• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Demon's Souls screens

Game looks good and has my interest.

I'm just worried about the gameplay. I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. The previous games Kings Field, how do they play? Is it simliar to oblivion?

DunpealD

Looks good and it's definitely on my radar, hopefully the asian version supports english extensively in non-don't-know-what-english.

The atmosphere in the pics and trailer are also interesting. Does anyone have an idea how the multiplayer works?

skybastos

Stumpokapow said:
Anyone anticipating this should really pick up King's Field PS2. I love it, but... uh... it's kind of a niche/divisive series and the disproportionately positive response to Demon's Soul makes me think a lot of people are in for a cruel awakening if they pick up this game.
Let's say that I like oblivion (crappy combat) and also liked Two Worlds (crappy framerate/freezes) will I like the game ? or the King's Field series are substantially different from these two ?

Loudninja

Demon Souls Japanese boxart

519y4dLctmL_SS500_.jpg

RpgN

DunpealD said:
Looks good and it's definitely on my radar, hopefully the asian version supports english extensively in non-don't-know-what-english.

The atmosphere in the pics and trailer are also interesting. Does anyone have an idea how the multiplayer works?

If you die, you can connect to soul connection (or something like that) and help others in a unique way. Like leaving clues and more. There's text chat but no voicechat last time I heard.

It certainly looks interesting to say the least. Hopefully we'll get more impressions soon ^_^

DunpealD

RpgN said:
If you die, you can connect to soul server (or something like that) and help others in a unique way. Like leaving clues and more. There's text chat but no voicechat last time I heard.

It certainly looks interesting to say the least. Hopefully we'll get more impressions soon ^_^

Good to know that there's text chat.

Still it'll be interesting to know how it exactly turns out. I mean it'd be kinda strange to only be able to get into the soul server after dying. Or how exactly "death" is managed.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I see nothing wrong with it in terms of graphics, the HUDs look a little plain but I can deal with that.

RpgN

DunpealD said:
Good to know that there's text chat.

Still it'll be interesting to know how it exactly turns out. I mean it'd be kinda strange to only be able to get into the soul server after dying. Or how exactly "death" is managed.

Well, I phrased that a little differently, you can send messages like PSN. I think they held chats off on purpose, since you become a wandering ghost. I'm not sure if you can be revived again. It's been a long time since I've read about it in the official site, so it's all vague to me.

I think the DSs thread has more info about it. You can summon demons, and you collect blood and all that kind of stuff.

PolyGone

Banned
this is like a nice looking Oblivion

34626mv.jpg

haha, check out the little charred corpses and (!!) the city in the background

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
skybastos said:
Let's say that I like oblivion (crappy combat) and also liked Two Worlds (crappy framerate/freezes) will I like the game ? or the King's Field series are substantially different from these two ?

The bad:
It's slow, there's virtually no NPC interaction (don't expect towns or dialog--this is just a SPARSE open world and bad guys), it's got a terrible frame rate, lame/low-fi audio, it's stupidly hard and unforgiving. There's no plot. This is not a modern RPG.

Visuals can be... very ugly.

The good:
The combat is deep and fulfilling, even though it's very clunky.

Visuals can be... sort of beautiful or perversely appealing.

If you're expecting the kind of user-friendliness of Oblivion or even Two Worlds, it's not in King's Field. King's Field is what I would call the most hardcore console RPG out there, probably.

Again, I'm not saying this stuff as a hater. I'm a fan. But this is not a holiday blockbuster kind of game. Like I said, try to find KF4 (KF: The Ancient City) for PS2, play it, and if it clicks with you, it clicks with you.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
One of my must anticipated titles. I know the Asian version has English, but I really want a N.A. release so I'm going to wait for a bit to see if there is word...

Though I'm still burned by not getting Shadow Tower: Abyss, so maybe I have to dive in and import. I've only ever done that once though.

I really wish we had gotten THE DARK SIDE BOX!!!

birdchili

Stumpokapow said:
The good:
atmosphere: king's field has always taken place in these lost cities or lonely abandoned places... there's a sort of slow, brooding melancholy about the games, with nifty understated plots - words scrawled into walls, eccentric minimalist characters and a sort-of general mysteriousness.

exploration: complementing the above is the fact that they play as fairly open exploration games - you often have large unexplored areas available to you, many of which are extremely perilous - usually with no indication of how dangerous they'll be until you take your first cautious steps inside. it makes for a really nice tension in new areas.

skybastos

Stumpokapow said:
The bad:
It's slow, there's virtually no NPC interaction (don't expect towns or dialog--this is just a SPARSE open world and bad guys), it's got a terrible frame rate, lame/low-fi audio, it's stupidly hard and unforgiving. There's no plot. This is not a modern RPG.
So there is no quests ? objectives ? and well about the framerate Two World literally freezes for a second or two so no problem there XD

I am not expecting a blockbuster title, just give me enough loot and a satisfying combat and I will probably enjoy-it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
birdchili said:
atmosphere: king's field has always taken place in these lost cities or lonely abandoned places... there's a sort of slow, brooding melancholy about the games, with nifty understated plots - words scrawled into walls, eccentric minimalist characters and a sort-of general mysteriousness.

exploration: complementing the above is the fact that they play as fairly open exploration games - you often have large unexplored areas available to you, many of which are extremely perilous - usually with no indication of how dangerous they'll be until you take your first cautious steps inside. it makes for a really nice tension in new areas.

Yes, I absolutely agree with both of these assessments. The "slow, brooding melancholy" is exactly what I'd use to describe them. Excellent word choice. I think it encapsulates both the strength of the series to fans and the reason why it's not mainstream.

dallow_bg said:
You've played it Stumpokapow?

King's Field? Played the 1st and 4th installments. Not this, but every indication points to this being a 3rd person King's Field and I'm just seeing hype for it that more befits a mainstream game than the sort of fare than From does with King's Field.

skybastos said:
So there is no quests ? objectives ?

Well, there sort of are. There are other characters, although not many of them. You do do quest-like things (giving items to characters, mainly). But, uh, really the game is an open exploration. "Quests" are one of the means by which you get from area to area. But it's not like Oblivion with towns and worlds and you're just a citizen living in the world. KF is a great wide open vacuum world that has a few placed NPCs who exist only to propel you further into the world.

I am not expecting a blockbuster title, just give me enough loot and a satisfying combat and I will probably enjoy-it.

Well you might well enjoy it. I really do like the series and if your taste matches the unique style of the series then awesome. I just wouldn't want anyone paying, say, $80+ to import and then go "OH MY GOD WTF IS UP WITH THIS WHACKY STUFF"

Honestly, most of the reviews of KF4 are pretty honest, regardless of score. The good ones explain that it's really not for everyone, the bad ones explain that although they gave it a bad score, it's rewarding if it clicks with you.

I would not recommend anyone against KF4 or Demon's Souls, I would just recommend people who seem interested in this and have never touched KF should find an installment and check it out as a way of testing the waters.

this is not King's Field though, it's spiritual successor for King's Field, I think one Sony guy said that he likes King's Field but want to change some things to make it better. I'm not expecting deep story here, but there seems to be quite a focus in boss battles or big monsters. do King's Field have those?

I'm pretty hyped from the trailer and screenshots, I'm ready even if it's just dungeon crawler. I really like immersion and atmosphere in my games and this game seems like it'd made with atmosphere as the main focus. as long as the combat is deep and tactical and not button mashing, I think I'll enjoy this game.

so, is my expectation in line with what the game might be?

Callibretto said:
this is not King's Field though, it's spiritual successor for King's Field, I think one Sony guy said that he likes King's Field but want to change some things to make it better. I'm not expecting deep story here, but there seems to be quite a focus in boss battles or big monsters. do King's Field have those?

I'm pretty hyped from the trailer and screenshots, I'm ready even if it's just dungeon crawler. I really like immersion and atmosphere in my games and this game seems like it'd made with atmosphere as the main focus. as long as the combat is deep and tactical and not button mashing, I think I'll enjoy this game.

so, is my expectation in line with what the game might be?

I'd expect a deep story! It is most definitely a game based (albeit loosely as far as I know) on the KF lore with many improvements and 3rd person perspective. Combat will be action rpg just like KF - bosses seem to be similar in scope as KF, but Demons Souls bosses will most likely be much grander in scale.

The co-op/online/MP aspect of this game is the most intriguing IMO. I think this game will surprise many people, especially if people give it a fair shake. There's no doubt KF is a niche RPG and a hardcore RPG , not pretty to look at I might add.

I for one missed Shadow Tower Abyss and KF4 but at this point I'm revving my shit for a hardcore dark fantasy game that seems to be based in madness.

Anyone interested, there are many KF I, II, III, IV playthroughs online and even Shadow Tower / Abyss. Check them out.

And preorder your copy of Demon's Souls via your favorite importer.

*What' I've heard regarding the language settings is that when English is the chosen language pretty much everything is in English, it may just be subtitled, though. But menus and text for sure.

**I wish there was an english official site. There seems to be some excellent info on Sony's site but I don't know much Japanese. There is also a prologue to the game in text on the site as well if anyone with fluency in Japanese wants to translate.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/demons-souls/

taku

Personally, I think it looks incredibly intriguing. However, it wouldn't surprise me if turned out a complete disaster.

DunpealD

taku said:
Personally, I think it looks incredibly intriguing. However, it wouldn't surprise me if turned out a complete disaster.

They're on familiar ground. They must mess it up really hard to make it into a complete disaster.

taku

DunpealD said:
They're on familiar ground. They must mess it up really hard to make it into a complete disaster.
Perfect. Here's hoping that they at least improve on a few aspects then!

taku said:

I first read your post as "Personally, I don't think it looks incredibly intriguing." Heh. I have faith that FROM will execute this one properly. As DunpealD said, they are on *very* familiar ground. It won't be the blockbuster hit of the year, perhaps the sleeper hit of the year? It'll definitely add flavor to the PS3 lineup.

gantz85

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I first read your post as "Personally, I don't think it looks incredibly intriguing." Heh. I have faith that FROM will execute this one properly. As DunpealD said, they are on *very* familiar ground. It won't be the blockbuster hit of the year, perhaps the sleeper hit of the year? It'll definitely add flavor to the PS3 lineup.

Seriously though, Afrika and Aquanauts Holiday, amongst others like LittleBigPlanet are supposed to "add flavor" to the PS3's lineup but if Sony aren't going to leverage their gaming portfolio diversity as a marketing point (and do it well), shit ain't any use.

AppleBlade

I think the fact that a lot of people are overlooking this game speaks to the quality and quantity of PS3 exclusives in 2009. I guarantee you that if this was a 360 exclusive it would be getting a lot more attention.

KTallguy

Banned
The funny thing is that the graphics are not good in a lot of ways.
The water effects, for example, are pretty poor.
I don't think there's much physics either.
I know for a fact that the game doesn't technically look THAT good.
It's the perfect definition of a PS2.5 game.

Yet the premise and the atmosphere really pull me in.
Something about it just screams "hidden gem" to me. :lol

Honestly there is just too much focus on graphics by PS3/360 users.
If a game is fun to play, and the graphics are a little subpar, I don't have a huge problem with it.

lupinko

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
*What' I've heard regarding the language settings is that when English is the chosen language pretty much everything is in English, it may just be subtitled, though. But menus and text for sure.

We know this for the Asia version (which is already confirmed to be Chinese and English), but are you talking about the Japanese version?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all the versions had all the Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese, Korean [?]) + English on the disc already.

Gotta use up that space somehow.

AppleBlade

Graphics have gotten to a point, where I don't I've played a PS3 or 360 game that I was disappointed in graphically. Every game that I play either looks great or at the very worst looks ok. Last gen, there were some games were the bad graphics severely detracted from the game. With HD resolutions, high polygon counts, and hi-res textures it's hard for me to find a game ugly this gen. (though I wish they'd stop with all the brown's and greys).

Ryuartyi

Banned
The graphics look very mediocre and non-appealing. I haven't seen how the game play looks so I won't completely count it out, but I'd need a demo to even look at it.

gantz85 said:
Seriously though, Afrika and Aquanauts Holiday, amongst others like LittleBigPlanet are supposed to "add flavor" to the PS3's lineup but if Sony aren't going to leverage their gaming portfolio diversity as a marketing point (and do it well), shit ain't any use.

I agree with you 100% I think SONY saw this as a great opportunity to "reinvent" something that did quite well in the past generations. So many people love King's Field.

It's a shame too that the economy is so shitty because I think it's problem that is incomprehensible to the public. This global situation may very well be the deterrent to take risks?

All the same I love FROMsoft and S&M = nothing better

*Are people looking at the same screenshots as I am? I'm not saying it's the BEST looking game out there but it definitely doesn't look meh? But hey, perception is relative!

lupinko said:
We know this for the Asia version (which is already confirmed to be Chinese and English), but are you talking about the Japanese version?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all the versions had all the Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese, Korean [?]) + English on the disc already.

Gotta use up that space somehow.

I was speaking specifically for the Asian version. AFAIK the Japanese version is only Japanese. Asian version seems to be Japanese, Chinese(maybe? It's not listed on play-asia at least) and English

Top Bottom