• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GT:HD info - BOHICA included, KY Jelly available for paid download

IGN said:
For classic mode, the number of potential downloads is staggering. Users will be able to download 770 cars, 51 courses and 4,500 items. These numbers are end targets though. At the start of service, only 51 "items" will be available for download. Yamauchi did not give specifics on how this number breaks down.

VPhys

duckroll said:
Okay here's the deal once again for those who are lost:

GT HD Premium is the mode which is truly made for the PS3. Ground up, it uses PS3 power and is not a upscale or upgrade of any previous GT. Cars are brand new models, tracks are brand new, everything is remodeled. Unfortunately, it's like a GT5 Prologue package, and only supports single player arcade mode and nothing else. You get 30 cars and 2 tracks to play in this mode, until you download (buy!) more cars and tracks. There are 30 more cars released on the network shop at release, as well as the London track.

GT HD Classic is the GT4 HD + network mode that has everyone excited. For the first time ever GT will be playable online in a competitive network system internationally. The only problem is that this is the GT4 HD engine showed off at E3. It's just GT4 content slightly rescaled for 1080p, nothing more. This mode also ships with no cars or tracks, but instead an AWESOME library of 770 cars and 51 tracks at launch on the network shop. Yes, you have to buy anything you want to use in this mode.

No, data between Premium and Classic are not interchangable.

Thanks for that explanation.

So out of the box GTHD is basically just a DEMO, with the potential to make it a somewhat complete game buy purchasing cars and tracks.

With that in mind, it should cost the same as Prologue did, which I think was $20USD.

And since the GT4 mode is download only, when you go online to race , do you have to find someone else who also purchased the exact same track for their game?

duckroll

plagiarize said:
i still want to know what happens when i try and race online with my friend and we haven't bought the same tracks.

Megaton! MS introduced microtransactions, but Sony will introduce.... autotranscations?! :lol

BCD2 said:

I'm really not sure why IGN and Gamespot keeps getting information WRONG about this. It's clear as day that the 770 cars and 51 tracks are there on DAY ONE. The end number is 1000+ cars. Every single Japanese source has been consistant on GT HD reporting, but the US sites are all over the place, wtf, can no one understand Japanese?! :p

duckroll said:
Megaton! MS introduced microtransactions, but Sony will introduce.... autotranscations?! :lol
i presume also that i can race against a car i don't own (though presumably it'll have to be downloaded first) otherwise... why the shit even put it online?

loosus

Banned
This only works decently, but still in rape mode, if the game itself is $20, the cars are about $0.03, and the tracks are about $0.50. :(

jett

D-Member
BCD2 said:

At this rate...most of those items will probably be sound effects and background music. I mean **** Premium ships without AI. :lol

And since the GT4 mode is download only, when you go online to race , do you have to find someone else who also purchased the exact same track for their game?

This raises an interesting point. How the shit are online races going to work? Are we going to have to wait while the opponents' cars and courses are downloaded, and afterwards we'll wait for them to be deleted? WTF?

duckroll

loosus said:
This only works decently, but still in rape mode, if the game itself is $20, the cars are about $0.03, and the tracks are about $0.50. :(

I think you're mistaken. 50-100 yen is like 50 cents to a dollar, while 200-500 yen is like 2 to 5 bucks. This is not just rape mode, it's ANAL RAPE mode. :p

loosus

Banned
duckroll said:
I think you're mistaken. 50-100 yen is like 50 cents to a dollar, while 200-500 yen is like 2 to 5 bucks. This is not just rape mode, it's ANAL RAPE mode. :p
What I'm saying is that if you compare the offerings to GT4, which was a $50 game, you'd only even get near the same value if the components cost what I suggested. :(

Drek

If the game is $20 I don't think its too horrible of a set up. I don't want to see it for GT5 though, so the slippery slope arguement is looming pretty large here.

If the online system works with what basically amount to digital "pink slips" (or at least the option) that'd be pretty cool. Use the various cups as a seperator to prevent premium cars against lesser cars (unless the owners choose to do so in an open race). That'd make the garage something to really be proud of, having actually won cars form various competitors. Better yet, have an online garage that gives the details of when the car was won, what track, how badly you beat your opponent, etc.. It'd be a very cool gameplay mechanic, especially if you could get into it for only $20 up front and the price of a car to race. I'm pretty burnt out on the GT series at this point but I'd still jump for that. Get to skip straight to the high performance racing against online oponents with legitimate stakes on the line.

duckroll said:
I'm really not sure why IGN and Gamespot keeps getting information WRONG about this. It's clear as day that the 770 cars and 51 tracks are there on DAY ONE. The end number is 1000+ cars. Every single Japanese source has been consistant on GT HD reporting, but the US sites are all over the place, wtf, can no one understand Japanese?! :p
IGN credits gpara.com as the source if it makes you feel any better about it, although considering there are 51 tracks, "51 items" does sound rather suspicious. *shrug*

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734938p1.html

BCD2 said:
IGN credits gpara.com as the source if it makes you feel any better about it, although considering there are 51 tracks, "51 items" does sound rather suspicious. *shrug*

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734938p1.html
well why should we presume all the tracks will be available from the start?

if i was looking to make lots of money, i'd spread that shit out, so that you were only ever spending $10 at a time with each new set of cars and tracks.

LegatoB

Sony, you crazy f***ers! :lol

I hope in five years we'll all be looking back and laughing at what a colossol failure GTHD and microtransactions to get most of a game's content were. Until then, let's think of a good catchphrase related to this so we can trot it out alongside "real-time weapon change," "giant enemy crab", and "$599 US dollars."

duckroll

plagiarize said:
well why should we presume all the tracks will be available from the start?

if i was looking to make lots of money, i'd spread that shit out, so that you were only ever spending $10 at a time with each new set of cars and tracks.

Those are not ALL the tracks. They have a HUGE lineup over the next few months lined up. They just plan to have a huge first day showing to make the Sony Network Shop a big deal. It's not a presumption, it's what's announced.

Edit: Okay I checked the Gpara.com article, and their translation is correct. Yay MORE CONFUSION! Great job Sony, nothing spreads paranoia like GT! :D

ShowDog

So most of the game will just be GT4, a two-year old game, in HD? And they already plan on having two downloadable updates to the AI before the game has even been released? WTF, are you gonna have to pay for those too? Sounds lame.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Outdoor Miner said:
How 'bout that thread retitle, eh?

GT:HD info -BOHICA in full effect, Damage/AI to be patched in later, overreactions ftw

BTW, nice screen name. :)

You heard the FSA version of Outdoor Miner too, right?

loosus

Banned
LegatoB said:
I hope in five years we'll all be looking back and laughing at what a colossol failure GTHD and microtransactions to get most of a game's content were.
I hope so, too...but what if the terrorists do win? What then? Hold me, mommy. :( :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
LegatoB said:
Sony, you crazy f***ers! :lol

I hope in five years we'll all be looking back and laughing at what a colossol failure GTHD and microtransactions to get most of a game's content were. Until then, let's think of a good catchphrase related to this so we can trot it out alongside "real-time weapon change," "giant enemy crab", and "$599 US dollars."

You miss those E3 days don't you?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BenjaminBirdie said:
Aw, nertz. I have so many racing games and one of the main reason I play them is to try and get as many cars as humanly possible. I never come close and realistically speaking I would probably be spending closer to $25 than $750 if I was perfectly honest, but this really just cuts down the fundamental joy of a console racing game. I mean, where's the love for the "You Have Just Unlocked: The MK Spyder" and the car is slowly rotating in front of a starburst behind it and you feel SO AWESOME and you stare at it lovingly in your car inventory screen.

That, to me, is one of the best things about racing games. What in the dang, PD.

good post benji. I agree 100%

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
so let me ask you guys who are going to buy a PS3 a question...

In lieu of this microtransaction fiasco, does Ridge Racer 7 look like a more attractive purchase for your PS3 racing fix? I mean, you must have some appreciation to Namco for giving the amount of content they're giving us on the RR7 disc from getgo, right?

Brofist

isamu said:

In lieu of this microtransaction fiasco, does Ridge Racer 7 look like a more attractive purchase for your PS3 racing fix? I mean, you must have some appreciation to Namco for giving the amount of content they're giving us on the RR7 disc from getgo, right?

if they pull this shit I'll just play GT4 BC, and buy any other race game instead

isamu said:

Yes, yes it does.

Slew of cars and courses, plus online and a one time free for it all, you know like games normally do....versus a preview of GT5 with a suped up GT4 which has pratically nothing and you're basically paying for everything you got in GT4 anyway just to try to play a mode that other games already promoted without doing this...online...which was pushed for on GT4 but didn't make it....so they want to ass-rape it's audience instead to finally get it online.

But hey, lower starting fee right, even if the content still doesn't equal past games if I spend just $50-60 like a full game...

Hmmm....tough comparision there.

bud

jett said:
At this rate...most of those items will probably be sound effects and background music. I mean **** Premium ships without AI. :lol

''Also set to become available through an update is opponent AI. Polyphony will make updated opponent AI routines available for download in the first half of 2007.''

bud

Regarding the price:

Japan's Impress Watch games site reports that, in comments made to the Japanese press, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that Sony plans to make GT HD available for the cost of the game disk and instruction manual. This suggests a retail price point of just a few dollars for the first PS3 Gran Turismo game.

from ign

Oni Jazar

Whether this is a rape or not all depends on the initial price. If it's cheap enough then I think this is an excellent idea to get a wide audience to try out your software. I've never bought a GT game at full price but I (and I imagine others) wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot for 20 or so bones. Those of you who think you'll want to buy every car can just take a look at this varied list of cars from GT4:

Nissan Skyline 1500 Deluxe (S50D-1) ('63)
Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) ('73)
Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS ('83)
Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C ('84)
Nissan Skyline GTS-R (R31) ('87)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) ('89)
Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) ('89)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GTS25 Type S (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R32) ('93)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 (R32) ('93)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II (R32) ('94)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec LM Limited (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('97)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('97)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R Midnight Purple II (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 (R34) ('99)

Rody

gthddp4.jpg

Nice. :D

chespace said:
BTW, nice screen name. :)

You heard the FSA version of Outdoor Miner too, right?

I'd heard Luna's cover but never FSA's. I tried finding it online 'cause the description of it sounds cool, but no luck. :(

Drek

Japan's Impress Watch games site reports that, in comments made to the Japanese press, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that Sony plans to make GT HD available for the cost of the game disk and instruction manual. This suggests a retail price point of just a few dollars for the first PS3 Gran Turismo game.
$10? (just a thought)

That'd be pretty sweet. I don't think Polyphony is trying to sell this like a full GT, its not supposed to be about getting every car you can and whatnot. Its a low cost preview of GT5 in two parts. Premium shows the graphics capabilities, Classic shows the online system. With Premium you start with 30 cars and 2 tracks, so if you just want to get a feel for GT5 and nothing else you're basically just buying a GT5 demo, with the ability to purchase specific cars or tracks you personally favored in previous versions. GT Classic gives online gameplay but costs you from the start. If the game is built around the winner taking an opponent's car it could be a pretty cool dynamic and no one should be too aweful hurt by it unless they put a limited edition car on the line. Sony would see pretty solid sales of online cars in that fashion I would expect, as losers would be replacing their cars, and at ~$1 a pop.

My real issue is what will they do concerning tracks? You shouldn't be limited in your online experience because you don't have every track downloaded. I'd prefer to see track packs where you can get 10 tracks for $3, 25 for $5, and when they finally get 51 tracks out you can buy them all for a one time download of $10.

Mrbob

BOHICA TIME back on.

I would be pissed if I were a huge GT fan.

Thank you horse armor. ;)

The funny thing is as a casual fan GT HD interests me. Now I can spend like 20 bucks on the game and get my fill. I wouldn't buy it for 60.

evilromero said:
I really hope they can get past the influence of the car companies and include full damage physics in the final game.
i'll never get why car companies have a problem with such things in games... but in movies they have no problem with their cars being blown to pieces and wrapped around pillars.

loosus said:
What I'm saying is that if you compare the offerings to GT4, which was a $50 game, you'd only even get near the same value if the components cost what I suggested. :(

That's the crux of the problem, which is why it's mystifying that people are sort scaling back their frustration if the game ends up costing $10. For the equivalent of, say, PGR3 (at launch, mind) you'd only end up with, what, 15 cars and 6 tracks?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
plagiarize said:
i'll never get why car companies have a problem with such things in games... but in movies they have no problem with their cars being blown to pieces and wrapped around pillars.

WOW! Again I agree with you. It's like you are my brother or something.

And if the game will cost the same as the Blu-ray disc and manual, then shouldn't that be like $5?

ourumov

isamu said:

Different genres...Gt can't be replaced by RR and RR can't be replaced with GT.

That said, I think I will be buying it...and I believe I will be spending around 40€ in total. All tracks for sure...and then some cars. I mean, my garage has always the same :

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V (Super-AWD)
Mazda RX-7 RZ (Super-RWD)
AE86 Sprinter Trueno (Normal-RWD)
Audi S3 (Normal-AWD)
Mitsubishi FTO (Normal FWD)
Volkswagen Golf (Normal FWD)
Nissan Skyline R33 (Super RWD)
Nissan ZZ Fairlady PD Edition (endurance)
TVR Cerbera (Super RWD)
Honda Civic (Normal FWD)

and then I'll throw some more cars...but considering I barely use US manufacturers and that my cars are always from Japanese/European I believe that in my case the ones losing will be PD/Sony and not me.

luffeN

here is the price for the game http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734935p1.html

Well this news might soften the blow just a bit. Japan's Impress Watch games site reports that, in comments made to the Japanese press, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that Sony plans to make GT HD available for the cost of the game disk and instruction manual. This suggests a retail price point of just a few dollars for the first PS3 Gran Turismo game.

ourumov said:
Different genres...Gt can't be replaced by RR and RR can't be replaced with GT.

That said, I think I will be buying it...and I believe I will be spending around 40€ in total. All tracks for sure...

54 (at least) times (an average of) $3. Probably more than forty Euros, depending on the exchange rate.

ourumov

BenjaminBirdie said:
54 (at least) times (an average of) $3. Probably more than forty Euros, depending on the exchange rate.
I understood those "54" included mirrored tracks and stuff like that...If they are different well...I guess I would go for the big ones. Let's make a list !

Nuburgring Norschleife
Special Stage R5 Night
Special Stage R11 (even though I have lost my faith in Yamauchi-sama realizing this is the best ****ing track to ever grace a GT game)
Hong-Kong
Deep Forest (I can pass on this, seriously...I could do it with the eyes closed)
Trial Mountain (same)
Seattle
Citta di Aria
El Capitan
Tokyo 246

I didn't know it was 3€ per track...that's a serious rape but I DOUBT they'll have the guts of charging us 3€ for Deep Forest (for instance). I really think that they are going to make packs at reasonable prices.
I seriously think that one can make his GT for less than 60€. If not, then screw them but if it is a feasible thing, I guess I'll fall in the trap.

Pimpwerx

ourumov said:
I understood those "54" included mirrored tracks and stuff like that...If they are different well...I guess I would go for the big ones. Let's make a list !

Nuburgring Norschleife
Special Stage R5 Night
Special Stage R11 (even though I have lost my faith in Yamauchi-sama realizing this is the best ****ing track to ever grace a GT game)
Hong-Kong
Deep Forest (I can pass on this, seriously...I could do it with the eyes closed)
Trial Mountain (same)
Seattle
Citta di Aria
El Capitan
Tokyo 246

I didn't know it was 3€ per track...that's a serious rape but I DOUBT they'll have the guts of charging us 3€ for Deep Forest (for instance). I really think that they are going to make packs at reasonable prices.
I seriously think that one can make his GT for less than 60€. If not, then screw them but if it is a feasible thing, I guess I'll fall in the trap.
I bolded the ones that matter most to me. I'd put Autumn Ring or Grand Valley too, just for setup purposes. I never used the Test Track, it's too damn big. I'd usually wring a car out around Autumn Ring or Grand Valley. Those tracks shouldn't be more than $1 though. They're too short. Hell, include those basic tracks in Classic for free. We're gonna get raped on the Nurburgring. $5 is my guess. I hope I'm wrong.

If the game costs a few bucks like a demo, then I'll get it. In GT1, I fully modded, prepped and raced every car I won. I didn't do that much in GT3. I could get by with a few dozen cars at most. Will there be a chance to test-drive a car? I would hate to buy one Skyline, only to realize that there was another model available that had a better power:weight ratio. Some sort of refund system or exchange system should be available. I'd rather not have to buy 5 or 6 Skylines just to find the right one.

Oh yeah, no online for Premium means that game is possibly less than a demo. PEACE.

Apex

jett said:
In the GT games I enjoyed trying out several high-end cars without saving my game, so I didn't really spend the FAKE MONEY in the game. I guess no more free test drives for anyone.

I hope an earthquake strikes right in the middle of Polyphony's office, with everyone inside it.
Auto saves don't let do this in GT4. The only free test drives were on the arcade car selection.

Angelcurio

Oni Jazar said:
Whether this is a rape or not all depends on the initial price. If it's cheap enough then I think this is an excellent idea to get a wide audience to try out your software. I've never bought a GT game at full price but I (and I imagine others) wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot for 20 or so bones. Those of you who think you'll want to buy every car can just take a look at this varied list of cars from GT4:

Nissan Skyline 1500 Deluxe (S50D-1) ('63)
Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) ('73)
Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS ('83)
Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C ('84)
Nissan Skyline GTS-R (R31) ('87)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) ('89)
Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) ('89)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GTS25 Type S (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) ('91)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R32) ('93)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 (R32) ('93)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II (R32) ('94)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('95)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec LM Limited (R33) ('96)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) ('97)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R33) ('97)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R Midnight Purple II (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec (R34) ('99)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 (R34) ('99)

Well to be honest, i just buy this car as my main car on GT games, then i go for the Suzuki Escudo, and pretty much every car i get after is for winning events.

Any idea how big the downloads will be? As its the tracks and cars we are talking GB's in downloads yes?

Most countries still have shitty ADSL/cable Infrastruture and crap Download limits. Im not gonna waste most of my usuage downloading a game when it can be stored on a Blu-Ray Disc.

oh yeah and I hope this ****ing tanks big time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Does nobody care about this news?

Well this news might soften the blow just a bit. Japan's Impress Watch games site reports that, in comments made to the Japanese press, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that Sony plans to make GT HD available for the cost of the game disk and instruction manual. This suggests a retail price point of just a few dollars for the first PS3 Gran Turismo game.

$5 people.

Top Bottom