• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfurb

The only new lair pics here are, as yoboman pointed out, the ones that look like offscreen camshots. The other two are quite old. It's hard to tell if there was a DOWNGRADE TOTAL without seeing the footage those camshots were taken from

Yoboman said:
..So Factor 5 went and released screenshots of varying resolutions (two to match some resolution requirement of WI, but not the others) from obviously different builds (as one is at the least, a few months old [though much older I would wager]) and another from GDC) and of varying qualities. That is what you're suggesting?

That sounds awful silly to me :)

Yet again, I am not "suggesting" anything. The previous image has been available for a long time but was never released like this (for whatever reason) Magazines always request pics in large sizes to size them appropriately for print. Watch-Impress, among other Japanese sites, seem to have specs that require images to be within certain smaller resolutions. The two "new" pics are probably coming from SCEJ and that is the size they are distributing to websites. This is all pretty standard practice. but i guess you can wink or something. that will probably turn these it pictures taken at a secret event that never happened with a camera phone. ive heard emoticons are magical

Mifune

Mehmber
That third pic looks okay. First two don't. But the screens are so small, how can anyone tell for sure? Well, besides the first one. That one is bad at any size.

But do you guys really think that's what the final game will look like? This is Factor 5 we're talking about here. They pump out pretty pictures, if nothing else.

jett

D-Member
Man...Factor 5's games at least USED to be good-looking.

All we have here is a shitty-looking, undoubtedly shitty-playing(it is a F5 game, hello) game. Sony bomba, 25 mill down the toilet.

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
It's on the same ****ing page SPEEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What page? That's from the demonstration Factor 5 showed ages ago. Someone replied with this.

READ THE THREAD. SOMEONE ASKED FOR THE OLD SHOTS

lair_ps3.jpg

This is NOT what SolidsnakeX posted.

bigfurb

Speevy said:
What page? That's from the demonstration Factor 5 showed ages ago. Someone replied with this.

READ THE THREAD. SOMEONE ASKED FOR THE OLD SHOTS

lair_ps3.jpg

This is NOT what SolidsnakeX posted.
The watchimpress page sparky, I mean speevy

Hopefully when I wake up this thread will be 20 pages long and the SDF woulld have gone through all 5 stages of grief. Right now, quite a few are stuck in stage 1: Denial...

Kolgar

Oh shit, this is comic gold.

Face it, we ain't getting close to those bullshots. Killzone ought to be a REAL riot.

I'm so glad I'm not waiting for Sony to get their act together. If screens like this are any indication, I may not bother with them at all.

bigfurb

Speevy said:
I've seen that pic from a while back. The developer's conference.

mrkmas apparently hasn't.
And we all saw the crappy screenshot from a while back, the EGM article. like I said before the only new shots here are the two small offscreen camshots

Kangu

Banned
Kolgar said:

Face it, we ain't getting close to those bullshots. Killzone ought to be a REAL riot.

I'm so glad I'm not waiting for Sony to get their act together. If screens like this are any indication, I may not bother with them at all.

Bookmarked for future ownage.

bigfurb

TobitheCat said:
Hopefully when I wake up this thread will be 20 pages long and the SDF woulld have gone through all 5 stages of grief. Right now, quite a few are stuck in stage 1: Denial...
Kid, you need to work on your trolling. Your like what, 10 posts into GAF, mostly troll posts, and none of them have been even slightly witty

Speevy

Banned
mrkmas, read what I'm about to say very carefully.

That screenshot was NOT reshot or redone for Watch Impress.

It was part of a developer conference we saw ages ago.

Do you understand this? It is not part of a new build. It is quite literally the very same screenshot we've seen before.

The reason this thread exists is to show screens we haven't seen before.

The quality of the three shots and that one aren't even close.

It's not a new screen. Not from a new build. Old as dirt.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Speevy said:
I've seen that pic from a while back. The developer's conference.

mrkmas apparently hasn't.

I have seen that pic months ago. But why think one pic is real-time, while ALL the others are CGI?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Speevy said:
mrkmas, read what I'm about to say very carefully.

That screenshot was NOT reshot or redone for Watch Impress.

It was part of a developer conference we saw ages ago.

Do you understand this? It is not part of a new build. It is quite literally the very same screenshot we've seen before.

The reason this thread exists is to show screens we haven't seen before.

The quality of the three shots and that one aren't even close.

It's not a new screen. Not from a new build. Old as dirt.

So you freaking believe that the final game will look closer to the horrible first screen and less like the screen I'm posting?????

WHY???

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I have seen that pic months ago. But why think one pic is real-time, while ALL the others are CGI?

Factor 5 has always maintained that all their Lair demonstrations were real-time. These new screens don't look good. That doesn't mean Lair will look like crap, just that the game needs some work (as all games do).

Keep in mind that I haven't been the one screaming DOWNGRADESTATION 3 or FACTOR 5 SUCKS WASTE OF MONEY SONY. I just think the screens are ugly and don't compare to what's been presented before.

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So you freaking believe that the final game will look closer to the horrible first screen and less like the screen I'm posting?????

WHY???

No, I believe that the build from which these screens were taken in no way, shape, or form matches what they were able to achieve before.

The final game is up to F5. The game's promotion is up to Sony.

ELS-01X

Banned
Speevy said:
Factor 5 has always maintained that all their Lair demonstrations were real-time. These new screens don't look good. That doesn't mean Lair will look like crap, just that the game needs some work (as all games do).

Keep in mind that I haven't been the one screaming DOWNGRADESTATION 3 or FACTOR 5 SUCKS WASTE OF MONEY SONY. I just think the screens are ugly and don't compare to what's been presented before.
lair05.jpg

This one does.

Kangu

Banned
Speevy said:

Just throwing this out there as a possibility but some developers (like bizzare) have 2 builds of their games running. One with all the latest effects for screenshot purposes and one with heavily reduced graphics for playtesting purposes. The horrible shot with the disjointed tail, flat lighting, and low res textures could be from that build. Otherwise one of the most tallented graphics teams in the industry over the last 10 years is getting worse results on the PS3 than the Genji 2 team. Now that is hard to believe.

vantastic

Kolgar said:

i love posts like these. there are plenty of good looking games coming. one looks like crap and it's "game over"? :lol

JB1981

Kolgar said:

So you just willfully ignore all the other great-looking games coming to the system. You sir, are an Xbox.

ELS-01X

Banned
jett said:
The picture is ugly as hell. The water is all kinds of ****ed up and because of it it looks like the mountains are floating over it.
Yeah, the water looks kinda meh, but WTF about the mountains, they look perfectly fine and actually have nice topological detail. The lighting, although exaggerated, looks nice, specially on the rider.

EDIT:

No it doesn't. Not even close. The water looks kind of Alan Wakish which is awesome, but the dragon itself it just a mess.
How so? It doesn't look any worse than this:

lair_ps3.jpg

GeoramA

This just looks very early. I have no doubt it will look fantastic a couple of months before it releases like Resistance does now.

TheDuce22

Banned
Kangu must have a split personality.

Kangu said:
Looks like you're working overtime already in this thread.

Anyway I think the Forza team is extremely talented, so if this is the kind of compromise they had to make to get 60fps then it might be time to lower next gen expectations once again. Looks like these multicore procesors are built for 30.

Faizal

Banned
Kangu said:
Just throwing this out there as a possibility but some developers (like bizzare) have 2 builds of their games running. One with all the latest effects for screenshot purposes and one with heavily reduced graphics for playtesting purposes. The horrible shot with the disjointed tail, flat lighting, and low res textures could be from that build. Otherwise one of the most tallented graphics teams in the industry over the last 10 years is getting worse results on the PS3 than the Genji 2 team. Now that is hard to believe.

I don't see why that first pic is so unbelievable. There's supposed to be hundreds of those dragons on screen. Were people really expecting each one of them to be 200K+ polys and with all effects turned on? What they're doing here is on a much larger scale than anything in Genji 2.

I still think Factor 5 are fantastic developers, but they're not gods. People are just expecting too much.

-Rogue5-

Faizal said:
I noticed the smaller the screen is....the better it looks.....weird???

PSP exclusive confirmed... and with visuals that ass it should be a PSP/PS2 game.

Wollan said:
Something is wrong with the top right dragon.

Yeah, everything.

I'm very disappointed - sure the final might look (much?) better, but that pre-rendered stuff at E3 was dreamy...and supposed to NOT be pre-rendered. Lies. LIES... it's all lies...

Since they steal everything anyway, maybe it should be "beLIEve".

Speevy

Banned
ELS-01X said:
Yeah, the water looks kinda meh, but WTF about the mountains, they look perfectly fine and actually have nice topological detail. The lighting, although exaggerated, looks nice, specially on the rider.

EDIT:

How so? It doesn't look any worse than this:

lair_ps3.jpg

That second one appears to have more depth, more color (which can be an artistic choice), more detail of the body's structure, look at the neck for instance, look at the way the head is shaped, there's clearly a better model there.

Kangu

Banned
Speevy said:
No it doesn't. Not even close. The water looks kind of Alan Wakish which is awesome, but the dragon itself it just a mess. Artistically as well.

:lol wow. i said wow. you've gone off the deep as well. say hi to jett while you're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom