• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, the Sony camp is starting to look oddly similar to the Xbox one circa the 360 launch.

Could this be the beginning of a truce?

Elios83

ELS-01X said:
Oh yeah, let's totally ignore this

Which look perfectly on par with the GDC build.

I don't think so ELS-01X.These screens shouldn't have been released if they're not representative of the game,and if they are then Factor 5 has totally failed to impress on PS3 like they did on Gamecube.
But again this is just an opinion on these screens,I'm waiting until TGS.

Luckyman

Banned
These were released by Sony Japan? IGN/Gamespot/1up do not have them.

Maybe they put out some 2004 realtime screens. :lol

ELS-01X

Banned
Elios83 said:
I don't think so ELS-01X.
How so? Elaborate please.

These screens shouldn't have been released if they're not representative of the game,and if they are then Factor 5 has totally failed to impress on PS3 like they did on Gamecube.
Blame Sony for that, they're the ones who decide what to show and what not, not Factor 5.

jett said:
:lol The fire pic and the one with the soldiers only reinforce my point.

the one witht he soldiers is (a) clearly not in-game and (b) reminds me of ****ing bullet witch

oh btw, are those suddenly not "off screen camshots" now since i went to sleep last night? :lol

Honestly, i think Lair will get delayed and eventually come out looking pretty impressive (and playing like absolute shit) but trying to spin these recent shots is ridiculous

Drek

Luckyman said:
These were released by Sony Japan? IGN/Gamespot/1up do not have them.

Maybe they put out some 2004 realtime screens. :lol
Its from Game Watch, Japanese site. Its just as likely they're old screens recycled (hence one of them looking tiny little shot from EGM a few months back).

I'll hold off any judgements on where Lair is currently at until we see new media from either a more reliable site or Factor 5/Sony themselves.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
Honestly, i think Lair will get delayed and eventually come out looking pretty impressive (and playing like absolute shit) but trying to spin these recent shots is ridiculous
The "spin" on these recent shots is simple: they're out of context with anything we've seen previously for this game and, for that matter, out of context for what we've come to expect from the PS3 at a bare minimum based on what we're seeing from every other game project for it. The WI page has assembled a rather odd hodgepodge of images for the game which suggests 2, maybe 3 different builds of the game are being shown and we know the one particular shot that everyone is so up in arms about is at least a few months old. The shots are crappy and whoever is responsible OKing them needs to find another calling in life. But what they say about the game itself is not worth speculating on right now due to the manner of their release.

Ceb

I'll reserve any mention of "downgrades" til TGS, but I really hope they weren't forced to make it run in 1080p. That would cause a performance hit for sure.

kaching said:
The "spin" on these recent shots is simple: they're out of context with anything we've seen previously for this game and, for that matter, out of context for what we've come to expect from the PS3 at a bare minimum based on what we're seeing from every other game project for it. The WI page has assembled a rather odd hodgepodge of images for the game which suggests 2, maybe 3 different builds of the game are being shown and we know the one particular shot that everyone is so up in arms about is at least a few months old. The shots are crappy and whoever is responsible OKing them needs to find another calling in life. But what they say about the game itself is not worth speculating on right now due to the manner of their release.

what they say about the game is that it has moved backward in quality when assembling the pictures in chronological order. there is no way around that. none.

Dante

ss02.jpg

Looks pretty damn close actually.

Funky Papa said:
Man, the Sony camp is starting to look oddly similar to the Xbox one circa the 360 launch.

Wait just a second...there was a battle to begin with? How sad.

:lol :lol :lol

Everyone on GAF is going to feel like a ****ing retard when they see most upcoming next-gen games in motion for the first time (that includes upcoming games on both the X360 and the PS3). They really are going to blow your mind. Screenshots do them no justice whatsoever.

Luckyman

Banned
meltpotato said:
what they say about the game is that it has moved backward in quality when assembling the pictures in chronological order. there is no way around that. none.

you know the real order?

Luckyman said:
you know the real order?

youre right. they are releasing media in reverse order. the game has acutally been done since the moment it was announced. its a new hype strategy. i read about it in WSJ this week.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
:lol Absolutes ride again! All we know is the chronological order of when each of these shots appeared on the web. We have no information that tells me which builds these are from. They could even be from the same build with certain effects turned on and off. So they could actually be from the exact same point in time.

You don't have the complete context for these shots and you're making up the backstory. If you're looking for reasons to poke fun at Sony and the PS3, there are plenty of surer bets than this.

TheDuce22

Banned
Funky Papa said:

Hey remember when they convinced themselves DOA 4 and Kameo looked like xbox games? :lol Watching them backtrack now that reality has hit was worth the wait.

kaching said:
:lol Absolutes ride again! All we know is the chronological order of when each of these shots appeared on the web. We have no information that tells me which builds these are from. They could even be from the same build with certain effects turned on and off. So they could actually be from the exact same point in time.

You don't have the complete context for these shots and you're making up the backstory. If you're looking for reasons to poke fun at Sony and the PS3, there are plenty of surer bets than this.

im not trying to troll Sony, or F5 for that matter. If they are trickling out media in some kind of jumbled-up order, then this is the first game i've EVER heard of/seen that happening with. The closest case i can think of is media coming up for client approval and being burried away and not hitting the press, effectively skipping a "build". but sure, they could be releasing them in an order not indicative of the dev cycle for the game. i could also smoke crack with Jacques Chirac in a conference room at work today, but it really isnt too likely.

EDIT: forgot my emoticons ;) (-_-) :lol :D :'(

TheDuce22 said:
Hey remember when they convinced themselves DOA 4 and Kameo looked like xbox games? :lol Watching them backtrack now that reality has hit was worth the wait.

Kameo was nice even though it started development as an XBox 1 game. But Dead or Alive 4 looked almost exactly like Dead or Alive 3 (just higher res a la GT:HD to GT4). Both were rush jobs. They didn't really give a feel of what the hardware could do.

doa3_042202_002.jpg

vs.

dead-or-alive-4-20060131051607718.jpg

TheDuce22 said:
to be fair, when Kameo was first shown on 360 it DID look like an Xbox game. with each successive showing it looked more and more impressive until launch when it was absolutely the stand out title graphically and still one of the high points of the 360 visually.

Kameo's noticable leaps of quality between E3 and launch are a damn good reason to say 'hey you know, Lair might actually look better than these screenshots at launch.'

it might not, don't think i'm saying it's guaranteed, but it can be amazing how much difference those last few months can make.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey remember when they convinced themselves DOA 4 and Kameo looked like xbox games?
They did, though.

Kameo came a LONG way and looks fantastic in the end (and using a number of graphical techniques that no other 360 games have even attemped).

DOA4 also looks solid, but DOES seem like a high-detail version of a last gen game...which isn't necessarily bad. We've since learned that reaching 60 fps on this hardware is extremely tough, so it makes quite a bit of sense in the end.

Our expectations were very different in 2005 and reality has set in.

Lair is looking awful right now, but several other big PS3 titles are looking absolutely awesome (especially in motion). We are clearly at a level far beyond 360's launch lineup right now and things should only improve as we draw closer. Hopefully Lair will improve (like so many 360 games did), but we really just have to wait and see.

ELS-01X

Banned
dark10x said:
They did, though.

Kameo came a LONG way and looks fantastic in the end (and using a number of graphical techniques that no other 360 games have even attemped).

DOA4 also looks solid, but DOES seem like a high-detail version of a last gen game...which isn't necessarily bad. We've since learned that reaching 60 fps on this hardware is extremely tough, so it makes quite a bit of sense in the end.

Lair is looking awful right now, but several other big PS3 titles are looking absolutely awesome (especially in motion). We are clearly at a level far beyond 360's launch lineup right now and things should only improve as we draw closer. Hopefully Lair will improve (like so many 360 games did), but we really just have to wait and see.
ss04.jpg

That looks awful? WTF...

TheDuce22

Banned
dark10x said:
They did, though.

Lair is looking awful right now, but several other big PS3 titles are looking absolutely awesome (especially in motion).

I know this isnt indicative of the ps3s power or even the final game but the point is the exact same people who were trolling those games for looking like xbox titles are claiming to be impressed by this. Its pretty funny to watch. If DOA 4 looks like an xbox game, which it doesnt, what does this look like? Some PC game from 1998? Had this been a 360 game and the pics started coming out around launch the sony fans would have been coming out of the woodwork to shots at it, I have absolutely no doubt of that. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
im not trying to troll Sony, or F5 for that matter. If they are trickling out media in some kind of jumbled-up order, then this is the first game i've EVER heard of/seen that happening with. The closest case i can think of is media coming up for client approval and being burried away and not hitting the press, effectively skipping a "build". but sure, they could be releasing them in an order not indicative of the dev cycle for the game. i could also smoke crack with Jacques Chirac in a conference room at work today, but it really isnt too likely.

EDIT: forgot my emoticons ;) (-_-) :lol :D :'(
The shots could have been trickled out for different audiences, which would explain why they seem jumbled. We know for example that Factor 5 has been doing presentations at different industry conventions that have provided media for Lair that wasn't officially sanctioned for public consumption. You're assuming that the 4 shots WI has assembled on their page were officially sanctioned by Sony to be distributed in public channels now and not just something WI assembled themselves as filler for their Lair page for the lead-in to TGS.

Razoric

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
I know this isnt indicative of the ps3s power or even the final game but the point is the exact same people who were trolling those games for looking like xbox titles are claiming to be impressed by this. Its pretty funny to watch. If DOA 4 looks like an xbox game, which it doesnt, what does this look like? Some PC game from 1998? Had this been a 360 game and the pics started coming out around launch the sony fans would have been coming out of the woodwork to shots at it, I have absolutely no doubt of that. :lol

I think the point is we've all been brought back to reality since 360 was released. I no longer expect the graphics that I once did... it's just not going to happen. So while this might be good "pay back" for xbots who where "wronged" during the 360 launch, I think it's more that our expectations have been severly lowered since then.

And also the fact that out of all the Lair screenshots I've seen, there has only been one bad one. (where as with Kameo and PDZ we had a lot of bad shit to choose from but they did improve before release) So I'm guessing that is not a true example of how it will look. I'll reserve my judgement until we see more screens and a few movies.

Amir0x said:
I really, really think that is CG...

CG is a bit of a stretch, but it is surely not in-game, which i'd say is the most important part.

kaching said:
The shots could have been trickled out for different audiences, which would explain why they seem jumbled. We know for example that Factor 5 has been doing presentations at different industry conventions that have provided media for Lair that wasn't officially sanctioned for public consumption. You're assuming that the 4 shots WI has assembled on their page were officially sanctioned by Sony to be distributed in public channels now and not just something WI assembled themselves as filler for their Lair page for the lead-in to TGS.

youre completely right. i don't believe in magic screenshot faries. maybe the audience should clap now so tinkerbell doesnt die.

Amir0x

Banned
meltpotato said:
CG is a bit of a stretch, but it is surely not in-game, which i'd say is the most important part.

I mean, there's nothing else on the screen except for rider and dragon and some mountains and water... I mean I guess it could be a cutscene using enhanced in-game assets, but it definitely doesn't seem to 'jive up' with the rest of the images quality-wise.

Mojovonio

Banned
I just find the whole game to look drab and lifeless. There's no vegetation, eveyrthing is either brow, gold or grey and it's alwyas raining in the screens or at sunset.

What is it with the PS3 and late-afternoon settings? Could sunsets only be realized with the power of the PS3? I WANT COLOR!

Amir0x said:
I mean, there's nothing else on the screen except for rider and dragon and some mountains and water... I mean I guess it could be a cutscene using enhanced in-game assets, but it definitely doesn't seem to 'jive up' with the rest of the images quality-wise.

There are actually five or six other dragons in the scene, as well. LOD makes them look so small they are barely visible, but you can see their trails of fire in the background.

And another thing...this (which was praised to the high heavens):

lair02.jpg

is exactly the same model and rider as this (only this is on the ground and they've changed the dragon's saddle and harness a bit):

ss02.jpg

Make up your minds people...does it look terrible or does it look brilliant? Or do we just have to see it in motion?
(say yes to the last part)

Razoric

Banned
It would be nice if people waited for movies... people still troll Motorstorm and have no idea how good it actually looks in motion. A lot of next gen games will be this way.

Bring on the animated gif wars. :lol

Faizal

Banned
Yeah the game does look a bit drab and empty so far. The ground surfaces look pretty flat as well. At this point it still looks more like a tech demo than a real fleshed out game.

Mojovonio

Banned
Faizal said:
Yeah the game does look a bit drab and empty so far. The ground surfaces look pretty flat as well. At this point it still looks more like a tech demo than a real fleshed out game.

And F5 was able to create one of the best looking forests last gen, yet in this game, all I can see is emptiness and dull colors.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
jett said:
DMC4 seems to have no problem. And how do you explain the completely barren environment, or the horrid draw distance?

I can't believe this thing is costing Sony $25 mill.

Down the toilet, it went.

Are you talking about the same DMC4 that you trashed to high heaven??

Transparent, you are.....

Dante

Had this been a 360 game and the pics started coming out around launch the sony fans would have been coming out of the woodwork to shots at it, I have absolutely no doubt of that.

Part of the problem was one of the first 360 screens people saw were of "wall guy" as for DOA4 I think people had really high expectations because it was Team Ninja, same with PS3 Tekken which also was a major let down.

bigfurb

Mojovonio said:
And F5 was able to create one of the best looking forests last gen, yet in this game, all I can see is emptiness and dull colors.
We've only seen 5 screenshots of the game so far bruh. Patience is a virtue, strive to be virtuous

GeoramA

bigfurb said:
We've only seen 5 screenshots of the game so far bruh. Patience is a virtue, strive to be virtuous
Bingo. 5 screenshots for such an immersive can do no justice. Gotta see this baby in action.

Dante said:
Part of the problem was one of the first 360 screens people saw were of "wall guy" as for DOA4 I think people had really high expectations because it was Team Ninja, same with PS3 Tekken which also was a major let down.

so true with DOA4/T6

I'll do you one better.. what was the best looking PS2 launch title? TTT. and DC has DOA2 and SC. My memory may be bad here, but wasnt Battle Arena Toshiden or whatever its called was also one of the big sell-point titles for the PSX way back when. I guess we need to stop thinking fighters are going to be the big launch games now. the big fighting games have really hit a rut. it's a total bummer for fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom