• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

I'm thinking about what Nintendo might end up naming its new handheld. I guess it will depend on its final design and the target market for its differentiation factor. Any ideas on what it might be named?

I don't think they'll stick with the dual screens so DS2 is out. I also doubt Nintendo will want to change their market focus so GameBoy is most definitely a no go. I think something that plays off the Wii brand is a possibility, Wii Pocket for example. Any other ideas?

nightez

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
What if Nintendo plans to impliment some kind of camera system of their own for the current or next Wii? That's a lot of shit to have hangin' around your TV and a hybrid might just be too over the top!

According to IGN the Xbox camera doesn't work. Nintendo even said the tech was shopped around to them and other companies quite a while ago.

nightez

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I doubt they're going to go the Sony route. At best, you'll see a sort of "powerful, but affordable" system from them. Making a $399 + system is a bad move these days, and Nintendo knows it.

Yes true.

I'd keep an eye on Onlive if I were the BIG N. They could maybe make their next machine a super cheap terminal, with all the horsepower carried on remote servers.

stilgar

LegendofJoe said:
I'm thinking about what Nintendo might end up naming its new handheld. I guess it will depend on its final design and the target market for its differentiation factor. Any ideas on what it might be named?

I'm not into marketing, but the "DS" brand is like, their best selling product of all time. I'm really confident they won't drop the name that soon. DS Advance is on the way for me.

wrowa

LegendofJoe said:
I don't think they'll stick with the dual screens so DS2 is out. I also doubt Nintendo will want to change their market focus so GameBoy is most definitely a no go. I think something that plays off the Wii brand is a possibility, Wii Pocket for example. Any other ideas?
It's going to be called DS2 or at least something with "DS" in its name. There are two reasons for it.

The first one: 90% of the people don't know what "DS" stands for to begin with and 99% don't care about the meaning. At this point of time it is nothing else than a brand name - and the most successful brand Nintendo ever had. They won't sacrifice the name just because the DS2 maybe won't have two screens. In the end, the amount of screens doesn't matter when it comes to the name. It's marketing.

The second one: The DS2 will have two screens. Otherwise the handheld wouldn't be compatible with DS software and their is pretty much no way that the DS2 won't be backward compatible to DS games.

Snakeyes

stilgar said:
I'm not into marketing, but the "DS" brand is like, their best selling product of all time. I'm really confident they won't drop the name that soon. DS Advance is on the way for me.

DS2

DS+

Super Nintendo DS

stilgar said:

Wouldn't that just be another incremental upgrade then, like the DSi? Do you think Nintendo is going to keep the DS brand around for 15 years like they did the GameBoy brand?

stilgar

LegendofJoe said:
Wouldn't that just be another incremental upgrade then, like the DSi? Do you think Nintendo is going to keep the DS brand around for 15 years like they did the GameBoy brand?

Like Wrowa said, they even could keep the "DS" name and drop the double screens, I don't think it would be a problem.

And if you look at it, they threw the "gameboy" brand when they started with the disruptive strategy, going towards blue ocean, etc. With the DS name they hooked a generation a consumers, and even though I don't think they'll keep it as long as they did with gameboy (with sytems cycles shortening), I'm definitely looking for "the new DS/New games/New graphics/New whatever" adds : people won't see it as an incremental upgrade if what they see is different. Then the name will just be useful as a sort of "seal of quality".

But if we're going to an hybrid systems, all of this is crap :p

selig

Banned
I actually could imagine that Nintendo uses the name "Nintendo DS" as a more general brand-name, while giving the DS2 its own, specific name. Like "A Nintendo DS-product: mWii". So the handheld would be called "mWii" by everyone, but everyone would also see, in on of the corners of the box, that it´s a product from the NDS-line.

But who knows...

GamerZero said:
How legit is this article?- http://rpad.tv/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds2-information-unearthed-at-gdc-2010/

they talked about it on the current 4Guys/1up podcast. I'm sure other people at GDC also asked Developers about any DS2 info they knew about so maybe we'll hear more reports soon from them.

I think that was posted before and it's just info that was from a rumor on GAF or something.

Eh, not a rumor but the same kind of stuff:

Wii said:

DrGAKMAN said:
Actually, I was just thinking out loud again and regurgitating thoughts since I had kept saying that I was going to show off my hybrid concept. I figured to talk about it now that this thread has slightly-resurrected due to GDC rumors.

Here's a question...

What do you guys think is more viable for Nintendo to do:
A) a console/portable hybrid
or
B) a universal format that plays across both their console & portable systems
C) A shared API. There is always going to be a power gap between the two, but if the API is the same, then cross-platform software becomes easier.

selig said:
Can we cancel talking about Tegra? :/

There´s so many other chips Nintendo could use. Worst was, when that guy that was banned, posted his blog and refused to believe that there wouldnt be a Tegra-chip, from what an insider told him.

And really, I could care less about what specific chips are used. If at the end we have "GameCube-level graphics", then they can name the chip "Pigra", whatever.

PS: AND I WANT A NDS2, BRING IT ON, NINTENDO
Dude was banned for starting a thread for the sole purpose of posting a link to a rumor on his own personal blog. It would have been appropriate to post the same set of rumors in this thread (without the link to the blog), and would have been accepted (but ridiculed) if the story had been on Kotaku or Joystiq instead of his own blog.

EDIT: Doesn't strip the Tegra rumor of any of it's (admittedly limited) credibility.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I remember I made a list (didn't post it here, just made it for brainstorming purposes) of what Nintendo might show at E3 this year, but thanks to the recent Nintendo conference last month over half of the BIG surefire things I thought they might save for E3 is actually launching before E3. So crossing a lot of biggies off my list really seems to make my list barren with only Zelda Wii, the Vitality Sensor & DQ IX DS left left as the biggies. So unless Nintendo starts going crazy on reveals for Wii & DS I dunno what they'll have there unless it's another big partnership collaboration or big 3RD party thing (think GTA Wii?).

The only thing left after that is a big hint or basically an announcement of the next DS. There's things to factor in...what about when it would launch, what about them holding back for the competition, what about PSP2???

As far as Tegra goes...really it makes sense if the next DS is a hybrid (thanks to HDMI integration with Tegra)...but if it's not a hybrid (of the sort that I'm suggesting) then the Tegra rumors really are just that: rumors! The opposing rumors saying Tegra won't be in the next DS and/or suggesting 2 screens that were close enough to "combine" into one large image confuses me somewhat, but who knows.

As far as the whole hybrid/universal format goes...I think it REALLY should be implimented for some games. Come on...some games just *scream* for this. RPG example: do the "grinding" on the go in your free time on the portable, then when you come home pop the same game card out of your portable and plug it into your home console to do some story questing. Mini-game example: the "main game" would be better experienced at home, but side-quests, mini-games or chapter portions could be done in portable mode. Another example: Virtual Console, there's absolutly no reason why most potential VC games couldn't be played on both your portable and your home console.

Dra-Q

Banned
GamerZero said:
How legit is this article?- http://rpad.tv/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds2-information-unearthed-at-gdc-2010/

they talked about it on the current 4Guys/1up podcast. I'm sure other people at GDC also asked Developers about any DS2 info they knew about so maybe we'll hear more reports soon from them.

Yeah, Kotaku made a news out of this. I personally hope that we really get a Nintendo TS (the "T" for the Tegra 2 chipset) end10/early11. With F-Zero GX portable and Zelda Wind Waker portable as launch titles.

DrGAKMAN said:
As far as Tegra goes...really it makes sense if the next DS is a hybrid (thanks to HDMI integration with Tegra)...but if it's not a hybrid (of the sort that I'm suggesting) then the Tegra rumors really are just that: rumors! The opposing rumors saying Tegra won't be in the next DS and/or suggesting 2 screens that were close enough to "combine" into one large image confuses me somewhat, but who knows.
Just because the feature exists in the chipset doesn't mean that it has to be implemented in the device. If the new device has an effective 2:3 (tallscreen?) aspect ratio then it won't really map to a widescreen TV very well. That doesn't preclude the possibility that it might have an HDMI port anyway, but it would be more of a curiosity than anything.
DrGAKMAN said:
As far as the whole hybrid/universal format goes...I think it REALLY should be implimented for some games. Come on...some games just *scream* for this. RPG example: do the "grinding" on the go in your free time on the portable, then when you come home pop the same game card out of your portable and plug it into your home console to do some story questing.
Grinding is so outmodded. I suppose the idea of allowing the user to supplant skill with grinding has it's place, but more often than not, when an RPG requires grinding it's because the developer didn't match the difficulty curve with the level progression curve very well. A good workaround for this is to have enemy spawns vary dependent upon what level the PC has reached. Fallout 3 did this very well.
DrGAKMAN said:
Mini-game example: the "main game" would be better experienced at home, but side-quests, mini-games or chapter portions could be done in portable mode. Another example: Virtual Console, there's absolutly no reason why most potential VC games couldn't be played on both your portable and your home console.
Here's an interesting thought. The Wii already has the ability to serve games to the DS. Why not allow Wii games to serve mini-games to the DS/i? A common API would be a much more elegant solution than trying to shoehorn the same hardware to work in both a handheld and home console capacity. It's possible, but there are much better things that Nintendo can do with that time and those resources.

selig said:
Can we cancel talking about Tegra? :/

There´s so many other chips Nintendo could use. Worst was, when that guy that was banned, posted his blog and refused to believe that there wouldnt be a Tegra-chip, from what an insider told him.

And really, I could care less about what specific chips are used. If at the end we have "GameCube-level graphics", then they can name the chip "Pigra", whatever.

PS: AND I WANT A NDS2, BRING IT ON, NINTENDO

He said that because the dev (supposedly) claimed that it's GC level power wise/ GC-Wii devs would find it easy to create with and "people familiar with the dev kit made it sound like there wasn’t much of a learning curve on the new system".

The thing is, from what lil I know about it, Tegra seems to have being easy to work on as a high point. :/

On a side note I would like to know just what a GC/Wii power level handheld would be able to do. I would think that there would be a added bonus to having a much smaller screen . . . and maybe hooking it up to the big SD screen TV when at home would come into play.

GamerZero

Some people keep saying Nintendo won't release DS2 later this year so soon after the DSi XL's recent release but chances are it will be released first in Japan (where the Dsi XL has been out longer) late this year and then in North America & Europe sometime next year. But then there could be a worldwide launch sometime next year also.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
Just because the feature exists in the chipset doesn't mean that it has to be implemented in the device. If the new device has an effective 2:3 (tallscreen?) aspect ratio then it won't really map to a widescreen TV very well. That doesn't preclude the possibility that it might have an HDMI port anyway, but it would be more of a curiosity than anything.

I weighed having 2 screens vs 1, then I also factor how Nintendo may impliment future revisisons for the "DS2" (like phat to lite to DSi to XL) and I also think about how the ergonomic arrangements of how the unit is held/played and that's just beyond the screen(s) size, resolution & aspect ratio. If the DS2 has one screen or two screens (that somehow "combine") and the aspect ratio fits to a 16:9 standerd than an HDMI port makes sense for scaling to an HDTV, but if it doesn't (and they're not aiming the device to be a hybrid of any type) then neither an HDMI port nor Tegra is needed/likely.

Grinding is so outmodded. I suppose the idea of allowing the user to supplant skill with grinding has it's place, but more often than not, when an RPG requires grinding it's because the developer didn't match the difficulty curve with the level progression curve very well. A good workaround for this is to have enemy spawns vary dependent upon what level the PC has reached. Fallout 3 did this very well.

Grinding was just an example...an example that I also put in quotes...this isn't an argument for or against the gameplay mechanic of grinding, but rather how something LIKE grinding could be done on the go but the more story-based or "main" game could be played at home, in comfort and in a home theater cinematic set-up.

Here's an interesting thought. The Wii already has the ability to serve games to the DS. Why not allow Wii games to serve mini-games to the DS/i? A common API would be a much more elegant solution than trying to shoehorn the same hardware to work in both a handheld and home console capacity. It's possible, but there are much better things that Nintendo can do with that time and those resources.

So far, it seems Nintendo has avoided that type of "connectivity" between the DS & Wii on purpose. I don't see them switching gears on that now...sure there's some light experimentation with Wario DIY also as a (gallery only) Wii Channel, but nothing to the level of the GBA & GCN connectivity attempts last generation. And I'm suggesting something beyond just connectivity...more along the lines of one game that has both the (the at home & on the go) game "modes" in them. Granted, this wouldn't be for all games, just where it makes sense. I do not disagree with you about common API's, but that sorta is a blanket statement...what I've suggested before with the hybrid (or better exmple, the universal format) is that the portable would be Tegra 2 based while the home console would be Tegra 3...but this is all assuming the Tegra rumors hold water. And if they don't then the hybrid concept I've suggested particularly seems way less likely for Nintendo to do...but the universal format could still come to fruition, for certain games.

With the DS2 likely to be a leap to GCN (or even a Wii+ since the Wii is just a GCN+ and the screen would be portable) and the Wii was "held back" with the next one possibly not being way beyond the current generation HD consoles...I really do think many games could look/play somewhat similarly in either a portable or at home "modes". The at home console mode obviously looking better, but not so much that the game couldn't share basic similarities in portable mode.

VegaShinra

Say if the DS2 comes out this yr and Nintendo releases a WiiHD in 2011. That gives them two E3s to rock things and it fits the usual Nintendo way of moving things along. Once we see first party stuff stop on a Nintendo system almost always new hardware is in the line. After Zelda, Metroid, and Mario this yr for Wii, do you really think Nintendo will put more big first party stuff out next yr? I doubt it.

Is it feasible for Nintendo to release a WiiHD in 2011 and let it "fill in" the gap until MS and Sony launch a new system say in 2015? Then Nintendo can counter the next wave of systems with a new system in 2015/16.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
VegaShinra said:
Say if the DS2 comes out this yr and Nintendo releases a WiiHD in 2011. That gives them two E3s to rock things and it fits the usual Nintendo way of moving things along. Once we see first party stuff stop on a Nintendo system almost always new hardware is in the line. After Zelda, Metroid, and Mario this yr for Wii, do you really think Nintendo will put more big first party stuff out next yr? I doubt it.

Is it feasible for Nintendo to release a WiiHD in 2011 and let it "fill in" the gap until MS and Sony launch a new system say in 2015? Then Nintendo can counter the next wave of systems with a new system in 2015/16.

People are *really* reaching with the 2015 PS3 10yr lifespan BS and the Move/Natal will add 5yrs onto the current generation BS. Once Move/Natal fail to reach the numbers the Wii has already pulled in Sony/MS will be looking to suplant Nintendo by talking about their next-gen (now with 4D and HHDD)...and it'll be *way* before 2015.

I'm not pretending to know the future, but I am not under the above illusion nor under the "Nintendo needs WiiHD" Pachter persuasion either. DS2 2011 & Wii2 2012 at the earliest with the competing systems (PSP2 then X720/PS4) coming around then too. And that's the *earliest* (sooner in Japan) and it's all on Nintendo (the market leader), not the 10yr lifespan line (from the fighting for 2ND placers).

Now, thanks to the economy, Nintendo's milking the DS/Wii cows and Sony/MS wanting more return on their investments I can foresee a longer current generation, but no "Wii HD" half-assed stop-gap mid-gen bumps in the mean time.

Can someone here tell me why on Earth Nintendo would be interested in releasing a sequel to the DS when the original is still selling like crazy? Furthermore, what kind of prices are we looking at with a DS2?

Dra-Q

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:
Can someone here tell me why on Earth Nintendo would be interested in releasing a sequel to the DS when the original is still selling like crazy? Furthermore, what kind of prices are we looking at with a DS2?

$179 for Gamecube graphics in 2010 should be realistic.

seady

IrrelevantNotch said:

The GBA was still selling very crazy back in 2004 when the DS came out. So is the PS2 when the PS3 came out. But this 'crazy' has already peaked and they need to release a new system sooner or later. No one would argue the DS has already peaked and Nintendo has already released pretty much all their franchise they could with it. They need a new system to justify another cycle of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart etc.

Also, it's not like the DS will disappear after DS2 comes out. It will just slowly drop in price to sub-$99 and keep on selling, while DS2 takes on a new cycle. The GBA was like that too.

What I am interested in is how comparable the DS2 will have to the Wii in graphics. That would be kind of :lol .

Log4Girlz

Hmm narrow gap between screens, accelerometer...I envision a Mario Kart that you drive much like an Iphone racer...just tilt the thing...no buttons, no d-pad, no map screen just one big display.

IrrelevantNotch said:
Wait until people aren't buying your first product and you risk giving someone else a time to make a mark with their product. Also, considering how long it takes for product launches to come about they have to base things not on what sales are like at the time of decision, but what they think they might be like a few years down the road when things will have come together.

caligula13

Gold Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wait until people aren't buying your first product and you risk giving someone else a time to make a mark with their product. Also, considering how long it takes for product launches to come about they have to base things not on what sales are like at the time of decision, but what they think they might be like a few years down the road when things will have come together.

i understand your logic but what makes you think that it will happen this year?
the npd numbers still show a very big interest in the DS.
i see no reason to bring it (DS2) out this year.

Neo C.

seady said:
The GBA was still selling very crazy back in 2004 when the DS came out. So is the PS2 when the PS3 came out. But this 'crazy' has already peaked and they need to release a new system sooner or later. No one would argue the DS has already peaked and Nintendo has already released pretty much all their franchise they could with it. They need a new system to justify another cycle of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart etc.

Also, it's not like the DS will disappear after DS2 comes out. It will just slowly drop in price to sub-$99 and keep on selling, while DS2 takes on a new cycle. The GBA was like that too.
You can't compare the situation of GBA with the one of the DS. If Sony didn't push the PSP to a 04 release, the DS wouldn't be released in 04.

caligula13 said:
That's my point of view too. Besides, this year is one of the most productive year in the gaming industry; I'm not sure if Nintendo 1) can bring the system sellers on the table like it did for the DS 2005, and 2) if Nintendo gets enough third party support for the DS2 this year.

caligula13 said:
i understand your logic but what makes you think that it will happen this year?
the npd numbers still show a very big interest in the DS.
Me, I'm not particularly set on it being a 2010 release. But if it is, it's because Nintendo decided so a year or two ago. If third parties have been counting on releasing games late this year and Nintendo says to them "HEY GUYS, SORRY, WAIT A YEAR WHILE WE SUCK DS DRY." that would probably be a Bad Thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
Me, I'm not particularly set on it being a 2010 release. But if it is, it's because Nintendo decided so a year or two ago. If third parties have been counting on releasing games late this year and Nintendo says to them "HEY GUYS, SORRY, WAIT A YEAR WHILE WE SUCK DS DRY." that would probably be a Bad Thing.
They might also have just decided that releasing a new system now would be better for them in the long run.

Like, say they really wanted to get into the DLC market to get even more money out of their evergreen titles. They can't really do that with the DS, and using the current mass popularity of the DS to help sell the DS2 might work very well for them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nirolak said:
They might also have just decided that releasing a new system now would be better for them in the long run.

Like, say they really wanted to get into the DLC market to get even more money out of their evergreen titles. They can't really do that with the DS, and using the current mass popularity of the DS to help sell the DS2 might work very well for them.

+ they will get the upper hand on whatever Sony brings ups next if they can build their userbse sooner.

Eteric Rice said:
I doubt they're going to go the Sony route. At best, you'll see a sort of "powerful, but affordable" system from them. Making a $399 + system is a bad move these days, and Nintendo knows it.
unfortunately, you're right.

Diffense

I'm using Pokemon prognostication to predict a DS2 launch in 2011 or early 2012.

The first Pokemon RPG release for a platform lags an enhanced platform by no more than a couple years (when DSi and GBC are considered enhanced platforms).
So the upcoming release of Pokemon ?? for DSi lags DS2 by that timeframe = 2011/2012.

Anyway, tongue-in-cheek aside, I actually think that a DS2 release in 2011 is very possible.
New Pokemon RPGs will keep DS relevant and early adopters will pick up DS2 anyway with the launch titles.

Diffense

Wii2 will obviously be more powerful than the Wii but I don't think they're going to be pushing the graphics.
As someone else noted, price point is an issue, but the other issue is that Nintendo does not want to be bogged down by the presentation.
This is part of the reason they are not going to emphasize enhanced graphics as the primary reason for the a platform.
There will be some other hook that some of use may not like but which will probably become quite standard with time.

AniHawk

Diffense said:
There will be some other hook that some of use may not like but which will probably become quite standard with time.

Microsoft and Sony are making these really cool devices that are unlike traditional controllers. Maybe Nintendo could get in on those somehow since it sounds like those are getting support from lots of third party developers.

Tf53

AniHawk said:
Microsoft and Sony are making these really cool devices that are unlike traditional controllers. Maybe Nintendo could get in on those somehow since it sounds like those are getting support from lots of third party developers.
Never change.

selig

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:

Thing is, the NDS is NOT selling like crazy anymore...in Japan. Still selling well, but not "like crazy". And it seems like a smart move to release a new system when your old one still isnt completely dead, to keep people in touch with "your" product.

Also, let´s stop talking about Wii2. It´ll feature 3D-visors, kinda obvious at this point
if we all say so it´ll come true! :/

m.i.s.

Banned
Post N64 / GCN, Nintendo will never go the Sony route.

S/NES, the then market leaders, were (more) powerful but not exactly cutting-edge either.

Dragon

Banned
M.I.S. said:
Post N64 / GCN, Nintendo will never go the Sony route.

S/NES, the then market leaders, were (more) powerful but not exactly cutting-edge either.

Nintendo is a video game company, Sony is make.believe®

m.i.s.

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:

DS is fast approaching 30 million LTD in Japan (an all-time record in hardware installed numbers also achieved in record time) but sales are slowing down as you'd expect.

Elsewhere, DS is still selling like gangbusters.

Therefore, a Japan-first launch of DS2 followed by a staggered release in NA / EU / AUS / NZ seems to be on the cards.

Top Bottom