• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
LevelNth said:
I wonder if one day, maybe just for a little bit, a screenshot thread will actually turn out well on GAF...
Look at the new Motorstorm and HS threads...those are very positive because the games look f*cking fantastic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chespace said:
Okay, so it doesn't look like the initial CG trailers, but did you really think that was real-time? Is this really what next-gen has come down to?
First of all, of course it WAS realtime - when they paused the GDC trailer and moved the camera around dragons. They also had this huge splash screen in it saying "The following footage is entirely realtime".

How is it anyones but their own fault that people expect game to look like that when they had GDC presentation talking about high polycounts and up to 11 texture layers in their game, showing that same trailer and manipulating it in realtime?

E3 trailer is a whole other story (that was prerendered), but there's no way anyone can say GDC one was not running in realtime, and if they can't achieve that kind of graphics, it's them being deceiving.

Nebur

What do you think about a new name for the game?

Puff, game still so fun i think but anyway i hope it will have better graphics on the reatil version :(

dark10x

firefoxsux said:
sorry. pushing it.
So you honestly don't think Heavenly Sword looks fantastic? If you aren't impressed by that, I can't imagine how high your standards must be.

E3 trailer is a whole other story (that was prerendered), but there's no way anyone can say GDC one was not running in realtime, and if they can't achieve that kind of graphics, it's them being deceiving.
You can't help but think that they were simply spending too much time on visuals alone while ignoring the game itself. Hopefully they'll find a middle ground and be able to deliver a good game with visuals much closer to what they first showed us.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
So you honestly don't think Heavenly Sword looks fantastic? If you aren't impressed by that, I can't imagine how high your standards must be.

Firefox can't speak english OR praise a game on a Sony system unabashedly.

looks good. yes.
****ing fanastic. pushing it.
room for improvement. areas to clean up. motorstorm need to work harder. agree?

my standards are low. afaik.

dark10x

firefoxsux said:
looks good. yes.
****ing fanastic. pushing it.
room for improvement. areas to clean up. motorstorm need to work harder. agree?

my standards are low. afaik.
So, what do you find impressive then? Lemme guess, Gears of War? :p

Elios83

dark10x said:

:lol :lol :D You're a prophet :lol

Anyway I think Factor 5 should comment on this.If they can't deliver a TGS demo with the quality of their supposedely real time trailers they don't deserve credibility and my money (I was so interested in this title :( )

Yoboman

I really don't think these are accurate. The first screen looks Xbox quality or worse, it lacks any real effects that would make it next gen. No mapping, no per pixel lighting, no HDR. Even if they did water it down, I can't see what could POSSIBLY spur them to pull all those effects. They would atleast shape it into a more admirable form aswell. The other pics aren't much better, that army storming forth in parallel lines? They could atleast assign animation routines so they run their own course. There appears to be no lighting in that scene aswell. It all looks too unfinished. I'll keep faith, you don't go from being one of the best most ambitious graphical houses to producing such a horrid looking game (after previously having shown it looking superb)

Amir0x

Banned
firefoxsux said:
yes GOW is more refined as it launching in november.
HS is very good grfx too but need a refining of HDR bloom.
LP seems like HD last gen + more crazy effects
DMC4 seems like HD last gen but cleanup + refined
MGS4 seems powerful but need a refining of yellow tone + masked lighting
COD3 seems an upgrade worthy

these are some that left an impression. different taste for me bud.

****ing fantastic is too early. pushing it for motorstorm. agree?

not about 360 or ps3. look at the big pic and your wordings.

is there like a forum where you go to talk to people that understand your moon language? I can't ever understand what you are saying :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
is there like a forum where you go to talk to people that understand your moon language? I can't ever understand what you are saying :lol

FuSoYa has joined your party.

You can now understand moon language!

Certainly! GOW is more refined as it has to be-- it is launching in November.
Actually, the rest of what I said is totally inane and silly, so it was filtered out by the Earth-Moon language translator!.

dark10x

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me either.

yes GOW is more refined as it launching in november
That's where I disagree heavily, though. Games like HS, Motorstorm, and MGS4 are all delivering truly outstanding animation and motion like nothing else. Gears of War is beautiful in stills, but once it starts creaking along with weak animation and unstable framerate, it loses a lot of its luster. It is not more refined at all.

Hell, with DMC4, at least we are getting great detail at 60 fps with animation that is likely to knock our socks off.

It's like you are judging everything based on still shots. If that were the case, yes, Gears of War is right at the top...

Don't get me wrong, Gears should be awesome and I'm excited for it (I think they WILL deliver), but Epic has yet to release any game with the same quality of animation as we are seeing in some of those other titles. It no longer animates poorly like it did in 2005, but it still has a LONG way to go.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
Gears of War is beautiful in stills, but once it starts creaking along with weak animation and unstable framerate, it loses a lot of its luster. It is not more refined at all.
I think you are in a for a big slap on the face come X06 :)
Of course it won't be 60fps, so you don't care in the first place ;)

dark10x

Blimblim said:
I think you are in a for a big slap on the face come X06 :)
Of course it won't be 60fps, so you don't care in the first place ;)
I don't expect many games to run at 60 fps this gen. I've already lost that hope. I can deal with a CONSTANT 30 fps with no tearing, however. Is that what we are talking about here?

If you're right, though, I will be very pleased. The game is fantastic looking. With a nice leap forward on the animation and framerate front, we could be looking at one hell of a nice package.

Believe it or not, I'm very excited for the game. It's one of my most anticipated titles this Fall and I'm hoping that the guys at Epic come through.

dark10x said:

yes. here are some.

GOW - more refined. launching in november. duh.
HS - great. just lower the HDR bloom.
LP - last gen HD + more crazy effects
DMC4 - last gen HD + cleanup and refined
MGS4 - great. just refine the green tone + masked lighting
COD3 - upgrade worthy of a sequel
Halo3 - use of next gen shading tricks

"****ing fantastic" is pushing it. games like motorstorm is pushing one too far. agree?

my expectations of ps3 and 360 graphics are the same. answer me why should it be about ps3 and 360?

i think i want tell you is look at the big pic and your wordings carefully.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Gamers have turned into such nitpickers, its like an addict that keeps wanting more and more to satisfy their fix. In the past few months i've heard people bitch about the graphics in games like Mgs4, GOW, and DMC. Are you guys nuts?!?! These games look f-ing amazing.

People are expecting Lord of The RIngs imagery in every single game it seems. Shit no wonder Nintendo went with the Wii. Who needs the hear people bitching about grass after spending 15+ mill plus on a game :lol

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Doc Holliday said:
Gamers have turned into such nitpickers, its like an addict that keeps wanting more and more to satisfy their fix. In the past few months i've heard people bitch about the graphics in games like Mgs4, GOW, and DMC. Are you guys nuts?!?! These games look f-ing amazing.

People are expecting Lord of The RIngs imagery in every single game it seems. Shit no wonder Nintendo went with the Wii. Who needs the hear people bitching about grass after spending 15+ mill plus on a game :lol

ask 400+ for the console, 60 for the games, that's the result

Bud said:
PLAGIARIZE WHERE ARE YOU

RESPOND TO POST NO 342!!1
okay :)

i'm not saying that the screenshot makes the game look OMG DOWNGRADETON.

i'm saying that, if you're going to try and take that screenshot and say 'HEY it looks awful' or 'HEY it looks amazing' that it's very difficult to do so.

we see one dragon on the screen in a game that's meant to show 1000s. the contrast and brightness of the shot makes it VERY HARD to see any detail or lack their of in the dragon without throwing it through a bunch of filters in a vague attempt to 'fix' it.

i'm saying that i'd bet a lot of money that with a bit of effort, a screenshot straight from that build of the game could have been taken that much better showed off their real ingame assets and looked amazing without ****ing about with them.

my post was about 'artistically, resolution, gamma etc' not about technically.

there are somethings that are technically nice about the shot (love the volumetric fog) but it's impossible to tell if there's any kind of normal mapping on the dragon (which i'm sure there is), and the shadows and reflections of the land and water looks a bit... off. there's fire flying about in the background and no indication of what it's come from or why.

i'm just saying that i bet i could have taken a much better screenshot with only small effort.

edit: i've just noticed you linked me the 'fixed' screenshot. i was commenting on the original one. IF YOU RELEASE A SCREENSHOT THAT NEEDS TO HAVE IT'S BRIGHTNESS AND GAMMA FIXED YOU PROBABLY RELEASED A SCREENSHOT THAT DOESN'T DO YOUR GAME JUSTICE AND IS THEREFORE A BAD REPRESENTATION OF YOUR GAME.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
I don't expect many games to run at 60 fps this gen. I've already lost that hope. I can deal with a CONSTANT 30 fps with no tearing, however. Is that what we are talking about here?

If you're right, though, I will be very pleased. The game is fantastic looking. With a nice leap forward on the animation and framerate front, we could be looking at one hell of a nice package.

Believe it or not, I'm very excited for the game. It's one of my most anticipated titles this Fall and I'm hoping that the guys at Epic come through.
I did not see it myself unfortunately, but the few people who saw a recent build running where all completely floored by how well the game moved (and look of course). It seems that the new renderer they are now using is doing wonders.
Anyway, back to Lair.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Bud said:
you're saying this is crappy?

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8513/ss04is7.jpg[/IMG]

wow
seems kinda barren and lifeless to me. that's probably for artistic/stylistic reasons rather than technical though.

<nu>faust

Amir0x said:
amirox relax easy a bit won't we? look at the big pic and your wordings...firefox uses different taste bud documentations that mention person as ****ing too early for his age. pushing it much jelly? refining of little masked lighting hood? who knows ! All we know is U.N is not a shame to fall behind Cell in physics possibilities result in orders of magnitude faster. Firefox is the new past. Enjoy your meal and believe in karmacoma defence centric shader architecture that will stop discs wangling for lower expectations.360 is very powerful in built too!

dark10x

my expectations of ps3 and 360 graphics are the same. answer me why should it be about ps3 and 360?

i think i want tell you is look at the big pic and your wordings carefully.
&#12362;&#12414;&#12360;&#12434;&#35328;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12463;&#12477;&#12434;&#12393;&#12358;&#12420;&#12387;&#12390;&#29702;&#35299;&#12391;&#12365;&#12427;&#12398;&#12363;&#65374;&#65311;&#33521;&#35486;&#12434;&#35441;&#12379;&#12394;&#12356;&#12398;&#65311;Errr, oops. :p

I did not see it myself unfortunately, but the few people who saw a recent build running where all completely floored by how well the game moved
That is great news. Here's hoping it's all true!

Yoboman

<nu>faust said:
amirox relax easy a bit won't we? look at the big pic and your wordings...firefox uses different taste bud documentations that mention person as ****ing too early for his age. pushing it much jelly? refining of little masked lighting hood? who knows ! All we know is U.N is not a shame to fall behind Cell in physics possibilities result in orders of magnitude faster. Firefox is the new past. Enjoy your meal and believe in karmacoma defence centric shader architecture that will stop discs wangling for lower expectations.360 is very powerful in built too!
WTF :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
<nu>faust said:

Hmmm... you might want to get yourself checked out for aphasia...

<nu>faust

Zaptruder said:
Hmmm... you might want to get yourself checked out for
aren't we pushing it much jelly by direction of unified question wording to me my little masked lighting hood shader ?

ps:homsaarrrrulzzzz!
ps2: sorry for derailment

Zenith

Banned
Zaptruder said:
I swear to God I've seen better fire effects on the PS2. Just what the **** is this shit. Just what the ****.

Seems like more hyperbolic ****tard ranting off a few mediocre shots.

well actually Resident Evil 4's fire was way above what's in those shots so he's right.

Snizzity ap. If that's not from a CG cutscene I'd be impressed.

but Just Cause manages the same water effects+big environments with multiple objects doing their thing. if that's CG then I'll be very disappointed.

SantaC

dark10x said:

There is always Metroid Prime 3 with 60fps locked :)

jett

D-Member
Nebur said:
What do you think about a new name for the game?

Puff, game still so fun i think but anyway i hope it will have better graphics on the reatil version :(

Ahaha, that's perfect. ****in' Liars.

Over-promise and under-deliver seems to be Sony and MS mantra this generation. Nintendo kept it modest and in the end they may end up being on top.

dark10x

SantaC said:
There is always Metroid Prime 3 with 60fps locked :)
I'm actually pretty happy that Wii will offer lots of 60 fps titles, but of course, the flipside of that coin is that I'm used to current gen games at 60 fps as they were extremely common already. So, basically, I'm just going to be getting more of what I've already had (visually).

I really want to see next-generation visuals at 60 fps.

ELS-01X

Banned
jett said:
Maybe, but it just looks so bad to me in that picture.

mcfly: yes, it seems not only has the game been heavily downgraded, but we've also been getting duped since last year, with factor 5 passing off CG as real-time stuff. That's how it seems to me after seeing these pics.
Oh yes, keep ignoring this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgW81km74lk

It's just like ignoring Kojima's TGS Demonstration. It wasn't CG.

OH and Factor 5 said it was Sony's fault to not show their amazing game at E3 but they were ready :lol :lol :lol

This seems pretty ready to me:

lair_ps3.jpg

well actually Resident Evil 4's fire was way above what's in those shots so he's right.
Well, it's also above any other game in existance so far :lol

jett

D-Member
Because it needs to be done:

What was promised:

6184.jpg

6835.jpg

What we got:

lair03.jpg

lair04.jpg

ELS-01X: that stuff might have been real time, it doesn't matter anymore as the game doesn't look like that, now does it.

ELS-01X

Banned
Elios83 said:
Too bad that has nothing to do with the recent screens. This will give me nightmares tonight :lol :

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060908/lair03.jpg

I've always been the first to say that screens can be deceiving but this is too much.......
But I'm waiting for TGS,I'm interested in the game and I hope they deliver at least the quality promised in the real time trailers.
Oh yeah, let's totally ignore this

ss02.jpg

and this:

ss04.jpg

and this:

ss01.jpg

Which look perfectly on par with the GDC build.

ELS-01X: that stuff might have been real time, it doesn't matter anymore as the game doesn't look like that, now does it.
And you know the screen you posted is from a newer build than the ones I just posted how? Oh yeah, it's because it fits into your agenda, I see...

And no, they never promised the level of that CG since they never claimed it was realtime at all. But go ahead and keep twisting the facts...

jett

D-Member
ELS-01X said:
Oh yeah, let's totally ignore this

ss02.jpg

and this:

ss04.jpg

and this:

ss01.jpg

Which look perfectly on par with the GDC build.

And you know the screen you posted is from a newer build than the ones I just posted how? Oh yeah, it's because it fits into your agenda, I see...

:lol The fire pic and the one with the soldiers only reinforce my point.

I think they look good and I bet it looks wonderful in motion with the hundreds of enemies moving.

I really do hate you, gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom