• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Borderlands The Pre-Sequel Walkthrough Video based on Pax East demo

GamerSoul

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Borderlands-The-Pre-Sequel-Gets-16-Minute-Gameplay-Video-444018.shtml

I didn't see a thread so I wanted to share this video walkthrough with you guys. Youtube requires you log in so I though it would be easier to link a site but here's the direct link anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mdQHRMfTg

This is heavily based on the PAX East Demo walkthrough that was shown earlier in the year and features Athena the Gladiator (our character) and Wilhelm the Enforcer in coop play. They go into more detail about some of the new changes and abilities in the game. Imo, the low gravity, cryo and laser weapon types, etc really gives it a fresh feel.

Athena the Gladiator:
charimage_athena_xl.jpg

“Former leader of a secret branch of the Crimson Lance: The Omega Squad. An elite trained assassin and born leader. Athena fights on the frontline with her custom Aspis kinetic shield absorbing damage and defending her allies. She was born to lead, and does not suffer fools.”
– Matt Armstrong, Borderlands Franchise Director

http://borderlandsthegame.com/index.php/news/us-cosplay-character-guide

Nisha the Law Bringer
nisha-charguide-20140516-blogimage.png

“Nisha is tall, lean, and full of ornery. She’s the baddest girl in the Borderlands, with a mean streak a mile wide. But hell, at least she wears it with a smile.”
http://borderlandsthegame.com/index.php/news/us-nisha-cosplay-character-guide

Wilhelm the Enforcer
wilhelm-charguide-20140522-bigpic.jpg

“Wilhelm. Galaxy famous mercenary. Undefeated warrior. After an injury forced him to get a replacement mechanical eye, he becomes obsessed with the idea of upgrading through technology. When Jack offers him access to the greatest augmentation technology Hyperion has to offer, he joins without hesitation, oblivious to the loss of humanity he has doomed himself to.”

http://borderlandsthegame.com/index.php/news/us-wilhelm-cosplay-reference-guide

And then there's this guy who doesn't have a reference guide just yet.

A few notes from the video (there are so many)
  • 2k Australia and Gearbox are collaborating on the full stand alone title BL: The Presequel slated to release in the fall
  • Cryo guns allow you to freeze and shatter enemies when their health is low enough
  • Laser guns have been added and each manufacture has their own kind of laser
    [-]A Maliwan laser with a continuous stream and a Dahl laser with a fast firing rate was shown
  • O2 or "OZ" kits will be used since you are on Pandora's moon: Elpis (thin atmosphere/low gravity)
  • there will plenty of ways to get oxygen like from air geysers from the ground.
  • Joel mentions when deciding to add the oxygen system, they didn't want to add something annoying and a resource to manage but rather something that added new abilities
  • with the O2 you can perform double jumps, boost yourself forward (probably with a running start), ground pounds which can have a variety of effects depending on the OZ kit equipped
  • At this point, Jack is not the Hyperion CEO yet
  • The moon is Australian :3
  • Some type of creature, Kragon, was briefly shown at a distance
  • You can shoot off enemies oxygen bubbles and have them suffocate
  • Wilhem will visually changed as you progress through his skill trees.
  • The origin story, including Wilhlem of course, will be shown
  • Athena's Kinetic Aspis Action Skill will take in upcoming damage and deal it back (iirc twice the damage)
  • Some type of "Moonshard" can be seen around 8:31 and the description says it can be used to access better gear and unlock tougher challenges.
  • The Sting Ray hover bike vehicle was shown. Looks great.

UPDATE
IGN is doing a week of Borderlands The Pre-Sequel and one of the latest articles gives us some insight on Wilhem's Action Skill. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Wilhelm can definitely take care of himself, but even The Enforcer needs help from time to time. Luckily, in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, his action skill lets him call in two automated drones – Wolf and Saint.

When activated, the robotic pair darts into action. Wolf takes the more aggressive role of laying down fire on enemies. With that support, Wilhelm is free to roam around the battlefield and take out bad guys himself. When he wanders, Wolf will follow his lead and focus fire on the new targets.

Saint stays closer to Wilhelm and replenishes his health, and he also has a protective shield. The makes his skill useful in both offensive and defensive situations.

There a little more at the link.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/30/the-new-skills-of-wilhelm-the-enforcer

And the direct youtube link with the video demoing his skill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68U5Impc6o

Just in case you want to see everything the week entailed. Here's a link to the official forums with all the videos/links.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=373040

Nice video, but I really didn't like the O² mechanic. Never liked it in Lost Planet, didn't like that X for the Wii U had it, probably not gonna like it here.

The low gravity thing, however, I really liked.

First thing I noticed is the tag Garfep - isn't that the guy that was on IGN for awhile, was a tv/movie extra before that. He works for gearbox now?

GamerSoul

I like the moon setting. It gives the game a different vibe.

Nice video, but I really didn't like the O² mechanic. Never liked it in Lost Planet, didn't like that X for the Wii U had it, probably not gonna like it here.

The low gravity thing, however, I really liked.

I think they mentioned that there will be a variety of ways to get oxygen so it shouldn't be a problem. Here's hoping

lol @ the ending.

breakfuss

Yeah, I got a glimpse of this earlier. That anti-gravity stuff...idk. I also wonder how vulnerable you are to AI taking shots at your helmet and losing oxygen. The absorbent shield is cool.

I'd probably be less nitpicky if it was coming to PS4 :(.

Sciz

Looks like the oxygen mechanic is pretty forgiving. Can't stand the slow pace these demo videos keep playing at, though.

El_Chino

Would love to get this but to think it's not coming to either X1/PS4 kind of ruins it for me. Most of my pals have moved on to current gen

It's different enough to make me want to play it.
I'm a sucker for lootsplosion-type games. It's like junk food to me, I can binge on these for a month or so, then leave without wanting to return ever again.

Hope the loot is a bit more diverse this time, I want more guns with unique effects.

BigDug13

It's different enough to make me want to play it.
I'm a sucker for lootsplosion-type games. It's like junk food to me, I can binge on these for a month or so, then leave without wanting to return ever again.

Hope the loot is a bit more diverse this time, I want more guns with unique effects.

Maybe the different developer will mean fresh eyes and a fresh take on the loot system. Hopefully it's not copy/paste from BL2, because in the end, there were only a specific select few types of non-legendary gun and grenade types I ever used.

First thing I noticed is the tag Garfep - isn't that the guy that was on IGN for awhile, was a tv/movie extra before that. He works for gearbox now?

Yea Andrew Goldfarb he left IGN to work for gearbox awhile ago.

OT: I wanna see the Sheriff of Lynchwood game play since I plan on mainly playing as her when the game comes out.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I put tons of time into BL2 (over 7 days of game time I think), so obviously this is very high on my list. However I need to know that 2K Australia is up to the task of developing this game, since most of the outsourced gameplay in BL2 (some of the DLC) was pretty damn boring and soulless.

From what I've seen the game looks fun, but I think I'll wait on reviews before picking this game up.

Tenumi

Banned
Would love to get this but to think it's not coming to either X1/PS4 kind of ruins it for me. Most of my pals have moved on to current gen

Yeah, It's quite a bummer for me and my friends as well. They love the Borderlands series. We've got PS4s in preparation for Destiny, and our Xbox Live gold accounts are lapsing as we switch over to PS+. But we'll have to get a 3-month card or something so we can play this.

GamerSoul

the Sting Ray vehicle looks great. and in case you missed it you could revive team mates faster with oxygen.

so far they have shown one action skill and one skill branch so hopefully we'll see more at e3.

They're really going to regret not releasing on PS4/XB1 when the sales numbers roll in.

This. Plus I really don't see this doing well at all if it's released near Destiny's release. Which is a shame really, parts of it look pretty cool. I just think they missed their window to put out something like this and have it do well. Maybe if they charge $20 for it will do alright but if it's priced over $40 it's going to bomba hard.

I dunno this really seems like something they should have released last year as a dlc package or something.

Mugatu

Looks really fun - i like the new dynamics they showed and am looking forward to this. I still play Borderlands 2 all the time.

Orayn

Looks neat, I think Borderlands combat could really benefit from the higher jumps and new movement options.

Two things I'm really liking about the Pre-Sequel:

1) New moves -- high-jump and ground-pound. The more I played BL2, the more I was wishing for more ways to maneuver than just sprinting and jumping, especially when I'm having to face a ton of melee enemies at once. I hoped that Gearbox would take a page out of Unreal Tournament and give us wall-jumps or side-dashes or something in a future installment, but I'm pretty happy with what the Pre-Sequel is adding.

2) Elemental attacks with more effects than just "improved damage/DoT". Slag was a great addition to BL2, but I felt like it was a missed opportunity that the other elements -- burn, electric, corrosive -- had no other function than to inflict more damage against certain enemy types. So I'm glad to see that Cyro guns, with their ability to slow and outright freeze enemies, are looking to change that.

All in all, I'm basically buying this Day 1. Looking forward to this thing.

GamerSoul

Two things I'm really liking about the Pre-Sequel:

1) New moves -- high-jump and ground-pound. The more I played BL2, the more I was wishing for more ways to maneuver than just sprinting and jumping, especially when I'm having to face a ton of melee enemies at once. I hoped that Gearbox would take a page out of Unreal Tournament and give us wall-jumps or side-dashes or something in a future installment, but I'm pretty happy with what the Pre-Sequel is adding.

2) Elemental attacks with more effects than just "improved damage/DoT". Slag was a great addition to BL2, but I felt like it was a missed opportunity that the other elements -- burn, electric, corrosive -- had no other function than to inflict more damage against certain enemy types. So I'm glad to see that Cyro guns, with their ability to slow and outright freeze enemies, are looking to change that.

All in all, I'm basically buying this Day 1. Looking forward to this thing.

I totally agree with you. with the expanded options for movement it's going to make fire fights way more dynamic. I also like how oxygen rich environments will allow enemies too burn. it's a nice touch.

Ganrob

Neo Member
I'm actually burnt out on Borderlands. I loved the first one, the second one just didn't seem exciting to me anymore.

So I'll pass on this until I have more interest in a few years.

Quitsy

Neo Member
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it's Borderlands, on the other, it's looking a bit dull. I'll have to see more before I can decide if I'm interested in this or not.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oxygen system is much better than I was thinking. Seems pretty easy to recharge and its actually useful in ways, so I'm cool with that.

Only worry for me is that the setting becomes too repetitive. Borderlands 2 benefitted a lot from all the variety in environments and I fear this will be a step back in this regard.

I'm still looking forward to it, though.

EDIT: Oh, and Blim's got this vid up on Gamersyde. Its still only 30fps, but its gonna look better than the Youtube vid for sure.

Slayven

Iirc, the 2k guys were able to create a working prototype and they all liked it. Some have been saying it will replace Slag which probably has not been created before BL2. but only time will tell.

Slag was so damn useless, I hope this game gets good DLC support.

Pls dump the oxygen bs. It's not too late. This will ruin the game. You can have jump jets without this nonsense.

It's such a easily available resource that It likely won't even effect you. Enemies drop it, you can have players create bubbles of it. Every indoor area it naturally refills in and outdoor areas have generators and geezers in the ground

Zombine

Banned
So damn hyped up on this game. I love it when I get more depth to a universe I enjoy. New laser weapons look like a lot of fun.

I'd probably enjoy this a great deal, but I'd have a tough time dropping $60 for what is essentially a pallet-swap of BL2. It's more like a big expansion pack than a full-fledged game.

Orayn

I'd probably enjoy this a great deal, but I'd have a tough time dropping $60 for what is essentially a pallet-swap of BL2. It's more like a big expansion pack than a full-fledged game.

I think Randy Pitchford alluded it being smaller than BL2 and possibly not full-price. Hope it's the case.

Top Bottom