• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm: Apocalypse screens

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Totobeni said:
huh,so it's called MotorStorm 3 in Japan, should be 4 instead for 3 no? I mean MotorStorm(1), Pacific Rift(2), Arctic Edge(3), Apocalypse(4),oh well.

handheld-versions usually don't count in the homeconsole-series , right?

zoukka said:
PR improved on it in every aspect.
Agreed, although I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the original levels.

That wreckreation video toned down my hype just a little. Locking more and more aspects of the game away isn't necessarily a win for gamers, and shouldnt count as rich new content. At first I thought they were going to offer up co-op challenges and free roaming (ala Burnout Paradise) but alas it just looks like Modern Warfare stuff mapped to Motorstorm.

Its not a bad idea in principle, but I'm a little hesitant to see how it all ends up working.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
zoukka said:
PR improved on it in every aspect.

For most parts yes, but the tracks were way better in MotorStorm 1 imo, and they were balanced for all the vehicles unlike PR were Big Rigs=auto win, and the Rubber Band AI was still in Pacific Rift so "improved on it in every aspect" is not really true.

NullPointer said:
Agreed, although I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the original levels.

Before the end of this gen they should release a collection that includes all the tracks of MS1-3 (including the addons!) remastered in the newest MS engine (MS:A?) and usable by all existing vehicle classes (and the gameplay tweaks like the AI, MP features etc.).
Actually, also add the tracks of the PSP MS for even more content&variety.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
New video diary on Playstation US blog looks awesome. Had to stop to not spoil too much (which is weird for a driving game).

bcus-98242-ss5r7ri.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/25/motorstorm-apocalypse-wreckreation-video-diary-2-demo-date-imminent/

I want this but there are just too many games coming out.

I still haven't bought MVC3 or KZ3 because I have to weigh heavily on what of like 20 titles I want to buy by the end of the year.

Afrikan

Thunderbear said:
New video diary on Playstation US blog looks awesome. Had to stop to not spoil too much (which is weird for a driving game).

same here...damn, if they really do add wheel support, that's going to be CRAZY! O_O

Crazy action
Playing in 3D
Wheel Support

damn...I wish I would hurry up and just choose a new T.V. :/

ElRenoRaven

ElRenoRaven

James-Ape said:
PR was great, but i definitely preferred the tracks from the original.

Same here. Monster trucks were a nice addition but the tracks from the first were better for the most part. The only annoyance I had with the firsts tracks were how littered with small rocks they were which would wreck you. That was a tad bit better in two. Other then that though 1>2 imo when it came to track design.

Cyborg said:
Is it me or is the original Motorstorm the best?

I agree. The original Motorstorm stands alone for its stark vision, something I knew was lost once the team announced they had scrapped the original's engine entirely. The spirit lives on I suppose, although it could be something much greater...

Ellis Kim

Banned
Played Motorstorm Apocalypse in 3D at the Engadget reader meetup event, and I just have to say: wow. The game looks really good, and holy shit the environment really blew me away, but I came away with what I'd consider to be a readjusting learning curve.

Because of the depth, I began having to catch myself from exploding because the boost meter felt so beyond my peripheral vision.

The rainy night time beach track I was playing was pretty gorgeous, especially the crashing waves, and the various natural disasters (i.e. why are there both tornadoes AND earthquakes hitting this San Francisco-esque city at the same time, lol).

Cyborg said:
hard to tell if you really tried PR and Apocalypse. Oh wait, that last one isn't even out yet.

I did like the tracks of the first motorstorm very much.

Cyborg said:

I agree. I preferred the slower less arcady pace of the first. Plus the dust effects in MS1 were awesome and at certain times it looked like cg.

The first was like a what if simulation of all different kinds of vehichles racing against one another in an unforgiving yet majestic environment.

The second was like a balls to the wall arcade game complete with crazy jumps, riding next to lava and isn't-this-cool gameplay and environments.

I would have loved to have seen the second game with the tropical setting but in the spirit of the first game in terms of a sense of realism and brilliant more realistic track design.

Also thought the music was better in the first too. :)

Still hyped for apocalypse though.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Mmmm so gorgeous. I played this at E3 last year, but looking at the new screenshots and videos it's like an entirely different game, and I absolutely love it. Taking the gameplay of MS:pR and pairing it with an apocalyptic city that's crumbling makes it feel like a game made specifically for me. It was always going to be a day one purchase, but this latest batch of stuff made me want to reward their team with a preorder. A quick trip to Amazon and I'm feeling good!

coldvein said:
am i the only one who is left flaccid by these types of screenshots? i'd like to see what the game will actually look like while i'm playing it please.

Too right. I want proper in-game screens with HUD and stuff before I can get excited. Stuff like this might as well be target renders for how accurately they portray the game as you're playing it.

OK, starting to get second thoughts. Are all the perks/challenges and unlocking tied exclusively to the multiplayer? On a second watch of the wreckreation video it seems that way.

Does this mean we don't have to worry about unlocks in single player? Or do you have to play a ton of online races to unlock everything?

This would be a make or break thing for me as I don't enjoy playing racing games online (except for Burnout Paradise co-op challenges).

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
NullPointer said:
OK, starting to get second thoughts. Are all the perks/challenges and unlocking tied exclusively to the multiplayer? On a second watch of the wreckreation video it seems that way.

Does this mean we don't have to worry about unlocks in single player? Or do you have to play a ton of online races to unlock everything?

This would be a make or break thing for me as I don't enjoy playing racing games online (except for Burnout Paradise co-op challenges).
I believe the perk system is online only.

deejay8595 said:
I believe the perk system is online only.
Any ideas on whether it affects offline play in any way? If my single player content (like upgrades and customizations) is locked behind multiplayer challenges/accolades/etc. there's no way I can buy this.

Top Bottom