• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa 3 (PS4/Vita) Announced

The way to fill yourself in is to play the games. In the unlikely event that Shenmue 1 and 2 aren't available on any modern platform by the time Shenmue 3 comes out, you spend $10 on a Dreamcast and play the damn games.

Similarly, if the other 3 Danganronpa games don't get ported to PS4, you spend $20 on a PSTV and play the damn games.
Your making my point here. There is no reason why there should be an issue with this game coming out on the PS4.

Prelude.

It's a natural progression because almost no one owns a vita. They have a good franchise on their hands and want to bring it to a viable platform where it has a chance to reach the audience it deserves. I don't see why you would have an issue with it reaching a wider audience. In this day and age it's not difficult to find a way to fill yourself in on the franchise if you want to start playing it, without having to buy a platform that has been pretty much abandoned.
The assumption that more popular platform = more sales is extremely flawed for a game like Danganonpa. This isn't Final Fantasy, you won't get a bigger audience by putting it on a home console, this is forum logic based on nothing. VNs sell more on handhelds even in the west. The western ps4 audience is not their audience.

The assumption that more popular platform = more sales is extremely flawed for a game like Danganonpa.
This is a valid point but
VNs sell more on handhelds even in the west.
There's not much to really base this off of when there's been like one notable VN on a console in the West and only a few on handhelds. Visual novels are a super niche genre that's still finding where its audience is in the West and very few localized VNs have tested the waters outside of PC.

Prelude.

There's not much to really base this off of when there's been like one notable VN on a console in the West and only a few on handhelds.
Well, every VN-ish multiplatform game released so far sold more on Vita, stuff like TTGH and Xblaze. And from what we've seen of S;G, which is way more popular than Dangaronpa, the split is pretty one-sided.
very few localized VNs have tested the waters outside of PC.
PC would have been a better choice than PS4, that's for sure. Not that I think it would have dwarfed Vita sales, but it's certainly a more viable platform than the PS4.

Well, every VN-ish multiplatform game released so far sold more on Vita, stuff like TTGH and Xblaze. And from what we've seen of S;G, which is way more popular than Dangaronpa, the split is pretty one-sided.
We don't have numbers for any of this, and PS3 software sales have died in general so it's probably not representative of what an active home console would do.

PC would have been a better choice than PS4, that's for sure. Not that I think it would have dwarfed Vita sales, but it's certainly a more viable platform than the PS4.
I agree with that.

Prelude.

We don't have numbers for any of this, and PS3 software sales have died in general so it's probably not representative of what an active home console would do.
We have trophy data, which aren't representative of actual sales but pretty good at estimating the platform ratio.
And I don't think the PS3 "dying" has anything to do with that considering the japanese nature of this genre and how the PS4 is severely lacking in that regard. If you're into japanese niche games, you don't throw the PS3 away with that PS4 library.

Zalman

The assumption that more popular platform = more sales is extremely flawed for a game like Danganonpa. This isn't Final Fantasy, you won't get a bigger audience by putting it on a home console, this is forum logic based on nothing. VNs sell more on handhelds even in the west. The western ps4 audience is not their audience.
I've actually wondered why they don't try to put them on 3DS. It might be more work, but 3DS has proven to be a viable platform for visual novels worldwide. I think it would do great on it.

I've actually wondered why they don't try to put them on 3DS. It might be more work, but 3DS has proven to be a viable platform for visual novels worldwide. I think it would do great on it.
Are you just basing this off of VLR because the 3DS doesn't have many localized VNs that fall into the same market as Danganronpa. There's Hakuoki and Ace Attorney, but I'd argue that those have a different audience, especially Ace Attorney.

Darksol

I bet you anything Danganronpa 3 is the best selling of the series and the PS4 sales eclipse the Vita sales.

I bet you anything Danganronpa 3 is the best selling of the series.

Well ya, I mean it's not like it's obvious or anything that putting a game on more platforms means more potential sales. The question is more of what will be the split between Vita and PS4, because Vita hasn't exactly been weak in regards to sales for this series.

FluxWaveZ

I bet you anything Danganronpa 3 is the best selling of the series and the PS4 sales eclipse the Vita sales.

Danganronpa 3 would probably be the best selling in the series even if it was Vita exclusive, but it's mighty presumptuous to think the PS4 sales will eclipse Vita sales. This is the worst kind of game to make a prediction like that with.

Top Bottom