• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

thefro said:
I think the DS2 would be a 2011 release. Definitely not coming out this year.
Yeah. Original DS had an amazingly short turnaround from announcement to reveal to launch all within 2004, but it all started with a January announcement.

Snakeyes

GamerZero said:
I'm also thinking we may see a DS2 release sometime next year but I'm wondering if we'll hear some kind of an early official DS2 announcement from Nintendo this year?
Crossing my fingers for E3 '10

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
viciouskillersquirrel said:
WHY DO YOU HATE ME, Black-Wind? IS IT BECAUSE I THINK THE IDEA OF A WIIHD IS STUPID?
Well, I would rebuy the PS2 if they put out a slim with an HDMI output for $100, so I think a Wii Model 2 would sell quite well. I would love to see Nintendo find a way to make it smaller.

Drkirby said:
Well, I would rebuy the PS2 if they put out a slim with an HDMI output for $100, so I think a Wii Model 2 would sell quite well. I would love to see Nintendo find a way to make it smaller.
A model 2 Wii isn't completely out of the question, but it's not a large system anyway. It would be a minimal shrinkage at best. A bump adding more flash and an HDMI port would be something else though. I don't think it will happen though. I'm still disappointed with them for not requiring 480p and widescreen capability for all games.

Black-Wind said:
I remember your post and you were already on my shit list!

Good.

GamerZero said:
If the DS2 is launched in Japan first then TGS or a Japanese only Nintendo event is the most likely place where a DS successor will get announced.

I'm not sure why that would be the case at all. Hardware is announced or revealed quite often at E3 and it's only recently that anyone's started to do worldwide launches. If we're talking a November/December release, E3 is literally the only remaining big gaming event at which Nintendo would have a chance to announce the system.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
charlequin said:
Good.

I'm not sure why that would be the case at all. Hardware is announced or revealed quite often at E3 and it's only recently that anyone's started to do worldwide launches. If we're talking a November/December release, E3 is literally the only remaining big gaming event at which Nintendo would have a chance to announce the system.
Unless they make their own.

Lonely1 said:
Unless they make their own.

Actually having your own big reveal event for a new piece of hardware would actually be a little unusual, I think. Part of the reason that new hardware is so frequently revealed at E3 or similar events is that it makes it easier to hype and disseminate the information you're putting out since everyone's already there to cover whatever you're presenting.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
It's so difficult to predict how Nintendo will handle their next-gen plans. We hear rumors about Tegra, see patents about vibrating/pressure senstive touch screens and we have Iwata basically saying it'll have (more than just) a hi-res screen and tilt built-in. Then some look at the competition and start to think "Nintendo needs to do something soon". More telling then all the above is the DS's line-up of software and the longevity there of...which is why there's so much heat over the next PokeMon game and whether or not it'll be on the current or next DS. Then there's the whole "what about the DSi XL" people who may (price) or may not (GC micro) have a good point.

Now we're getting into the hows/whens of Nintendo revealing/launching the next DS. I think we'll know more depending upon the rumors/news made around GDC and not just about Nintendo, but about Sony & Apple plans as well. If Sony plans to unveil a "PSP2" at E3, Nintendo should be there too, but if not, then they may hold off on the reveal and only make a slight (cryptic, like the pre-DS reveal details) announcement about the "future" with a full on reveal happening later (like TGS 2010 or Nintendo Media Summit October 2010 (or Febuary 2011?) or maybe even as far as E3 2011).

The thing to consider about all this is pricing. If they truly are making a big leap with the next DS then will it be that much more expensive than the DSi XL's $189 (US) price? Or would it come after the DS lite, DSi & DSi XL all drop in price? Depends on said leap, the launch time frame and it's overall possitioning...meaning, if it's to be a console/portable hybrid, then maybe a launch price matching the Wii's ($249 (US)) price at launch would be more justified? Otherwise the price should be around $199 (US) with the current DS's all dropping in price...but with Nintendo not wanting to lower prices and arguably (along with Sony/Apple) raising the prices on portables what then??? This all leads me more to further believe that the next DS would be a hybrid portable/console to justify it's higher price above the current DS's and even the current Wii.

As far as releasing a "Wii HD" (smaller, current Wii with more storage & HDMI output)...they no longer would have to with such a hyrbid DS in place...two birds with one stone! That's not to say (as the current Wii winds down) that another next-gen Wii console-only to replace it wouldn't come, just that this hybrid DS (in some ways) could help Nintendo extend the life of the current Wii (or become it's own thing) until then.

GamerZero

Although we won't be hearing anything official from Nintendo about the DS2 at GDC we most likely will hear some unofficial 'leaks' about the DS2 at GDC, anyone agree?

Snakeyes

GamerZero said:
Although we won't be hearing anything official from Nintendo about the DS2 at GDC we most likely will hear some unofficial 'leaks' about the DS2 at GDC, anyone agree?

I just want someone to leak the specs already.

Snakeyes said:
I just want someone to leak the specs already.
I don't. Every single time someone leaks specs of any kind, people who don't understand them will read their greatest hopes and fears into the numbers. The result is a flurry of misinformation and rumour that true or not, final or not, becomes troll ammunition well into the next generation.

Every. Single. Time.

Snakeyes

I believe that specs still give you a good idea of what type of performance to expect. Just want to know if I'm getting my portable GC or not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont care about the hardware specs, but I would like to know what extentions and features it has. Stuff like the touchscreen capabilities, screen size, output resolution, storage mediums, and whether or not it has a camera.

I suppose a lot of that can be assumed and and worked out now, but its always nice to know for sure.

GamerZero said:

We've been hearing "leaks" for nearly a year.
It doesn't mean anything, though, until Iwata holds it up in front of the press.

Somnid

EatChildren said:
I dont care about the hardware specs, but I would like to know what extentions and features it has. Stuff like the touchscreen capabilities, screen size, output resolution, storage mediums, and whether or not it has a camera.

I suppose a lot of that can be assumed and and worked out now, but its always nice to know for sure.

I agree. Specs don't tell us anything about games and software, some of the best games o DS and PSP aren't exactly pushing the system but rather making good use of the unique hardware and software features.

Snakeyes said:
I believe that specs still give you a good idea of what type of performance to expect. Just want to know if I'm getting my portable GC or not.
They really don’t, you know. On paper, the PS3 absolutely destroys the Xbox 360 if you make the assumption that PS3 games take full advantage of the number of SPUs on offer. The reality is that most games aren’t really built that way and CELL is designed more for DSP and multithread apps than for something like a game.

Just looking at specs might also lead you to believe that the average (non-Nintendo) Wii game is basically an Xbox 1 game with motion/pointer controls.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bah. each time i see this thread bumped i get all excited and yell 'did they reveal it yet!', just to sink to the bottom of disappointment seconds later.

neoanarch

blu said:
bah. each time i see this thread bumped i get all excited and yell 'did they reveal it yet!', just to sink to the bottom of disappointment seconds later.

The reveal will have its own thread with lots of exclamation points and caps lock. At most you'll get some more "insider info" and rumors in this one.

blu said:
This.

Why the fuck do people keep randomly bumping this thread for no reason? I always assume that theres some new rumor when this thread is bumped but thats never the case. :/

swerve

Snakeyes said:
I wonder if the insiders lurk this thread and enjoy watching us squirm...

Of course, just like every other thread. I'm guessing most companies have a few members who would love to post but always have to restrain themselves. And laugh at us.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
just for the record, i was being sarcastic. we're not getting a new handheld or home nintendo console this year, so nothing will be announced anytime soon re those.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Black-Wind said:
This.

Why the fuck do people keep randomly bumping this thread for no reason? I always assume that theres some new rumor when this thread is bumped but thats never the case. :/

Well some of us like to speculate and it's better to keep this "pool" of speculation active in one topic rather than keep opening new topics that get mucked up with 10 posts on the first page that say: "every God damn week, I sware!".

Let's keep it all in one place, it's very tough to post the same shite in 10 different threads and watch them all die.

Soon I should have a nice conceptual drawing for my hybrid idea so maybe you guys can see how it would work.

I don't. Every single time someone leaks specs of any kind, people who don't understand them will read their greatest hopes and fears into the numbers. The result is a flurry of misinformation and rumour that true or not, final or not, becomes troll ammunition well into the next generation.

Every. Single. Time.
Yep. Hey. When someone says that the next Nintendo console should be 720p capable, do you groan? It drives me nuts.

wRATH2x

Banned

Every. Single. Time.
Thats the fun part.

bmf said:
Yep. Hey. When someone says that the next Nintendo console should be 720p capable, do you groan? It drives me nuts.
Oh God, yes. It's like people think a bigger frame buffer and a port are still these high-end and expensive things that can only be delivered by the POWAH of $599. Here's a hint: the next Nintendo console will probably have an HDMI port and be able to deliver images in 1080p. This won't make Nintendo's games any better. All it'll do is remove another dot point that netizens can use to troll your favourite system. It'll be replaced by others, though, because Nintendo is not a technology company and don't give a flying F*CK about the oomf under the hood.

It's just like every time someone asks for more CPU grunt so devs can implement "better AI". I hate it when people ask for "physics" in games where there is clearly no place for a dedicated physics engine. It hurts my head when people ask for 1:1 motion controls or think that this'd somehow be a good thing. I can't stand when people ask for online multiplayer or co-op when such things would clearly go against the experience. It annoys me when people go on about how such-and-such tech provides benefits such as uncompressed audio when the overwhelming majority of people will push said uncompressed audio through their TV speakers and most of the rest have their surround sound systems set up wrong!

*sigh*

I feel a little bit better.

You feel better? I get to have all the benefits of that rant in this thread and I didn't even have to waste my own precious time writing it! :lol

sinxtanx

Oh God, yes. It's like people think a bigger frame buffer and a port are still these high-end and expensive things that can only be delivered by the POWAH of $599. Here's a hint: the next Nintendo console will probably have an HDMI port and be able to deliver images in 1080p. This won't make Nintendo's games any better. All it'll do is remove another dot point that netizens can use to troll your favourite system. It'll be replaced by others, though, because Nintendo is not a technology company and don't give a flying F*CK about the oomf under the hood.

It's just like every time someone asks for more CPU grunt so devs can implement "better AI". I hate it when people ask for "physics" in games where there is clearly no place for a dedicated physics engine. It hurts my head when people ask for 1:1 motion controls or think that this'd somehow be a good thing. I can't stand when people ask for online multiplayer or co-op when such things would clearly go against the experience. It annoys me when people go on about how such-and-such tech provides benefits such as uncompressed audio when the overwhelming majority of people will push said uncompressed audio through their TV speakers and most of the rest have their surround sound systems set up wrong!

*sigh*

*pats on back*

That was a perfect rant if I ever saw one

:lol

I'm glad I asked. Every time I feel the need to explain that a TV encoder that can produce a 1080i/p or 720p signal is the most minor of the components that would have to be upgraded in order to make a WiiHD I rage a little inside.

Threi

notag

*sigh*

you did good man.

you did good.
125gw79.jpg

According to Matt Cassassassassa, the Wii 2 will be out in 2012.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1077008p1.html

Speaking of Nintendo, everyone seems to be waiting for word on the company's next system. It's the go-to question in interviews. "Yes, I understand Wii sold a bazillion units in December alone, but hey -- when's Wii HD coming?" Yeah -- I'm guilty of that one, too. And it's no different when I talk to developers and publishers, nearly all of whom receive the obligatory query about new hardware -- what and when? I always resign myself to the no comment or the no idea, but at GDC I struck a bit of a niblet when a developer said Nintendo told him it would be ready to roll with Wii 2 in 2012. Anybody with a brain would probably guess as much, but it is even so always refreshing to hear so from a semi-official source.

Also, some other things in the article, but it's mostly just flame bait, so I'll stay away from posting it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It's just like every time someone asks for more CPU grunt so devs can implement "better AI".

*sigh*

This one annoys me to no end. AI is pure programing. Unless your AI is "Calculate every possible movement the player can make in the next 10 seconds and weight it with consideration of past movement patterns, than move NPCs in area where is has the highest odds to hit the character", you do not need more CPU power. The average AI is more along the lines of "follow this path, hit player 5% of time if x pixels away from you"

I still hope that we get a new DS before the end of 2011. I know I just bought a DSi, but you know what, I want iPhone and PSP level 2D on my Nintendo portable D:

I'm glad I asked. Every time I feel the need to explain that a TV encoder that can produce a 1080i/p or 720p signal is the most minor of the components that would have to be upgraded in order to make a WiiHD I rage a little inside.

This is something I always wondered, is there no way even with the Wii ISO system, that it could not be made as is? Just make a Wii port > HDMI cable/adapter, and upgrade the software to know how to output a signal to an HDMI port (Or if that is not possible, put the encoder on a chip and put it in the cable/adapter)

I am sure there is enough ways to do it now if that was Nintendo's only goal is to make the Wii output though an HDMI port.

Snakeyes

Willy105 said:
What's the rush?

The Wii still has a while to go, and this generation is gearing to be longer than the usual.

I'm also not very excited about the thought of a Wii HD at this point. There are some pretty good games coming out in the near future.

On the other hand, the DS is starting to get old and a succesor should come sooner than later.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Snakeyes said:
Does the party continue here since the other thread got locked?
Well, maybe it's possible they could use the same architecture of the GCN, but instead of increasing the specs (like they did for Wii) they reduced them. The graphics may be pretty comparable when put on a lower resolution screen. That would be something if Nintendo did that though. They would have essentially recycled the exact same technology for over 10 years when all is said and done. That really says something about the design of it.

Snakeyes

MadOdorMachine said:
Well, maybe it's possible they could use the same architecture of the GCN, but instead of increasing the specs (like they did for Wii) they reduced them. The graphics may be pretty comparable when put on a lower resolution screen. That would be something if Nintendo did that though. They would have essentially recycled the exact same technology for over 10 years when all is said and done. That really says something about the design of it.

I don't really see the point in doing that. It's not like GC-level tech is expensive by today's handheld standards. It is Nintendo, but I doubt they'd dumb the hardware down just for the hell of it.

r.pad, could you please provide more info on what "similar in power to the Gamecube" means?

EDIT: nvm, he got banned :(

Drkirby said:
This is something I always wondered, is there no way even with the Wii ISO system, that it could not be made as is? Just make a Wii port > HDMI cable/adapter, and upgrade the software to know how to output a signal to an HDMI port (Or if that is not possible, put the encoder on a chip and put it in the cable/adapter)

I am sure there is enough ways to do it now if that was Nintendo's only goal is to make the Wii output though an HDMI port.
HDMI and upscaling would be fairly simple to achieve. It would take slightly *different* hardware - specifically a TV encoder chip that knows how to encode HDMI and has a built-in scaler. Rendering at a higher resolution is a different problem. The software on the disc typically knows how to only render at a few specific resolutions - 480i/p and knows that it should be able to have correct aspects for 4:3 and 16:9. Rendering older titles at a higher/different resolution will either take a light bit of emulation to interrupt and replace parts of the game code that determines the resolution and aspect or downloadable updates to older games that add those resolutions in.

I believe that *most* 360 games handle the problem of higher resolutions by just rendering for a 720p screen and then either downscaling to 480i/p or upscaling to 1080i/p - probably by the method defined by the ATSC.

Now that we've gotten past that..... insert general rant about the ATSC and their inability to stick to a single resolution, define a display that excludes an area of the screen that can't be seen, or equally serve 24 and 30 frame sources. Fuckers.

GamerZero

Snakeyes said:
I'm also not very excited about the thought of a Wii HD at this point. There are some pretty good games coming out in the near future.

On the other hand, the DS is starting to get old and a succesor should come sooner than later.

If Wii 2 is indeed coming in 2012 where does that put a possible next-gen DS successor release?

TunaLover

"When Mr. Miyamoto goes to Mr. Iwata and says. 'I have this great idea and I can't do it on the Wii,' that's when there will be a next generation console. What that includes we'll see. I think Mr. Miyamoto himself has said that he himself is very interested in a high-definition experience, but to be 120 percent crystal clear, HD by itself in our view is not enough to go for a new console past the Wii. (Our new console will be) consistent with what we brought to market with Wii and with DS. It will be mainstream. It will be encouraging more and more consumers to get into this category that we love. It will provide new, unique, compelling experiences that are meaningful to that large potential consumer base. Those are the principles that drive us." - Reggie Fils-Aime

In a recent interview, I think it was today

Meesh

bmf said:
A model 2 Wii isn't completely out of the question, but it's not a large system anyway. It would be a minimal shrinkage at best. A bump adding more flash and an HDMI port would be something else though. I don't think it will happen though. I'm still disappointed with them for not requiring 480p and widescreen capability for all games.
You know, I've been saying it for awhile, long before GDC, but with PSmove and Natal just around the corner, I'm thinking all it'll take is that killer launch game for both to hit enthusiast Wii gamers. If I'm willing to bite, depending on software, it's anyones game!So It's not out of the question, they know Wii enthusiasts want that motion controlled HD console, and if Nintendo won't deliver...weeeeeeeell, it could get dicey. Of course, Nintendo could milk the Wii for quite some time, and like you said they could release a model 2 Wii (Wii anorexic??) but it's doubtful...and more doubtful for Wiihd anytime soon...even though I strongly suggest otherwise. (Iwata's a closet gaf lurker, I'm sure of it.) So...I'm equally disappointed.

Top Bottom