• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIII + vs XIII HQ scans (56k beware)

Kyoufu

Thanks for the scans+info. What happened to the interview? Thats where the meaty information should be coming from.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
kay said:
These aren't.

2214258922_9d8c4b23f7_o.jpg

2214258974_b26b97bd13_o.jpg

Yeah I can see how these could be real time I don't know why the couldn't.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
All the pictures look sooooo good. Its such a shame that FF games take ages to be released, but the wait is always worth it. I've never been disappointed with a FF game.

So to recap:

Lightning - Gackt/Cloud

Versus dude - Sasuke

Nomnomchan - Leah Dizon

Dude with beanie - Johnny Depp from Secret Window

anything else? :lol

Prince8

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
2d8iahk.jpg

Secret-Window23.jpg

You can honestly tell me you don't see a resemblance? Make his hair longer, and more flowing, pull his beanie down a little bit more and give him some bangs and BINGO! :D
Oh shit, I totally forgot that he had blond hair, nvm me xD

jett

D-Member
Leidenfrost said:
I think you're being a tad disingenuous in your argument.

You pulled out two old stills that nobody is seriously suggesting were rendered in-engine in order to respond to a comment on the realtime feasibility (using MGS4 as an example) of two specific magazine scans--scans which in which, due both their subject matter and scan quality, display neither the geometric scope nor the complex, diffused, and subsurface lighting only possible with offline rendering.

I pulled the old stills because you mentioned "pre-rendered models" in a general way. And pesonally, the skin shading on the Yuna lookalike looks exactly like the CG trailers. And even in these small scans, you can tell the clothes are pretty damn complex on that beeatch, with the bow on her shirt, the individually modeled details along the edges of said shirt, or the transluscent part in the shoulder area where a shadow is seemingly being casted inside of it. You go ahead and keep the faith alive there buddy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
psycho_snake said:
All the pictures look sooooo good. Its such a shame that FF games take ages to be released, but the wait is always worth it. I've never been disappointed with a FF game.
There's one thing that always disappoints me... The "International" versions they release only in Japan, where they add all the content they didn't put there in the first place because of time constraints.

Will certainly happen with the XIII games, but for now I'll ignore this and be happy that the games are looking awesome.

Chris Michael said:
So to recap:

Lightning - Gackt/Cloud

Versus dude - Sasuke

Nomnomchan - Leah Dizon

Someone said Shotgun Guy looks like Naruto. :lol

Kyoufu

Alaluef said:
There's one thing that always disappoints me... The "International" versions they release only in Japan, where they add all the content they didn't put there in the first place because of time constraints.

Will certainly happen with the XIII games, but for now I'll ignore this and be happy that the games are looking awesome.l

I'm a person who double dips on games I enjoy and I just happen to enjoy the FF games that got International releases, however in this generation, they *could* theoretically include the added content as DLC no?

Nolan.

Alaluef said:

Will certainly happen with the XIII games, but for now I'll ignore this and be happy that the games are looking awesome.

Someone said Shotgun Guy looks like Naruto. :lol

I saw one comment about a VsXIII character looking like Naruto... but whoever said this must be joking.

Dali

psycho_snake said:

Yeah it makes me wish Square put effort into games other than RPG's. You've got to figure a big part of the amount of time it takes is the story, side-quests; simply the nature of creating a 20+ story-heavy jrpg and the attention to detail the genre needs. Now if they released a game (once again, with effort put into it) without the requisite windbaggery of the genre and only the trademark SE industry-leading graphics, they could likely produce those at a much faster clip. They could be like Capcom, but instead they focus on one franchise, build the anticipation and whore it to hell.

Fuu

Kyoufu said:
I'm a person who double dips on games I enjoy and I just happen to enjoy the FF games that got International releases, however in this generation, they *could* theoretically include the added content as DLC no?
I don't even have a gripe with releasing International versions, but I do have a problem with confining them to the Japanese language only, even more if you consider that the audio and most of the script and text already exists in English. Final Fantasy X International had the option for Japanese and English text, but every subsequent game by SE that got a second release didn't do this.

The "director's cut" versions of the Metal Gear games are always localized, I really don't get why SE doesn't follow suit, it's not like the games wouldn't sell.

DLC would be really sweet, I'm so jaded about those Internationals that I didn't even consider this before.

Acosta

jett said:
O rly? I won't be the one crying when FF13 doesn't come out looking like CG.

That model, to me, looks identical to the other pics. If you think that particular picture is real-time, then you must think all the other pics of Sasuke are too.

Not even close.

You must be joking, you just posted Sasuke model in the car, are you telling us that is the same model?

To each his own, but you are wrong.

932981_20070512_screen001.jpg

2214258922_9d8c4b23f7_o.jpg

Yeah, the same. We will see
in 2 years

jett said:
I pulled the old stills because you mentioned "pre-rendered models" in a general way.

Woah woah woah. I didn't mention anything on this topic. I am assuming everything is pre-rendered unless stated otherwise.

And pesonally, the skin shading on the Yuna lookalike looks exactly like the CG trailers. And even in these small scans, you can tell the clothes are pretty damn complex on that beeatch, with the bow on her shirt, the individually modeled details along the edges of said shirt, or the transluscent part in the shoulder area where a shadow is seemingly being casted inside of it.

All true, but given that--if I can heavily extrapolate based on one still the scene looks heavily scripted/constrained. Furthermore, I see a heavily obfuscated background environment, a shining kingdom hearts decal, crystal effects straight out of the FFX Shiva summon, and translucent surface lighting effects straight out of a three year old NVIDIA demo. I was never saying it's possibly real time because OMG SQUARE AWESOME!!! I'm suggesting it's possible because it's not all that technically impressive.

You go ahead and keep the faith alive there buddy.

My so-called 'faith' in this game begins and ends with battle director Toshiro Tsuchida. And if he lives up to my hopes the graphics could look like Resistance 1 for all I care as long as it serves story and gameplay.

BTW, don't mean to escalate tension, I'm just saying you seem way too invested in disabusing any praise for this game.

jett said:
O rly? I won't be the one crying when FF13 doesn't come out looking like CG.

That model, to me, looks identical to the other pics. If you think that particular picture is real-time, then you must think all the other pics of Sasuke are too.

owner of a lonely heart

much better than a

owner of a broken heart

batbeg

Alaluef said:
I don't even have a gripe with releasing International versions, but I do have a problem with confining them to the Japanese language only, even more if you consider that the audio and most of the script and text already exists in English. Final Fantasy X International had the option for Japanese and English text, but every subsequent game by SE that got a second release didn't do this.

The "director's cut" versions of the Metal Gear games are always localized, I really don't get why SE doesn't follow suit, it's not like the games wouldn't sell.

DLC would be really sweet, I'm so jaded about those Internationals that I didn't even consider this before.

Well, the only International version never released in English is FFXII. FFVII International was just the addition of the Weapons which Japan didn't initially get, and FFX International had all the Dark Aeons and stuff in the PAL version (ie English). As far as I'm aware none of the others had an international version really, and I have to agree with DLC it doesn't seem to likely to happen in the future.

jett

D-Member
Haha sorry Leidenfrost, I thought you were VonGak! so I erronouesly made some assumptions. Actually I'm pretty excited about both games, but you're right, I don't really know why I keep trying to convince you people that's not real-time. In my opinion, of course. Maybe I'm just fucking tired of Squeenix pumping CG down our throats for two years and seemingly having forgotten about the actual games.

I do think though, if those pictures were indeed real-time, the magazine would make a big deal out of it. :p With that said, I'm out of this particular discussion.

Fuu

batbeg said:
Well, the only International version never released in English is FFXII. FFVII International was just the addition of the Weapons which Japan didn't initially get, and FFX International had all the Dark Aeons and stuff in the PAL version (ie English). As far as I'm aware none of the others had an international version really, and I have to agree with DLC it doesn't seem to likely to happen in the future.
KH games. :(

Fuu

TheJollyCorner said:
and that FFX-2 Last Mission or whatever it was called. From what I remember it had a good deal of new stuff in it.

...for the 10 people in the west that actually liked FFX-2. :D
Count me in those 10 people. And yeah, I was pissed about that one too. :lol :(

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Chris Michael said:
So to recap:

Lightning - Gackt/Cloud

Versus dude - Sasuke

Nomnomchan - Leah Dizon

sounds about right :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
disappeared said:
Lightning looks so good. Too few games anymore cast badass female leads.

Well it's about time they have an actual female lead I was getting pissed at all the sissy guy's looking like girls over the past games.

jett said:
In my opinion, of course. Maybe I'm just fucking tired of Squeenix pumping CG down our throats for two years and seemingly having forgotten about the actual games.

I know the feeling and totally sympathize. I'm not entirely convinced the lack of information is because of any development politics...I have a notion that the PR guys at S-E are horrible, horrible, malicious human beings.

Hope the game exceeds your personal expectations, sir.

Acosta said:
Not even close.

You must be joking, you just posted Sasuke model in the car, are you telling us that is the same model?

You act like there is a hell of a difference. Thats not a high res shot and we can't make out a lot of detail. It could very well be the same CG model.

Durante

disappeared said:
Lightning looks so good.
Indeed. In fact, Lightning looks better than anything any current console or PC game has produced so far. Yes, that's my opinion.

(And versus still looks like a generic shounen action-fest -- albeit a pretty one)

Zoe

There were two different magazines with features this week. The other one is still missing.

antiloop

I love the realtime speculation. It's basically only with FFXIII and Versus we get those. :)

Especially when it's scans we speculate about.

Zoe

Nolan. said:
By the way is ''Lightning'' going to be her final name I cant remember if it was temporary.

Seems like they're sticking with Lightning, but the scans say it's not her real name.

Kyoufu

Zoe said:
Seems like they're sticking with Lightning, but the scans say it's not her real name.

Lightning is her name and there is no two-ways about it. However the Versus main character's design can change at any time as it is not quite final yet.

antiloop

Kyoufu said:
Lightning is her name and there is no two-ways about it. However the Versus main character's design can change at any time as it is not quite final yet.

I thought they said long ago that it's just her nick-name.

Versus looks a lot better now IMO. Not as good as FFXIII of course but good. :)

Kyoufu

antiloop said:
I thought they said long ago that it's just her nick-name.

Versus looks a lot better now IMO. Not as good as FFXIII of course but good. :)

No, you can clearly see her name ingame in the battle section of the trailers.

VonGak!

Banned
jett said:
I pulled the old stills because you mentioned "pre-rendered models" in a general way. And pesonally, the skin shading on the Yuna lookalike looks exactly like the CG trailers. And even in these small scans, you can tell the clothes are pretty damn complex on that beeatch, with the bow on her shirt, the individually modeled details along the edges of said shirt, or the transluscent part in the shoulder area where a shadow is seemingly being casted inside of it. You go ahead and keep the faith alive there buddy.
Just because you thought you were responding to me. ^.^

I never said the game-play would look the same as those renders, just that it will look close enough to capture the essence.

To elaborate, the game-play camera will never zoom that much onto the character models, there's be 3D gorgeous backdrops the player can't enter/interact with and the art style lets it self very well to current game rendering methods so the gap between cut-scene and game-play won't be jarring.

Ad by essence I mean that the player will feel comfortable with the graphics knowing what they are supposed to portray. No one really notice the graphical differences between the Shrek movies because the art style has set the barrier. ^.^

Nolan.

Zoe said:
Wasn't it said at one point that she has amnesia or something?

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That's the name she probably gives herself and as she goes along things start to fall in place. So technically its her name, but it might change ingame when she realises who she is.

Chris Michael said:
I'm getting a really big Shakespeare vibe as well. Judging by the pics Versus basically seems to me as a Shakespearian mafia-esque story in a futuristic Final Fantasy setting - now, in my opinion, that is one of the most badass fucking things I could ever imagine.
Modern, not futuristic. Modern. It's a "fantasy based on reality," as the trailer aptly put it. The locations seen thus far are based on the present day Shinjuku district of Tokyo, and the Plaza San Marco of Venice, Italy.

Top Bottom