• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Nintendo titles (Wario Land Shake, Rhythm Tengoku DS etc)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And people were saying Nintendo wasn't bringing anything to the DS in future...

Wario and a Rhythm Tengoku sequel. Oh happy day indeed.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Good news: Vanillaware is working on a new DS game

Bad news: Alongside dimple, and the game looks like crap with feet and hands-less kiddy characters :/

When Kamitani is not involved in the game at all, and it's described as a "slow life simulation" with moe moe moe characters, you can't expect much at all.

Dascu

Woah, Sim City Wii looks awesome.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Good news: Vanillaware is working on a new DS game

Bad news: Alongside dimple, and the game looks like crap with feet and hands-less kiddy characters :/
Is that the "Kumatanchi" game with the catgirls and such? Wasted talent. They should focus on their Wii game.

bafflewaffle said:
Hand draw(n) background, or (the player) hand draw(s) the background? The distinction is important.

Why would there be?

Judging from the context of "Toon Shade Characters" it`s pretty obvious that they mean "hand drawn" backgrounds.

Wow, Stafy 5!

Stafy 4 came out in 2006, why did it take so long?

Come on Nintendo, get your ass in gear and get Stafy 5 over here (may as well refer it as Stafy 1 here), around the holiday season mkay?

I wanted 4 to come here as it was the first on DS and after a two year silence, I was doubting a 5th one would come around! o_O

ShockingAlberto said:
I thought Stafy never came here simply because of the convoluted co-ownership of the IP between Nintendo and Tose?

Tose once said that they WANT Stafy to get over here, but it's all in Nintendo's hands.

JDSN said:
Who is translating the Fatal Frame scans?

Stormbringer? :D

Oh, well :

Staff -> Producer is Keisuke Kikuchi, Directors are Makoto Shibata and Suda Goichi

Details :
-The game is taking place on a mysterious island which has been related to a kidnapping case in the past. On this same island, stands a gloomy mansion whose walls are decorated of mysterious masks which are part of a puzzle.
-The main character is Ruka Minazuki, which is one of the five girls that have been rescued in this kidnapping case, and one of the three girl that decided to go back to the island (the two other girls being deceased) .
- The magazine talks about how Nintendo is supporting this project, and some mostly known stuff.
- As you can see, the point of view is different this time around, as it's in 3rd person, behind-the-back view. Will probably use the Wiimote functionalities rather extensively.

And...I think that's pretty much it. Not much as you can see, but still...I think it looks and sounds nice.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
I thought Stafy never came here simply because of the convoluted co-ownership of the IP between Nintendo and Tose?

I don't see why they would be so protective.

I mean, TOSE has the reputation of being so secretive, to the point that they don't often allow themselves to get credit for what's due to them. They've made over like 1000 games, but good like finding them all, because they don't allow themselves to get credited. :D

No, what I think is more likely is that NoA, being NoA, thinks that America would not be all that well receiving of another "Cute" franchise like Starfy/Stafy/Stafi. Which I don't really get, considering Kirby does well enough over here (despite him being made ANGRY in the States), but eh...

Whatever the case may be, I'm not going to get heart-broken. I imported the last few Starfy games, and I'll just do so once more so I can keep playing.

Dascu

Stormbringer said:
Oh, well...

Staff -> Producer is Hiroyuki Kikuchi, Directors are Makoto Shibata and Suda Goichi

Details :
-The game is taking place in a mysterious island which has been related to a kidnapping case in the past. There is, on this island, a gloomy mansion whose walls are decorated of mysterious masks which are part of a puzzle.
-The main character is Ruka Minazuki, which is one of the five girls that have been rescued in this kidnapping case, and one of the three girl that decided to go back to the island (the two other girls being deceased) .
- The magazine talk about how Nintendo is supporting this project, and some mostly known stuff.
- As you can see, the point of view is different this time around, as it's in 3rd person, behind-the-back view. Will probably use the Wiimote functionalities rather extensively.

And...that's pretty much it. Not much as you can see, but still...I think it looks and sounds nice.
Huh?
This Hiroyuki Kikuchi? Are you sure it's not Keisuke Kikuchi?

Also, good to see it's confirmed that Suda is co-directing.

Edit: Oh, damn you! :lol

Twig

Banned
TreIII said:
Which I don't really get, considering Kirby does well enough over here (despite him being made ANGRY in the States), but eh...
Problem solved?

th_81355_stafi_4_122_435lo.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Stafi's never come here because of NOA alone, they think it's too much like a dumbed down Kirby (and it is honestly, we're not missing much). TOSE actually wants to bring it over, they've said as much in interviews... best bet I think would be if an interested 3rd party (Atlus?) approached NOA and TOSE with doing it.

Mechar

Neo Member
First of all; awesome news! Rhythm Tengoku I still haven´t imported, but I´ve heard so good things about it and I really dug The 1UP Show-coverage.
Now, is Rythm Tengoku DS a completely new game or is it a port of the Game Boy Advance one? In wich case, I´m importing this. This and the new Daigaso Band Brothers DX.

Twig

Banned
jarrod said:
Stafi's never come here because of NOA alone, they think it's too much like a dumbed down Kirby (and it is honestly, we're not missing much). TOSE actually wants to bring it over, they've said as much in interviews... best bet I think would be if an interested 3rd party (Atlus?) approached NOA and TOSE with doing it.
Except Nintendo would never let it happen.

See: Mother 3.

TreIII said:
I don't see why they would be so protective.

I mean, TOSE has the reputation of being so secretive, to the point that they don't often allow themselves to get credit for what's due to them. They've made over like 1000 games, but good like finding them all, because they don't allow themselves to get credited. :D

No, what I think is more likely is that NoA, being NoA, thinks that America would not be all that well receiving of another "Cute" franchise like Starfy/Stafy/Stafi. Which I don't really get, considering Kirby does well enough over here (despite him being made ANGRY in the States), but eh...

Whatever the case may be, I'm not going to get heart-broken. I imported the last few Starfy games, and I'll just do so once more so I can keep playing.
Does Kirby do well enough over here?

His sales in Japan are proportionally pretty decent, but in America he seems to do just well enough to justify his continued existence.

Jaruru

neo2046 said:

one of the BEST GBA game!!! I'm so glad they made it to arcade and then DS now. (and possible to Wii later on?) :lol :lol :lol

off topic a bit, I tried to play this game on GameCube's GBA player, it doesn't sound right. there are some delay, graphic/sound doesn't sync. it says on the box that the game is suitable for GBA/SP/micro/DS, is there a reason to exclude GBA player?

Koomaster

OMG! I went to bed too early last night and missed this awesome news! Rhythm Tengoku DS - I'm giddy! TWEWY and RT in one year? Joy! ^___^

I must play RT now in celebration!

jarrod

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Except Nintendo would never let it happen.

See: Mother 3.
Mother's one of Nintendo's prestige titles of course they're not going to let anyone else touch it. Same goes for Zelda, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Metroid, Mario, F-Zero, DK, Star Fox, Wario, etc, etc... Atlus knew the answer for M3 before they asked.

They do let 3rd parties go for the secondary tier and co-produced games though. See: Polarium Advance (Atlus), Cubivore (Atlus), The Tower SP (SEGA).

They also make deals for their bigger brands in other markets (F-Zero AX, Mario Kart AGP, etc) or for brand crossover games (M&S Olympics, Itadaki Street DS, etc).

TreIII

TheOneGuy said:
Problem solved?

th_81355_stafi_4_122_435lo.jpg

:lol :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
Does Kirby do well enough over here?

His sales in Japan are proportionally pretty decent, but in America he seems to do just well enough to justify his continued existence.

Sales for Kirby games can range across the board in the States, it seems.

In recent memory, I had thought that "Nightmare in Dreamland" (GBA Kirby's Adventure Remake) and Canvas Curse probably were the two titles that did the best over here. I'd like to believe that the "formerly a GC title, now upgraded to a Wii title" would probably be next in line, due to it being basically a next-gen sequel to what is indisputably the highest regarded Kirby game (Super Star).

Twig

Banned
jarrod said:
Atlus knew the answer for M3 before they asked.
Did they? Considering that Nintendo of America had absolutely no plans and will never in the future have any plans to bring over Mother 3?

Seems like a reasonable request to me.

EDIT: I am still bitter, okay, let me wallow. O:<

phalestine

aka iby.h
Jaruru said:
one of the BEST GBA game!!! I'm so glad they made it to arcade and then DS now. (and possible to Wii later on?) :lol :lol :lol

off topic a bit, I tried to play this game on GameCube's GBA player, it doesn't sound right. there are some delay, graphic/sound doesn't sync. it says on the box that the game is suitable for GBA/SP/micro/DS, is there a reason to exclude GBA player?

yeah cant wait to try this game with touch screen, and if they make a wii one they need to use the balance board on at least one complication level.

Vinci

Danish
Nintendo, what are you doing? You weren't supposed to be working on anything. I've been plotting out the last half of this year assuming (for no logical reason) that you were simply going to sit on your ass and the only software you'd produce would be an application to help you count the gobs of cash filling your coffers.

What the hell, man?!

Evlar

Banned
Vinci said:
Nintendo, what are you doing? You weren't supposed to be working on anything. I've been plotting out the last half of this year assuming (for no logical reason) that you were simply going to sit on your ass and the only software you'd produce would be an application to help you count the gobs of cash filling your coffers.

What the hell, man?!
I know. Nintendo still makes software? WTF?!

TreIII

..pakbeka.. said:
wario land SHAKE??

wario and mischief makers crossover confirmed

HAH! Don't I wish...

But the sad thing is, for that to even have a CHANCE of happening, Treasure would need to actually own the license (Yuke Yuke Trouble Makers/Mischief Makers). Enix has that, if I remember correctly, and I don't think Treasure or Square Enix are interested in talking.

...That said though, nobody didn't say anything that Treasure couldn't basically make a spiritual sequel starring Wario and an evolution of the Mischief Makers engine.

Hell, the way things are sounding now, with "2D backgrounds" and "cel-shaded characters"? (Not entirely unlike what MM did back on the 64?) That's actually starting to sound half-way FEASIBLE! And I could easily imagine Wario using Marina's abilities to be even more of a bastard to people than usual! :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
..pakbeka.. said:
wario land SHAKE??

wario and mischief makers crossover confirmed
TreIII said:
HAH! Don't I wish...

But the sad thing is, for that to even have a CHANCE of happening, Treasure would need to actually own the license (Yuke Yuke Trouble Makers/Mischief Makers). Enix has that, if I remember correctly, and I don't think Treasure or Square Enix are interested in talking.

...That said though, nobody didn't say anything that Treasure couldn't basically make a spiritual sequel starring Wario and an evolution of the Mischief Makers engine.

Hell, the way things are sounding now, with "2D backgrounds" and "cel-shaded characters"? (Not entirely unlike what MM did back on the 64?) That's actually starting to sound half-way FEASIBLE! And I could easily imagine Wario using Marina's abilities to be even more of a bastard to people than usual! :lol
You guys are giving me dream fodder.

Pixe said:
Rhythm Tengoku Gold
(C) 2008 Nintendo (C) 2008 Tsunku Co-developed by TNX

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=7906&c_num=14

So basically, Nintendo now announces only games that are finished, right?

Stormbringer said:
More DS dates listing :

DS Nanashi no Game 7/3
DS Dragon Quest V 7/17
DS Knights in the Nightmare 7/17
DS Metal Slug 7 7/17
DS Twilight Syndrome 7/24
DS Steal Princess 7/31
DS New International Track and Field 7/24

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/soutahouse/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/index.html

Jesus, the summer looks fucking packed for the DS in Japan...

Nintendo needs more "DS Lite Pack with X game" to sell more hardware.

The biggest release is Dragon Quest V. Nintendo should give us New Super Mario Bros. 2.

TreIII

Alaluef said:
You guys are giving me dream fodder.

I just made that basic concept up in my mind in over the course of like 35 seconds, and I'm already salivating over it. :lol

It would just make sense, to me, though.

With all of the various stuff that Treasure's made as of late, they've been going back mainly to a lot of the stuff that did so well for them many moons ago. Some have been direct sequels, while some have had to change face in the name of license holders and publisher demands (Guardian Heroes -> Bleach DS), but the overall gist is there.

Trouble Makers and S&P are probably among the last of Treasure's biggest old-school properties that have yet to get a sequel/follow-up of some sort. And they were both games for the 64.

...now, we hear that Treasure's got two projects planned for the Nintendo Wii. What am I bid that both of these games are probably going to be "spiritual successors" to the 64 titles, in at least some shape or form, even if they're NOT direct sequels?

...Hell, manually shaking the Wii mote, to make Wario "Shake" like Marian did, wouldn't be a necessarily bad design choice in any way...

Top Bottom