• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

Pyrokai

I'm actually sorta torn as to what to do now....

I have the "mushy d-pad" DS Lite and have been thinking about upgrading lately. I'm considering the DSi XL because the screen is freakin' huge, but I keep thinking that games will actually look worse on a screen that size. Are there any comparison shots I can look at to see just how bad or good this increase of screen size makes things? I won't buy if it makes things pixelated.

Also, I have to keep thinking of the DS2, which might just be right around the corner. Maybe I should just wait until E3......

Pyrokai said:
I'm actually sorta torn as to what to do now....

I have the "mushy d-pad" DS Lite and have been thinking about upgrading lately. I'm considering the DSi XL because the screen is freakin' huge, but I keep thinking that games will actually look worse on a screen that size. Are there any comparison shots I can look at to see just how bad or good this increase of screen size makes things? I won't buy if it makes things pixelated.

Also, I have to keep thinking of the DS2, which might just be right around the corner. Maybe I should just wait until E3......
Waiting till E3 is the smartest thing to do right now.

gerg

Mael said:
That sure helped them for the cube....

I'm not sure what your point is. Yes, the GameCube failed, but for reasons other than "not being graphically competitive with the PS2 and the Xbox".

You actually think that it's driven by tech and the rest is an after thought.

No I don't.

The gaming industry is driven by entertainment, and, to put it vaguely, gameplay experiences. Gameplay experiences are created by a number of different factors, and the fun a game generates is generally more than the sum of the game's parts. In this manner, it is clear that for a significant portion of the gaming audience (Western 18-35 males), technology is at least indirectly important in generating enjoyment because they appear to prefer "cinematic" games (among others), which, indeed, benefit from advanced technology.

There is middle ground between "technology is everything" and "technology is nothing", namely "technology is indirectly important".

And why would they want the 18-35 male demographic when they can have all the rest of the gaiming population anyway?

Because at some point it is conceivable that it would be profitable to attract that demographic. Expensive, sure, but not to the extent that it was this generation that prohibited any success with attracting that demographic.

GamerZero

AzureNightmare said:
Waiting till E3 is the smartest thing to do right now.

With these 'DS2' rumors out there I'm waiting until after E3 or possibly TGS before I even consider buying the DSi XL. Don't want to buy one then find out the DS2 is right around the corner.

Eteric Rice

I think there's a trade in deal at Gamestop for when the DSi XL comes out. So you guys can pick it up cheaper if price is the problem.

carlo6529

GamerZero said:
With these 'DS2' rumors out there I'm waiting until after E3 or possibly TGS before I even consider buying the DSi XL. Don't want to buy one then find out the DS2 is right around the corner.

In that case, I suggest you wait even more because right around the corner of when the DS2 comes out, the DS2 lite will be released.

carlo6529 said:
In that case, I suggest you wait even more because right around the corner of when the DS2 comes out, the DS2 lite will be released.

But the DS2 Lite won't come with a new library of games...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DS2 is extremely likely to come out this year unless of a major change of plans.

edit: nm

Snakeyes

Ether_Snake said:
DS2 is extremely likely to come out this year unless of a major change of plans.

It's the logical solution or else the iPhone and PSP2 trains might gain too much steam.

Jaruru

Ether_Snake said:

since the PR from Nintendo only said the next Wii isn't coming anytime soon, ignoring the questions about DS2... :D

viciouskillersquirrel said:
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE SO HAPPY? A DS2 THIS YEAR WOULD BE TERRIBLE NEWS!

/Bitter DSi owner

While I'm not exactly overjoyed by the DS being replaced as a whole, to the extent that I'm pretty freakin' happy here it's as a result of having been completely and utterly right about the DSi and its status as an unnecessary placeholder system that only existed to help Nintendo raise the average sale price of DS units. :lol

Poyunch

charlequin said:
While I'm not exactly overjoyed by the DS being replaced as a whole, to the extent that I'm pretty freakin' happy here it's as a result of having been completely and utterly right about the DSi and its status as an unnecessary placeholder system that only existed to help Nintendo raise the average sale price of DS units. :lol
:(

It's not so bad since all I had was a DS Phat and I wanted to replace it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

/Bitter DSi owner
Come on now, surely you must have realized what the DSi was on some level.

Zilch

Banned
Still waiting for those DSi-exclusive games that take advantage of the "better hardware", huh?

edit: thanks for that confirmation, Ether Snake. :D

markot

Banned
I hope the next DS has a browser that actually is half decent >.> although I guess its largely down to hardware limitations... its sad that my phone is much better at internets browsing then my ds. At least to me!

/Bitter DSi owner
Oooohhh suck on it! :mad:

Why was this bumped? Do we have more "fuel for the fire"?

caligula13

Gold Member
so, when do you guys who talk about logic think this DS2 will come out?

I am planing on picking up the DSi XL on Friday. I want to use it for reading books since the DSi screen is smaller.

Do you expect this DS2 to play DS games? Will it have comparable screens with the XL?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I think psp2 should try its best to be the Sony 360 to nintendo's ps2. Look at whatever Microsoft did right this gen and try to bring that to the handheld market. Come out first/have good games/intuitive interface/w.e the hell else would make a handheld gaming device attractive to the public (I'm pretty clueless about that.)

It really isn't impossible to turn the tide, they just need to pick their chess moves correctly.

/uninformed backseat company driving

WHY DO YOU HATE ME, Black-Wind? IS IT BECAUSE I THINK THE IDEA OF A WIIHD IS STUPID?
NO!

Its mainly cause I want my DS2 cause my only DS (DS-PHAT) is broke and I refuse to buy a new one until all hope for a DS2 is crushed (E3 will make or break DS2 IMO).

I don't need bitching from people too silly to wait like how I am!

AND WHEN WIIHD/+/SUPER HAPPENS I WILL POINT AND LMAO!!!! :mad:

WHY DO YOU HATE ME, Black-Wind? IS IT BECAUSE I THINK THE IDEA OF A WIIHD IS STUPID?

If so, he ought to hate me too!

caligula13 said:
so, when do you guys who talk about logic think this DS2 will come out?

Somewhere between November and May, with 0-6 months between Japanese and US/EU release.

Do you expect this DS2 to play DS games? Will it have comparable screens with the XL?

I feel quite confident the DS2 will have BC, and probably have screens of superior quality to the XL, but probably more around the size of the original DSi.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Black-Wind said:
NO!

Its mainly cause I want my DS2 cause my only DS (DS-PHAT) is broke and I refuse to buy a new one until all hope for a DS2 is crushed (E3 will make or break DS2 IMO).

DUN DUN DUN

But what if "Wii HD" ends up being the same thing as "DS2"???

charlequin said:
If so, he ought to hate me too!
I remember your post and you were already on my shit list! Its about 5 names long.
DrGAKMAN said:
DUN DUN DUN

But what if "Wii HD" ends up being the same thing as "DS2"???
Then we shall both point and laugh!

Not much different from what I was pushing on both fields anyway.

Black-Wind said:
NO!

Oh, it'll happen. TWO YEARS FROM NOW.

Oh, it'll happen. TWO YEARS FROM NOW.
Coming from the guy who doesn't want to let go of his DS/ DSi at this point . . . HA!

And why should we care about what Ether-Snake says? What is he saying anyway? Can we demand that he come back and explain himself?

Mael

I wasn't aware this topic was still open after the whole revelation of their new hardware (DSiXL)>.>

gerg said:
The gaming industry is driven by entertainment, and, to put it vaguely, gameplay experiences. Gameplay experiences are created by a number of different factors, and the fun a game generates is generally more than the sum of the game's parts. In this manner, it is clear that for a significant portion of the gaming audience (Western 18-35 males), technology is at least indirectly important in generating enjoyment because they appear to prefer "cinematic" games (among others), which, indeed, benefit from advanced technology.

Which is why half the DS owners are female?
I mean people at Nintendo stated multiple times that they release new hardware because their studios are too limited in what they want to do (and we can assume that they mean EAD and no one else).
So far they've shown NO will to make the cinematic experience the westtern 18-35 males crave and we can't say it did them any worse.
To think that Nintendo is primary aiming for this type of market despite everything they've done since the 90's is like expecting Boeing to make motocycles because it's the hip thing to do.

Balb

Mael said:
That sure helped them for the cube....
Seriously it's exactly what kame-sennin is saying.
You actually think that it's driven by tech and the rest is an after thought.
And why would they want the 18-35 male demographic when they can have all the rest of the gaiming population anyway?

The PSP doesn't even cater to that demographic anyway. The demographic was something like 12-14 year olds, which is what Sony was trying to expand upon.

Mael

Balb said:
The PSP doesn't even cater to that demographic anyway. The demographic was something like 12-14 year olds, which is what Sony was trying to expand upon.

Because we all know that the whole playstation thing catters to that market and 12-14 yo like things that are easily brokeWAHT?

I have all the new gen consoles and handhelds..

Picross gets the most of my play time!! and Wii Resort when friends/family are over..

Graphics are really nice, but its not everything for sure.. I would like to pop-in a stunning game like MGS4 on my 46" X-WEGA and surround system.. I play it for an hour max and get bored

maybe 5 years back it would've been like a dream to me, but I think I got older? I'm 27 almost 28 btw..

GamerZero

With the DSi XL coming later this month I'm starting to think we won't hear anything official about 'DS2' until next year. I just don't see Nintendo announcing a DS successor so soon after the DSi XL's release, then again I could be wrong.

donny2112

GamerZero said:
I just don't see Nintendo announcing a DS successor so soon after the DSi XL's release, then again I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Micro

The XL is for older gamers and anyone else who wants big screens. It's not a new iteration like DS or DSi's hybrid iteration. DSi will have been released two years ago in Japan this Fall. Therefore, a Japanese launch this Fall for a DS2 isn't out of the question. E3 would be where that would be announced, though. It'd probably have the backwards-compatible new Pokemon as a launch game, sort of like how Gold/Silver could be played on GB or GBC.

GamerZero

donny2112 said:

The XL is for older gamers and anyone else who wants big screens. It's not a new iteration like DS or DSi's hybrid iteration. DSi will have been released two years ago in Japan this Fall. Therefore, a Japanese launch this Fall for a DS2 isn't out of the question. E3 would be where that would be announced, though. It'd probably have the backwards-compatible new Pokemon as a launch game, sort of like how Gold/Silver could be played on GB or GBC.

If the DS2 is launched in Japan first then TGS or a Japanese only Nintendo event is the most likely place where a DS successor will get announced.

luffeN

almokla said:
I have all the new gen consoles and handhelds..

Picross gets the most of my play time!! and Wii Resort when friends/family are over..

Graphics are really nice, but its not everything for sure.. I would like to pop-in a stunning game like MGS4 on my 46" X-WEGA and surround system.. I play it for an hour max and get bored

maybe 5 years back it would've been like a dream to me, but I think I got older? I'm 27 almost 28 btw..

damn, I'm only 23, almost 24 and still dream about the ultimate gaming room xD As of right now, I don't feel like getting bored with blockbusters anytime soon

gerg

Mael said:
Which is why half the DS owners are female?

You're strawmanning my argument, or at least not understanding it.

That a significant portion of the gaming populace does not (indirectly) care for graphical capabilities does not contradict the statement that another, (mutually exclusive) significant portion of the gaming populace does.

I mean people at Nintendo stated multiple times that they release new hardware because their studios are too limited in what they want to do (and we can assume that they mean EAD and no one else).

Yes, although I'm not sure what this has to do with my argument.

So far they've shown NO will to make the cinematic experience the westtern 18-35 males crave and we can't say it did them any worse.

Yes, they have. Nintendo was perfectly happy to play ball with Microsoft and Sony with the N64 and the GameCube. Of course, they stopped doing so because they (correctly) believed it to be unprofitable for them. However, what this should tell us is that Nintendo's unwillingness to compete with Microsoft and Sony is related to how much they feel it is beneficial to them financially, and not because of some fear of the icky consumers who want them to do so. As soon as Nintendo believe it financially profitable to proceed in a certain manner (and I feel that they should feel so come the start of the next generation), then I would hope that they follow through on those feelings.

To think that Nintendo is primary aiming for this type of market despite everything they've done since the 90's is like expecting Boeing to make motocycles because it's the hip thing to do.

My argument isn't that Nintendo would be primarily aiming for this demographic; I don't think they'd even have to start developing (more) games specifically for it either.

The financial worth of the decision mainly comes in attracting third-parties: Nintendo could have released a graphically competitive console this generation. It decided not to because to do so would have demanded an expensive console launch, something that directly impeded their plans to attract the expanded audience. However, the downside of this is that Nintendo has lost money (by way of royalties) from all the third-parties games tht haven't been released on the Wii, owing, in part, to the graphical differences between the Wii and the PS3/360. Releasing a graphically competitive machine would go some way to attracting third-party development; as a result, as soon as releasing a graphically competitive console can be done on the cheap, I see no reason for Nintendo to pursue that avenue.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:

You are looking at a September release of DS2 with Pokemon 5 as a launch title in Japan.
I don't see why Nintendo would that since almost everyone in Japan owns a DS and there is no point buying another system to play something you can already play on DS. If there is indeed a DS2 this year (personally I doubt it) I don't see it coming earlier than December.

nightez

Banned
There is absolutely nothing "new" confirmed here. Nintendo's has always stated that they start work on the next gen console as soon as the current one is released. It takes about 5 years or more to conceptualize, design and make new games hardware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nightez said:
There is absolutely nothing "new" confirmed here. Nintendo's has always stated that they start work on the next gen console as soon as the current one is released. It takes about 5 years or more to conceptualize, design and make new games hardware.

Well if we don't count iterations it's been more than 5 years for the DS. :p

PS: I still think we won't see the DS2 till 2011.

GamerZero

Brettison said:
Well if we don't count iterations it's been more than 5 years for the DS. :p

PS: I still think we won't see the DS2 till 2011.

I'm also thinking we may see a DS2 release sometime next year but I'm wondering if we'll hear some kind of an early official DS2 announcement from Nintendo this year?

Top Bottom