• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Final Fantasy III pics in Nintendo Dream

duckroll

Okay here are some pointers from the longass Famitsu interview. Thanks goes to neo for the scans!

- The interview is with the producer Asano and the executive producer/director Tanaka.
- FF3 WSC was canned due to terrible timing, the WSC died.
- The game will use both screens (duh).
- The game is full 3D.
- When in fields and towns the top screen will be the map.
- No map display in dungeons.
- Bottom screen is the main display because they want to use touchpen gameplay.
- You can use the touchpen to select everything and navigate menus, etc.
- Battles commands will be selected using the touchpen as well.
- Because it's in full 3D, during event scenes the camera will be moved and used effectively.
- The main party is made up of 3 males and 1 female.
- While they're giving the characters names and charactistics, the actual story of FF3 will not be altered one bit.
- There will be additional events and episodes in the game to develop the characters and their backstories.
- You need Capacity Points to change jobs.
- Defeated enemies will give gil, exp and cp.
- This change was made to balance the job system.
- The actual foundation of the system has not changed.
- There will be a total of 23 different jobs.
- As this is a portable game, there will be a save anywhere function. It would be annoying otherwise.

ant1532

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay here are some pointers from the longass Famitsu interview. Thanks goes to neo for the scans!

- The interview is with the producer Asano and the executive producer/director Tanaka.
- The game is full 3D.
- Because it's in full 3D, during event scenes the camera will be moved and used effectively.
- While they're giving the characters names and charactistics, the actual story of FF3 will not be altered one bit.
- There will be additional events and episodes in the game to develop the characters and their backstories.
- As this is a portable game, there will be a save anywhere function. It would be annoying otherwise.
:D :D
thank you

duckroll said:

- The game is full 3D.

All I wanted to know. Thanks :)

Greenpanda said:
edit: holy hell, those moogles are huge, though, what's up with that?
They look to scale about the same as in the sprite images; I guess we're just used to a smaller breed in more recent 3D games.

ethelred

23 classes... that means they're adding 1 new class (I'm pretty sure there were only 22 in the original). While they're not changing the foundation of the Job System, though, I hope they're not leaving it completely the same. Over the course of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy Tactics they've incorporated a lot of refinements and upgrades to that system, and I'd hate to see this remake basically keep everything at the NES level and ignore all the progress they've made on this system.

Hopefully, also, the additional events are well integrated into the story and really serve to make it a lengthier and fuller experience. I liked the character quests in FFIVA, but they were just bonus post-game additions. I'd really like to see the core story of FFIII expand through these additions.

I am starting to regret not purchasing a DS. The PSP is a good system but the DS has more games I want to play at this point.

duckroll

ethelred said:
23 classes... that means they're adding 1 new class (I'm pretty sure there were only 22 in the original). While they're not changing the foundation of the Job System, though, I hope they're not leaving it completely the same. Over the course of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy Tactics they've incorporated a lot of refinements and upgrades to that system, and I'd hate to see this remake basically keep everything at the NES level and ignore all the progress they've made on this system.

Don't worry, Tanaka spent some time discussing about how he felt the original FF3's job system definitely had issues. And he's the producer of FFXI, which he feels expands on the job system really well. I wouldn't be too worried.

DoctorWho said:
I am starting to regret not purchasing a DS. The PSP is a good system but the DS has more games I want to play at this point.
and it's only the beginning ;) ...DS Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

ethelred

duckroll said:
Don't worry, Tanaka spent some time discussing about how he felt the original FF3's job system definitely had issues. And he's the producer of FFXI, which he feels expands on the job system really well. I wouldn't be too worried.

Sounds good. I wasn't really too worried; it was more just an idle concern. I've figured all along that, to go with the graphical overhaul and the story/character additions, they'd enhance the job system too.

Did they say anything about the battles? I'm wondering if they'll keep it turn based or add in an ATB.

Wait, is this the game with the onion kids?

I've never played it but I remember someone telling me about onion kids...

duckroll

ethelred said:
Did they say anything about the battles? I'm wondering if they'll keep it turn based or add in an ATB.

They didn't mention that bit. Famitsu commented in a section about how "with the touchpen being used in battles, the tempo is changed significantly!" But seeing how Famitsu is probably just commenting based on information they have and the same screenshots releasted to everything, they're probably referring to how it'll probably be a much faster experience touching commands instead of selecting with the d-pad. I don't see an ATB bar in any of the screens though, so probably not.

ethelred

duckroll said:
They didn't mention that bit. Famitsu commented in a section about how "with the touchpen being used in battles, the tempo is changed significantly!" But seeing how Famitsu is probably just commenting based on information they have and the same screenshots releasted to everything, they're probably referring to how it'll probably be a much faster experience touching commands instead of selecting with the d-pad. I don't see an ATB bar in any of the screens though, so probably not.

Did they comment on how the top screen would be used in dungeons and in battles?

duckroll

ethelred said:
Did they comment on how the top screen would be used in dungeons and in battles?

Nope. I think they're being vague on purpose. Japan marketing generally prefers to split an entire game's features into like 10 sections of 4-page articles and spread them across Famitsu bi-weekly or something. Now that the media is beginning, I doubt it'll be going away. If they reveal everything now, they won't have articles left for Famitsu to run. :lol

DoctorWho said:
Wait, is this the game with the onion kids?

I've never played it but I remember someone telling me about onion kids...

Yeah, it is.

edit: And, yes, 1 new class by my count, too. Guessing it's probably some "ultimate" job...?

Didn't he say the top screen wouldn't be used in battles because of tech issues? (i.e. they're using all the DS's power for the battle graphics)

Re: the job system, as duckroll said they've put a lot of effort into making the jobs more balanced - he mentioned the Viking job as an example where it was difficult to use before, but it's now been made simpler.

Anyway, this looks really awesome! I hope this game gets some good sales. It would be really nice to see some more remakes of this kind - and heck, an original RPG using this engine wouldn't go amiss...

7Th

This makes it 2 games I really want for DS. Not that I want them on the system of course, both don't need touch or dual screens at all, but at least they're coming out and that's more than enough.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ethelred said:

Hopefully, also, the additional events are well integrated into the story and really serve to make it a lengthier and fuller experience. I liked the character quests in FFIVA, but they were just bonus post-game additions. I'd really like to see the core story of FFIII expand through these additions.

Yeah, I'd love to see some FF5 style additions...

Who wants to bet that the 1 new class is
Mimic
?

duckroll

tebiro boy said:
Didn't he say the top screen wouldn't be used in battles because of tech issues? (i.e. they're using all the DS's power for the battle graphics)

Re: the job system, as duckroll said they've put a lot of effort into making the jobs more balanced - he mentioned the Viking job as an example where it was difficult to use before, but it's now been made simpler.

Anyway, this looks really awesome! I hope this game gets some good sales. It would be really nice to see some more remakes of this kind - and heck, an original RPG using this engine wouldn't go amiss...

Yeah you're right, but he didn't say battles specifically. In fact he said that when they first decided to go polygon with FF3, he was really eager to have the game on 1 screen only. But the producer goes on to say "In fields and towns, at normal times the top screen will be used!" and then they explain the map. I guess this means dungeons, battles, and cutscenes will probably have nothing on the top screen, that would be pretty bold if true. I wonder what Nintendo thinks of that.

Golden Darkness said:
Who's Asano, and what games did he work on?

I don't know who he is but he might be an Enix guy. He produced the 3 Fullmetal Alchemist PS2 games too.

duckroll said:
Yeah you're right, but he didn't say battles specifically. In fact he said that when they first decided to go polygon with FF3, he was really eager to have the game on 1 screen only. But the producer goes on to say "In fields and towns, at normal times the top screen will be used!" and then they explain the map. I guess this means dungeons, battles, and cutscenes will probably have nothing on the top screen, that would be pretty bold if true. I wonder what Nintendo thinks of that.

I don't know who he is but he might be an Enix guy. He produced the 3 Fullmetal Alchemist PS2 games too.

That would be weird, couldn't they just throw up some stats on the top screen?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
4 shots off tha battles, and on all of them only 1 enemy?

Ey, what's going with that!?

Mr. Smith

here is a magazine add for the game, cant wait for the us version. i hope it doesnt take too long

27684_scanff3ad.jpg

temp

posting on contract only
Mr. Smith said:
here is a magazine add for the game, cant wait for the us version. i hope it doesnt take too long

That was posted on the last page, in a thumbnail that didn't stretch out the screen.

firex

ant1532 said:
Why is it(ff3) so popular? (what makes it so amazing?)
Well, it's popular because it's the only FF not released over here.

But what makes it amazing? It's probably my favorite FF for overall gameplay - there are a few dungeons where you have to go through them in frog/mini form (something I hope they keep in the remake, it was fun) and the classes had some unique abilities crucial to the gameplay (or just useful overall). For example, thieves can open locked doors and chests (and there's enough of those to make it a big difference in the game), dark knights (or maybe the class was called paladin, I can't remember, but the dark knight sprite from FF4 was basically a 16 bit color version of it) were the only classes who could use swords that prevent some enemies from splitting, there's a boss you can only beat with 4 dragon knights...

Also, the way the job system works is great. Instead of having free reign to change jobs out of combat like FF5, you have "capacity," which you earn after every battle. Each job has similar related jobs to it, and jobs that are unrelated. You spend more capacity changing from a knight to a black mage, for example, than you would from black mage to summoner. But if you fight enough with a job, you'll "skill up" in it, which basically means it costs less for you to switch back to that job (all the way down to costing 0 capacity). So it pays to build characters in specific types. Plus, what class you are when you level up makes a big difference in your overall stat gain - you'll get way more HP leveling up as a monk than you would as a white mage.

It's simple, but it has a bit more depth than FF5 where you can level up as any job and you'll wind up with the same stats when you change back to the normal job at the end of the game. You have to plan a bit ahead! Which is a nice change of pace from the really easy FFs that would follow. The actual game itself isn't too hard either, but I didn't beat it because I got up to the end and I'd either have to get really lucky with damage or grind another 10 levels or so. And while it's maybe 15-20 hours long on the original version, you've got to keep in mind that it's an 8-bit RPG with very little story. I'm sure this new version will be at least 30-40 hours long.

Pellham

Banned
Roders5 said:
That's a very relaxing 'coming soon' movie.

This is looking very good. I must admit to never playing a FF game for more than a few hours, but this has got my interest. Is number 3 considered good in the series?

It's my favorite FF game

hitsugi

this game looks incredible.. but god knows when it'll see the light of day in the states D: ..i don't even think a Japan release date has been mentioned, has it?

also, seeing this makes me wonder why they're sticking to GBA for FF5 and 6.. just do some 2 in 1 port for the DS and get it over with ._. i'm still real iffy about how those are gonna turn out

jko

wow, this is great new!! :)

i wonder if this would sell as many as the mainstream FF games on the PS2...hopefully it will at least break a million!

jko

hitsugi said:
also, seeing this makes me wonder why they're sticking to GBA for FF5 and 6.. just do some 2 in 1 port for the DS and get it over with ._. i'm still real iffy about how those are gonna turn out

i hear ya, FF4 was one of my fav and they utterly f'd it up... >;o

Red Scarlet

duckroll said:
:(

duckroll said:

Isn't that how it was anyway? That's how I remember it was.

osyrus

jko said:
wow, this is great new!! :)

i wonder if this would sell as many as the mainstream FF games on the PS2...hopefully it will at least break a million!

What would the MCS nuts predict FFIII to sell? :lol

With 7+ million DS users in Japan, you'd hope it sells like hotcakes along with new hardware purchases galore.

duckroll

CurseoftheGods said:
duckroll, the story is getting beefed up right?

Nope. Doesn't seem like it. They're adding additional stuff for the characters, but it seems the main story itself will remain exactly the same.

duckroll said:
Nope. Doesn't seem like it. They're adding additional stuff for the characters, but it seems the main story itself will remain exactly the same.

Will there be new dungeons and locations and the like, similar to the GBA ports of FF1, FF2, and FF4?

Top Bottom