• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon Zero Dawn footage.

Colin Moriarty said this is what they demoed behind closed doors at E3. Definitely odd that they didn't have something new for PGW.

Since its probably their fall 2016 game , they'd wanna keep the footage as scarce as possible yet keep the hype up given the crazy response it got at e3.
besides, the confirmed the next time they show the game itll be something completely new

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't. Need to see some sword combat then. And these shooting elements need to be optional.

Will watch it again, but be nice to see a full fight with just the sword. And I hope they keep the shooting elements optional. Or at least reduce them significantly. For now, I've seen that you have to aim at enemy weak points and shoot, then you also have to aim those ropes as traps, etc. Too much aiming and shooting in gameplay.

Cmon son

Famassu

Some stats dont really tell me this is an RPG. I want to see varied gameplay, choices, consequences, interactive dialogues. What I have seen so far is an action game with numbers. Almost every game today has numbers and levels, but I wouldn't classify Assassin's Creed or CoD as rpgs because of that.

I guess it depends on everyone's definition of RPG.
Or did I miss some footage where they showed it's an rpg in more than some numbers and hud elements ?
Stats are all they can really show at this point. This was the game's second showing and even then this was the same demo shown to press at E3. They aren't going heavily into the story or other more RPG-y gameplay elements of the game (over) a year from release but that doesn't mean they aren't there. They have talked about those other elements. This game will have exploration in a seamless open world, ruins to go through, several tribes to interact with, quests, crafting, skilltrees etc.

Then literally every 2nd game is an RPG by now and the moniker loses any relevance. How do we differentiate what we used to call RPGs then if everything has become an RPG.
You aren't completely incorrect. A lot of RPG sensibilities HAVE leaked into a lot of genres and that somewhat blurs the line between "true" RPGs and just games with (sometimes a lot of) RPG-ish elements. Still, the devs have described this as an RPG and described a lot of elements that usually people accept to make RPGs.. well, RPGs, so it's kind of silly how so many people want to try to deny this being an RPG just because the first demo of the game only shows action-y combat.

That said, there is still a somewhat noticeable difference between some core aspects of games like Watch_Dogs that have RPG elements and not-super-hardcore-D&D-cRPGs like Horizon that make Watch_Dogs simply an action/stealth game with some RPG-ish elements and Horizon an RPG that is maybe a bit more streamlined than your more hardcore pen & paper inspired cRPGs, but it's still an RPG nonetheless.

Agreed. I mean, it does look good. But, I'm keeping my $60 for now.
They've literally shown one small area with a single combat scenario approached in two different ways. It's not like this is all that the game has to offer yet you people keep acting like it is. -_______________-;

Showings like these are mostly meant to make people aware that a game like this exist and maybe even excite those who don't nitpick shit to death a year+ before release. To create some initial interest. Not to drive billions of people to throw their money at a GameStop employee at this very moment. They'll expand on the mechanics & other features of the game when we get closer to release and those will sell (or not) the game to an even larger audience. For a "first" showing, this E3 demo was a very strong one vs. all the BS Watch_Dogs game-is-actually-nothing-like-this-demo-we-are-showcasing & CGI crap that we see all too often as the first footage nowadays.

Cute comparison, except GG aren't one of the best developers in the industry with a proven record. Ooops.
From isn't either. As talented as their artists are, From Software have a lot of issues as a developer, especially on the technical side of things, though not limited to those. Fortunately for them, they struck gold with the Souls formula and have been riding that wave ever since.

viHuGi

Banned
People would somehow obstinately try and paint this bleak picture concerning Horizon. Although the game is likely a year away from release people will still try and act as if the game is releasing tomorrow. Frame-rate dips shouldn't even be a concern at this stage of development. The game looks wonderful and expansive with a lot of creative ideas. I think a lot of people will be looking a little foolish when the game rolls around.

Do you even read those guys posts?

They go straight into my ignore list, i can't stand people judging a pre alpha with those small ass problems lol

Famassu

It's fine if the game is more shooting oriented. I just won't play it. Like I said in my original comment "looks like a shooter, will pass." Unless they show sword combat to be adequate.
Shooting isn't optional in The Witcher 3, so I guess you skipped that too?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Cute comparison, except GG aren't one of the best developers in the industry with a proven record. Ooops.

Ohh wow...just cause they shat the bed with ShadowFall's SP doesn't mean they're mediocre but the narrative is attractive for those seeking narratives to hang to.

I don't. Need to see some sword combat then. And these shooting elements need to be optional.

Sword combat as in a sword that slices thick metal plates ala Metal Gear Rising? Might as well ask for fireballs to come out of her mouth.

YOGA FIRE!!!

Exentryk

Good argument.

Shooting isn't optional in The Witcher 3, so I guess you skipped that too?

You're wrong. That tag of yours is quite correct. 100% likely wrong.

Shooting IS optional in Witcher 3. You have decent alternatives like Sign abilities that do the same thing as bringing down airborne enemies. Signs are arguably a better way to do this even. Witcher 3 never makes you feel like the fights are longer or something because you're not using the crossbow. And even if you have to use the crossbow, there is an auto-aim button that automatically targets the enemy for you. All you have to do is tap the button. No annoying aiming required.

So, if this game is like that, then I'll be all for it. But I'm not seeing it currently.

Might as well ask for fireballs to come out of her mouth.

Wouldn't that be a cool ability? Throw in levitation too.

Looked pretty cool from the video, but I'm still adopting the 'wait and see' strategy for this. I never been overly impressed with Guerilla Games output, although their games do always look nice.

I do kinda wish they had gone with flesh and blood dinosaurs and not those robots. The don't appeal to me quite as much. The collecting of items and crafting is another thing that doesn't excite me at all. It seems to be present in 99% of the games I play these days and it really isn't fun in the slightest. I don't know why devs bother with it.

Zocano

I really hope there is no silly overdone story about why the world is the way it is and finding out its "mystery"

I just want to play in this world of robo dinos and sort of have environmental storytelling as a supplement to just sort of a simple survival story.

Servbot24

Banned
Colin Moriarty said this is what they demoed behind closed doors at E3. Definitely odd that they didn't have something new for PGW.

Makes sense to me. There are several PlayStation shows per year - if all they did was prepare demos they'd barely have any time to work on the actual game.

Zocano

And I really wish there weren't damage numbers. Kind of implies there will be cumbersome and meaningless "upgrading" like arrows that do five damage or ten damage but are exactly the same otherwise. Just make everything separate and unique tools with different functions and effectiveness.

I don't want to be limited arbitrarily in an exploration or survival or whatever game just because of a number. Limit it by making more effective and useful gear and weapons hard to come by.

A compass is way better than a mini map. Especially for games with open terrain. Mini maps are for games with cars in modern city.

The mini map doesn't encourage exploration. It even distracts you from looking at the environment around you and keeps you staring at that mini map to the point that sometimes I realize that I'm moving the character by looking at the mini map only. Following the waypoint line without actually looking at the environment.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A compass is way better than a mini map. Especially for games with open terrain. Mini maps are for games with cars in modern city.

The mini map doesn't encourage exploration. It even distracts you from looking at the environment around you and keeps you staring at that mini map to the point that sometimes I realize that I'm moving the character by looking at the mini map only. Following the waypoint line without actually looking at the environment.
I played The Witcher 3 for 80 hours without minimap because of this. By comparison I wouldn't hesitate to enable a standalone compass.

I agree that the hugeness of the compass like in Skyrim and Fallout is not necessary but a minimap with the optimal driving track on how to get to your objective is some sad shit. It feels like playing a WoW with modded quest-route-optimizers.

Fuck on-screen mini-maps and compasses. Those things should be incorporated a in-game items imo, like in the Metro games with your clipboard, and Far Cry with your map and compass. I can't stand that shit cluttering my screen in games for numerous reasons.

I wish missions were designed around exploration like they used to be, rather than the 'go here to win' forumla that games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout use. I'd rather have a loose description of where I have to go/ what or who I need to find over a marker or way-point. Those things have no place in open-world games imo.

And the trouble with simply turning those HUD elements off these days is most games aren't designed around exploration and finding things yourself. So you're at a disadvantage for wanting to actually appreciate and explore these huge worlds that are created for you. :/

EGM1966

Fuck on-screen mini-maps and compasses. Those things should be incorporated a in-game items imo, like in the Metro games with your clipboard, and Far Cry with your map and compass. I can't stand that shit cluttering my screen in games for numerous reasons.

I wish missions were designed around exploration like they used to be, rather than the 'go here to win' forumla that games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout use. I'd rather have a loose description of where I have to go/ what or who I need to find over a marker or way-point. Those things have no place in open-world games imo.

And the trouble with simply turning those HUD elements off these days is most games aren't designed around exploration and finding things yourself. So you're at a disadvantage for wanting to actually appreciate and explore these huge worlds that are created for you. :/
Yup agreed. I loved the way metro handled it. So immersive. Even in TPS I feel it's better to simply have you decide to "open your map" and check what you're doing.

In Witcher 3 I turned off all the map/HUD elements as they just distract from the world. Given the touchpad on PS4 if they can't work in something in game like Metro then just use a swipe of touchbad to briefly show a subtle marker than fades pretty quickly, like quick peek at a map. Hold touchpad to bring up a more definate navigation mode say.

Shredderi

So true. Metro games does this very well indeed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well if we're going with unrealistic scenarios then I would want no maps at all and you just have to navigate by landmarks.

Like the original Everquest at launch.

GnawtyDog

Banned

On point.

Can't wait for this game. It's early footage, so I'm able to forgive the rough fps and texture pop ins.
I love how you saying all of this with a straight face. I mean who knew a demo of a game that is not close to release will have FPS and texture pop in. I mean who could have guessed.

This folks is an example of why dev never show anything.

Tratorn

Gameplay looked amazing again in the new trailer/presentation, but it still made me more worried than before about the RPG part.
The "look here, we have loot and xp, it's a RPG"-comments were pretty embarrassing imo. A lot of games nowadays have these sort of things, even non-RPGs.

Sadly they said they'll show new stuff next year, so we probably have to wait pretty long for a new presentation where we hopefully can see a bit more than that.

I hope it's more than a modern (open world) Monster Hunter. That's why I can't wait to see a bit of the exploration part and a side quest (that hopefully is not only a "kill 5 machines" sort of thing).

Take that useless level meter out.
Compass should be button toggable. Like, press a button on the d pad to turn it on or off. Better than it fucking up the top part of the screen, better than having to "pause" gameplay by looking down to a map.

Javin98

Banned
I do kinda wish they had gone with flesh and blood dinosaurs and not those robots. The don't appeal to me quite as much. The collecting of items and crafting is another thing that doesn't excite me at all. It seems to be present in 99% of the games I play these days and it really isn't fun in the slightest. I don't know why devs bother with it.
To be fair, although I would prefer real dinosaurs too, I understand why GG could have gone with robot dinos. With the success of Jurassic World, a few devs are already making games with dinosaurs, so perhaps they thought it would be better to go for a slightly different approach while still maintaining the recognizable figures of dinosaurs.

Will watch it again, but be nice to see a full fight with just the sword. And I hope they keep the shooting elements optional. Or at least reduce them significantly. For now, I've seen that you have to aim at enemy weak points and shoot, then you also have to aim those ropes as traps, etc. Too much aiming and shooting in gameplay.
LOL, using a sword to fight a robot T-Rex? You heard it here, guys, in Jurassic World, Chris Pratt should have used a sword to fight the Indominus Rex. He could have even killed it before it escaped. The trolling in this thread is amazing.

Wow, looks like everyone got their knickers in a knot over me saying GG aren't a proven dev. From what i've seen so far of horizon, a few pretty corridor FPS games with very little gameplay depth or innovation isn't the kind of pedigree that gives me faith in a massive open world story-driven action/stealth RPG. The way the dev in this video is hyping up the HUD compass/level meter, basic loot system and "stealth grass" isn't exactly encouraging. Sorry if i come across pessimistic but after playing all of the killzone games i just don't have much faith that GG are going to hit this one out of the park.

Shin-Ra

I don't remember this happening in the video already released.

HorizonZDleg.gif

https://twitter.com/dejongemathijs/status/665089958982602752
#HorizonZD -> Dangerous if you fail. Perfect timing and well placed arrows topple charging robots. #FridayFact #PS4

Shin-Ra

They should reward that skilful takedown by having the canisters break off cleanly for speedy pickup. Explosive takedowns should break some of the canisters and direct kills require extra time to break the canisters off.

Wow, looks like everyone got their knickers in a knot over me saying GG aren't a proven dev. From what i've seen so far of horizon, a few pretty corridor FPS games with very little gameplay depth or innovation isn't the kind of pedigree that gives me faith in a massive open world story-driven action/stealth RPG. The way the dev in this video is hyping up the HUD compass/level meter, basic loot system and "stealth grass" isn't exactly encouraging. Sorry if i come across pessimistic but after playing all of the killzone games i just don't have much faith that GG are going to hit this one out of the park.
I think it's definitely fair to have concerns for GG, I'm personally cautiously optimistic. GG is a B-tier developer though, they make good games and made a really amazing game in Killzone 2 last generation.

My issue with them is mission design and writing. The characters and story range from trash to mediocre, and mission design is very good in K2, to solid/borderline snoozefest in Sleepzone.

Shin-Ra

The HZD team is made up of so many new people, aside from the technology running the game, past developments aren't very telling of what to expect.

Top Bottom