• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Screens (End of Summer delay confirmed)

Xater

DrBo42 said:
You're my hero, it looks great. Thanks Xater.

No problem. Maybe I should also mention translate some of the most important stuff:

- Tells it's own story but it has parallels to the graphic novel Arkham Asylum.

- In the video you see the Xbox 360 version.

- Fight system looks flashy but is quite simple. You should movew the stick in the direction of the enemy and hit the attack button.

- Batman is very vulnerable against bullets.

- You have to use the detective mode to find clues, take samples etc.

- Detective mode also helps to find secret ways through the asylum and scan for enemies.

- They really enjoyed what they palyed in the preview code.

- Release: July 6th 2009

- Game reminds them of Metroid: open world, you have to scan for stuff, use a grappling hook to get rid of ostacles and find secret tunnels to get through the world.

Twig

Banned
I don't even know the comics or cartoons that well. I've seen The Dark Knight, and some of the older Batman movies (which I don't remember at all).

I like almost everything I see here.

Except Harley.

mujun

Xater said:
No problem. Maybe I should also mention translate some of the most important stuff:

- Tells it's own story but it has parallels to the graphic novel Arkham Asylum.

- In the video you see the Xbox 360 version.

- Fight system looks flashy but is quite simple. You should movew the stick in the direction of the enemy and hit the attack button.

- Batman is very vulnerable against bullets.

- You have to use the detective mode to find clues, take samples etc.

- Detective mode also helps to find secret ways through the asylum and scan for enemies.

- They really enjoyed what they palyed in the preview code.

- Release: July 6th 2009

- Game reminds them of Metroid: open world, you have to scan for stuff, use a grappling hook to get rid of ostacles and find secret tunnels to get through the world.

reading this cements this as my 2nd most wanted game this year (after ufc 2k9).

DrBo42

I'm getting a little worried about detective mode. From that video it seems like there's no real challenge to it, everything is spelled out for you.

NameIess

This is starting to turn into an unexpected day one purchase...
I hope they release a demo, because that would confirm a day one purchase.

If they choose not to release a demo I may wait for some of the reviews to confirm my purchase.

NameIess said:
This is starting to turn into an unexpected day one purchase...
I hope they release a demo, because that would confirm a day one purchase.

If they choose not to release a demo I may wait for some of the reviews to confirm my purchase.
Tell me more about your purchase and the potential avenues it may take.

U K Narayan said:
I don't mind Harley's look too much.

Game is going to own.
I agree. I realize I'm in the minority, but the art style is bang on for me, visible irises (especially visible irises) and everything. For me it's a great combination of mixing some sense of realism with the exaggerated and stylized nature of comic book art.

Agreed ....I dig the art direction quite alot

In fact, I was wonderin' if someone knew what piece it was pulling it's looks from?

DrBo42 said:
I'm getting a little worried about detective mode. From that video it seems like there's no real challenge to it, everything is spelled out for you.
Yes, it seems developers can't make a really good detective mode in a game. For example I had high hopes for that in Condemned.

AgentOtaku said:
Agreed ....I dig the art direction quite alot

In fact, I was wonderin' if someone knew what piece it was pulling it's looks from?
I'm not sure if it's based on any specific comic, but I know I've read that the basic art design was being handled by Wildstorm (Jim Lee's DC-owned studio).

kizmah

Thanks for the vid Xater.

This just keeps looking better and better. It feels like a day one already. Any comparisons to Metroid is a huge plus as well.

Aske

DrBo42 said:

Hopefully the challenge will lie in knowing when to use it. If the game overwhelms you with suspicious looking items that turn out to be red-herrings, or doesn't always say "turn on detective mode here to progress" it could still make players work for the information in spite of all those obvious icons we see in the video. But I agree that it would have been nice if the clues were more subtle. It seems like you switch on detective mode to overlay the environment with giant 'CLUE HERE' captions, rather than a few judicious highlights that the player has to be mindful to register and then interpret correctly.

neight

Banned
I fear a lot of you are hyping yourselves to disappointment. I'm not expecting the gameplay to be anything but mediocre but I'm in it for the overall Batman experience with the awesome production values.

This game could be the worst thing to ever happen to gaming, but I would still buy it. For my inner Batman: The Animated Series fanboy, this is a godsend.

blindrocket said:
Yes, it seems developers can't make a really good detective mode in a game. For example I had high hopes for that in Condemned.
The early levels of Condemned 2 have well-implemented detective work. Then it all falls apart in hilarious fashion.

Dreavus

Vyse The Legend said:
This game could be the worst thing to ever happen to gaming, but I would still buy it. For my inner Batman: The Animated Series fanboy, this is a godsend.

This.

Seeing most (all?) of the original voice acting cast back from the old animated series is absolutely incredible. :D

952337_20090421_screen001.jpg

952337_20090421_screen002.jpg

952337_20090421_screen004.jpg

952337_20090421_screen005.jpg

952337_20090421_screen006.jpg

Interview with the games writer here

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/batmanarkhamasylum/news.html?sid=6208260

Ruprit

The first video is incredibly annoying, cept for the gyrating dude near the end :lol. The second video though, that sells the game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was sold when he just nonchalantly grabbed the leg of the dude trying to kick him from behind.

xray49er

They put this game in the ps3 kiosk at the bestbuy I moonlight at. I havent got a chance to play it but it looked and seem to run pretty good on the Ps3. If you guys have a bestbuy around you check it out it may be there as well

Guzim

I finally got the chance to play the demo today, and I liked it a lot. Gameplay was fun. I can't wait for it.

Wait a second! This game is coming out in June? I thought it had a Fall release date. I'm so glad that my information was wrong. I cannot wait to play this game. I am a little skeptical about it being good, but with the people involved like Paul Dini, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamil, and Arleen Sorkin I can't help but get excited. I will be paying close attention to this game and depending on how much money I have, I will be picking it up in June.

esbern

you know how i know this game is going to be fucking awesome? the only thing you kids can find to complain about is fucking Harley Quinn.

Top Bottom