• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:
nope
not just your monitor

ss02.jpg

Yeah, thanks! That certainly seems in line with the GDC shot. I'm happier for now, looking forward to TGS.

Faizal

Banned
That last pic looks pretty good...dunno about the ground textures though...

I'm starting to have a theory about the big disparity in the quality of the dragon models. It seems like the dragon with the guy riding it always looks really good, but all the other "regular" dragons with no riders look crappy. Maybe it's intentional?

jett said:
I swear to God I've seen better fire effects on the PS2. Just what the **** is this shit. Just what the ****.

:lol :lol

Do you have any idea how difficult it is technology-wise to realistically emulate the fluid dynamics of fire in realtime? If you saw that in motion, I believe you would say otherwise.

jett

D-Member
Moderation Unlimited said:
:lol :lol

Do you have any idea how difficult it is technology-wise to realistically emulate the fluid dynamics of fire in realtime? If you saw that in motion, I believe you would say otherwise.

DMC4 seems to have no problem. And how do you explain the completely barren environment, or the horrid draw distance?

I can't believe this thing is costing Sony $25 mill.

Down the toilet, it went.

Faizal

Banned
Despite the few problems this still looks better than any 2nd generation X360 game I've seen. Let's not be TOO harsh on it....

Zaptruder

Banned
jett said:
I swear to God I've seen better fire effects on the PS2. Just what the **** is this shit. Just what the ****.

Seems like more hyperbolic ****tard ranting off a few mediocre shots.

alterego

After Jiggle contrast adjusted the really dark pic the dragon model does seem to be more inline with what we saw at GDC:

lairez8.jpg

Still need to see this thing moving at TGS.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I wonder who the hell grabbed those pics in the first place. He must have his monitor set to a supernova level of brightness.

Anyway, here is the other one "fixed"

ss04is7.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jett said:
Hello McFly, anybody home?

It's already been explained MULTIPLE TIMES to you that the shots in that website are from different times. The fact that said website posted them together in a news report means DICKWAD.

So what does that mean to you MCFLY? Does it mean that the game has been downgraded since the GDC leak shot?

mckmas8808

jett said:
DMC4 seems to have no problem. And how do you explain the completely barren environment, or the horrid draw distance?

I can't believe this thing is costing Sony $25 mill.

Down the toilet, it went.

Man you ranted 100 times about Capcom and DMC4, just to see you shutup and change face. Want to do that again?

jett

D-Member
bigfurb said:

Maybe, but it just looks so bad to me in that picture.

mcfly: yes, it seems not only has the game been heavily downgraded, but we've also been getting duped since last year, with factor 5 passing off CG as real-time stuff. That's how it seems to me after seeing these pics.

jett said:
Maybe, but it just looks so bad to me.

mcfly: yes, it seems not only has the game been heavily downgraded, but we've also been getting duped since last year, with factor 5 passing off CG as real-time stuff. That's how it seems to me after seeing these pics.

I think you'll be surprised when you see the game in motion.

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
Man you ranted 100 times about Capcom and DMC4, just to see you shutup and change face. Want to do that again?

The situation with DMC4 is different. I never thought it looked like shit, I was just disappointed it didn't match Kobayashi's promises. I will never find those shots of Lair impressive, I assure you.

mckmas8808

jett said:
The situation with DMC4 is different. I never thought it looked like shit, I was just disappointed it didn't match Kobayashi's promises. I will never find those shots of Lair impressive, I assure you.

I don't find them impressive. Def the first one. But I'm not going to act like the GDC pic never existed.

Elios83

Men this game looks like trash in these screens.

Factor 5 should come out and explain something about their "All real time footage" from last year's trailer because this is shit,the dragon is not even the shadow of their supposed real time model.
That or these screen are the most deceptive screens EVER.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fire effect aside, this set of shots looks great, although i can't really tell how the dragon model compares to the early demos. we saw that one awful-looking screen a few egms ago, so i hope it's just from a different build than these shots. BELIEVE

That or these screen are the most deceptive screens EVER.

ss03xo5.jpg

I would say so! This one is at the original picture's native resolution so no artifacts, and with the gamma turned up.

and here's one run through a couple filters..

lair03vi8.jpg

Elios83

ionicbluebird said:
I would say so! This one is at the original picture's native resolution so no artifacts, and with the gamma turned up.

and here's one run through a couple filters..

Emm but filters are not the problem,it's the detail in the dragons which seems pathetic :(
I'm waiting for TGS because I know that screens can really tell a different story from reality but at the moment this is embarissing.

OH and Factor 5 said it was Sony's fault to not show their amazing game at E3 but they were ready :lol :lol :lol

Tieno

What's the concept and gameplay behind this game again? Dragons fighting against each other and you control one of them? Cause that's ****ing cool!

Elios83 said:
Emm but filters are not the problem,it's the detail in the dragons which seems pathetic :(
I'm waiting for TGS because I know that screens can really tell a different story from reality but at the moment this is embarissing.

OH and Factor 5 said it was Sony's fault to not show their amazing game at E3 but they were ready :lol :lol :lol

Well, those pics aren't native res shots, so there is detail lost.

Faizal

Banned
I just realized I'm not really all that interested in this game anymore. And it doesn't have anything to do with "graphics downgrades". Artistically speaking this game just isn't very interesting to me. The dragons look like rejects from that bad Godzilla movie, and everything else just looks generic.

Jonnyram

Tieno said:
What's the concept and gameplay behind this game again? Dragons fighting against each other and you control one of them? Cause that's ****ing cool!
:lol Don't play Panzer Dragoon... you might bust a nut.

Wollan

I think this game will look really, really impressive in motion. Looks like there's a lot of moving parts on the dragons including scales..etc. But I wonder what the gameplay is about and how the flow of it works(missions? gta? hack&flame?).

Very long thread for three screens so I started to skim. My apologies in advance if I missed something important. Anywho, the disparity between some of these shots and what was shown at GDC is just too large. I am leaning towards the GDC version as being the better representation of the final product. Some of the scenes from the vid posted earlier look a little too good but the first pic is about as believable as the Killzone CG, just occupying opposite sides of the spectrum. :p

Amir0x

Banned
TTP said:
I wonder who the hell grabbed those pics in the first place. He must have his monitor set to a supernova level of brightness.

Anyway, here is the other one "fixed"

ss04is7.jpg

Snizzity ap. If that's not from a CG cutscene I'd be impressed.

Drek

Sony is doing such a shit job hyping up their games for the PS3. They need to turn it around at TGS and stop being tight fisted with quality screens and videos. As it is shitty blow ups and mag scans are the basis for most public opinion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They need to do better with their media at TGS than they did at E3. Fresh, new media - not this pre-TGS stuff - from the latest TGS builds. It would be amazingly stupid to have another scenario where they're releasing certain (old) shots officially, and the game is looking so much better at the show itself.

It's pretty telling of how bad it is when we're only getting proper media of the E3 build of Heavenly Sword now, coming up to TGS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Brashnir said:
last gen never blew PCs away, much less for 2 years.
Ha ha, your memory must be failing you then...

PS2 absolutely blew anything away on the PC during its first go round. Yes, the image quality couldn't compete, but the games were throwing around more geometry than any PC game to date, tons of effects and filters (that were never used in any PC games), and great framerates. The Bouncer, ZOE, MGS2, Silent Hill 2, ICO, GT3, and more were all incredible looking games when they were released and nothing on the PC could compete. We were still stuck in ultra-low poly land on the PC up until UT2003.

gofreak said:
They need to do better with their media at TGS than they did at E3. Fresh, new media - not this pre-TGS stuff - from the latest TGS builds. It would be amazingly stupid to have another scenario where they're releasing certain (old) shots officially, and the game is looking so much better at the show itself.

It's pretty telling of how bad it is when we're only getting proper media of the E3 build of Heavenly Sword now, coming up to TGS.
yeah... i can't believe how awful screenshots tend to be of games prior to release this and other things included. i mean, artistically, resolution, gamma etc... it's like they don't get that they're representing the game.

one final thought... remember how much kameo on the 360 progressed each time we saw it?

it's possible that they've still got stuff to add in that'll really improve things. it's possible that they don't... these screenshots are crappy for a bunch of reasons (and the newest ones are very hard to really make out detail one way or another).

but honestly, it's Factor 5. if anyone can tap the power of the PS3 early on, it's them. they've earned a little 'wait and see' from me.

bud

plagiarize said:
yeah... i can't believe how awful screenshots tend to be of games prior to release this and other things included. i mean, artistically, resolution, gamma etc... it's like they don't get that they're representing the game.

one final thought... remember how much kameo on the 360 progressed each time we saw it?

it's possible that they've still got stuff to add in that'll really improve things. it's possible that they don't... these screenshots are crappy for a bunch of reasons (and the newest ones are very hard to really make out detail one way or another).

but honestly, it's Factor 5. if anyone can tap the power of the PS3 early on, it's them. they've earned a little 'wait and see' from me.

you're saying this is crappy?

ss04is7.jpg

wow

Shompola

Banned
It sure isnt pretty.. All the screenshots are pretty crappy... Hard to say wich is looking worst. And the "art" direction is not exciting either..... PDO wins by default... Aouch.

Strike 4(RR7, Forza 2, DMC 4, Lair)

teiresias

Shompola said:
It sure isnt pretty.. All the screenshots are pretty crappy... Hard to say wich is looking worst. And the "art" direction is not exciting either..... PDO wins by default... Aouch.

Strike 4(RR7, Forza 2, DMC 4, Lair)

You should google for some proxies.

Mojovonio

Banned
Man, when the PS3 launches, so many of you are going to be dissapointed.

For an actual game, I think it looks great. For a tech demo, it looks like ass.

Thank god you can't play tech demos.

neoboys and neogirls needs to follow these 2 ways

way 1
SDF to stop dicks wangling PS3 is orders of magnitude faster. Just set the expectations lower than E3 CG to match up. It is a bargain for HD-video in a game console. Enjoy the meal.

way 2
XDF to stop bitterness of Xbox 1.5 trolling. It is the past. Believe in Karma. 360 is very powerful in built too. Xenos opens grfx centric opportunity. It is not a shame to fall behind Cell in physics possibilities.

SDF XDF unite to Joint Defend Force pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom