

I used to be on the gaygamer forums but they shut down. I follow some gay gaming groups on Facebook but it's hard for me to stay interested in Facebook posts. If ******** has a good vibe please let me know and let me know how to get there.

EDIT: holy fuck that word is bleeped. Well I guess some will know

SOME-MIST

You get NeoGAF already isn’t, right?! The community left is GamerGate/4chan and those too simple/ignorant to understand what’s happening. Hatred is not okay to stand by and let roll.

Also those nice detailed threads you enjoyed were made by hard working progressive members that already left or are going to. Conservative red neck assholes aren’t going to put the work in for detailed write ups and elaborate OTs. They are too lazy and complain about anything that their delicate snowflake eyes can’t handle seeing about social and environmental issues.

ironically this post reeks of pent-up hatred and anger

Raptomex

Who are these redneck assholes you speak of?

prag16

Banned
The community left is GamerGate/4chan.

There are a few in every crowd but on a grand scale, I don't see any evidence that neogaf is now overwhelmingly overrun by these types as you're claiming. Can you point me to posts/threads/users? I'm guessing you can't/won't. I wanna see receipts.

Do you really want to stay in an oasis of rednecks with nothing good to say about anything or anyone?!

Point me to these alleged rednecks. Who are they? If you can identify even a few out of the hundreds (thousands?) of users active on the site the past couple days, I'd be very surprised. (Especially not ones who haven't already been banned.)

Fight for change not legacy. The Neo part was for change but still celebrated the GAF part. You can do the same. Do you really want to stay in an oasis of rednecks with nothing good to say about anything or anyone?! They blame their misery on the world rather than working on themselves and others. That is what’s left.

Flintty

Fight for change not legacy. The Neo part was for change but still celebrated the GAF part. You can do the same. Do you really want to stay in an oasis of rednecks with nothing good to say about anything or anyone?! They blame their misery on the world rather than working on themselves and others. That is what’s left.

Fuck off with this shit. Yes there are people stirring up shit at the moment but they are in the minority and will piss off when moderation is back at full compliment.

Forearms

Makes blanket statement... gets called out, and is asked for examples. Doubles down on initial blanket statement.

Excellent.

SeppOCE

This might be the wrong time and place to ask and it’s a genuine question but can someone explain what gamergate is or what a gamergater is? Seeing it pop up a lot and I’m typically out of the loop.

ironically this post reeks of pent-up hatred and anger
My patience is gone for those who seek to make the world a worse off place with their borderline apathy and insincerity so yes, I’m definitely not on the sidelines hedging. If trolls want this forum they can have it. Gaf was a liberal haven that stood on the front of the rights of the many. Active moderation was a part of that, the site owners and others interests conflicted with that. And the snowflakes can’t handle being told to act right.

You realize that if everyone who shares your views leaves then you will be contributing to making your predictions come true. If people just stayed the community wouldn't change much.

Stoop Man

Stop defending homophobes.
Now that the dude's banned, can we agree that "fuck you" does nothing to cultivate a civil and insclusive atmosphere. "Fuck you" doesn't change minds, it doesn't help people in need of support. It just makes the poster feel better about himself.

There are people on gaf that need to stop and reflect on what they say and why. They may be on the right side, but their actions are nothing but self indulgent. Do they act like that in real life? I can't imagine so.

I'm only criticizing the left here because it's only a problem for the left on gaf. Plus I identify and agree with them, so it makes it more frustrating for me when people on my side are assholes. :/

Also, have some of you guys even been to 4chan? Stuff on here is tame compared to what I've heard there. It's like a dick measuring contents over who can be more antisocial.

Now that the dude's banned, can we agree that "fuck you" does nothing to cultivate a civil and insclusive atmosphere. "Fuck you" doesn't change minds, it doesn't help people in need of support. It just makes the poster feel better about himself.

There are people on gaf that need to stop and reflect on what they say and why. They may be on the right side, but their actions are nothing but self indulgent. Do they act like that in real life? I can't imagine so.

I'm only criticizing the left here because it's only a problem for the left on gaf. Plus I identify and agree with them, so it makes it more frustrating for me when people on my side are assholes. :/

Also, have some of you guys even been to 4chan? Stuff on here is tame compared to what I've heard there. It's like a dick measuring contents over who can be more antisocial.

I mean, they were probably banned more for promoting a certain other website than they were their stance here. In fact, I'd be surprised by now if that wasn't an auto ban.

SOME-MIST

My patience is gone for those who seek to make the world a worse off place with their borderline apathy and insincerity so yes, I'm definitely not on the sidelines hedging. If trolls want this forum they can have it. Gaf was a liberal haven that stood on the front of the rights of the many. Active moderation was a part of that, the site owners and others interests conflicted with that. And the snowflakes can't handle being told to act right.

I mean you're tossing around the words snowflake and redneck in a thread about supporting others. I'm not sure if you can see the irony here, but I'm sure glad users with similar ideals are moving on from GAF which will, in turn, make this a better place.

I feel like this is a pretty good troll/gimmick to get people riled up haha...

I also think the most offensive things I've seen so far in the last couple of days are from account suicides from people who are planning on moving to the new website :x

mantidor

The idea that you can't respect what needs to be respected while also limiting political discussion is preposterous.

Strictly speaking moderation is a form of limitation. I see the shutdown of OT and political discourse as a measure to get some load off the mods whose numbers are very limited now during these days/ weeks, when the volume of posts and/or trolling are going to exponentially increase until the dust settles. Moderating such a large community in a moment when *everyone* wants to speak their mind about the recent events must be insane. I'll wait and see how permanent this measure is before joining the angry mob.

Eh, a lot of talk is now the previous OT did witch hunts and created a chilling effect where other views were banned immediately.

You got people who super support NeoGAF now saying discussions are important and we should be civil with people who think differently (bigots).

That vilifying bigots is bad because it ruins discourse.

I'm sorry, but NeoGAF is quickly turning alt-right and you're going to see more of this coming. This place is not welcoming ATM.

My issue wasn't just with the homophobe, it's also the scum that are also going out of their way to defend homophobes.

Actually, not out of their way, it's probably natural to them.

Kurdel

Banned
You got people who super support NeoGAF now saying discussions are important and we should be civil with people who think differently (bigots).

That vilifying bigots is bad because it ruins discourse.

I'm sorry, but NeoGAF is quickly turning alt-right and you're going to see more of this coming. This place is not welcoming ATM.

Yeah, the snakes are in the garden now.

Yeah, the snakes are in the garden now.

For all of Evilore's talk about hating gamergaters, he really is allowing them to take root so quickly. Heck, we got people defending Boogie by doing whataboutisms about people who supposedly taking the moral highground staying here.

It's complete shit.

Evilore has much bigger problems than a mass exodus of community members.

haimon

My patience is gone for those who seek to make the world a worse off place with their borderline apathy and insincerity so yes, I’m definitely not on the sidelines hedging. If trolls want this forum they can have it. Gaf was a liberal haven that stood on the front of the rights of the many. Active moderation was a part of that, the site owners and others interests conflicted with that. And the snowflakes can’t handle being told to act right.
Dude before the weekend gaf was Uber left to a point where any deviation was villified. I stand for equal rights and support a 2 state solution in Israel and because I support Israel was told I was a terrible person.

Gaf was not exactly a great place to discuss nuance.

Kurdel

Banned
What? Where? For a couple of dissenting opinions?

You really should come up with actual numbers instead of this mere "impressions", the only offensive shit I've seen so far is from the people leaving.

You need to be severely brain damaged to think nothing has changed in the discourse over the last few days.

Top Bottom