• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faizal

Banned
Okay, so it doesn't look like the initial CG trailers, but did you really think that was real-time? Is this really what next-gen has come down to?

Looking at what's happened on this forum ever since E3 2005, I would say, yeah, a lot of people did.....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chespace said:
Additionally... :)

I never said you guys were calling this game "shit".

I'm just wondering where all this negative bloodlust comes from based on a few screens. Okay, so it doesn't look like the initial CG trailers, but did you really think that was real-time? Is this really what next-gen has come down to?

I extrapolated from your 'negativity'.

Anyway, that first shot is shit, so I've said it now.

I'm not expecting it to look like the shiny wet CG that has been shown previously, but I expect it to look better than that first shot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any comments I may make about screenshots are merely transitory in nature, and I reserve the right to update those views based on subsequent imagery

Faizal said:
Looking at what's happened on this forum ever since E3 2005, I would say, yeah, a lot of people did.....
Seeing how the developers themselves said that the E3 2005 trailer was actualy gameplay, I can't blame them.

Kangu

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Sony in alot of ways effed up this generation with that E3 2005 press conference.

Although I agree with this I find the promise of next gen that Sony made is more in line with what I expect and want from next gen than what has actually been delivered. So much so that I'm having trouble justifying 'jumping in'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kangu said:
Although I agree with this I find the promise of next gen that Sony made is more in line with what I expect and want from next gen than what has actually been delivered. So much so that I'm having trouble justifying 'jumping in'.

I agree, although I tend to jump in anyway :p

Currently Xbox-360 is like gamecube-Wii, just a turbo boost really.

I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised in the next few years. (well I bloody hope so anyway)

Kangu said:

Well I think by the end of the console generation games will look close to those target renders but... as you said it makes the Xbox 360 games of today seem pathetic. I mean its like if a salesman showed you a new HDTV, that absolutely blew your mind away, only to be told a second later that it won't be available to purchase until 2009. All the other HDTV's in the store suddenly would look alot worse in comparison, even if you know they are the best of the best at that moment of time.

Kangu said:
All of us had high next gen expectations, no one can deny that. I remember people calling the first Killzone screens 'unimpressive' and 'underwhelming'. Something like Naughty Dog's new game or 8 Days would have been considered dissapointing or 'not next gen enough' prior to 2005. Now they're considered the cream of the crop or target renders. It's hilarious to see how much people have lowered their expectations. Like I've said before, I though Gears of War would be the bare minimum that we would see this generation from all developers.

Kangu

Banned
mrklaw said:
I agree, although I tend to jump in anyway :p

Currently Xbox-360 is like gamecube-Wii, just a turbo boost really.

I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised in the next few years. (well I bloody hope so anyway)

I hope so. I can't remember a generation leap where the new consoles didn't at least blow PCs out of the water for 1.5-2 years. Doesn't seem to be happening this gen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Karma Kramer said:
Sony in alot of ways effed up this generation with that E3 2005 press conference.

Go to the latest Motorstorm thread.

Guys you need to understand that this "next-generation" is only starting. Those videos from E3 2005 will become true even if they aren't the same games from that year. Trust me.

Why wouldn't this be true?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JB1981 said:
Is Che GoFreak?

Che is chespace :lol

Anyway, the first shot is a bit disappointing. The others look more becoming, but the size of the shots makes it difficult to see. It'll be interesting to see how it looks at TGS - I'm loathe to write off Factor5 here.

mckmas8808 said:
Go to the latest Motorstorm thread.

Guys you need to understand that this "next-generation" is only starting. Those videos from E3 2005 will become true even if they aren't the same games from that year. Trust me.

Why wouldn't this be true?

motorstorm-20060117013042007.jpg

motorstorm-20050916044641246.jpg

motorstorm-20060704031131622.jpg

These are all screens from E3 2005... oh wait... actually the last one is from about a month ago. But still the difference is basically impossible to tell.

JB1981

gofreak said:
Che is chespace :lol

Anyway, the first shot is a bit disappointing. The others look more becoming, but the size of the shots makes it difficult to see. It'll be interesting to see how it looks at TGS - I'm loathe to write off Factor5 here.

:lol Sorry, man.

Kangu said:
Not that your comparison pic is very good but...:lol :lol :lol how did anyone ever believe this? It's like enhanced reality.

It seems stupid to believe now, but alot of people actually thought it was real-time.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow.

So uh, I guess everyone can finally admit that everything we've seen tilll now from Lair is CG finally? I didn't read through the thread so I dunno if people all of a sudden pretended to know this or not...

The differences are so huge that it's just... man... it's as if devs shouldn't even DO CG movies and not say anything if it's real or not, because it'll hurt the people that don't know any better... badly...

Terrible, just terrible... even the so-called best fire ever seen in a game looks horrid...

Kangu

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Wow.

So uh, I guess everyone can finally admit that everything we've seen tilll now from Lair is CG finally? I didn't read through the thread so I dunno if people all of a sudden pretended to know this or not...

The differences are so huge that it's just... man... it's as if devs shouldn't even DO CG movies and not say anything if it's real or not, because it'll hurt the people that don't know any better... badly...

Terrible, just terrible... even the so-called best fire ever seen in a game looks horrid...

Bookmarked for future ownage as well.

Keep doubting F5's graphics skillz, I'm enjoying it.

bigfurb

Skilotonn said:
Wow.

oy vey

ELS-01X

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Wow.

ELS-01X said:
Only the E3 footage has been CG so far.

jett

D-Member
Kangu said:
Not that your comparison pic is very good but...:lol :lol :lol how did anyone ever believe this? It's like enhanced reality.

Everyone focused on Killzone at the time, but the Motorstorm trailer was by far the biggest pile of bullshit of the lot, to me. What they shown was just unachievable, in motion especially.

mckmas8808

Karma Kramer said:
It seems stupid to believe now, but alot of people actually thought it was real-time.

So I ask you good sir.

What's the ceiling for next-gen games?

Jett my question goes to you too.

Kangu

Banned
jett said:
Everyone focused on Killzone at the time, but the Motorstorm trailer was by far the biggest pile of bullshit of the lot, to me. What they shown was just unachievable, in motion especially.

Damned if it didn't look fun though. A rally game that chaotic, fast and interactive is what I'm talking about regarding the promise of next gen. The reality of next gen is far less interesting.

mckmas8808

Kangu said:
Damned if it didn't look fun though. A rally game that chaotic, fast and interactive is what I'm talking about regarding the promise of next gen. The reality of next gen is far less interesting.

The reality of next-gen is just starting Kangu. What's up man? You are a smart guy.

Why are you falling into this trap also?

Wow these look nothing like the cgi trailer downgraded!!!. And wow at those motorstorm pics. I hope for better news at tgs as it doesnt look good for sony no euro launch 100k for homeland 400k for usa downgrade am cry games.

Faizal

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So I ask you good sir.

What's the ceiling for next-gen games?

Jett my question goes to you too.

For me the ceiling would be something like Crysis, since those devs have said that the next gen consoles are too weak to run Crysis. So I would expect the ceiling to be something just a bit below that.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kangu said:
Bookmarked for future ownage as well.

Keep doubting F5's graphics skillz, I'm enjoying it.

No problem... I'm commenting on what I'm looking at right now, compared to the movies I've seen all this time, where Factor 5 wouldn't just say that it was CG, and lots, and I mean, lots, of people ate it up...

The first pic and everythnig we've seen before that are practically night and day from each other - from the sky and surroundings to being able to easily count polygons on the dragons... come on, look at that tail...

And the other pics, although smaller, look worse...

If they can make it look like the CG in the end, good for them - it sure as hell look like they can't from now - usually the first pics give you a pretty damn good idea of the what the rest of the game will look like, polygon-wise atleast...

ELS-01X said:
Only the E3 footage has been CG so far.

I'll have to wait till I get home this evening till I watch this, since I gotta leave like right now, I've probably seen it already though...

mckmas8808

Faizal said:
For me the ceiling would be something like Crysis, since those devs have said that the next gen consoles are too weak to run Crysis. So I would expect the ceiling to be something just a bit below that.

I was going to throw the LOL emotican at you, but I won't because you gave me an honest answer.

BUT

Dude Crysis is the tip of the iceberg. If you search hard enough you will find games are approaching that level of graphics now (for 2007 released titles).

AAA Games in 2008+ will most defenitly look better than Crysis. I wish I could bet you money.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
how did anyone ever believe this? It's like enhanced reality.

everyone was drunk on the dewdrops from under the Cell-beasts apparently huge testicles.

mckmas8808

Skilotonn said:
No problem... I'm commenting on what I'm looking at right now, compared to the movies I've seen all this time, where Factor 5 wouldn't just say that it was CG, and lots, and I mean, lots, of people ate it up...

The first pic and everythnig we've seen before that are practically night and day from each other - from the sky and surroundings to being able to easily count polygons on the dragons... come on, look at that tail...

And the other pics, although smaller, look worse...

If they can make it look like the CG in the end, good for them - it sure as hell look like they can't from now - usually the first pics give you a pretty damn good idea of the what the rest of the game will look like, polygon-wise atleast...

I'll have to wait till I get home this evening till I watch this, since I gotta leave like right now, I've probably seen it already though...

Hey buddy does to look bad to you?

lair_ps3.jpg

Faizal

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I was going to throw the LOL emotican at you, but I won't because you gave me an honest answer.

BUT

Dude Crysis is the tip of the iceberg. If you search hard enough you will find games are approaching that level of graphics now (for 2007 released titles).

AAA Games in 2008+ will most defenitly look better than Crysis. I wish I could bet you money.

But those are PC games, which are designed within the context of constantly increasing PC graphic card power. Consoles are stuck with the same technology forever.

To be brutally realistic, the technology in both the PS3 and X360 will be "old" by the time 2007 rolls around.

Also stuff like resolution, frame rates, etc play a big factor. Devs can make games look much prettier at lower resolutions and frame rates. I'm suspecting that we'll be seeing more and more 720p 30fps games in the future to make them "compete" with the more advanced PC games.

And Crysis runs in really high resolutions. Will the PS3 be able to run that someday at 1080p and 60 fps? I'm not that optimistic.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

this is getting silly

The sony guys are only going to believe the good shots
and the Xbots are only going to believe the bad shots.

:/

see one of the 4 "PES on X360" threads for a reversal.

mckmas8808

Faizal said:
But those are PC games, which are designed within the context of constantly increasing PC graphic card power. Consoles are stuck with the same technology forever.

To be brutally realistic, the technology in both the PS3 and X360 will be "old" by the time 2007 rolls around.

Also stuff like resolution, frame rates, etc play a big factor. Devs can make games look much prettier at lower resolutions and frame rates. I'm suspecting that we'll be seeing more and more 720p 30fps games in the future to make them "compete" with the more advanced PC games.

And Crysis runs in really high resolutions. Will the PS3 be able to run that someday at 1080p and 60 fps? I'm not that optimistic.

It doesn't need to run in 1080p @ 30fps. Plain and simple PS3 and 360 games will look better than Crysis before it's all said and done.

And DC if the game already looks like this....

lair_ps3.jpg

Why should I believe that a game that is probably coming out 6 to 12 months from now will look like the first screenshot?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Moderation Unlimited said:
ss02.jpg

ss04.jpg

ss01.jpg

How about these.
The fact that they still show the same GDC image (which is from march 06 I remind you) on the japan Lair website doesnt give us any clue to how old these shots are. I'm waiting on hands on TGS playable reports and other info for the real judge of Lair. Not these screens.

alterego

Something weird is going on here.
The first shot and the second two look like they are from two different games.

None of them looks as good as the leaked screen from GDC.

The first screen in particular just looks dreadful - almost like a quick test, without anything being applied.

Lair is officially on notice until TGS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is it my monitor, or are these latest ones really dark? Turning up the brightness, though, and they seem far more flattering as far as the dragon models go.

jiggle

gofreak said:
Is it my monitor, or are these latest ones really dark? Turning up the brightness, though, and they seem far more flattering as far as the dragon models go.

nope
not just your monitor

ss02.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Faizal said:
I'm suspecting that we'll be seeing more and more 720p 30fps games in the future to make them "compete" with the more advanced PC games.
Yes, that's why PS2 games nowadays are targetting 1fps these days to compete with "more advanced PC games".

Not that developers are immune to cock measuring contests (the opposite really, some of the worst fanboy comments I've ever heard were actually from developers), but in the end you are concerned about selling the game, and cock measuring against a platform where you won't even sell it, is rather pointless (not to mention dumb).

Brashnir

Kangu said:
I hope so. I can't remember a generation leap where the new consoles didn't at least blow PCs out of the water for 1.5-2 years. Doesn't seem to be happening this gen.

last gen never blew PCs away, much less for 2 years.

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:

lair_ps3.jpg

Hello McFly, anybody home?

It's already been explained MULTIPLE TIMES to you that the shots in that website are from different times. The fact that said website posted them together in a news report means DICKWAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom