• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Iron Fist Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think Danny's origin story has been cannibalized by a combo of Batman Begins, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange - which just came out less than six months ago. The writers were kind of screwed here: either deviate from the comics and invent a new background, or stick to what's a pretty well worn story now.

It's weird though, if the show is not as interested in Kun'Lun as I feared - they avoided repeating the mystical Asian-inspired city of learning that Doctor Strange utilized, but then still went full steam ahead with the "rich and privileged hero brought low" aspect.

Guess we'll see how bad they mangled it but maybe they should have just skipped Danny's origin entirely, it's just not interesting without a fucking dragon being in it.

jmood88

I think what is going on is critics are finally starting to hold these shows to higher standards. Early on it was easy to forgive pacing issues because 'binge' watching was new territory, but it's been 4 years since House of Cards. I know for myself I've been slowly falling out of enjoyment of a lot of these streaming only shows. Even the Amazon Prime show with Bryan Cranston was severely flawed despite the cast.
Or it could be that there was no reason for critics to look for an "excuse" to talk bad about the shows because they didn't believe the shows were bad and Iron Fist just isn't a good show. Crazy idea, I know.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is both disappointing and not very surprising.

Kaibutsu

Wait, how am I just now finding out that they took all the magic and mysticism out of this fucking character? Out of all the marvel characters so far in film outside of Dr. Strange he is literally the most magical...

edit: about his fucking powers
He literally got his fucking powers but plunging his fists into the molten heart of a fucking dragon!

Blader

It's weird though, if the show is not as interested in Kun'Lun as I feared - they avoided repeating the mystical Asian-inspired city of learning that Doctor Strange utilized, but then still went full steam ahead with the "rich and privileged hero brought low" aspect.

Guess we'll see how bad they mangled it but maybe they should have just skipped Danny's origin entirely, it's just not interesting without a fucking dragon being in it.

Well Kun'Lun and the dragon is still part of the show, isn't it? I'm guessing it's just brief background flashes than a full-on telling of that story, a la Batman or Strange.

I'm sure they didn't have the budget to go full Kun'Lun/Immortal Iron Fist, but I think they flipped their priorities in the wrong direction here - if they were to drop or deemphasize any part of the origin story, it should be Danny as a douchey (ex-)billionaire, which Batman, Strange, Arrow, and Iron Man have all done. The Kun'Lun stuff might be treading some old ground in some respects, but the billionaire playboy angle has been done literally four times already in the last few years. :lol

The way I see it, shit must be really wry for critics to finally start blasting a Marvel/Netflix product, specially after all the lauding of horribly flawed (if not downright rotten) series like JJ, Daredevil and Luke Cage.

Laugh all you want, but the Hand was already heads and shoulders above 80% of JJ's plot (and specially anything that had to do with her neighbours) and the utter garbage of Luke Cage's second arc. Lame as it was, Elektra wasn't nearly as bad as some people make her out to be.

WHAT ABOUT THE GROUP

Or it could be that there was no reason for critics to look for an "excuse" to talk bad about the shows because they didn't believe the shows were bad and Iron Fist just isn't a good show. Crazy idea, I know.

The reviews of streaming first shows have shifted. They used to get knocked a bit, but always had positive marks to still check them out. I'm seeing more and more reviews now point out flaws with shows, even stuff like Stranger Things got knocked. I just think there is a higher standard now where you can't just get by on hype and new territory.

LionPride

Banned
Hold up, the Hand shit was what I expected it to be, which was corny af. JJ keot me interested from the jump, still their best Netflix show.

JJ
Luke Cage
Daredevil Season 1
Daredevil Season 2

Dat SHIELD tho...it's the best

link1201

Not good :(

I hope they begin to shorten the season length on these. I think you'd be able to tell some really great tight stories in 8 hrs or so without all the filler. I couldn't even make it through Cage it got too silly for me. I think they should go the mini series route instead of trying to do a full length show.

Blader

This bit from Sepinwall's review:

But after the non-fighting elephant in the room, the biggest problem with the new show is that no one involved seems to have any kind of take on the material. They’re just making a mostly faithful but personality-free adaptation because someone at Marvel decided four years ago that Danny (who often partners with Luke in the comics) had to be the final member of the team. If that big announcement hadn’t been made in advance, maybe Marvel execs would have waited for the best pitch on one of their many street-level characters, whether it was moving up the time table for the planned Daredevil spinoff with Jon Bernthal as the Punisher, or even recognizing the great utility work Dawson had done on the other series and taking a gamble on a full-fledged version of Night Nurse. Instead, we got a show that’s so lifeless that I have no interest in finishing out the season; if there are important story points that wind up carrying over into The Defenders, I’ll have to figure it out as I go, because life’s too short.

Reminds me of the early reports about how Marvel was having such a hard time finding a showrunner for Iron Fist because they couldn't find someone who could crack the material and a great take on it. Sounds like Buck was, maybe unsurprisingly based on his Dexter run, was not that guy either. Which also puts a big worrying question mark on Inhumans now, too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This bit from Sepinwall's review:

Reminds me of the early reports about how Marvel was having such a hard time finding a showrunner for Iron Fist because they couldn't find someone who could crack the material and a great take on it. Sounds like Buck was, maybe unsurprisingly based on his Dexter run, was not that guy either. Which also puts a big worrying question mark on Inhumans now, too.

The fact that Inhumans just started filming right before these reviews hit is probably going to create some drama behind the scenes at Marvel and IMAX. I wonder if they might try to make some changes in regards to Buck, especially if this show is a complete disaster?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dat SHIELD tho...it's the best

aae581f1895616c3c2e3b450a9385c0a.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Aside from Bernthal as Frank Castle, Malcolm is the only other well written character on any of these shows.

Cottonmouth was great too, but a lot of that was Ali's work.

I think he meant the brother and sister characters, not Malcolm.

(At least I hope. I liked Malcolm a lot. He's actually my fiancee's favorite character in JJ.)

Ugh.

THIS was the series I was looking forward to the most after Daredevil.

I can't begin to express my disappointment that they messed up Iron Fist.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Malcolm is cool, although I'd say that he's much better portrayed and *characterised* than written per se.

The siblings, though... I don't even want to think about Robyn and Ruben.

The fact that Inhumans just started filming right before these reviews hit is probably going to create some drama behind the scenes at Marvel and IMAX. I wonder if they might try to make some changes in regards to Buck, especially if this show is a complete disaster?

It's not too late to change, but honestly, they saw the dailies of Iron Fist and went "Yep, Buck's our guy!" so Jeph Loeb's judgment is back to crap.

ryseing

Hopefully this means that Marvel will take a different tack post Defenders. Personally, I think they should take a look at Legion and realize that they have a property that is Legion and Batman combined.

What I'm saying is give us a Moon Knight show and use it as a vehicle to tell different stories that wouldn't fit in their other shows.

Xater

Reading that even the action is bad is such a bummer.

How can the action in Daredevil be so good, but suck in basically every other Marvel show? Even the action in Luke Cage bummed me out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe it will be the reverse of other Marvel Netflix series and the first half is really lackluster but the second half is really good! We can hope right?

DeathyBoy

Banned

How can the action in Daredevil be so good, but suck in basically every other Marvel show? Even the action in Luke Cage bummed me out.

Daredevil action was lit so darkly half the time I had no idea what was going on.

Punisher jail fight was amazing though

Wow. This sounds terrible. Seriously worse than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Luke Cage had a good first half, but that second half was just mediocre. And Jessica Jones... don't get me started. If Iron Fist is worse that both of those, geez. How Netflix? HOW!
Well JJ was by far the best of them, with LC a close second, sooo...

WarRock

Seriously. Would be better if he just woke up with amnesia in the middle of the street, got picked up by Cage and started doing shit together.

Then on Defenders he meets Stick that explains he came from K'un L'un and we got a hook for a season 2.

Kaibutsu

I'm not particularly excited, because I think it's gonna be hard as fuck to top Kilgrave.

Honestly the thing I'm most excited about in a Jessica Jones season 2 is
developing the relationship and the eventual marriage with Luke Cage

Pachimari

So there's not even a villain. At least in the first six episodes.

I guess it's all gonna come down to The Hand and Madam Gao in the latter half?

I've never listened to internet critics and from some light research this show seemed like it was steeped in controversy from the casting, Are online sites doing a hit job on Marvel/Netflix because of this ... I hope not, it would be a shame if reviewers where that shallow. But i dont think that the people at Netflix and Marvel could be so blind as to let something with such low quality be released, especially when they are trying to cement their heels into big budget TV shows. Something tells me this will be a fans love but critics hate type of show..

Blader

Not sure if they're sharing the same choreographers or not (since the DD showrunners are doing the Defenders, it's possible their stunt crew is also working on that show and wasn't available for Iron Fist). But DD also has the benefit of a lead who's dressed in either full black or dark red from head to toe, so it's easy to bring in a stunt double for the action and not make it obvious that it's not really Charlie Cox doing all of the fighting. In Iron Fist, Danny Rand is in civvies the whole time and Finn Jones is not a martial artist, so it's harder to get away with it.

I've never listened to internet critics and from some light research this show seemed like it was steeped in controversy from the casting, Are online sites doing a hit job on Marvel/Netflix because of this ... I hope not, it would be a shame if reviewers where that shallow. But i dont think that the people at Netflix and Marvel could be so blind as to let something with such low quality be released, especially when they are trying to cement their heels into big budget TV shows. Something tells me this will be a fans love but critics hate type of show..

I've only read Sepinwall's review so far but I don't think he spent a single word on any racial element in the casting. His criticism is completely trained on the quality of the writing, the pacing, the action, the performances...virtually everything BUT the casting controversy.

Yeah I'm always surprised to see JJ get slammed here. That was by far the one I enjoyed the most and I can't wait for it to come back.
It seems JJ gets the most effusive praise in media but then on forums it gets the most rabid hate as well. I hate to chock it up to a female lead but I dunno what else to think.

How anyone could say either season of DD was better is beyond me. Outside the Old Boy and Raid type fight scenes DD had as much substance as cardboard.

LC started off with a bang and I agree with other posters here that when they
killed off Cottonmouth
it took a dive.

First misstep?

Lol OK
lets pretend JJ and LC were good

They shit all over DD.

Agents of SHIELD is better than all of them, though.

I suppose there had to come a weak link eventually, but the sense that this show isn't just that and is a complete bust is disappointing.

Guess Marvel couldn't be perfect forever.

Won

I already didn't bother with Luke Cage, so I guess I will skip this too. I feel they need to be much more bold with the formula and mix things up much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom