• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
TunaLover said:
"When Mr. Miyamoto goes to Mr. Iwata and says. 'I have this great idea and I can't do it on the Wii,' that's when there will be a next generation console. What that includes we'll see. I think Mr. Miyamoto himself has said that he himself is very interested in a high-definition experience, but to be 120 percent crystal clear, HD by itself in our view is not enough to go for a new console past the Wii. (Our new console will be) consistent with what we brought to market with Wii and with DS. It will be mainstream. It will be encouraging more and more consumers to get into this category that we love. It will provide new, unique, compelling experiences that are meaningful to that large potential consumer base. Those are the principles that drive us." - Reggie Fils-Aime

In a recent interview, I think it was today

"I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate. I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing. So, all I can tell you is that we will innovate. We will provide something new. Something that the consumer and the industry will look at and say 'Wow, I didn't see that coming.'"

:lol

I can't believe someone hasn't made a thread about this yet. *hint hint*

Fatalah said:
The economy.

I'd say it has more to do how Sony and MS jumped into this generation.
They thought "We have to go big and bad! No matter the cost."

Except that it really bit them in the butt.

As for Nintendo, they've been turning yarn to gold with their systems and haven't had much of a reason to update.

Fatalah

AceBandage said:
I'd say it has more to do how Sony and MS jumped into this generation.
They thought "We have to go big and bad! No matter the cost."

Except that it really bit them in the butt.

I would say that the disastrous economy is the common thread that separates 1990-2006 videogaming, from 2006-present..

TunaLover

Skiesofwonder said:
"I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate. I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing. So, all I can tell you is that we will innovate. We will provide something new. Something that the consumer and the industry will look at and say 'Wow, I didn't see that coming.'"

The embarrasment comes from not having a purpouse to do that, they throw new machines for the sake to strike gold somehow, but without a proper vision aside of the me too factor.

Maxrunner

Skiesofwonder said:

where did he said that?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
TunaLover said:
The embarrasment comes from not having a purpouse to do that, they throw new machines for the sake to strike gold somehow, but without a proper vision aside of the me too factor.

Yeah, I understand. I actually agree with Reggie on that. It is embarrassing for the game industry as a whole.

But, what I find funny is that the President of Nintendo of America actually has the balls to come out and say something like that. He didn't side-step the question or sugar-coat it... he just said exactly what was on his mind.

Reggie, still kicking ass and taking names. Loving it!!

Maxrunner said:
where did he said that?

http://kotaku.com/5492102/the-next-wii-will-innovate-the-race-to-motion-is-embarrassingquot

Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah, I understand. I actually agree with Reggie on that. It is embarrassing for the game industry as a whole.

But, what I find funny is that the President of Nintendo of America actually has the balls to come out and say something like that. He didn't side-step the question or sugar-coat it... he just said exactly what was on his mind.

Reggie, still kicking ass and taking names. Loving it!!

http://kotaku.com/5492102/the-next-wii-will-innovate-the-race-to-motion-is-embarrassingquot

Well, that is Nintendo's overall philosophy, isn't it?
Despite all the flak people give them for rehashing their franchises, they are still leaders not followers.
And let's face it, just making a PS3 or 360 clone would have just put them back into the position they were in last generation.

Fatalah said:
I would say that the disastrous economy is the common thread that separates 1990-2006 videogaming, from 2006-present..

I don't think you have a valid argument for this. The videogame market was growing even through 2008, even while Sony and MS were losing money. The economy may be making it worse, but it's obvious that it was the underlying strategy that was fucked up. It was pretty predictable and Nintendo actually acted on it, putting the blame on the general economy is just ignoring the real issues.

rpmurphy

Skiesofwonder said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that Move is the copycat of copycats from Sony in a long time. Not that it is a bad thing for the industry, but it is what it is and not everyone would be wholly content with that if they were in Sony's shoes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
2012, holiday I assume, plan for the next system from Nintendo? So they've got two more years of a solid software lineup? Yeah. No.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I feel like I'm going back to the drawing boards again with my console/portable hybrid.

I thought I had thought out all the kinks of making a portable/hybrid "home kit" to hook up to your TV. The hooking up isn't really the problem (HDMI, power/recharge, a stand/clamp to put in front of or on top of the TV) but rather, I can't get past some issues I'm having in both planning/design. The biggie is, what about current Wii owners...I thought it would be as simple as having the "home kit" double as a sensor bar/WiiSpeak for the current Wii, but it's not so simple when you factor in that you'd basically need an extra power source *and* USB (for Wii's WiiSpeak) which *really* get's tight on top of the Wii's other cords plus the HDMI for the hybrid...

It's probably confusing to understand as I'm explaining it from my POV (of brainstorming about a hybrid for so long), but then I thought about what if people have multiple consoles even and then they get camera's/peripherals to possition around their TV for those other systems as well??? What if Nintendo plans to impliment some kind of camera system of their own for the current or next Wii? That's a lot of shit to have hangin' around your TV and a hybrid might just be too over the top!

So, back to the drawing boards. I love the idea of having a hybrid console/portable...but it's an all or nothing situation I see...it can't really be in stages with "home kits" and goofy hook-ups. I had great plans, but...for the type of consumer Nintendo is going for (everyone), it might be a turn off.

There was an article I read about Nintendo possibly approaching next-gen in stages and in some ways (like how the Wii Remote has been "upgraded") it made sense. I thought much the same way in regards to making consoles and portables converge, but really, if/when that happens I think it has to be more clear-cut that that's what it is...and that it would be all-in-one (no "home kit") or two distinctly seperate systems that could play the same games.

You also have to factor in the timing...these platforms (whether distinctly seperate or hybrid systems) would have to launch close enough to each other for it to make sense. I was thinking (and still do to a lot of degree) that the timing for market possitioning, hardware power level, software resourcing and industry readiness to such a drastic approach would be ready in time for Nintendo's "next-gen". I figured since Nintendo "held back" the Wii a generation and that the next generation for their handhelds would essentially be a GCN/Wii-level platform that the timing was right for a hybrid or *more likely* a universal platform that played the same games.

Imagine (if the rumors were true about a Tegra deal) a Tegra 2 based DS2 followed by a Tegra 3 based Wii2 that both played the same games off either DD or a new holographic storage card. 2011 for DS2, 2012 for Wii2...I dunno anymore, but either way, I'm back to the drawing boards.

swerve

Skiesofwonder said:
He didn't side-step the question or sugar-coat it... he just said exactly what was on his mind.

It's not that shocking of a statement. He didn't say *THEY* should feel embarrassed, just that if Nintendo were in the position where they felt it necessary to release hardware primarily to pick up on the trends started by the other guys, they'd feel embarrassed. Their culture has long been to strike out on their own, win or lose.

peakish

DrGAKMAN said:
I feel like I'm going back to the drawing boards again with my console/portable hybrid.

I thought I had thought out all the kinks of making a portable/hybrid "home kit" to hook up to your TV. The hooking up isn't really the problem (HDMI, power/recharge, a stand/clamp to put in front of or on top of the TV) but rather, I can't get past some issues I'm having in both planning/design. The biggie is, what about current Wii owners...I thought it would be as simple as having the "home kit" double as a sensor bar/WiiSpeak for the current Wii, but it's not so simple when you factor in that you'd basically need an extra power source *and* USB (for Wii's WiiSpeak) which *really* get's tight on top of the Wii's other cords plus the HDMI for the hybrid...

It's probably confusing to understand as I'm explaining it from my POV (of brainstorming about a hybrid for so long), but then I thought about what if people have multiple consoles even and then they get camera's/peripherals to possition around their TV for those other systems as well??? What if Nintendo plans to impliment some kind of camera system of their own for the current or next Wii? That's a lot of shit to have hangin' around your TV and a hybrid might just be too over the top!

So, back to the drawing boards. I love the idea of having a hybrid console/portable...but it's an all or nothing situation I see...it can't really be in stages with "home kits" and goofy hook-ups. I had great plans, but...for the type of consumer Nintendo is going for (everyone), it might be a turn off.

There was an article I read about Nintendo possibly approaching next-gen in stages and in some ways (like how the Wii Remote has been "upgraded") it made sense. I thought much the same way in regards to making consoles and portables converge, but really, if/when that happens I think it has to be more clear-cut that that's what it is...and that it would be all-in-one (no "home kit") or two distinctly seperate systems that could play the same games.

You also have to factor in the timing...these platforms (whether distinctly seperate or hybrid systems) would have to launch close enough to each other for it to make sense. I was thinking (and still do to a lot of degree) that the timing for market possitioning, hardware power level, software resourcing and industry readiness to such a drastic approach would be ready in time for Nintendo's "next-gen". I figured since Nintendo "held back" the Wii a generation and that the next generation for their handhelds would essentially be a GCN/Wii-level platform that the timing was right for a hybrid or *more likely* a universal platform that played the same games.

Imagine (if the rumors were true about a Tegra deal) a Tegra 2 based DS2 followed by a Tegra 3 based Wii2 that both played the same games off either DD or a new holographic storage card. 2011 for DS2, 2012 for Wii2...I dunno anymore, but either way, I'm back to the drawing boards.
This post makes me scared of Nintendo fans

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
peakish said:
This post makes me scared of Nintendo fans
DrGAKMAN has.... issues. Its best to just ignore his posts as otherwise you just embolden him to write more lengthy pseudo-intellect jargon.

Reallink

Atomski said:
I predict the resurrection of the Gameboy. DS was never meant to replace it.

I would agree. Dual screens bring nothing to the table, probably add unnecessary cost in manufacturing, and really only detract from the experience if anything. No one is buying a DS for dual screen functionality. I think they were just grasping at straws trying to differentiate the unit from the Gameboy with a cheesy gimmick. Gameboy Touch is incoming. If video out is not a big feature they push, they're really missing a gravy train. A LOT of people avoid portables cause they're uncomfortable to use.

DrGAKMAN said:

Is this all you think about in your spare time?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
swerve said:
It's not that shocking of a statement. He didn't say *THEY* should feel embarrassed, just that if Nintendo were in the position where they felt it necessary to release hardware primarily to pick up on the trends started by the other guys, they'd feel embarrassed. Their culture has long been to strike out on their own, win or lose.

Yup, stole the words from my post.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Actually, I was just thinking out loud again and regurgitating thoughts since I had kept saying that I was going to show off my hybrid concept. I figured to talk about it now that this thread has slightly-resurrected due to GDC rumors.

Here's a question...

What do you guys think is more viable for Nintendo to do:
A) a console/portable hybrid
or
B) a universal format that plays across both their console & portable systems

Diffense

I still remember how everyone was laughing at Gakman's mockup of the Wii controller and it turned out to be the closest thing to what was actually revealed.

Anyway, Nintendo definitely has a huge R&D lead in motion control both from a software and hardware perspective.
Sony is a consumer electronics company and it really shows in their console design and their overall approach.
You get the sense that they are pretty clueless about games so they wait for others to explore areas to which they can apply their engineering capabilities to 'refining'.
Microsoft and Nintendo have their grounding in software and they seem to have a more natural curiosity and ability to come up with new ideas relevant to the games themselves.

So I don't doubt that Wii2 will have some unexpected features and I expect the next XBox to bring something new to the table as well.
Then some Sony accessories will come out, depending on when PS4 launches...lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DrGAKMAN said:
Actually, I was just thinking out loud again and regurgitating thoughts since I had kept saying that I was going to show off my hybrid concept. I figured to talk about it now that this thread has slightly-resurrected due to GDC rumors.

Here's a question...

What do you guys think is more viable for Nintendo to do:
or
Well they would both be poor decisions but I suppose option B is the more viable of the two.

swerve

DrGAKMAN said:

Can't work. Having the game console disappear from the living room when little Jimmy takes it to his friend's house or to school doesn't seem like a big selling point for the whole family.

DrGAKMAN said:

Can work. But their severe neglect of Wii-DS connectivity suggests they see value in keeping the two threads separate. And look how well the Pollux Engine worked out for S-E...

I imagine next-DS to have a new input device and to be very different from Wii and whatever comes after Wii, meaning that no matter the feasibility of a shared storage format, the likelihood of shared game mechanics is low.

How did HD-DVD/DVD double sided disks do?

selig

Banned
Can we cancel talking about Tegra? :/

There´s so many other chips Nintendo could use. Worst was, when that guy that was banned, posted his blog and refused to believe that there wouldnt be a Tegra-chip, from what an insider told him.

And really, I could care less about what specific chips are used. If at the end we have "GameCube-level graphics", then they can name the chip "Pigra", whatever.

PS: AND I WANT A NDS2, BRING IT ON, NINTENDO

Sirius

To think of what could be next in terms of control fidelity is partially mind-numbing; as in there are so many possibilities yet which would actually be feasible with the standards in this day and age?

I would personally love to see Haptic technology and directional force-feedback become a part of the new control mechanism, tried it out at an Engineering expo and it was unbelievably spooky... yet that sort of tech seems impractical while keeping the controllers wireless and battery powered.

Of course, Nintendo could always employ the back-up plan:

nintendo-on.jpg

Reallink said:
I would agree. Dual screens bring nothing to the table, probably add unnecessary cost in manufacturing, and really only detract from the experience if anything.
Clamshell good.
If mirroring GBASP design, having touch only on a flip-up portion bad.
So move touch screen to bottom portion.
So what do we stick on the flip-up portion other than speakers?
Diffense said:
I still remember how everyone was laughing at Gakman's mockup of the Wii controller and it turned out to be the closest thing to what was actually revealed.
Yeah. I often find GAKMAN's speculation crazy, but he has hit a grand slam or two.

WillyFive

DrGAKMAN said:

I'd like to see this, but since the difference between the Wii and DS is MUCH higher than the difference between the Gamecube and GBA, Nintendo would have to do a system that plays the same on a console and a handheld.

The Wii won't work as a handheld. Neither the DS as a console.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's my insane prediction for the next Wii (as I fully expect them to include something nobody has thought of):

It is it's own projector. No TV needed. Not holographic or anything like that--just is a console/projector hybrid.

selig

Banned
Plinko said:
Here's my insane prediction for the next Wii (as I fully expect them to include something nobody has thought of):

It is it's own projector. No TV needed. Not holographic or anything like that--just is a console/projector hybrid.

Another popular theory from back then before the wiimote´s unveiling. I also think that it´s a possibility, but then again...you have to have room for a projector, and they are expensive to replace the Glühbirne, once it´s used for a long time. But me, too, expect something crazy like that. Projector, 3D-visor, or something we´r not thinking of,yet. I cant stop thinking at the Miyamoto-quote, where he said "I´d love to bringt the game out of the TV, into the room". Hopeful wish, or a hint? Who knows.

DrGAKMAN said:

I still remember you from years ago :lol Keep up the good work :lol

selig said:
Another popular theory from back then before the wiimote´s unveiling. I also think that it´s a possibility, but then again...you have to have room for a projector, and they are expensive to replace the Glühbirne, once it´s used for a long time. But me, too, expect something crazy like that. Projector, 3D-visor, or something we´r not thinking of,yet. I cant stop thinking at the Miyamoto-quote, where he said "I´d love to bringt the game out of the TV, into the room". Hopeful wish, or a hint? Who knows.

it could use one of those new portable projectors which are also implemented in cellphones

Ramenman

selig said:
Earl Cazone said:
it could use one of those new portable projectors which are also implemented in cellphones

What is cracking me up is, this is exactly (emphasis : exactly) the thing that was predicted to happen back when the Wii was still called Revolution and we didn't know anything aside from the design, with the same Miyamoto quote and the same cellphone tech mentionned to back it up. I think it was five years ago. How time flies.

peakish

Plinko said:

What would be the point? Families (which even more now than before the Wii is the main focus) have TV sets. Projectors costing as much as they already do would make the price hit the roof of the console and it would be much more of a hassle to manage for casual gamers setting everything up.

(Well at least you think they're thinking of something completely different than you so I'm only commenting on the idea itself)

selig

Banned
peakish said:
What would be the point? Families (which even more now than before the Wii is the main focus) have TV sets. Projectors costing as much as they already do would make the price hit the roof of the console and it would be much more of a hassle to manage for casual gamers setting everything up.

(Well at least you think they're thinking of something completely different than you so I'm only commenting on the idea itself)

I dont think it´s very likely that Nintendo integrates a projector into their next system, BUT I can see the merits of that idea.
Basically, Nintendo frees the consumer from the need of a TV. The wouldnt only make Nintendo independent from other companies products, but would also neutralize any differences in what kind of game experience you get. Everyone would get the same experience for their money, not rich guy would be able to buy a better device, because there wouldnt be one. It´d be a great approach into a more fair age of gaming. Still, I cant see a projector becoming reality. Rather 3D-visors :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
peakish said:

1. They're already using projectors on cellphones so I can't imagine the price would be insane--especially by the time this thing comes out.

2. Everybody has a TV, but not everybody has a big-screen TV. Instead of playing on your 31-inch TV, find a blank wall or projector screen and play on a 72-inch screen. Also, portability--internal battery that you can charge allows you to take it with you. Include (or offer separately) a mini-projector screen to hang on the back of a car/plane/bus seat, etc, and you've got the most portable console ever.

Plinko

selig said:
I dont think it´s very likely that Nintendo integrates a projector into their next system, BUT I can see the merits of that idea.
Basically, Nintendo frees the consumer from the need of a TV. The wouldnt only make Nintendo independent from other companies products, but would also neutralize any differences in what kind of game experience you get. Everyone would get the same experience for their money, not rich guy would be able to buy a better device, because there wouldnt be one. It´d be a great approach into a more fair age of gaming. Still, I cant see a projector becoming reality. Rather 3D-visors :D

This is the other thing I thought they'd possibly include. Takes the need for a 3-D TV out of the picture.

stilgar

DrGAKMAN said:
What if Nintendo plans to impliment some kind of camera system of their own for the current or next Wii? That's a lot of shit to have hangin' around your TV and a hybrid might just be too over the top!

I'm pretty cautious with the reste of your speculations (albeit really interesting), but I'm definitely seeing this coming.

nightez

Banned
My only wish is that Nintendo goes back to designing powerful hardware again. This is the 1st generation where Sony had a more powerful machine than Nintendo.

Eteric Rice

nightez said:
My only wish is that Nintendo goes back to designing powerful hardware again. This is the 1st generation where Sony had a more powerful machine than Nintendo.

I doubt they're going to go the Sony route. At best, you'll see a sort of "powerful, but affordable" system from them. Making a $399 + system is a bad move these days, and Nintendo knows it.

Top Bottom