• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm: Apocalypse screens

mrklaw said:
I remember when almost all of the attention around MS1 was about how the 'power of the CELL!' could generate realistic mud, with the track being all cut up - heavier vehicles leaving huge ruts that would make it difficult to drive a lighter car/bike.

Now there is no mud at all. I'm sure it'll be exciting but I can't help feeling its not really motorstorm anymore
Yeah, this seems to have moved away a bit from the Motorstorm 'feel,' but then again you get to RACE DOWN BUILDINGS AS THEY COLLAPSE so I don't care. MS1 and PR already exist for the classic Motorstorm feel anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zen said:
Take you at your word, but starting with MotorStorm 2 they really smoothed out the tracks and dramatically reduced the effects of terrain types and tire ruts, this isn't something that can be argued over, it happened. Maybe this entry will be more tactical than any before it, but MS1 had elements that were dramatically toned down with the sequels.
The tracks are visually a lot more chaotic and overwhelming in Apocalypse. One of the biggest complains about the original Motorstorm was the fact that even a small rock could (sometimes) destroy your truck, by complete randomness. They "nerfed" this for Pacific Rift and some people liked that decision and some people clearly didn't.

In Apocalypse, particles on the ground won't necessarily change how your car handles. But saying this game won't have variation is just wrong! Just by watching these videos, one can clearly see how different each lap is going to be.

jett

D-Member
Motorstorm was such an awesome game...until the last quarter of it. Sucks that Evolution doesn't know how to spike up the difficulty without making the game cheap as all fuck. If this game still has rubberbanding there's little chance of me buying it.

teepo

i found both motorstorm games rewarding. i don't ever feel the need to beat racing games. as long as i get the thrills needed and managed to sink a few hours into it, i'm game. fuck trophies and i actually liked the fact it became difficult near the end. i'd just play mario kart if i wanted it easy.

Yoshichan said:
Different themes. Variation, just what we gamers really need.

Motorstorm was about mud and only mud. Clearly an "experiment" (not saying game's bad, I fucking LOVED the original MS).

Pacific Rift was genius, it had some mud elements but also added in fire, wind and water elemental which added great depth to the boosting mechanics.

Apocalypse takes this to the next step by taking what Pacific Rift did good and adding brilliant movie-like sequences that GREATLY enhances the gameplay quality since no lap will ever be the same (and this time it doesn't seem to be PR). Based on these videos, when a tall building collapses on the streets, you really need to adapt and take other routes. I love it and it's definitely not something we're used to seeing in racing games, let alone the Motorstorm franchise!

Clearly you've seen nothing of the game. This one has more strategy and track diversity than previous Motorstorms by FAR. Read what I wrote above.

Split/Second did the whole "no lap will ever be the same" thing without relying on scripted moments. YOU pulled the trigger or even the AI or your buddies or complete strangers online. THAT added tension to the laps not knowing what could happen even if you've played it several times before.

I just think this whole concept is silly but I probably should't be taking it seriously because the devs clearly aren't. Constructing tracks during an earthquake? Really? Trains are still running after the disaster and even still after the promoters have set up race tracks? It just seems like self-parody and I don't like it.

At least Split/Second was a city constructed for a reality tv show where everything gets blown up without risking injury to civilians other than the drivers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MoonsaultSlayer, yeah I know Apocalypse isn't the most revolutionary game out there... the main difference between these two games though, is that Split/Second gameplay, presentation and graphics sucks ass. Apocalypse doesn't suck anyone's ass... :/

Also, I can drive on people in this one. That alone is reason enough to say it owns that garbage game.

Yoshichan said:
MoonsaultSlayer, yeah I know Apocalypse isn't the most revolutionary game out there... the main difference between these two games though, is that Split/Second gameplay, presentation and graphics sucks ass. Apocalypse doesn't suck anyone's ass... :/

Also, I can drive on people in this one. That alone is reason enough to say it owns that garbage game.

HAHAHA. All this from a demo? You clearly haven't played the game with those comments. That or you're being stubborn for the sake of proving Motorstorm is the only racing game you'll side with no matter what. Hardcore, man.

REALLY...? You can drive on people? Dude, that is gnarly. Sign me up for day one. I can't believe I was shitting on this stupid concept when you can drive on people. Holy shit. Best racing game ever confirmed.

Sarcasm, btw. And Split/Second looks and plays excellent, what the fuck are you on? It's presentation alone shits on most games I've played this gen let alone racing games. Give it a rent. Oh, and MS:pR is also my favorite racer with S/S... Just saying. A simple festival in a new locale with playable festivity games (base jumping with a bike, super jumps, mid-air collisions etc) would have sufficed for a sequel. Instead we get something that caters to feedback from market research.

Ranger X

Yoshichan said:
Clearly you've seen nothing of the game. This one has more strategy and track diversity than previous Motorstorms by FAR. Read what I wrote above.

Your convictions don't bring much on the table. I need screenshots and movies. You seem to have a point then make it. I've seen nothing than a broken city and I didn't much turns in the tracks or multi-paths that lead me to believe there will be vehicle strategy. The only variation I've seen is that track supposedly held on boats.

Afrikan

GAME LOOKS AMAZING!!!! O_O

I only watched 1 min of the first video, and that is ENOUGH for me. You Euro folks don't spoil anythin for us mericans. :mad:

2 months of Media blackout....I'm going to try. :(

All the crap happening on screen is staggering. How they'll manage to keep the framerate solid in splitscreen WITH AI racers on top of that is crazy.

That last video, holy shit. April 12 cannot come soon enough. You filthy Euros should consider yourself blessed you're getting this game earlier than us.

Noshino

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The PSP MotorStorm was awesome because it had no rubber banding. Then again it was from different people - I hope Evolution take heed.

It was the most boring one as well...

Massa

Speevy said:
I can say that among things I've never seen, seeing a tornado on my game's race track is up there.

It can hardly be called a racing track now, can it? It looks like you play this game like a series of QTE that take place in straight line, not like a racing game.

Throw in the explosions and running over people and I'm sure 10-12 year old kids will be all over it.

Massa said:
It can hardly be called a racing track now, can it? It looks like you play this game like a series of QTE that take place in straight line, not like a racing game.

What QTE? You trigger that slow mo sequence if you want to see what's about to happen in slow motion, but if you don't trigger it then the game will continue at normal speed.

Loudninja

Massa said:

Throw in the explosions and running over people and I'm sure 10-12 year old kids will be all over it.
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Massa

SolidSnakex said:
What QTE? You trigger that slow mo sequence if you want to see what's about to happen in slow motion, but if you don't trigger it then the game will continue at normal speed.

I wasn't really thinking of the slow motion. This game doesn't have tracks for you to master, it has randomly generated obstacles and in order to be fast you simply react to whatever it decides to throw at you at that specific lap.

It's a complete departure from what made the previous Motorstorm games.

Noshino

Massa said:
If by the most boring you meant to type the best one, you're correct.

I was about to take you seriously and reply to this but then I read this

Massa said:

And this

Massa said:
I wasn't really thinking of the slow motion. This game doesn't have tracks for you to master, it has randomly generated obstacles and in order to be fast you simply react to whatever it decides to throw at you at that specific lap.

It's a complete departure from what made the previous Motorstorm games.

And I realized that you have no idea of what you are talking about....

-QTEs are simply there to see what's going on, no necessary at all
-Why can't it be called a racing track? specially when the roads are still clear and a paths are still labelled.
-There are straight lines on almost every racer (Nascar aside)
-No tracks to master? have you seen the videos posted above? I could see at least 3 paths available at almost all times. Also, just like in previous MS games, biggest cars have less access... so not much path finding can be done with them (I tend to do a few practice laps with a bike before using any other vehicle)

As for your first statement, no, I meant to type boring because the game, although it ran and looked great on the PSP, it was boring....the races were not as exciting.

Massa

Again, by QTE I wasn't referring literally to the button prompts that slow down the gameplay. I was referring to the style of the racing in this game, where it's more about reacting to the different dynamic layouts of each track than learning it and getting better at it.

This is my assumption based on the gameplay videos I've seen and comments from developers who said no two laps are the same. It seems kind of hard to master a track when you can't race it again and again thanks to a tornado or some other nonsense.

Of course, since I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm not going further with this discussion.

Noshino

Massa said:
Again, by QTE I wasn't referring literally to the button prompts that slow down the gameplay. I was referring to the style of the racing in this game, where it's more about reacting to the different dynamic layouts of each track than learning it and getting better at it.

This is my assumption based on the gameplay videos I've seen and comments from developers who said no two laps are the same. It seems kind of hard to master a track when you can't race it again and again thanks to a tornado or some other nonsense.

Of course, since I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm not going further with this discussion.

But that's the thing, if you know the tracks and their different paths, then if something does happen that makes your 1st path of choice unavailable, you would know which other one to take next without losing much.

In one way or the other, this also occurred in previous games, someone would crash, blocking access to a road, and you would have to pick another path.... same when you didn't have enough speed to get up a ramp, or when you would get pushed. The only difference is that now they have amped up the obstacles, that's all. The mechanics still the same.

My apologies if I sounded too rude the first time, the OT thread about squatters is pissing me off

Linconan

beast786 said:
Wow, can't imagine how this will be in 3d
I can, and cant wait to fire up MS:A :)
I play Motorstorm 3DRift all the time.
And this, surely you would think would be better than 3DRift.

Motorstorm (in general) to me, is an average game. Fun yes but nothing i would class as a keeper.
But 3D changed that for this game, and i pity ANYBODY who isnt playing this/that in 3D as Motorstorm is a shining example of what 3D can do to a game.
Day 1 purchase, and a keeper thats for sure.

Think of it this way.
I rate Motorstorm 3DRift the best experience i've had so far with 3D, over all the other stuff i've tried.
And yes, even over GT5 and Killzone 3 3D Demo.

Bring on Motorstorm:A
: )

-Amon-

Massa said:
It seems kind of hard to master a track when you can't race it again and again thanks to a tornado or some other nonsense.

I can't really say if this is a bad thing or not, at least not before playing the game.

You were forced to take different routes in the other Motorstorms too. In those games was more a question of choosing the right path given the car / truck / bike you were using.

I liked the idea. Now we could have the same situation plus forced reroutes caused by hazards.

I’ve mentioned previously that driving wheel support is something we’re really keen to deliver, but only if we can make it work well and are satisfied that it enhances the experience overall. You’ll have to “watch this space” unfortunately!

so its never coming then.

they had 5 attempts with wrc on ps2 and still couldn't get decent wheel support.

I must confess that, as a huge huge fan of MS:pR, up to now , I felt a bit betrayed by Evolution about MS : Apocalypse. It just did not click on me as the virgin sites of a remote island.

But...after seeing those videos. Wow ! double wow ! seems like they nailed it. The gfx look ace, maybe up to my most beloved ones (GoW3 & UC2) in a different genre.
It's cool that Sony studio is pushing the envelop on what is possible to do on ps3. And the atmosphere seems awesome.

So i'll end up buying it.

By the way, MS:pR is such an underrated game...

SamBishop

Banned
beast786 said:
Wow, can't imagine how this will be in 3d

Mind-blowing, really. It's probably the single best showcase for 3D yet. There's an event tomorrow night and I'm actually getting antsy just waiting for it. I'M GONNA TASTE THE EXPLOSIONS, AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

jett said:
Motorstorm was such an awesome game...until the last quarter of it. Sucks that Evolution doesn't know how to spike up the difficulty without making the game cheap as all fuck. If this game still has rubberbanding there's little chance of me buying it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/08/motorstorm-apocalypse-video-interview-2/#comment-517841
The AI has been overhauled for MotorStorm Apocalypse so that it behaves more realistically and, importantly, so that it can’t do anything that the player can’t do.

Though honestly, if you don't care about getting Gold in every single SP event, MS:pR is already quite easy to finish actually.
I couldn't (and didn't want to) finish MS1, but getting to the last rank in MS:pR (= getting enough points overall) and watching the credits took only a few retries in some of the last few races.

wouwie

Seems pretty crazy that this is coming out in 3 weeks time. Sony seem to have little clue as how to market this game. There seems to have been very few previews, info and interest from the gaming press and such.

Has there been any info on a possible demo for this game? I loved Pacific Rift (played 50 hours single player) but nothing i've seen on Motorstorm Apocalypse has gotten me excited yet.

Afrikan

wouwie said:
Seems pretty crazy that this is coming out in 3 weeks time. Sony seem to have little clue as how to market this game. There seems to have been very few previews, info and interest from the gaming press and such.

Has there been any info on a possible demo for this game? I loved Pacific Rift (played 50 hours single player) but nothing i've seen on Motorstorm Apocalypse has gotten me excited yet.

You are right!.. I say they push back the date to match their North Merican Release. :)

but seriously I don't know what they are doing...I'm sure they are trying to go full force pushing Killzone 3...from there I don't know how they can expect to market Motorstorm AP to its full potential with little time.

Afrikan said:
You are right!.. I say they push back the date to match their North Merican Release. :)

but seriously I don't know what they are doing...I'm sure they are trying to go full force pushing Killzone 3...from there I don't know how they can expect to market Motorstorm AP to its full potential with little time.

MLB The Show.

wouwie said:

Shit, it's out in three weeks? I had no idea. This is the sort of time where there's normally new gameplay every day and demo announcements being made. This is the first time a game I've wanted has gone under my radar in a loooong time. Nice one, Sony.

btkadams

coolcole93 said:
Shit, it's out in three weeks? I had no idea. This is the sort of time where there's normally new gameplay every day and demo announcements being made. This is the first time a game I've wanted has gone under my radar in a loooong time. Nice one, Sony.
its out in 3 weeks in EU, not NA (just to clarify). it's out in april in NA.

Commodore

Looks kinetic and frantic and nasty as always. I'm grinding through a few of the more pristine parts of Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and hating some of the Cop's time trials. One little nick on side of the road and you get docked time. Still love the Hot Pursuit sequences though. Liked the first Motorstorm, loved the second, really looking forward a much more fun arcade racer.

Top Bottom