• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIII + vs XIII HQ scans (56k beware)

In Versus it would be awesome if you could switch between a third-person action perspective like KH with its own set of moves and then you could switch to a 3rd person shooter perspective like RE4/Gears that is more projectile weapon oriented with a separate set of melee attacks designed to keep enemies away from you rather than destroying them. Basically the action perspective would be for sword combos and wide range spells while the shooter perspective would be ideal for projectile weapons/spells and you could switch between the two interchangeably any time you want. It would take a good bit of balancing but it would add so much depth to the battle system (think of the crazy combos you could pull off). You could hit a baddie up in the air in action mode and pop into shooter perspective and pop the airborne enemy with a shotgun and then switch back to action mode to rough him up with your sword before he hits the ground. It would be AWESOME......but SE probably wouldn't do anything like this :(

EDIT: Basically like a mix of DMC (but with full camera control) and RE4.

ssoass

2ic38cp.jpg

This guy goes to the same hairdresser as Vaan.

Himuro said:
A third person shooter like Dirge? ugh. S-E have better hired better people who can pull off a good action game then.

Well I don't want to say Dirge because it's not the same people. I think Nomura has a much better idea of what needs to be done to make this game great.

deepbrown

harSon said:
Please don't.
Ha I'm getting it cut tomorrow...I've had similar, in fact worse, for some modelling iv done. So wouldn't be too diff. However, I'm not gonna fooking straighten my hair :lol

Zoe

Lead character is starting to look cross-eyed in some of these pics...

I wish they had stuck with black/grey hair for him :(

Prince8

Banned
harSon said:
Please don't.
Why not, cause it's nice?
I've tried looks like that, but my hair isn't straight enough, a shame though. Well and the times I tried it my friends called me an emo and suddenly emo girls started to like me, so it's not all positive, but hey, it's pretty awesome.

VonGak!

Banned
harSon said:
I saw a few Nigerians and other Africans in Japan when I traveled there, it's not like Black people are a foreign entity now. I'm sure there are some Persians,Indians, etc spread through out Japan as well.

It's called a Zoo
Sorry, couldn't help myself

acevans2

I'm glad they're not being sooooo uptight on media from the game, but I really want to see someone playing it. I want to see what the game looks like at an 'average' point in the game.

I like the looks of both games though. Blah blah Tetsuya Nomura art hate, whatever. I enjoy a game of his once every couple years.

Himuro said:
:lol :lol

That's all they've done for the past decade!

Well isn't he talking about graphics? They haven't given any reason to doubt them on that front, if anything they've only given more reasons to believe in them because of Crisis Core.

WinFonda

harSon said:
You're joking right? :lol
Not at all. They've consistently had some of the best graphics on the platform for over a decade. People who doubt Square's technical prowess at this point are... Clearly lacking.

Faith.

Walshicus

jett said:
That's what you're hoping. They're all CG to me.
Yeah. I'd love to think any of this was possible on 2005/6 hardware, but you have to be pretty damn sceptical about Square and graphical promises outside of CG. I want to see stuff like this in Full Interactiveramavision.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Well isn't he talking about graphics? They haven't given any reason to doubt them on that front, if anything they've only given more reasons to believe in them because of Crisis Core.

Yes, because being able to reproduce average PS2-level graphics on the PSP is indicative of they pulling this shit off on the PS3. You people are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. I think my apparoch is better, keep my expectations low. :p

harSon

Banned
WinFonda said:
Not at all. They've consistently had some of the best graphics on the platform for over a decade. People who doubt Square's technical prowess at this point are... Clearly lacking.

Faith.

They're also the biggest CG whores in the game :/

Ceb

jett said:
That's what you're hoping. They're all CG to me.

The fucking article says they're real-time. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Ah well, at least noone has reached dcharlie levels of crazy yet. He's still convinced they don't have a working engine.

jett said:
Yes, because being able to reproduce average PS2-level graphics on the PSP is indicative of they pulling this shit off on the PS3. You people are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. I think my apparoch is better, keep my expectations low. :p
With FF12 they were clearly outgrowing the PS2 - the textures are way too good and it ends up making everything jaggy as heck on an HDTV but the game looks gorgeous in hi-res renders, as though the textures weren't made for 480i. I don't doubt them, especially since some of the stuff we've seen from other devs this gen.

jett

D-Member
Ceb said:
The fucking article says they're real-time. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Does it really? Do you read juhpuhneez? Seems to me that "translation" snowballed from a "those two pictures kinda look real time to me" comment.

badcrumble said:
With FF12 they were clearly outgrowing the PS2 - the textures are way too good and it ends up making everything jaggy as heck on an HDTV but the game looks gorgeous in hi-res renders, as though the textures weren't made for 480i. I don't doubt them, especially since some of the stuff we've seen from other devs this gen.

I think FF12's graphics suffered mostly from the constant delays. In 2006, on my PS2, it wasn't all that good looking.

Mash

deepbrown said:
Hm I need to get me a haircut like that. :D

Ha.

Anyway, looks good except for the fact I can't tell the sex of the characters. I love the atmosphere in some of those pics, looks like a properly developed universe they've created. I'm obviously expecting the final game to not look so pretty, and anyone who is is going to be disappointed, but I'm glad about the style they're aiming for.

Acosta

jett said:

Your approach is boring and not any better than the other.

I am that are actual in-game model, there is nothing unrealistic on them, they just are very detailed and well done but it doesn´t have perfectly modeled hair or any sign that proves is CG at all. What are you seeing that is so technically impressive?

jett said:
(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 12:33 PM)
Reply | Quote

jett said:

So the fact that they're in the discussion for the best looking games on the PSone, PS2 and PSP have no relevance to what they can do on the PS3?

SolidSnakex said:
So the fact that they're in the discussion for the best looking games on the PSone, PS2 and PSP have no relevance to what they can do on the PS3?

why are you guys wasting your time?

let's hope that interview is translated soon!

jett

D-Member
Acosta said:
Your approach is boring and not any better than the other.

O rly? I won't be the one crying when FF13 doesn't come out looking like CG.

Acosta said:
I am that are actual in-game model, there is nothing unrealistic on them, they just are very detailed and well done but it doesn´t have perfectly modeled hair or any sign that proves is CG at all. What are you seeing that is so technically impressive?

That model, to me, looks identical to the other pics. If you think that particular picture is real-time, then you must think all the other pics of Sasuke are too.

JCreasy

If Naughty Dog can execute a project like Uncharted within the time constraints they were placed, I have no doubt that the dedicated dev teams at Square will produce something truely amazing with the Final Fantasy XIII projects.

batbeg

jett said:

Neither will we. We're old enough to not cry about a game not meeting all our expectations. However we are thankfully not cynical enough to have to cry about how it's all CG until it's released :p

VonGak!

Banned
jett said:

That model, to me, looks identical to the other pics. If you think that particular picture is real-time, then you must think all the other pics of Sasuke are too.

Are those pre-rendered character models really that far from the MGS4 in-game character models in overall feel? If Kojima Productions then there's no doubt that SE can do it too.

And as a previous poster said, compare these FFXIII shots to Uncharted. I'm not doubting that the difference between game-play and cut-scenes will be minor this time around (especially if the developer maintain control over the camera like in GoW).

Kyuuen

eh... as much as i'd like to believe it's real time, the article doesn't say it is. So I guess I'll assume its just cg

eh my japanese is limited, so if somehow i missed it, could someone point it out? All i can see is text talking about the character.

kevm3

FF13 looks amazing. I really didn't care for versus at first, but now that I'm seeing more and more of it being unveiled, I'm starting to like it a lot. The mafia/city setting is really interesting and refreshing. I can't wait for both of these games.

kevm3 said:
FF13 looks amazing. I really didn't care for versus at first, but now that I'm seeing more and more of it being unveiled, I'm starting to like it a lot. The mafia/city setting is really interesting and refreshing. I can't wait for both of these games.

I'm getting a really big Shakespeare vibe as well. Judging by the pics Versus basically seems to me as a Shakespearian mafia-esque story in a futuristic Final Fantasy setting - now, in my opinion, that is one of the most badass fucking things I could ever imagine.

jett

D-Member
VonGak! said:
Yes, are you saying it's impossible to capture the essence of those models in-game?

I'm saying they're miles away from the MGS4 models, in overall feel or whatever. You're saying something completely different now, as even the in-game models of FF12 "capture the essence" of their CG counterparts. :p

jett said:
I'm saying they're miles away from the MGS4 models, in overall feel or whatever. You're saying something completely different now, as even the in-game models of FF12 "capture the essence" of their CG counterparts. :p

I think you're being a tad disingenuous in your argument.

You pulled out two old stills that nobody is seriously suggesting were rendered in-engine in order to respond to a comment on the realtime feasibility (using MGS4 as an example) of two specific magazine scans--scans which in which, due both their subject matter and scan quality, display neither the geometric scope nor the complex, diffused, and subsurface lighting only possible with offline rendering.

SamuraiX-

Prince8 said:
Are you kidding me :lol Doesn't even look close

2d8iahk.jpg

Secret-Window23.jpg

You can honestly tell me you don't see a resemblance? Make his hair longer, and more flowing, pull his beanie down a little bit more and give him some bangs and BINGO! :D

Top Bottom