• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Iron Fist Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojgat

From the io9 review.

WOW. I can't believe they actually went there.

THIS SHOW WAS A SLAM DUNK, SCOTT, HOW DID YOU FUCK IT UP, YOU CUNT. IT WRITES ITSELF. IT WRITES ITSELF.

All the time they spent trying to figure out which direction to take the TV adaptation, and this what they went with?

Judging from the i09 review they either should have A) Made Danny an Asian character instead or B) Clearly made him not a White Savior better at everything than Asian people themselves are. They could still have him be bad ass at martial arts (lots of white people are) and still clearly show Asian characters that are also just as good / skilled as him

VeeP

I just don't understand how Marvel fucked this up? This is DC levels of incompetitency (if the reviews are right, I'll stick watch to form my own opinion tho).

Like seriously, after Iron Man, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Daredevil, Dr Strange, after all those guys, Iron Fist should've been easy.

Sojgat

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

It sounds like they've pretty much made the exact show people unfamiliar with the character envisioned. White saviour bullshit.

This is so fucking stupid.

LionPride

Banned
Marvel really isn't trying when it comes to Asian/Asian-American representation. What's most insulting about their current approach is that they pretend to give a shit, but are quite content ignoring our concerns.

Every Asian character in Daredevil is either a gangster or a ninja. This is pretty racist in of itself, but then they had the gall to have a scene in Season 2 where two Japanese women call out a racist white dude for conflating Japanese and Chinese people. That was probably the most tone-deaf scene I've seen in a while.

Agents of SHIELD is probably Marvel's most diverse show, with two Asian-American women as main characters, and even then the only Asian dude I can recall that wasn't some throwaway gangster was Giyera, who was mostly just a lackey.

I guess the best thing you can say about Doctor Strange is that Wong isn't Strange's slave.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty happy that Iron Fist is getting shitty reviews. Hopefully Marvel will use this opportunity to learn from their mistakes, but they probably won't. They'll just keep spouting bullshit about hearing our concerns and continue not giving a single shit.
I don't think anyone is pretending, I think they understand how racist a lot of their comic shit was, coupled with how racist things would be today, and are trying to do better. Trying does not mean succeeding. It just means they trying. With Iron Fist seeming to be a mighty white boy shit show, it makes sense why it took forver for this to get off the ground

It was so easy. The comedy goddamn wrote itself. Turn the fucking Mighty Whitey shit on its head by constantly mocking it and making all the K'un L'un natives better at martial arts and shit than Danny. Have him constantly out of his depth (even has talented as he is) and him scraping by through a combination of luck and wit. The only thing he's got going for him is the goddamn superpower shit. That and his real power is that he just doesn't fucking give up. Knock him down, bloody and beaten, and he'll get up again with another lame wisecrack.

Like a combination of

2768f0f6b37915c4_Captain-America-Civl-War-All-Day.gif

MeCqlj6.gif

and

pCDID7o.gif

And if K'un L'un is now a diverse city, than fucking give him a unique fighting style instead of it just being steeped in kung fu. You don't have any restrictions! Throw in some capoeira, some savate, some kung fu, muay thai, etc, combine them with fucking super punches.

Have Danny be a sad clown type, like Star Lord or Nathan Drake. It's okay! Sometimes you can repeat yourself and have a wisecracker for more than one protagonist in a universe! He constantly has quips and charm and a smile, and it's belying a sad traumatized interior.

His parents fucking died and he was left stranded for more than a decade in the mountains! He was raised by weird monks! His pop culture references are dated in the 90s! Run with it!

All you had to do was Spider-Man that shit! Throw in some topical racial commentary! Fish out of water!

You could have literally just started the story with him not giving a shit about his business empire and him coming to New York to stop the Hand just so he can prove he's fucking tough to the people in K'un L'un and the truth about what happened to his parents and empire is slowly revealed to him, shedding layers of his armour as we see the man beneath the clownish exterior.

Goddammit, Scott, it was so easy!

That's a shame. I was never that excited for it to begin with since I don't know a lot about the character besides UMvC3, but I assumed that Marvel would make me care by making a good show. Guess not.

I'll still watch it for all the references, cameos and whatever plot that will relate to the Defenders. Hopefully that show will deliver. Besides a few iffy episodes of Luke Cage, I've more or less liked all their shows up to now.

I just don't understand how Marvel fucked this up? This is DC levels of incompetitency (if the reviews are right, I'll stick watch to form my own opinion tho).

Like seriously, after Iron Man, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Daredevil, Dr Strange, after all those guys, Iron Fist should've been easy.

Marvel didn't come out clean with Doctor Strange. That movie's problem was just the appetizer to this clusterfuck.

S-Wind

Seeing as Marvel has been trying to do better...I doubt that'll be the case

"TRYING" to do better?

Marvel catches flack for whitewashing The Ancient One in Doctor Strange. They then follow that up with this mighty whitey laden Iron Fist shit.

Man, I hope they don't die of exhaustion from all their "trying"

duckroll

From the io9 review.

THIS SHOW WAS A SLAM DUNK, SCOTT, HOW DID YOU FUCK IT UP, YOU CUNT. IT WRITES ITSELF. IT WRITES ITSELF.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. It's like someone literally read old Iron Fist comics and thought "yeah this is a great idea, let's just adapt this. Goooooooo!"

I have only watched the first episode

So you already watched 3 episodes right? Lol.

massoluk

Banned
"TRYING" to do better?

Marvel catches flack for whitewashing The Ancient One in Doctor Strange. They then follow that up with this mighty whitey laden Iron Fist shit.

Serious missed opportunity. Could have made Danny some Asian conglomerate heir from HK for MCU instead of yet any rich white guy from NY.

wandering

Banned
Hell, Marvel's attitude was evident back in Daredevil's release. I didn't even have to make it to the ninja shit in season 2, I was sideyeing that season 1 shot of Nobu standing over a map of Hell's Kitchen with kanji stamped on it like something out of the Yellow Peril era.

duckroll

Serious missed opportunity. Could have made Danny some Asian conglomerate heir from HK for MCU instead of yet any rich white guy from NY.

Or they could have just written a good show. That alone seems hard these days. RIP. Looking forward to all the awkward gender power politics and class system nuances in Inhumans which I'm sure will be handled REALLY respectfully. LOL.

I'm crushed. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous Marvel stuff on Netflix and was hoping this would wind up being the best one yet. The character just seemed so much more interesting to me and I was expecting crazy kung fu fight scenes like in Into the Badlands or even Netflix's own Marco Polo. And instead we get this... ugh...

Saya

But Colleen’s brilliance also shines a light on the show’s troubling portrayal of Asian-inspired cultures through the lens of its white protagonist. For all the talk going in that the show would deal with the uncomfortable aspects of appropriation rooted in Danny Rand’s origin stories, there is literally a scene in the third episode where Danny—who really does feel like he’s that one annoying friend of yours who took a gap year before university, went backpacking in the far east, did some tai chi, and suddenly thought that they totally got the culture, man—explains how much better he is at martial arts than Colleen, in an attempt to show how much she needs his protection, in the middle of the fucking martial arts dojo that she owns. It’s not the only time the show goes out of the way to tell us how much better Danny purportedly is meant to be at many aspects of Asian culture (not just martial arts, but elements of spiritualism and even mastery of language come up across multiple episodes) than the many Asian people he is surrounded by, either, and if it weren’t so mind-bogglingly offensive in its execution it’d almost be hilarious.

From the io9 review.

lufU5uJ.png

frXCyMo.png

duckroll

Ah yes, the "we're totally feminist because behind every great man is a strong woman" defense. Guess what motherfuckers, they're still BEHIND the men, because all you keep marketing are their behinds. #ProveMeWrong

Nesotenso

Danny Rand is bad at being Iron Fist. But that doesn't mean that he isn't better than Colleen when it comes to martial arts.

duckroll

I told y'all they were probably going to play it straight.

I can't wait for the other shoe to drop. Colleen's going to be the "strong independent woman" who "doesn't need a man" and tells Danny to fuck off. Until they grow closer. And then they literally fuck. And once she has a taste of that great white cock, he's her man. And then they both get STRONGER because of their bond.

STRONG
FEMALE
LEADS
!

I can't wait for the other shoe to drop. Colleen's going to be the "strong independent woman" who "doesn't need a man" and tells Danny to fuck off. Until they grow closer. And then they literally fuck. And once she has a taste of that great white cock, he's her man. And then they both get STRONGER because of their bond.

STRONG
FEMALE
LEADS
!

She'll be fridged and then Misty Night will be next in line.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's going to be interesting to see what Marvel & Netflix do with this show. Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers, and honestly, the promotion around Iron Fist feels like they're preemptively sweeping it under the rug. I wonder if they'll bother giving it a Season 2 or if they'll just have Danny co-star in Season 2 of Luke Cage.

It's going to be interesting to see what Marvel & Netflix do with this show. Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers, and honestly, the promotion around Iron Fist feels like they're preemptively sweeping it under the rug. I wonder if they'll bother giving it a Season 2 or if they'll just have Danny co-star in Season 2 of Luke Cage.

This might be the only time I actively say they should consider recasting the lead character in a Marvel production.

From all the reviews I've read, either Finn Jones is horrendously miscast or the writing and direction for him is just that bad.

This is probably the first time I've thought that they completely missed the mark on casting.

Jeff Goldblum in Thor 3 makes up for it though.

LionPride

Banned
"TRYING" to do better?

Yo, I ain't say they were doing a good job. Shit they doin shitty by Asian folks. Like, they acknowledge it, kinda tries to do better, but then this shit happens.

With the Ancient One, that was lose lose from where they were standing. You either have an Asian, Man or Woman, play that role and be deemed a stereotype or have a white person play them, and be accused of white washing. That was not gonna go well either way.

Yo, I ain't say they were doing a good job. Shit they doin shitty by Asian folks. Like, they acknowledge it, kinda tries to do better, but then this shit happens.

With the Ancient One, that was lose lose from where they were standing. You either have an Asian, Man or Woman, play that role and be deemed a stereotype or have a white person play them, and be accused of white washing. That was not gonna go well either way.

Could have just hired a brown or black person. SHiet, make the Ancient One an Aztec who somehow wound up in Nepal a few hundred years ago hehe

Then only the racists are complaining, and fuck 'em anyway.

Even if they needed to change the race, why white

LaNaranja

Just have Daredevil kill him at the start of Defenders 2: Shadowland.

Or they could have had an Asian person play the role but re-write to where they are treated like a human being instead of a stereotype.

I mean, why not just Nepali

Then that goes back into the Asian stereotype, no?

Then we have a Magical Negro and that is also considered a racist trope by many. Its really lose-lose.

Then get someone middle eastern? Or hispanic? Just off the top of my head, Oded Fehr

82f7a8c76e511792951247bb00e9bd17.jpg

Would have been interesting at least. Or is it then we have a magical Arab-type character and thus we can't have magical people from any race cause then it's:

Mighty Whitey
Asian Martial Artist Master
Magic Negro
Mystical... Indian?

shink

From the io9 review.

Far out man, this annoys me the most. I can accept a boring series with unlikeable characters but not this.

wandering

Banned
Then that goes back into the Asian stereotype, no?

The whole stereotype argument feels hollow to me since they're using Asia and Asian flavored mysticism as a backdrop anyway. You want to claim you're breaking stereotypes, then drop the whole Asian thing entirely. Otherwise you're just putting lipstick on a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom