• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Iron Fist Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
The whole stereotype argument feels hollow to me since they're using Asia and Asian flavored mysticism as a backdrop anyway. You want to claim you're breaking stereotypes, then drop the whole Asian thing entirely. Otherwise you're just putting lipstick on a pig.
Exactly

Come on now, we saying they cast Tilda to break from Asian mystic stereotype when the MC trekked to an obviously Asian country to meet the said mystic?

The Kree

Banned
People seem to think an Asian actor is automatically consigned to walking around with buck teeth and speaking broken English or some shit, like they wouldn't just play it straight and earnest like Swinton did.

So instead of only putting Asian actors in mystical kung fu roles we'll just exclude them from everything altogether? It's a bunch of fucking nonsense.

duckroll

People seem to think an Asian actor is automatically consigned to walking around with buck teeth and speaking broken English or some shit, like they wouldn't just play it straight and earnest like Swinton did.

So instead of only putting Asian actors in mystical kung fu roles we'll just exclude them from everything altogether? It's a bunch of fucking nonsense.

I think the worst thing about entertainment is how they have skewed the perception of America in particular. I'm personally guilty of it myself, and I'm not an American. I'm an Asian guy living in Asia, and when I think of Danny Rand as potentially an Asian American born and raised in NYC, as a son of an Asian American businessman, who in his teens is stranded in a strange Mystic Asian world and taught super martial arts, only to return to America to reclaim his father's company.... I just don't see it. I don't know why. It makes sense when I think about it. This could be something that really happens because there are successful Asian Americans who are no less American than any other American. They speak fluent English and the only thing that makes them different is the color of their skin. But yet it seems a bridge too far. It feels like perceptions and expectations in popular media have created this ceiling for audience. Am I off base?

This sounds pretty samey, boring and awful...

Also why are some peoplw bringing up DC? Reference to somerhing they did I'm not getting?

LionPride

Banned

With how Iron Fist has turned out...I kinda feel like some fuck shit would've happened with an Asian Ancient One

DeathyBoy

Banned
MotherFUCKER.

How do you fuck that up? You'd think that Buck and the writers would actually keep an eye on any potentially racially tinged BS, considering how they've been facing a racial controversy since the beginning.

It's not just that, but the clear pay-off to that scene is Colleen challenging Danny to a fight there and then and taking him down without breaking a sweat. I mean it's the third episode for fuck sake, there's nothing wrong with humbling the 'hero.'

Mario007

I just don't understand how Marvel fucked this up? This is DC levels of incompetitency (if the reviews are right, I'll stick watch to form my own opinion tho).

Like seriously, after Iron Man, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Daredevil, Dr Strange, after all those guys, Iron Fist should've been easy.

DC actually knows how to write for television as opposed to all the Marvel stuff. This is just icing on the top of the awful that is Marvel TV.

I think the worst thing about entertainment is how they have skewed the perception of America in particular. I'm personally guilty of it myself, and I'm not an American. I'm an Asian guy living in Asia, and when I think of Danny Rand as potentially an Asian American born and raised in NYC, as a son of an Asian American businessman, who in his teens is stranded in a strange Mystic Asian world and taught super martial arts, only to return to America to reclaim his father's company.... I just don't see it. I don't know why. It makes sense when I think about it. This could be something that really happens because there are successful Asian Americans who are no less American than any other American. They speak fluent English and the only thing that makes them different is the color of their skin. But yet it seems a bridge too far. It feels like perceptions and expectations in popular media have created this ceiling for audience. Am I off base?

I'm Puerto Rican and don't speak a lick of spanish, don't know my people's culture all that well, and never visited the island for more than a day. I don't consider Puerto Rico to be my home, in fact the days I set foot on the island I considered myself a foreigner. The whole "fish out of water" trope isn't just exclusive to white people.

PsychBat!

Banned
I didn't think people were still mad about the casting of the Ancient One. Just shows how much I've been paying attention to it post release.

DC actually knows how to write for television as opposed to all the Marvel stuff. This is just icing on the top of the awful that is Marvel TV.

Marvel TV is so so in my book as I have left Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter long time ago.

I got pretty bored up to halfway into Jessica Jones but it got good towards the end.

I enjoyed Luke Caged even though the fact that I know many guys that disliked it.

Daredevil seems like the best of the bunch so far but I will keep my judgement until the end of Iron Fist

KonradLaw

So............it's like a DC show?

Yeah..no. DC shows have their problems, but being slow is not one of them. And seriously.. fricking Arrow managed to somehow crawl back from the depths of hell and is now the best superhero show on air.

KonradLaw

It was so easy. The comedy goddamn wrote itself. Turn the fucking Mighty Whitey shit on its head by constantly mocking it and making all the K'un L'un natives better at martial arts and shit than Danny. Have him constantly out of his depth (even has talented as he is) and him scraping by through a combination of luck and wit. The only thing he's got going for him is the goddamn superpower shit. That and his real power is that he just doesn't fucking give up. Knock him down, bloody and beaten, and he'll get up again with another lame wisecrack.
But that's not really Iron Fist if he's not the best fighter around.
Anyway, personally I don't think you could have asian Danny Rand. That character is largely defined by it's whiteness. So you could have made the show about other Iron Fist. But much better way would be to focus on Danny's whiteness instead of ingoring it. This character is constructed in such way that themes of privilege can be examined in interesting ways through him, without sacrificing what makes him the Danny we know from comics.

But it looks like they went for the worst third option, raising controversy without doing something interesting.

mcrommert

Banned
Wow. This sounds terrible. Seriously worse than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Luke Cage had a good first half, but that second half was just mediocre. And Jessica Jones... don't get me started. If Iron Fist is worse that both of those, geez. How Netflix? HOW!
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks Jessica jones is bad and not the best of all the shows so far is an unreliable source for anything

Blader

lufU5uJ.png

frXCyMo.png
The fact that Iron Fist's feminism only occurred to him randomly, months after he finished work on the show, probably means the show makes no big deal of it at all :lol

Slaythe

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks Jessica jones is bad and not the best of all the shows so far is an unreliable source for anything

That's not wrong, but that's only true thanks to Tennant and his scenes.

Everything else in the show was trash and he saved it, elevated the whole thing.

Now that he's killed off it's not like JJ has any hope of not being horrendous.

Cynar

That's not wrong, but that's only true thanks to Tennant and his scenes.

Everything else in the show was trash and he saved it, elevated the whole thing.

Now that he's killed off it's not like JJ has any hope of not being horrendous.
I'm reading so much wrong here. Tennant did a great job but the show was pretty awesome itself. I'm going to give this a chance and hope that GAF is just doing their usual knee jerk reaction and iron fist turns out good. I LOVE Iron Fist from the comics so let's hope it's good and true to the source material.

shingi70

Banned
I see alot of complaints but any reasons why they shouldn't have made Danny Asian American or bi racial Asian/white.

I mean people haven't complained about Polynesian Aquaman, black Walley West (at least the show version), Baron Mordo.

Cynar

Both Arrow and AoS this season have been fantastic. So I agree with the above, it took a few years for Arrow to rebound.
Arrow tanked again right after the break though. They are repeating the same mistakes.

I see alot of complaints but any reasons why they shouldn't have made Danny Asian American or bi racial Asian/white.

I mean people haven't complained about Polynesian Aquaman, black Walley West (at least the show version), Baron Mordo.
We've had entire threads on this. Please go to one of those. A race swap which is unneeded wouldn't save the show if it's as bad as they say it is and would defeat the point of the character if you knew anything about Iron Fist.

Anung

Un Rama
It's hard enough getting through a season when the quality drops let alone an actual bad season. So can one of you guys take the hit, watch the show and tell me all the good bits to watch?

shingi70

Banned
Arrow tanked again right after the break though. They are repeating the same mistakes.

We've had entire threads on this. Please go to one of those. A race swap which is unneeded wouldn't save the show if it's as bad as they say it is and would defeat the point of the character if you knew anything about Iron Fist.

Oh shit, if I knew anything of iron fist I'd know it would defeat the point of the character. Dear Lord whatever shall I do with my self.

Expect there was just talk trailer on the fact that the previews indicate the show ups the ante on the mighty whitey aspect which is fairly problematic. That said yes Danny for much of his run is personalized by him having a major white guilt complex and surrounding himself with minorities in an effort to get better.

That said an Asian American Danny could have served many of the same purposes" and you probably could have gotten a bit more out of the fish out f water premise in 2017.

And please don't come with if you knew anything bullshit. This is the fucking MCU and last time I checked.

Pepper Potss hasn't married Happy Hogan
Ultron wasn't built by Hank Pym
Luke Cage never had a brother and he was never a former disgraced cop.
Captian America didn't show up to punch purple man in the face.
Secert Warriors weren't reunited by fury to fight skrulls
Black Oantherw father wasn't killed by Man ape.
The Achient One was never a white woman.

And yet all that's hit was changed because it's an adaption.

I do agree that a race change wouldn't save the show from being bad.

This sounds pretty samey, boring and awful...

Also why are some peoplw bringing up DC? Reference to somerhing they did I'm not getting?

Nah, DC and Marvel are like yin and yang, can't talk about one without the other apparently.

It's funny how even comic book sales come down to a wankfest over which one is selling better instead of comparing how the industry is doing year over year, just like fucking console wars.

Every fan of super heroes should be bummed when an adaptation stumbles, especially when it's the first time a character is being adapted.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'd rather have Iron Fist be Netflix Marvel's first misstep than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Can you imagine if those shows were bombs? "See, we told you women and minorities can't carry shows/movies!"

Iron Fist will shrug this off and the Netflix MTVU will continue on. I'm still going to give it a go, but this was the show I was the least interested in from the get go. Iron Fist is a cool concept, but I just don't care about Danny "I am Oliver Queen" Rand. He's fun in Ultimate Spider-Man, though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'd rather have Iron Fist be Netflix Marvel's first misstep than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Can you imagine if those shows were bombs? "See, we told you women and minorities can't carry shows/movies!"

Iron Fist will shrug this off and the Netflix MTVU will continue on. I'm still going to give it a go, but this was the show I was the least interested in from the get go. Iron Fist is a cool concept, but I just don't care about Danny "I am Oliver Queen" Rand. He's fun in Ultimate Spider-Man, though.

asians though :[

Yeah..no. DC shows have their problems, but being slow is not one of them. And seriously.. fricking Arrow managed to somehow crawl back from the depths of hell and is now the best superhero show on air.

While I stand by my statement that Gotham has had the highest high this season
giphy.gif

Arrow has definitely solidified its season as the best especially after dat reveal.

(Though Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider was the 2nd highest)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
asians though :[

I had actually hoped that they'd cast a young Asian actor to play Danny Rand. I thought it'd have been awesome. Sure, you walk the tight rope of the Asian martial artist, but I want to see more Asian leading men as much as I do black dudes and women. So what if an Asian guy learns to be Iron Fist? So we just exclude Asian people from being protagonists in Asian themed stories because stereotypes? How about we just don't write them as stereotypes?

For me, personally, I've never been a fan of the "white dude enters 'strange' and 'exotic'culture, and within weeks/months, becomes the hero they needed, may, deserved! Usually defeating the indigenous bad guy who has lived and breathed the culture his entire life, being bested by the newb, because destiny or something." I hate that plot in general, but in recent years, I've particularly taken a dislike to it.

Mainly because it's boring and uninteresting at this point. I was excited for a potential "Heroes for Hire" Netflix show, but if Jones isn't interesting as the character or is bland, I can't see how he'll bounce off of Coulter.

Also, what's with the JJ and Cage hate? Those shows were really good, if flawed. I loved them. Daredevil season 2 was mostly good, like 90% good, with a few weak moments. Overall, the four seasons of Netflix TV released so far has been damn good tv. I'm going to watch Iron Fist for myself, because I like to make up my own mind about shit, but I never went in expecting much to begin with.

I hear the same thing, but it always disappoints me. Stopped trying after season three. I don't think the show is for us.

I agree. I finally threw in the towel with the Ghost Rider Arc. It's just...not for me. Kind of annoyed I invested 4 seasons worth of episodes into it, but I kept hearing how good it is now, and jumping back on it and going, "Really?" I'm finally moving on. No "Agents of S.H.I.T." from me anymore. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom