• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Screens (End of Summer delay confirmed)

Another_visitor said:
Because it's easier to bug test them & get a stable build to show to the press?

And it doesn't spoil the story events. They can show gamers and people previewing the game that the core gameplay works through these challenge rooms.

Another_visitor said:
Because it's easier to bug test them & get a stable build to show to the press?
Probably. But I want to know about how the story goes on, if it's got a good narrative and if, outside of the "danger room with bots" concept, the game works well as a good story experience. I hope they'll start showing it soon, this is actually one of my most wanted games.

DrBo42

New hands-on report over at Eurogamer

This time Eidos is showing off a more developed Batman from later in the game, and I'm guiding him through an "extreme" version of the first Combat room, Intensive Treatment, and an Invisible Predator section unlocked closer to the middle of the single-player campaign.

Complication stems from counters, the need to stun certain enemies with your cape-spin, and the availability of multipliers, throws and takedowns once you cross combo thresholds. Throws can be used to toss enemies over barriers or into electric fences, and the more elaborate takedowns bend backs and twist limbs to breaking point, the savagery of the spectacle matched ably by the grace of the animation and the wet crunch of fist and boot on muscle. Gadgets like the batarang and bat-claw trigger-button moves encourage experimentation, which is useful because you accumulate score bonuses for things like variety and avoiding damage. Both Combat and Invisible Predator feed into leaderboards, with global and friends filters, and the best scores will rely on those bonuses.

It's not just Batman with more to say though; the Joker's goon squad is out in greater force, and with new tricks for Intensive Treatment Extreme. Crowd control is ramped up as henchmen start to attack with lead pipes and go for a locked gun cabinet, which sounds a siren. With gunfire tearing Batman down so easily, it's important to keep their hands off it. Health regenerates between enemy waves, but only slightly, and the final opposition line-up gives you a knife-toting Victor Zsasz to worry about, forcing you to reach for cape-spin stun moves rather than traditional counters. Skill prevails, except I didn't have enough of it across half a dozen attempts.

But what's especially promising about Arkham Asylum is the things you don't immediately concentrate on as you compete for fast times and heavy combos: there's no slack in the economical controls, which allow you to dance around and disable enemies, and hunt with predatory poise through a minimum of button presses; the camera is right-stick controlled and seldom if ever gets in the way; and developer Rocksteady's use of the Unreal Engine not only articulates the steaming noir of Batmans of comic and screen, but delivers it with complete coherency. As a variation on the traditionally brutish Unreal aesthetic, it's stylistic enough to outstand lingering memories of both The Dark Knight and Gears of War, but polished enough to stand up to direct comparison. It is, overall, looking and feeling as significant as any other game we've previewed this year.

Edit: Wow I didn't even see that link above. Well here are the parts I found significant at least.

DrBo42

Evening ladies and gents. As I said earlier, there would be a character reveal tonight on GTTV. Turned out it was Harley Quinn! Check out the video of her in action (and Arleen Sorkin reprising her role) here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DrBo42 said:
Evening ladies and gents. As I said earlier, there would be a character reveal tonight on GTTV. Turned out it was Harley Quinn! Check out the video of her in action (and Arleen Sorkin reprising her role) here.
We should probably clear way before HK comes back and kills everything.

The game looks great but by god what have they done to Harley?

DrBo42

Nirolak said:

Yeah she's really the only character design I'm not wild about. Still, I guess it fits the style of Arkham Asylum pretty well.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Mario said:
1. weak currency
2. small market with high risk of overstocking
3. because stores can get away with it

Being a gamer is unfortunately a costly hobby here.
A-fucking men to that, current generation gaming prices down here are getting out of control.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DrBo42 said:
Yeah she's really the only character design I'm not wild about. Still, I guess it fits the style of Arkham Asylum pretty well.

Yeah, it's weird, I don't particularly like her design, but when put into context, it works...

Ah well, I'll kick her ass (by lack of the ability to anything else to her with that part of her body) anyway.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:

Her voice just doesnt fit the character model. I'm not too horribly disappointed though, I've sorta resigned that they fucked her up design wise. Still probably gonna need to kill a couple people to get over it...=(

It also highlighted my worry the script wont as good as the show, which had pretty damn good writing, and Quinn was fucking hilarious.

DihcarEM

mr_nothin said:
All of you suck.
There's nothing wrong with that design and it fits with the setting/atmosphere of the game.

Agreed, Harley looks good. People have complained about every character's look so far, including Batman and Joker.
The studio should continue making their game in their own vision.

Atomzzk! said:
Damn, that new costume doesn't fit Harley at all.. I don't like it one bit.

Reminds me of Jeanette from Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade
vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-20041116032225665.jpg

Nirolak said:

I actually like it. She surely doesn't look like the cartoon or comic character, but the new look is more realistic and dark. This Harley wouldn't have looked out of place in the Dark Knight movie.

The Harley Quinn design would be fine if...

#1 They lost the pigtails and gave her a jester's cap.
#2 They dialled the breasts back about three cup sizes.

Edit: #2 alone would probably be sufficient.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
I actually like it. She surely doesn't look like the cartoon or comic character, but the new look is more realistic and dark. This Harley wouldn't have looked out of place in the Dark Knight movie.
I'd say she looks less realistic in the context of the universe.

The boobs alone!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mr_nothin said:
All of you suck.
There's nothing wrong with that design and it fits with the setting/atmosphere of the game.

Oh no I suck. Dear me.

It doesnt fit her. Her normal costume has fit in any other art style she has been in. It didnt need a change to something thats a cross between Jeanette Voerman and BadGirl.

Shake Appeal said:

What's your beef with big, luscious breasts?

JudgeN

Shake Appeal said:

Her tits aren't that big, its just the push-up bra.

TheFallen

I don't mind the Harley change. It does fit the darker nature of the game. I like the re-envisioning of the characters that Wildstorm is doing, it's refreshing.

TheFallen said:
I don't mind the Harley change. It does fit the darker nature of the game. I like the re-envisioning of the characters that Wildstorm is doing, it's refreshing.

Same here, I think the design looks fine for this type of game.

Jon

I saw this game in action today at my local Gamestop, but unfortunately the employees were having so much fun with the demo I couldn't get a chance to play it myself. It looked reallllllly smooth. Batman could do some pretty cool attacks. The employee made it through the first two waves of enemies before I had to leave, so I don't know how long the demo lasts.

Chrange

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
I'm wondering why do they keep showing the Challenge Room mode... I want to know about the story mode!

Perhaps because some members of the gaming press have shown a complete inability to KEEP THEIR FUCKING MOUTHS CLOSED about major plot points? :lol

Dead Man

Shake Appeal said:

Agreed. The basic design is great, and fits the rest of world so far.

DrBo42

FINALLY some decent footage of the demo in stores. Check it out here.

Gotta say, love the look of the combat. Some of the counters look absolutely brutal and everything is so fluid. Cape movement is fucking awesome too. The fight at the very end with 10 enemies is epic.

Salami Inferno

Neo Member
I need to find a gamestop with that demo. I never thought I'd be this hyped for this game, especially after the reveal they had in game informer last year.

DrBo42 said:
FINALLY some decent footage of the demo in stores. Check it out here.

Gotta say, love the look of the combat. Some of the counters look absolutely brutal and everything is so fluid. Cape movement is fucking awesome too. The fight at the very end with 10 enemies is epic.
Niiiiice. They should put that up on the Playstation Store.

Ramenman

SolidSnakex said:
And it doesn't spoil the story events. They can show gamers and people previewing the game that the core gameplay works through these challenge rooms.

That's exactly what I think.

We can know if the gameplay is solid while whatever surprise events they may or may not have in stock for the story mode stays hidden.

The challenge rooms allow them to do like Quantic with Heavy Rain, create a separate scene for the press so that you can showcase without spoiling.

Aske

From that clip of the demo, the combat looks stylistically superb. Smooth and fluid and incredibly brutal, especially given the constraints of the T rating they're probably shooting for.

As for the art direction, I don't have strong feelings either way. I'm so used to seeing the Batman universe interpreted in wildly different manners that this particular take on the art feels par for the course - and I'm not even into the comics. Everything still feels like Batman, and it feels like good Batman - TAS/Burton/Nolan Batman. Sure, I'd have made some different aesthetic choices; but I'm so impressed that everything feels so right that it's hard to care about things like Harley's ridiculous costume or Batman's visible irises.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I wuv Harley Quinn design here , it fit the atmosphere of the game , if you want her TAS's design/outfit go watch the fucking animated series .

what next Adam West's batman design ? this game is based on the whole Series not The Animated Series , if they want to change character look to fit with the game style they should do that , Nolan did that with his batman movies .

the atmosphere here is just fantastic , it's so dark and so Cassandra Cain-ish more than Batman ..srsly we need games with Cassandra Cain n_n

anyway ..day one ..dunno if normal or CE , I kinda want the batarang but buying the CE mean I must sacrifice Prototype or Ghostbusters :(

Mohonky

Ronin said:
I REALLY like the animation on the cape.

I noticed that too in the videos, it just looks right. The way it floats out behind Batman and then falls and wraps around him seems to work.

I immediately wrote this game off months ago but the more I see of it the more I think it could be something of a surprise.

Xater

DrBo42 said:
2 videos went up at GameOne TV (Which is a German site). For some reason I'm not able to view, perhaps a German proxy is needed.

http://gameone.de/tv/101?part=5

http://gameone.de/tv/101?part=6

If someone can see and capture these, please do!

Ok I captured the stuff and uploaded it to Youtube. Don#t know how the quality will be though. Capturing a flash video and then Youtube processing might not look great. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64swfFxnLmc

Top Bottom