• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 Last Round character revealed

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I love fighting games.

Almost made it 1920x1080 but decided against it since I wouldn't be able to upload it anywhere.
KuGsj.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All those beach shots make me wonder

Do we have to wait until DOA6 for the reimplementation of sand deformation and snow deformation? I guess we have to wait for weather in general :/

I still find it annoying that DOAU2 on original Xbox has far better looking stages than DOA5 does. The 2D texture called sand that the feet clip through is just disgusting

raven777

Do we have to wait until DOA6 for the reimplementation of sand deformation and snow deformation? I guess we have to wait for weather in general :/

I still find it annoying that DOAU2 on original Xbox has far better looking stages than DOA5 does.

yea stages in DOA5 are a real big disappointment.

Hopefully DOA6 addresses stage visuals and overall IQ.

I still find it annoying that DOAU2 on original Xbox has far better looking stages than DOA5 does.

I'm bummed about this too. All the environment geometry i seriously flat and the textures are terrible even on obvious places like the fucking ground right under the characters. It's a huge difference in the quality of the fighters and the environment surrounding them. Some of the greyer, more colourless and industrial areas look especially bad.

Inuhanyou

yea stages in DOA5 are a real big disappointment.

Hopefully DOA6 addresses stage visuals and overall IQ.

Atleast the IQ part is being semi addressed with the jump to 1080p for the 8th gen port, but they seriously need to step up their game for DOA6 and really upgrade their shit. This port isnt pushing these consoles at all, that's just a matter of fact...

I'm bummed about this too. All the environment geometry i seriously flat and the textures are terrible even on obvious places like the fucking ground right under the characters. It's a huge difference in the quality of the fighters and the environment surrounding them. Some of the greyer, more colourless and industrial areas look especially bad.

Yeah its annoying because it looks like they have not bothered to upgrade any of the textures at all for the ports, even for the new areas only in this version. I get working on both gens will limit you but still...

As for the level design themselves, its further irritated by the fact that every area looks the same. Bland grey or bland brown. Even the forest areas are just dull to look at cause of the low resolution nature of everything.

Atleast the IQ part is being semi addressed with the jump to 1080p for the 8th gen port, but they seriously need to step up their game for DOA6 and really upgrade their shit. This port isnt pushing these consoles at all, that's just a matter of fact...

Yeah its annoying because it looks like they have not bothered to upgrade any of the textures at all for the ports, even for the new areas only in this version. I get working on both gens will limit you but still...

As for the level design themselves, its further irritated by the fact that every area looks the same. Bland grey or bland brown. Even the forest areas are just dull to look at cause of the low resolution nature of everything.

Totally agree.

Am I completely wrong remembering the DoA4 stages being far cooler? I even remember the sand on the beach level there actually had geometry and not just a flat ground.

raven777

Obviously they are being quite lazy with this port. I understand it's just HD port of last gen game but they didn't even bother to implement AA...

but with this Team Ninja I think the character model is the priority and they seem to put less focus on stages (which is usually the case with many Japanese developers) so I am worried this would be the case with DOA6 as well.

Obviously they are being quite lazy with this port. I understand it's just HD port of last gen game but they didn't even bother to implement AA...

but with this Team Ninja I think the character model is the priority and they seem to put less focus on stages (which is usually the case with many Japanese developers) so I am worried this would be the case with DOA6 as well.

I don't feel the DOA series has had a tradition for being lazy in the stages from DOA2 and on. They have always had big 3D stages with lots of detail compared to Tekken which long resorted in simply having a scrolling background that surrounded an infinite ground texture.

Inuhanyou

Totally agree.

Am I completely wrong remembering the DoA4 stages being far cooler? I even remember the sand on the beach level there actually had geometry and not just a flat ground.

I could make a whole thread on how DOA4's stages are far superior to DOA5's stages. Yes the visual stuff is missing. On DOA4 the sand deforms with the players movements like DOA3 and DOA2U, but in the DOA5 sand stages, the feet just clip right through the sand like in DOA2H for PS2 and DOA2 for Dreamcast...

But even beyond the visual things...in DOA4 levels in general they were a lot more imaginative. Like you could knock people through windows, knock them over obstacles, surf down the stairs on their bodies even. Every character had their own unique animation they would do when you threw them off the stars...it was just a lot more polished

raven777

I don't feel the DOA series has had a tradition for being lazy in the stages from DOA2 and on. They have always had big 3D stages with lots of detail compared to Tekken which long resorted in simply having a scrolling background that surrounded an infinite ground texture.

I meant this current Team Ninja (from DOA5 onward). I know Team Ninja when Itagaki was at the helm had great stages. But the new team under Hayashi is not putting much effort on stages.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I could make a whole thread on how DOA4's stages are far superior to DOA5's stages. Yes the visual stuff is missing. On DOA4 the sand deforms with the players movements like DOA3 and DOA2U, but in the DOA5 sand stages, the feet just clip right through the sand like in DOA2H for PS2 and DOA2 for Dreamcast...

But even beyond the visual things...in DOA4 levels in general they were a lot more imaginative. Like you could knock people through windows, knock them over obstacles, surf down the stairs on their bodies even. Every character had their own unique animation they would do when you threw them off the stars...it was just a lot more polished

DOA4 stages while pretty kinda did damage to the balance of the fights. DOA5 while visually inferior the stages are better grounded for a fairer match. They do need to improve the texture of the stages and colors but I rather keep gameplay balanced stages than some of the crap DOA4 had. The city stage with the cars hitting you and the dinosaurs crap to mention a few. DOA5 should look up to more for DOA3 stages which while simplistic at times had better quality than the recent designs.

Also the knock down stuff I feel they kinda wanted to do that extended with the Cliffhangers but they only used that in like 2 stages.

I dont mind much the stage stuff since DOA5 is the best game in terms of actual gameplay. DOA4 balance was terrible.

The city stage with the cars hitting you and the dinosaurs crap to mention a few.

I can see why people would think those elements suck but they are not a problem if you know how the game handle them, they are not random. I like the environmental hazards, they are part of DOA but maybe they should reduce the damage you take from them.

Inuhanyou

DOA4 stages while pretty kinda did damage to the balance of the fights. DOA5 while visually inferior the stages are better grounded for a fairer match. They do need to improve the texture of the stages and colors but I rather keep gameplay balanced stages than some of the crap DOA4 had. The city stage with the cars hitting you and the dinosaurs crap to mention a few. DOA5 should look up to more for DOA3 stages which while simplistic at times had better quality than the recent designs.

Also the knock down stuff I feel they kinda wanted to do that extended with the Cliffhangers but they only used that in like 2 stages.

I dont mind much the stage stuff since DOA5 is the best game in terms of actual gameplay. DOA4 balance was terrible.

I don't disagree 4 was fucked up balance wise(your not getting past alpha without redoing it 5 times after all)

But i think 6 should take the good points of 4, and the good points of 5, and mix them together with upgrades and brand new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0el5mtVQA

I just want them to return to these kinds of stages, especially 13:35, that snow level is the kind of environmental density i want to see, and that was on Xbox so it should not be hard

Galdelico

Is it known if the story mode will still be the same of vanilla DoA5?
With all these new characters (I'm counting in DoA5 Ultimate's entries too), it would've been the perfect chance to revamp it for its debut on new consoles.

I don't think they are changing the story mode.
Oh well, that's a shame but totally expected, considering TN business model for the game.

raven777

Is it known if the story mode will still be the same of vanilla DoA5?
With all these new characters (I'm counting in DoA5 Ultimate's entries too), it would've been the perfect chance to revamp it for its debut on new consoles.

I don't think they are changing the story mode.

Flowmoney

Nah, life's the real deal. You need to feel it to understand.

I am sorry man but I must hold my stance on this.Hometown is vastly superior in every way and has a lot more atmosphere to it.People look at life and go wow but when they turn to look at hometown , they can't even speak.

Man I hope this isn't legit argument

If I had to choose between the original and the imitation , of course I would choose the original!

Ninja Dom

So...it seems like everybody is happy with Honoko?? Excellent!!

Much more positive reactions than Tekken 7's new girl character.

alstein

The funny thing is DOA fans wouldn't have a problem with Chloe, and I think Honoka wouldn't have been poorly received by Tekken fans.

The funny thing is DOA fans wouldn't have a problem with Chloe, and I think Honoka wouldn't have been poorly received by Tekken fans.

Chloe would be a dumb edition in DoA too. I may not care for Honoka too much (as I find her a tad generic), and I don't hate her but, she still looks like a DoA character.

Ferr986

I guess its because of all the life she has. Still a lazy design, especially for the seemingly reusing of Marie's face.

Also, the Tekken girl looked like a mess design-wise. This is more safe (albeit you could say generic too).

Griss

No, I'm a DoA fan and I hated Chloe as much as anyone. She's a horrible design, and thank god we didn't get anything like her. I may not be a fan of Honoka but her overall look and mannerisms are vastly more pleasing to the eye than Lucky Chloe. I mean, I struggled to make it through Chloe's debut video. Something about her made my skin crawl, and I clearly wasn't the only one. I'm not adverse to fanservice, either, so I'm not sure what it was. A combination of her voice, the weird furry cosplay and 'Tekkenface' probably did it.

I don't disagree 4 was fucked up balance wise(your not getting past alpha without redoing it 5 times after all)

But i think 6 should take the good points of 4, and the good points of 5, and mix them together with upgrades and brand new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0el5mtVQA

I just want them to return to these kinds of stages, especially 13:35, that snow level is the kind of environmental density i want to see, and that was on Xbox so it should not be hard

Totally agree, I'd love that kind of density as you refer to in the Xbox video. They can have more plain stages for the competitive players, and the visually great once with lots of funny paths for the more casual players.

Top Bottom