• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Iron Fist Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hear the same thing, but it always disappoints me. Stopped trying after season three. I don't think the show is for us.

The second half of season 3 had some large issues. Season 2 was great though and season 4 has made it the best comic show on TV.

(I haven't seen Legion yet but that just started.)

Rymuth

I had the same reaction with Diamondback, even if they are fundamentally different characters and portrayals. He's the corniest motherfucker in the Marvel universe, but the actor realised it and hammed it up. I'm ok with that. He could have been a terrific addition to DC's TV-verse in a way.
No amount of ham could've saved Diamondback's God-spiel. Only time I felt I saw a flash of something that might've worked was when he dropped the faux-lofty dialogue here and there.

These reviews man, yikes. Damn shame too as this was the solo show I was most looking forward to out of the four Defenders.

Maybe in a crazy twist this show improves in the latter half.
Not holding my breath =/

When they first announced the Marvel Netflix shows, this was the one I was looking forward to most. Slowly but surely my hype has been dropping. Now I'm not evenlooking forward to it anymore. I loved Daredevil S1 and S2, thought JJ and Cage were okay.

Zero315

Banned
- Daredevil S1 - One of the best if not, the best comic book show ever even with it's flaws.
- Daredevil S2 - WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

I keep seeing this, but the bad of DD season 2 was already there in the first season. Anything to do with Kingpin and the girl he was obsessed with was just fucking terrible. Plus the terrible looking suit at the end, Foggy's actor being awful, the forced romance between Foggy and Karen when there was no chemistry between them. People really hold season 1 on too high of a pedestal.

This is just depressing though. How do you fuck up the action in an Iron Fist show?! I knew that interview that came out not too long ago about Iron Fist not wearing the costume at all was a giant red flag.

My wait for an adaptation of a Matt Fraction comic continues...

DAMN YOU, SCOTT BUCK!!!

This is the one I was most looking forward to, too.

All I wanted was some fun, stylish 70's-inspired kung fu storyyelling and a guy in a cool mask who knows martial arts. Thats it.

fauxtrot

Banned
It wasn't hard to predict that Danny Rand wasn't gonna work for his series or The Defenders / a potential Heroes for Hire season without him being a scrappy, charismatic character that can be a big part of a show's comic relief. Cage/Colter works best when being supported by a strong foil, and Murdock isn't exactly known for livening up scenes, so I guess JJ will be doing the heavy lifting regarding the levity of The Defenders? Going by her series, I don't even know how that'd work... we'll see!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Every year I read AoS getting better, hitting it out of the park, being good finally.
Every year I go back and try to give it a fair chance. Every year I'm disappointed.
Will this finally be the year where people are right?
Too bad about IF though hope it has some saving graces cause I think the assessment is right I'll try to make it through because of defenders unless it's going to be incredibly bad.

I hear the same thing, but it always disappoints me. Stopped trying after season three. I don't think the show is for us.

you definitely aren't alone. i feel like i'm on earth 2 and my AOS is completely different from the one people keep saying is getting better and better.

The second half of season 3 had some large issues. Season 2 was great though and season 4 has made it the best comic show on TV.

(I haven't seen Legion yet but that just started.)

I only watched Legion's pilot so far but nah man, that's got the crown. Nothing else comes close.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I had no problem with Diamondback. Super over the top and entertaining. Once I was able to get past the change in tone, I still loved the show.

And really, one character in a large universe of TV shows and movies certainly isn't enough to make me say, "Fuck this!"

Nah, I think MCU is great the vast majority of the time. Can't all be winners though.
I agree. I don't get the diamondback hate.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
who knew people want super heroes in their super hero show

I know, its wasted time since this is our new Marvel Netflix Meme, but I think from the characters they choosed, the way they were represented, the adaptions matched with the requierements? Iron Fist can work as a Streetlevel show pretty good.

JimiNutz

Banned
GODAMMIT!! Out of the netflix slate, Iron Fist is the series I was looking forward to the most right after Daredevil, but they just had to fuck this up!!

Iron Fist was the only Marvel Netflix show I was looking forward to period. I kind of knew it was gonna be shit when I saw the casting and the first trailer but it's still sucks to have my suspicions all but confirmed.

Didn't think I'll even bother to watch an episode.

At least Daredevil is decent.

caliph95

I know, its wasted time since this is our new Marvel Netflix Meme, but I think from the characters they choosed, the way they were represented, the adaptions matched with the requierements?
It at least makes sense with the other heroes and they at least were going for a theme fo JJ and Cage. With Iron Fist though without the Kungfu and magic stuff he is just Batman or Arrow.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It at least makes sense with the other heroes and they at least were going for a theme fo JJ and Cage. With Iron Fist though without the Kungfu and magic stuff he is just Batman or Arrow.

When he is attached to Luke in Heroes for Hire it can also work for Iron Fist IMO. Also, that the show is not "superhero-y" enough doesnt seem like the problem here.

ZeroX03

Banned
Luke and Danny aren't going to have the chemistry we need, let's be honest. I've abandoned all hope for that team up which should've been glorious.

Carn82

I keep seeing this, but the bad of DD season 2 was already there in the first season. Anything to do with Kingpin and the girl he was obsessed with was just fucking terrible.

Hmm, I actually liked all the Kingpin stuff, same for S2. D'Onofrio is great. Sure, it has a lot of ham, but I actually cared more for his arc than for some of the 'good guys'.

But a Punisher series was the best thing S2 brought us, I hope they don't screw that up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp, not unexpected. Will still watch tho :/

HotHamBoy

E28A37z.gif

Fbh

Man these Netflix Marvel shows keep going downhill.

DD 1 was awesome. Season 2 was only OK
JJ S1 was only ok
Luke Cage started strong but had a terrible second half
And now Iron fist is pretty much bad from the start.

El Topo

That sucks.

you definitely aren't alone. i feel like i'm on earth 2 and my AOS is completely different from the one people keep saying is getting better and better.

I think it's really just that the only remaining people are the hardcore fans.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shame. I enjoyed DD1, DD2 and JJ. Haven't watched LC yet. Was expecting better from Iron Fist at first, but the writing was on the wall with the promos and interviews.

Drifters

Honestly, by these reviews, this will somehow go on to be a cult classic that by some measure doesn't follow the Marvel cheese and has a deeper meaning only if you find it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Iron Fist just looked like it had no unique angle to really pull from.

Daredevil has both urban crime/mob shit covered, whilst also having ninjas and vague spiritualism.

Jessica Jones has the detective angle, a unique female lead, and the stalker/thriller angle.

Luke Cage was another urban crime story but from an african american perspective, some crime lord politicking, with a bit of science-fictiony superpower stuff.

What does Iron Fist have?

Ummm white guy is good at martial arts? Oh that's Daredevil. Rich guy comes home to take control of company again? Oh that's Batman and Iron Man. Spent years learning skills in non-descript East-Asian country? Oh that's Batman again, or Doctor Strange.

I love Immortal Iron Fist as much as anyone, and that has some awesome stuff. But the approach to this show seems there's nothing that hasn't been seen before.

RangerX

Banned
Genuinely going to give this a miss. I couldn't even finish Luke Cage. Pubisher is all I'm looking forward to atm.

caliph95

Iron Fist just looked like it had no unique angle to really pull from.

Daredevil has both urban crime/mob shit covered, whilst also having ninjas and vague spiritualism.

Jessica Jones has the detective angle, a unique female lead, and the stalker/thriller angle.

Luke Cage was another urban crime story but from an african american perspective, some crime lord politicking, with a bit of science-fictiony superpower stuff.

What does Iron Fist have?

Ummm white guy is good at martial arts? Oh that's Daredevil. Rich guy comes home to take control of company again? Oh that's Batman and Iron Man. Spent years learning skills in non-descript East-Asian country? Oh that's Batman again, or Doctor Strange.

I love Immortal Iron Fist as much as anyone, and that has some awesome stuff. But the approach to this show seems there's nothing that hasn't been seen before.
the direction seems to be basically Arrow-lite.

What a shame. Was looking forward to some Marvel awesomeness again. Let's hope this is just one misstep because so far I have liked all Marvel Netflix shows a great deal.

gforguava

Honestly, by these reviews, this will somehow go on to be a cult classic that by some measure doesn't follow the Marvel cheese and has a deeper meaning only if you find it.
Normally I'd hold out hope with this train of thought, people "not getting it" is a time honored tradition in genre fiction after all, but this is being handled by Scott Buck and that is a good enough reason for it just being terrible(assuming it is).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Shame, because Iron Fist was the one I was looking forward to after DD. You just become an Iron Fist fan if you read the Fraction/Bru run.

I already thought JJ was a trash heap and because of the less than stellar impressions I haven't started Cage yet. Shame these street level series are on a downward spiral, let's hope Punisher makes it back to DD levels of quality at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom