• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolgar

JB1981 said:
So you just willfully ignore all the other great-looking games coming to the system. You sir, are an Xbox.

Nah, Sony's just shaken my confidence in them so badly that I've gone from "ONE CONSOLE FUTURE FTW!" (meaning PS3) to, for the forseeable future, not considering PS3 at all.

I'm tired of the renders. I'm tired of the price tag. Of the delayed launch (Spring 2006 was never remotely possible and they knew it), of the reduced launch quantities. Blah blah blah, on and on and on.

Look, maybe these screens are from an old build. Maybe they're from an old PSone game. It doesn't matter. The screens aren't the problem. It's the screens ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE SONY'S MANAGED TO **** UP that's the problem.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Speevy said:
Factor 5 has always maintained that all their Lair demonstrations were real-time. These new screens don't look good. That doesn't mean Lair will look like crap, just that the game needs some work (as all games do).

Keep in mind that I haven't been the one screaming DOWNGRADESTATION 3 or FACTOR 5 SUCKS WASTE OF MONEY SONY. I just think the screens are ugly and don't compare to what's been presented before.

Of course this screen looks horrible. And before somebody calls me a sbot or part of the SDF do you guys remember this screenshot?

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060826044452383.jpg

Now did the movie look like that?

ELS-01X

Banned
Speevy said:
That second one appears to have more depth, more color (which can be an artistic choice), more detail of the body's structure, look at the neck for instance, look at the way the head is shaped, there's clearly a better model there.
To be fair, we're looking at the dark side of the dragon (on the newest screen) so not much detail can be really seen, compared to the old one. It's also farther from the camera.

bigfurb

-Rogue5- said:
PSP exclusive confirmed... and with visuals that ass it should be a PSP/PS2 game.

Yeah, everything.

I'm very disappointed - sure the final might look (much?) better, but that pre-rendered stuff at E3 was dreamy...and supposed to NOT be pre-rendered. Lies. LIES... it's all lies...

Since they steal everything anyway, maybe it should be "beLIEve".
The stuff at E3 wasn't prerendered they actually showed the same trailer at GDC but were able to pause it and move the camera around in realtime. If you want to claim it's downgraded (without actually seeing a recent build of it) that's fine and your perogative, but you can't say that it was pre-rendered

To be fair, we're looking at the dark side of the dragon (on the newest screen) so not much detail can be really seen, compared to the old one. It's also farther from the camera.
Something this obvious shouldn't have even needed to be pointed out, but this is what GAF has been reduced to lately

Kangu

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Kangu must have a split personality.

Lair is supposed to be 30 afaik
Turn 10 is not even close to being in F5 league, despite being very talented
I thought F2 was releasing in November at the time, so it should have been near final
Wait... what was your point?

sangreal

SolidSnakex said:
Same guy that claimed RE5 was running in real time on the 360? Yah doubtful.

i don't recall him saying that. I only recall him saying the 360 was the lead platform when the trailer was released. did I miss him saying outright it was running on 360 for the trailer?

he did say RR6 wouldn't be on 360 I think

mckmas8808

Stinkles said:
And Mckmas

So but this game is for the PS3 only. Oh sorry you already knew that, so that must be why you are trolling in this thread. :rolleyes:

sangreal said:
i don't recall him saying that. I only recall him saying the 360 was the lead platform when the trailer was released. did I miss him saying outright it was running on 360 for the trailer?

he did say RR6 wouldn't be on 360 I think

Yep he said it was running on the 360

YellowAce said:
OK here's a tip for the tards in this thread (too many of them to count). the RE5 video shown at the PS show was created on 360 kit.

Carry on.

*edit ^running^created

Speevy

Banned
Something this obvious shouldn't have even needed to be pointed out, but this is what GAF has been reduced to lately

I understand the concept of a bad screenshot, but good graphics have a certain visual impact about them that you can recognize under the worst conditions.

Jonnyram

He said created, not running.
Jeez, you couldn't even read his edited phrase at the bottom.

^x^y means "replace x with y".

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So but this game is for the PS3 only. Oh sorry you already knew that, so that must be why you are trolling in this thread. :rolleyes:

The correct answer was "No, I have no obligation to promote this game, because it is a video game and I'm just a gamer."

Jonnyram said:

It's kind of pointless to say it was created on the 360 if you aren't trying to suggest that it was real time. Otherwise it doesn't matter because its just FMV.

-Rogue5-

bigfurb said:
The stuff at E3 wasn't prerendered they actually showed the same trailer at GDC but were able to pause it and move the camera around in realtime. If you want to claim it's downgraded (without actually seeing a recent build of it) that's fine and your perogative, but you can't say that it was pre-rendered

You're probably right, but it doesn't matter... I still want a PSP version of this game (that isn't a watered down port.)

Seriously though, I was exaggerating to show my distaste for those screens... Ultimately, running at 60fps and 1080p will look a hell of a lot different than freeze-frame screens.

Yoboman

Faizal said:
I don't see why that first pic is so unbelievable. There's supposed to be hundreds of those dragons on screen. Were people really expecting each one of them to be 200K+ polys and with all effects turned on? What they're doing here is on a much larger scale than anything in Genji 2.

I still think Factor 5 are fantastic developers, but they're not gods. People are just expecting too much.
Because it would atleast look polished, they would atleast be able to make it look decent. As it is, it looks awful. Besides, I don't think they have many polys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgW81km74lk

Remember this video? The dragon in these screens does look like it's only in the polygonal stage without any mapping

mckmas8808

Speevy said:
I understand the concept of a bad screenshot, but good graphics have a certain visual impact about them that you can recognize under the worst conditions.

Did you see the Leipez Metal Gear Solid 4 screenshots that appeared before the video? What did you think of them?

Razoric said:
seriously this forum is almost becoming a parody of itself.

OMG DOWNGRADE HERE TAKE MY JACKET!

OMG IT LOOKS GOOD IN MOTION WHERE IS PS3? TIME TO PREORDER!

PS3 DELAYED? HOLY SHIT THEYLL LOSE! I WANT 360! SONYCOWBOY EVEN BOUGHT ONE!

360 NPD SUX! NINTENDO WAS RIGHT!

lol, so true. Things should get even better when TGS rolls in.:)

GreekWolf

Che has faith in the game.. therefore, I do as well

but I still think the troll from Project Offset kills anything in Lair

Hmmm... I've been thinking... is it possible (we'll make the, perhaps dubious, assumption that these latest screens are representative of the game currently) that somewhere in the middle of design F5 realized or was told the gameplay wasn't that great and changes were made to make it more, say DOD-ish, and as a result had to tone down the models? I orginally thought that the game was just riding dragons around, but it's now got ground battles, so I thought things might have changed and as a result they had to lower the quality of the dragon models.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Kangu said:
Sounds to me like he's a biased family shill.

Sounds to me like you're a jerk.

Nobody here knows anything about what this game is going to be like -- what's with all the negativity on a few screenshots? Unbelievable...

chespace said:

Nobody here knows anything about what this game is going to be like -- what's with all the negativity on a few screenshots? Unbelievable...

Hey che is there anything you can say about this game? Perhaps the type of gameplay? Someplace said it was more DOD-ish, that a fair statement? Sorry, if it's something you can't talk about.

xaosslug

chespace said:
Oh gaf... when will you ever learn.... :lol

Never, we're like goldfish, back and forth in the NeoGAFfish bowl util it's down the tawlet--or maybe, we're already there. I just blew my mind! :lol

bigfurb

chespace said:

C'mon che, this is GAF. Are you really that surprised?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope Sony don't try and push the bullshit 1080p thing. I want gorgeous graphics at 720p. Pushing for 1080p risks compromising the graphics so they won't look as good as they could if optimised for 720p

Nobody in the real world will see the benefit of 1080p anyway.

Unflattering pics yes, but since it's Factor 5, I'm holding out for more faith that on the visual front they are going to deliver some of best this new generation has to offer.

Either these are old news, or Factor 5 has been assimilated by Silicon Knights.

The only thing I ask of a Factor 5 game is to look nice in a screenshot. I don't even play them. That top screen shreds my corneas off every time I glance over it.

Kangu

Banned
chespace said:

overreact much? guess the thrashing you got in the forza 2 thread has you a bit on edge. my comment was tounge in cheek at any rate.

oh wai.. you called me a jerk. ban him lol

mckmas8808

Mefisutoferesu said:
Hmmm... I've been thinking... is it possible (we'll make the, perhaps dubious, assumption that these latest screens are representative of the game currently) that somewhere in the middle of design F5 realized or was told the gameplay wasn't that great and changes were made to make it more, say DOD-ish, and as a result had to tone down the models? I orginally thought that the game was just riding dragons around, but it's now got ground battles, so I thought things might have changed and as a result they had to lower the quality of the dragon models.

NO the game was always big in scope. I heard about this not to long ago.

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
It's kind of pointless to say it was created on the 360 if you aren't trying to suggest that it was real time. Otherwise it doesn't matter because its just FMV.
Oh, like FFXIII, you mean?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chespace said:

Where are we saying the game is shit? People are just saying those screenshots look shit. And that makes people wonder if the final game, due relatively soon, will also look bad - after previous examples have looked great.

Those screenshots, being the latest media being made available by the developer to the public, are the best source we have for judging the graphics. If there is no discussion, then this place would be pretty quiet.

"Hey look some new screenshots!"

"well I don't think they look good but we can't tell anything until the game is finished"

/thread.

I thought you'd have understood this from the Forza 2 thread?

chespace

Kangu said:
overreact much? guess the thrashing you got in the forza 2 thread has you a bit on edge. my comment was tounge in cheek at any rate.

oh wai.. you called me a jerk. ban him lol

I never call people jerks. That word is tongue in cheek too.

Otherwise I'd have called you a dick, at any rate.

But yes, it does bother me that folks will just write games off based on 3 screenshots. :)

Kangu

Banned
chespace said:

But yes, it does bother me that folks will just write games off based on 3 screenshots. :)

you're awfully petty compared to most developers on the board. :)

chespace

mrklaw said:
Where are we saying the game is shit? People are just saying those screenshots look shit. And that makes people wonder if the final game, due relatively soon, will also look bad - after previous examples have looked great.

Those screenshots, being the latest media being made available by the developer to the public, are the best source we have for judging the graphics. If there is no discussion, then this place would be pretty quiet.

"Hey look some new screenshots!"

"well I don't think they look good but we can't tell anything until the game is finished"

/thread.

I thought you'd have understood this from the Forza 2 thread?

Additionally... :)

I never said you guys were calling this game "shit".

I'm just wondering where all this negative bloodlust comes from based on a few screens. Okay, so it doesn't look like the initial CG trailers, but did you really think that was real-time? Is this really what next-gen has come down to?

Dante

:lol @ this thread. Even if it ends up being downgraded, those shots still look better then like 90% of the next gen games out there. Also that top shot was in EGM months ago, so it's most likely from an older build of the game. I'm not saying it's gonna match the videos, but the game is gonna be a looker, too bad Factor 5's games suck in the gameplay dept :(

chespace said:

Amen...

Unfortunately with the whole fanboy/console warz happening there will never be a point where people just stfu, and wait to make impressions until the final release of the game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
that was running on X360 too! ;)
Don't forget Forza2 - that was on 360 too. The only reason for people criticising new shots (and the delay) is because it was moved to PS3.

Should be fun when new Gundam stuff shows up here...

Once again...shouting at out-of-context/old screenshots ftl. Wait at least until there is some video of the game to make a judgement.

I'm beginning to think this next-generation is not the problem. Rather, the fans (and anti-fans and numerous [viral] marketers on all sides that egg these pointless discussions on) are the problem.

When the games come out, they'll be cool. This bitching happened exactly the same way for the X360 prior to launch, as it did with the PS2 and all other cosoles prior to their respective launches. The proliferation of the interweb has made the hype-train worse, of course. But expectations are always retarded for videogames. Why?

ELS-01X

Banned
Dante said:
:lol @ this thread. Even if it ends up being downgraded, those shots still look better then like 90% of the next gen games out there. Also that top shot was in EGM months ago, so it's most likely from an older build of the game. I'm not saying it's gonna match the videos, but the game is gonna be a looker, too bad Factor 5's games suck in the gameplay dept :(
They don't. Only Rebel Strike has sucked so far and only because of the ground missions. The flying mechanics weren't perfect but they were pretty solid.

DCharlie

Banned
Don't forget Forza2 - that was on 360 too. The only reason for people criticising new shots (and the delay) is because it was moved to PS3.

Forza hasn't been moved to the PS3... it's been moved to the Dreamcast ;)

Can't wait for GAF to see Gundam 360 too, it'll be awesome not like that PS3 crap.

It'll be crap undoubtably - but i don't think the Xbots are holding that one up in the same way as Lair.

proliferation of the interweb has made the hype-train worse, of course. But expectations are always retarded for videogames. Why?

it's a console war - i'm pretty sure most xbots remember the last year or so of crap they had to put up with (wallguy etc) - and whilst you are right in everything you say, you just know that people are going to jump on the same sort of screenshot feckups when Sony do them. It's all about oneupmanship and , yes, it's totally shite.

I can't wait till Gears of War comes out so it can get all the effing Next-Gen doubters a big kick in the ass.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are both highly capable machines and we have only seen the beginning. Once people actually play something that shows a bit of what the future holds, more people will be less judgemental and doubtful that developers won't be able to polish up their games by release.

jett

D-Member
Jonnyram said:

It was created on Maya or something similiar, if anything. Keep the faith alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom